TDEE & BMR: What they are and what to do with them

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The hrm is a ft7. I did not use it to estimate lifting calories...just cardio. I never enter lifting calories because I can't be sure what it actually burns. I did use light active for the base number. The lower TDEE was with the hrm cal counts (cardio), the higher TDEE was from the simple setup (I assume it was higher because of the lifting...since I don't usually log that).

That would be the reason why then. And that lifting line is for that specific type of workout since the burn is low, sets and rests between.

I'll bet anything your HRM has underestimated your VO2max, which means you are getting underestimated calorie burns, since you are cardio fit.

But lifting does count, it still uses decent amount of energy merely for mechanical movement during the workout, calories your body doesn't get to use for actual improvement.
    So it needs to count.

Sounds like the TDEE Deficit tab estimate would probably end up about the same once you got a lifting estimate in there.

That's why I suggest the Simple Setup if a steady routine.
    Use the HRM to confirm you are pushing as hard as you normally do, no slacking. But skip the calorie count info with it. Just use it for what it was actually designed for, monitoring HR.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The hrm is a ft7. I did not use it to estimate lifting calories...just cardio. I never enter lifting calories because I can't be sure what it actually burns. I did use light active for the base number. The lower TDEE was with the hrm cal counts (cardio), the higher TDEE was from the simple setup (I assume it was higher because of the lifting...since I don't usually log that).

That would be the reason why then. And that lifting line is for that specific type of workout since the burn is low, sets and rests between.

I'll bet anything your HRM has underestimated your VO2max, which means you are getting underestimated calorie burns, since you are cardio fit.

But lifting does count, it still uses decent amount of energy merely for mechanical movement during the workout, calories your body doesn't get to use for actual improvement.
    So it needs to count.

Sounds like the TDEE Deficit tab estimate would probably end up about the same once you got a lifting estimate in there.

That's why I suggest the Simple Setup if a steady routine.
    Use the HRM to confirm you are pushing as hard as you normally do, no slacking. But skip the calorie count info with it. Just use it for what it was actually designed for, monitoring HR.

So I should be using the simple setup TDEE minus 20% then, correct? That has me at approx 2200 cals per day....seems crzy, but ill give it a few weeks and reevaluate. Thanks for your help!
  • heybales
    Options
    So I should be using the simple setup TDEE minus 20% then, correct? That has me at approx 2200 cals per day....seems crzy, but ill give it a few weeks and reevaluate. Thanks for your help!

Well, I'd suggest follow the TDEG, which is based on the fact you are weight lifting, which helps retain muscle mass, and the macro recommendation, with enough protein to help retain muscle mass, and your loss amount, which may mean you can support bigger deficit doing the other too.

You may be able to get by with more than 20% for brief period.

You can raise calories slowly up to that point too. Like 100 or 200 more daily for a week or two at a time.

I'd also suggest dividing the daily time between labor and service trades for your daily time, labor level is like walking up to 3 mph type level of intensity. I doubt all day all min is really that level. Probably more standing around and moving slower than that.
    So TDEE may be a tad higher than needed.
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • puuka
    puuka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OK, trying to figure this all out. I have figured my BMR at 1886. TDEE is 2924 so a 15% cut will be 2486 calories per day. I have entered in 2486 in MFP and updated all the macros accordingly. I attend Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping 6 days a week - 45 minute classes - 3 days of kick boxing and 3 days of resistance bands. If I am understanding correctly, on days of resistance bands, I don't burn as many calories so no need to eat back exercise calories but on days of kickboxing I burn more calories and need to eat back at least enough to equal taking in 1886 calories. Correct?
  • heybales
    Options
    OK, trying to figure this all out. I have figured my BMR at 1886. TDEE is 2924 so a 15% cut will be 2486 calories per day. I have entered in 2486 in MFP and updated all the macros accordingly. I attend Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping 6 days a week - 45 minute classes - 3 days of kick boxing and 3 days of resistance bands. If I am understanding correctly, on days of resistance bands, I don't burn as many calories so no need to eat back exercise calories but on days of kickboxing I burn more calories and need to eat back at least enough to equal taking in 1886 calories. Correct?

Not correct.

So you picked a TDEE level that INCLUDED exercise of 3-5 hrs weekly already.
    You would not eat back what you already included in your estimate of total burn.
    You would eat the same daily as you just spread your weekly workouts to avg daily, so would do the same for your eating level.

Now, to your probably bad estimate trying to play it on what you think is the safe side of picking a TDEE level.

Classes is 4.5 hrs all by itself.
    Then how long is the kickboxing 3 x weekly?
    How long is the resistance training 3 x weekly, and does it have you going until sore and worn out?

You still somehow thinking 3-5 hrs weekly applies in your case?
    And is your normal 40 hrs job time indeed a sedentary desk job with nothing but sitting?
    If more active than that, you just went up a level just for that.
    Don't shoot your body in the metabolism trying to play it safe.

If you still want rough estimate, use this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

If you want a best estimate and track progress, use this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for setting me straight. Now to take a deep gulp and eat that many that many calories a day! LOL. I know it's the way to do it but my mind keeps telling me I am crazy!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for setting me straight. Now to take a deep gulp and eat that many that many calories a day! LOL. I know it's the way to do it but my mind keeps telling me I am crazy!!

Never fear, unless you actually logged what you used to eat accurately that got you in to trouble when you might not even have done any exercise, you have no idea what is high or low.
  • sanvanhaaften
    Options
    Bump!
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So after doing 1 weeks boot camp (residential) last month it has finally given me the bug - and FINALLY convinced me that weight loss is so much less important than monitoring my lean muscle mass. That said I am still 167lb and 5'5'' so weight loss as well as fitness is definitely key.

