TDEE & BMR: What they are and what to do with them

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I upped to 2200 and have lost2lbs in the last 4 days as opposed to 2lbs the month before!

That's called the whoosh effect, water retained in the fat cells - probably have some measurements go down too.

Usually happens after finally eating enough carbs, so you may indeed be close to TDEE.
    Measure after that water weight loss.

Because you know you didn't create a device of 1750 calories each day for 4 days for that 2 lbs to be fat, right.

So now its been about 3 weeks eating at 2200 calories. Beyond the first woosh, I haven't lost anything, just maintained. I want to go back down to 2000 calories where I was losing about 1\2lb a week, but I want to make sure that 3 weeks is enough time. Should I give it a couple more weeks or drop down to 2000 now? Thanks for all your help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I upped to 2200 and have lost2lbs in the last 4 days as opposed to 2lbs the month before!

That's called the whoosh effect, water retained in the fat cells - probably have some measurements go down too.

Usually happens after finally eating enough carbs, so you may indeed be close to TDEE.
    Measure after that water weight loss.

Because you know you didn't create a device of 1750 calories each day for 4 days for that 2 lbs to be fat, right.

So now its been about 3 weeks eating at 2200 calories. Beyond the first woosh, I haven't lost anything, just maintained. I want to go back down to 2000 calories where I was losing about 1\2lb a week, but I want to make sure that 3 weeks is enough time. Should I give it a couple more weeks or drop down to 2000 now? Thanks for all your help!

You get 4 weeks, because your BMR literally does change through the month.

This is from another post I'm putting together with interesting info for the ladies.

So then you could take your goal based on BMR or TDEE (which is still based on BMR) x 1.06% for high BMR days, and x 94% for the low BMR days.

So that's the potential range of TDEE you could have.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was referred to this group by a member in response to a question I asked on another thread.

I am 55, hypothyroid (SLUGGISH metabolism), Type 2, and pretty sedentary. Need to lose 75+ pounds. I'm starting to walk everyday (albeit not very fast). I am trying to figure out how many calories I should eat (by BMR is 1640) every day to lose at least 1 pound a week. Can someone please help? Thanks so much.
  • stacy71773
    Options
    Ok, I'm in the same boat and need some help clarifying.

Right now I sit at a desk all day long. I am using this as my daily activity level because if I exercise I'd like to eat those calories back as they show up automatically through my fitbit. Right now my schedule is really hectic so exercise has unfortunately not been a top priority :grumble:

According to Scooby's here's my stats:

BMR: 1405
    TDEE: 1686
    Daily Calories: 1433

So does this sound right, I eat the 1433 and ONLY if I get off my butt to exercise, I get to eat those calories burned in addition to the 1433?

Thank you to anyone that can help me out with this...I really appreciate it :flowerforyou:
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • donnar18
    donnar18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My struggles make much more sense now, as a result I have just changed my MFP Goal settings - do I need to change my MFP Net Calories Goal to the same as my Cut Value (TDEE - 20%) OR should I keep I keep it at 1,200 but eat any NET calories that come up now that I have adjusted the custom settings?

Scoobyworkshop readings: BMR = 1534, TDEE = 1840, Cut Value (TDEE -205) = 1472

Wow, I have learnt so much from this article. I am an exercise newbie and had no idea what BMR & TDEE were never mind Cut Value. I have been using MFP for some time now with a focus to loose weight and couldn't understand why some weeks I worked to had and ate less than my target but still didn't loose any weight. So I googled "What does NET mean in MFP" and came across a discussion that led me to 'AnewLucia'.
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, I'm in the same boat and need some help clarifying.

Right now I sit at a desk all day long. I am using this as my daily activity level because if I exercise I'd like to eat those calories back as they show up automatically through my fitbit. Right now my schedule is really hectic so exercise has unfortunately not been a top priority :grumble:

According to Scooby's here's my stats:

BMR: 1405
    TDEE: 1686
    Daily Calories: 1433

So does this sound right, I eat the 1433 and ONLY if I get off my butt to exercise, I get to eat those calories burned in addition to the 1433?

Thank you to anyone that can help me out with this...I really appreciate it :flowerforyou:

Your's is easy then using FitBit.

Set MFP Activity level to Sedentary.
    Set weight loss goal to Maintain.
    Exercise goals don't matter and you've probably never even noticed them on the exercise tab, most don't.
    Save out.
    Now go manually change your goals.

Take what MFP has as your daily maintenance (what is without exercise expected) less 20% deficit, that is your new NET eating goal daily.

Change the macros to whatever is useful, protein at 0.82 grams per lb of weight is great, fat at 0.3 g / lb, carbs the rest.
    Save out.
    Set FitBit syncs to positive and negative.