Whilst on the bootcamp, by the leaders own admission, the calorie intake was extreme and not sustainable (1200 flat per day)

Since returning I have stuck to 1200 NET every day and made sure to work out at least 5 times per week taking care to eat most if not all of my exercise calories.

Although I hear everyone about lifting weight - that is still to sink in so I will take that when I am ready.

However having read this forum I realise that possibly I am not eating enough calories. I went to the scooby link to determine my TDEE. This indicated that my TDEE is 2335 and that in order to lose weight I need to eat 1868 ( I have rounded down to 1800) Please can someone clarify once and for all......

If;

I eat 1800 on my rest days then eat 1800 + my exercise calories on active days - this is the way to do it effectively?? I wont put on weight but quite the contrary? Once I know for certain I will amend my details in MFP and give this whole 'eating more' thing a go!
  • heybales
    Options
    However having read this forum I realise that possibly I am not eating enough calories. I went to the scooby link to determine my TDEE. This indicated that my TDEE is 2335 and that in order to lose weight I need to eat 1868 ( I have rounded down to 1800) Please can someone clarify once and for all......

If;

I eat 1800 on my rest days then eat 1800 + my exercise calories on active days - this is the way to do it effectively?? I wont put on weight but quite the contrary? Once I know for certain I will amend my details in MFP and give this whole 'eating more' thing a go!

Did you pick a TDEE level that included that intended exercise time?

So already included in the TDEE estimate, weekly level taken to a daily average.......
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

If;

Did you pick a TDEE level that included that intended exercise time?

So already included in the TDEE estimate, weekly level taken to a daily average.......

Yes on the above calculations I did - however I have since amended them and based on my day job adjusted to sedentary which allows a net of 1430 which is what I will aim for then eat my exercise cals. I prefer to do daily than on weekly average as i feel more in control! This will mean I will be eating approx 1900 on exercise days which feels more realistic than what I have been sticking to! thank you for the clarification.
  • mkakids
    Options
    I still wouldnCan you clarify something for me? I know the goal is to eat a static amount each day based on activity level throughout the week, but if I go over one day then under the next is that Ok? Or should I avoid it as much as possible? I'm not talking about a huge amount (say eating 500 of the 2000 tdee calories one day and 3500 the next) but a small amount around 150 cals or so? I still wouldn't be under my bmr for the day.
  • heybales
    Options
    I still wouldnCan you clarify something for me? I know the goal is to eat a static amount each day based on activity level throughout the week, but if I go over one day then under the next is that Ok? Or should I avoid it as much as possible? I'm not talking about a huge amount (say eating 500 of the 2000 tdee calories one day and 3500 the next) but a small amount around 150 cals or so? I still wouldn't be under my bmr for the day.

That's not bad as long as you make it up. Because the low burn days with what appears as extra really makes up for the big burn days where it would appear as too big deficit.

But that's what nice about doing daily the same, habit of ability to eat right amount.
    Later when at maintenance and eating a whole lot more in general, can do the exercise eat back and make each day correct for activity.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Ok, so I upped my calories to 2k for the past month (my tdeg is 2200), with the plan of upping it to 2200 after a month had passed.

I have lost 2lbs in the past month, does that mean I should keep it at 2k, or up it again?
  • mkakids
    Options
    Ok, so I upped my calories to 2k for the past month (my tdeg is 2200), with the plan of upping it to 2200 after a month had passed.

I have lost 2lbs in the past month, does that mean I should keep it at 2k, or up it again?
  • heybales
    Options

So it appears you have a 250 cal deficit daily if that was constant through the month loss. If it was last 2 weeks, then metabolism went up and created a bigger deficit.

But how do you know that is a deficit from potential full burning TDEE, or a slightly suppressed TDEE?
    If you were eating at suppressed TDEE prior where you did not lose any weight or measurements, you know it's possible then to have a suppressed TDEE and have no actual deficit in place.

So also here, except you have some deficit. But is it what you could have?

Your eating 200 more may allow your body to feel comfortable enough to allow a deficit of 400-500 to be created. Wouldn't that be better?

Plus confirming that TDEE for this weekly routine is correct. After reaching point of no loss, you eat 250 more daily for 2 weeks - should be 1 lb slow gain over those 2 weeks.
    If it's not, you still had suppressed TDEE.

Or you can stick at TDEG and see if inches and weight loss hold up to the expected amount.
  • acecoop
    acecoop Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try, I can do 4 or 5 meals a day don't think I can do 6
    How can I make this work on the weekends which is my bad time, we eat in during the week but maybe friday night or after church on sunday we go out to a restraunt, do you eat a lighter breakfast or flop to 3 meals to be able to have a little more calories? I have read more of the post here, but I'm at lunch now so I figured I'd send this out.
    Thanks in advance
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try, I can do 4 or 5 meals a day don't think I can do 6
    How can I make this work on the weekends which is my bad time, we eat in during the week but maybe friday night or after church on sunday we go out to a restraunt, do you eat a lighter breakfast or flop to 3 meals to be able to have a little more calories? I have read more of the post here, but I'm at lunch now so I figured I'd send this out.
    Thanks in advance

6 meals a day not needed. Myth that it has any bearing on metabolism. Personal preference.

Indeed eat less at other meals.
    And if you know where you are going and what they have, find the calories for it and plan.

Planning and preparation are important keys to success. Spur the moment decisions rarely work out well.