Now, you have 20% deficit from sedentary daily activity as eating goal.
    When you do more according to your FitBit, you'll receive positive adjustments, eat them all back. But you also lose some if negative.
    Plan your day well and meet your goals.

As weight comes off MFP will change the daily maintenance amount after about 5-10 lbs, redo the 20% deficit then too, well, make it 15% if at 20 lbs left, 10% if at 10 lbs left.
  • heybales
    Options
    I was referred to this group by a member in response to a question I asked on another thread.

I am 55, hypothyroid (SLUGGISH metabolism), Type 2, and pretty sedentary. Need to lose 75+ pounds. I'm starting to walk everyday (albeit not very fast). I am trying to figure out how many calories I should eat (by BMR is 1640) every day to lose at least 1 pound a week. Can someone please help? Thanks so much.

You won't have the exercise routine nor the TDEE to support 1 lb weekly.

Well, unless of course you desire the weight off, and don't care if some of it is muscle mass?

Does that matter to you, to lose muscle mass and a higher metabolism?
  • heybales
    Options
    My struggles make much more sense now, as a result I have just changed my MFP Goal settings - do I need to change my MFP Net Calories Goal to the same as my Cut Value (TDEE - 20%) OR should I keep I keep it at 1,200 but eat any NET calories that come up now that I have adjusted the custom settings?

Scoobyworkshop readings: BMR = 1534, TDEE = 1840, Cut Value (TDEE -205) = 1472

Wow, I have learnt so much from this article. I am an exercise newbie and had no idea what BMR & TDEE were never mind Cut Value. I have been using MFP for some time now with a focus to loose weight and couldn't understand why some weeks I worked to had and ate less than my target but still didn't loose any weight. So I googled "What does NET mean in MFP" and came across a discussion that led me to 'AnewLucia'.

Don't make the math harder, manually change the goal.

If you do exercise that you really did include in that TDEE exercise level, you don't eat that back. If you did more, you do.
  • aspirina750
    Options
    Hi there, after reading the whole thread I have some questions regarding the numbers, I used the scooby calci and it gave me this numbers: BMR 1925, TDEE 2310 and TDEE-20 1848, then I went to MFP and because I use a Fitbit I did the setup with sedentary, no weight loss and no workouts and it gave me a 2260 target so 2260-20% = 1808.
    I usually log my workouts into Fitbit so today at 19:43 it tells me that I burned 3212 kcal and MFP is asking me to eat 3165 kcal in total. Isn't that a bit high? Did I set it up everything correctly? And do I eat all those Kcal? It's a lot to eat after doing 1600-1800 a day for the last 2 months.....

Thanks
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi there, after reading the whole thread I have some questions regarding the numbers, I used the scooby calci and it gave me this numbers: BMR 1925, TDEE 2310 and TDEE-20 1848, then I went to MFP and because I use a Fitbit I did the setup with sedentary, no weight loss and no workouts and it gave me a 2260 target so 2260-20% = 1808.
    I usually log my workouts into Fitbit so today at 19:43 it tells me that I burned 3212 kcal and MFP is asking me to eat 3165 kcal in total. Isn't that a bit high? Did I set it up everything correctly? And do I eat all those Kcal? It's a lot to eat after doing 1600-1800 a day for the last 2 months.....

Thanks

Is your daily life without exercise truly sedentary? Sounds like big gap between reality and your selection, though you have the principle right.

Bump up to Lightly Active, take off the 15% this group advocates (or 20%).

The difference in numbers between Scooby and MFP is because you used different BMR methods. MFP uses Mifflin, at 1808. Scooby must have been Harris you selected at 1925.

Stick with MFP, but follow directions right above.

Then your adjustments won't be so big.

And no, you should take 15-20% off the positive adjustments for exercise. After all, if you did it as recommended and included the exercise in the TDEE level, it would get a deficit there.
  • aspirina750
    Options

Thanks

Is your daily life without exercise truly sedentary? Sounds like big gap between reality and your selection, though you have the principle right.

Bump up to Lightly Active, take off the 15% this group advocates (or 20%).

The difference in numbers between Scooby and MFP is because you used different BMR methods. MFP uses Mifflin, at 1808. Scooby must have been Harris you selected at 1925.

Stick with MFP, but follow directions right above.

Then your adjustments won't be so big.

And no, you should take 15-20% off the positive adjustments for exercise. After all, if you did it as recommended and included the exercise in the TDEE level, it would get a deficit there.

Thanks, I do cardio 4 times a week with an average of 700kcal burned and then strength training with a PT twice a week, and I run a restaurant so my daily steps count goes around 16 to 24k steps.

Thing is that if I use the active option it gives me 2620 Kcal so take out a 20% and after a workout like today I would end eating 2700kcal...

If I get this correctly I should setup the fitness profile in MFP to active and the goal to maintain weight, take 15 or 20% off of the value and then eat only 80% of the Fitbit calories adjustment. Is that correct?

Sorry for my english and thanks!

Edit:

Just did it, current values are 2096 goal and exercise adjustment -1451, that is probably because MFP didn't change the MFP burned calories when I changed to active so if I take the 3708 Fitbit expected calories - 2620 MFP calories = 1088 kcal then I take the 20% and it gives me 870, so 870 + 2097= 2966 kcal to be eating TDEE-20

Correct?

Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks, I do cardio 4 times a week with an average of 700kcal burned and then strength training with a PT twice a week, and I run a restaurant so my daily steps count goes around 16 to 24k steps.

Thing is that if I use the active option it gives me 2620 Kcal so take out a 20% and after a workout like today I would end eating 2700kcal...

If I get this correctly I should setup the fitness profile in MFP to active and the goal to maintain weight, take 15 or 20% off of the value and then eat only 80% of the Fitbit calories adjustment. Is that correct?

Sorry for my english and thanks!

Edit:

Just did it, current values are 2096 goal and exercise adjustment -1451, that is probably because MFP didn't change the MFP burned calories when I changed to active so if I take the 3708 Fitbit expected calories - 2620 MFP calories = 1088 kcal then I take the 20% and it gives me 870, so 870 + 2097= 2966 kcal to be eating TDEE-20

Correct?

Thanks!

I had a feeling you weren't being realistic, running a restaurant on your feet all day.
    You ain't lightly active either.

You are correct on Active option, maintain.

So MFP is using:
    BMR - 1807
    Activity factor 1.45 Active
    Non-exercise maintenance - 2620

You manually set the daily NET goal to 2096.

You log your lifting workouts in MFP from the database for the better estimated calorie burn. It may seem low compared to cardio and that is true. But it's higher than FitBit which is terrible at estimating that.
    But you take the value given x 0.8 to get 20% deficit off those calories.

Any FitBit positive adjustments that come across you correct to same 20% off.

And yes, you would eat the more to keep a reasonable deficit.

So you reach your goal numbers.

I actually got lost in your math on that last part, and that's saying a lot for me frankly. ;-)

Let me re-arrange.
    It sounds like FitBit saw your TDEE today as 3708.
    Your expected daily maintenance of 2620 means you burned 1088 more than expected.
    1088 - 20% = 870 workout or whatever calories.

870 + net goal 2097 = 2967

As young Frederick in Pirates of Penzance says to the Pirate King and Mabel - "yes yes, with yours my figures do agree"

I'd say you understand the principal most excellently.
  • aspirina750
    Options
    Thanks a lot!

Starting today :)
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do I need to eat MORE? The explanation of the EMTWL philosophy in this thread was really helpful, thank you. I'd love some clarification and reassurance:

BMR 1656,according to the Scooby Calculator.
    TDEE 3148, according to the Scooby Calculator, based on 7-21 hours a week of strenuous activity.
    According to my Jawbone UP (I log weight lifting and Pilates in it, do at least 10,000 steps a day) and factoring in the burn I get from my HRM for cardio, my TDEE is anywhere between 2500 - 3500 calories burned a day.

I do cardio every day, I lift weights 3-4 times a week, I've also started doing Pilates on the days I don't lift.

My diary is open. I try to eat around 2000 calories a day or more, but I don't understand what my net goal should be, or what my weekly net calories should be. What should I adjust my goal to?
    My weight loss has slowed recently but I've had an inconsistent month with about ten days off exercise and tracking.

I don't believe I need a metabolism reset because I started on MyFitnessPal eating around 1700 calories and losing consistently, and I upped that when I realised I needed to eat more. My appetite has increased since the start of the year as I do even more exercise (and especially when I lift).
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Travis_Lee_II Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do I need to eat MORE? The explanation of the EMTWL philosophy in this thread was really helpful, thank you. I'd love some clarification and reassurance:

TDEE 3148, according to the Scooby Calculator, based on 7-21 hours a week of strenuous activity.
    According to my Jawbone UP (I log weight lifting and Pilates in it, do at least 10,000 steps a day) and factoring in the burn I get from my HRM for cardio, my TDEE is anywhere between 2500 - 3500 calories burned a day.

I do cardio every day, I lift weights 3-4 times a week, I've also started doing Pilates on the days I don't lift.

My diary is open. I try to eat around 2000 calories a day or more, but I don't understand what my net goal should be, or what my weekly net calories should be. What should I adjust my goal to?
    My weight loss has slowed recently but I've had an inconsistent month with about ten days off exercise and tracking.

I don't believe I need a metabolism reset because I started on MyFitnessPal eating around 1700 calories and losing consistently, and I upped that when I realised I needed to eat more. My appetite has increased since the start of the year as I do even more exercise (and especially when I lift).

I am by no means a genius at this stuff but it depends on how much you want to lose. At Scooby they have a cut percentage where you can differentiate how much you wanna cut from your TDEE to lose weight. Technically you can eat above your BMR and lose weight. How much above your BMR is personal preference. My opinion is make sure your activity level is correct (like add up the hours and such since Scooby counts the hours working out) and then determine what is a safe percentage for you. I'd personally try to eat as much as I can (under your TDEE of course) since you seem to work out quite often. For example a 15% cut is reasonable. Hope I helped a tad bit. Someone more knowledgeable please step in! lol
  • heybales
    Options

Wow, is all that exercise for the purpose of weight loss, or training for something, or improving your body fitness-wise?

Because for weight and only fat loss, it will become very counter productive.

Diet is a stress, frequent intense exercise is a stress, other life things are stressful.
    Stress messes with hormones, and fights again fat and weight loss.

Besides, exercise if done right tears the body down.
    Rest, for recovery and repair is what actually builds it back up again better, if the nutrition allows it.

Your body can't possibly be getting as good a response from the exercise as it could with that much activity, even pros recognize you must have recovery days for hard days, and taking a break to allow best improvement from workouts.

Now, perhaps without the time element in there the activity seems exaggerated, so you might use this as rough guide to your time and still use the rough 5 level TDEE part. For instance, if that cardio is just some good calm recovery walking - great job. If it's sprint intervals everyday mixed in with lifting, bad idea.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

As to eating more, depends on how much deficit you should take, and how close you are to goal weight determines a reasonable deficit.
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    I am by no means a genius at this stuff but it depends on how much you want to lose. At Scooby they have a cut percentage where you can differentiate how much you wanna cut from your TDEE to lose weight. Technically you can eat above your BMR and lose weight. How much above your BMR is personal preference. My opinion is make sure your activity level is correct (like add up the hours and such since Scooby counts the hours working out) and then determine what is a safe percentage for you. I'd personally try to eat as much as I can (under your TDEE of course) since you seem to work out quite often. For example a 15% cut is reasonable. Hope I helped a tad bit. Someone more knowledgeable please step in! lol

Thank you :)
  • kathleenjoyful
    Options
    Wow, is all that exercise for the purpose of weight loss, or training for something, or improving your body fitness-wise?

Because for weight and only fat loss, it will become very counter productive.

Diet is a stress, frequent intense exercise is a stress, other life things are stressful.
    Stress messes with hormones, and fights again fat and weight loss.

Besides, exercise if done right tears the body down.
    Rest, for recovery and repair is what actually builds it back up again better, if the nutrition allows it.

Your body can't possibly be getting as good a response from the exercise as it could with that much activity, even pros recognize you must have recovery days for hard days, and taking a break to allow best improvement from workouts.

Now, perhaps without the time element in there the activity seems exaggerated, so you might use this as rough guide to your time and still use the rough 5 level TDEE part. For instance, if that cardio is just some good calm recovery walking - great job. If it's sprint intervals everyday mixed in with lifting, bad idea.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

As to eating more, depends on how much deficit you should take, and how close you are to goal weight determines a reasonable deficit.

This is a really good reality check that I don't rest enough, thank you. I'm not training for anything, my purpose is fitness and fat/weight loss. I am already really fit and strong at my weight - 88kgs (194lbs). I have a stressful job so exercise helps with that and my mental health.

I'm 5"4 and I'd like to lose at least another 8kgs (17lbs) to get to 80kgs (176lbs). I may to decide to lose more at that weight but I will decide how I feel and look when I get there. I'm not far off my first goal weight, I guess. I put 75kgs (165lbs) in the spreadsheet as my goal.

The spreadsheet was really helpful. Thank you for making it! I used a body fat estimate and adjusted my activity minutes to factor in more rest time. My TDEE would then be 2,866 and TDEG 2,330 (18.7% deficit based on 13kgs left to lose and 75% heavy cardio to lifting ratio). That would give me a loss of 0.5kgs (1.1lbs) a week. I generally eat around 2000-2200 calories a day so hopefully I am on track. I've had a (positive) adjustment in thinkng about eating more, so now I need to readjust how I think about the loss on the scale being smaller. I've noticed a dramatic difference in my body recently despite slower weight loss, so hopefully my approach will continue to work while being mindful of more recovery and rest.

I'm happy to hear any other advice and opinions, too!