Replies

• acecoop
    acecoop Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I upped my calories to 2k for the past month (my tdeg is 2200), with the plan of upping it to 2200 after a month had passed.

I have lost 2lbs in the past month, does that mean I should keep it at 2k, or up it again?

So it appears you have a 250 cal deficit daily if that was constant through the month loss. If it was last 2 weeks, then metabolism went up and created a bigger deficit.

But how do you know that is a deficit from potential full burning TDEE, or a slightly suppressed TDEE?
    If you were eating at suppressed TDEE prior where you did not lose any weight or measurements, you know it's possible then to have a suppressed TDEE and have no actual deficit in place.

So also here, except you have some deficit. But is it what you could have?

Your eating 200 more may allow your body to feel comfortable enough to allow a deficit of 400-500 to be created. Wouldn't that be better?

Plus confirming that TDEE for this weekly routine is correct. After reaching point of no loss, you eat 250 more daily for 2 weeks - should be 1 lb slow gain over those 2 weeks.
    If it's not, you still had suppressed TDEE.

Or you can stick at TDEG and see if inches and weight loss hold up to the expected amount.

I upped to 2200 and have lost2lbs in the last 4 days as opposed to 2lbs the month before!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I upped to 2200 and have lost2lbs in the last 4 days as opposed to 2lbs the month before!

That's called the whoosh effect, water retained in the fat cells - probably have some measurements go down too.

Usually happens after finally eating enough carbs, so you may indeed be close to TDEE.
    Measure after that water weight loss.

Because you know you didn't create a device of 1750 calories each day for 4 days for that 2 lbs to be fat, right.
  • deniselouisea
    deniselouisea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello.....Here are some quotes to motivate myself and anyone else who reads this..:blushing:
    Success is not a race, be patient.
    Success leads to success.
    Success is always a work in progress.
    Success doesn't come to you--you go to it..
    I Really want to achieve my goal weigh and when I can to encourage someone else.!...... I've attempted weight loss on this site before..but I usually stop after a week or so....looking forward to logging on here everyday.. .. Looking to connect with others to reach my goal and stick with this...... Denise..:heart:
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • miller32807
    miller32807 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey, I haven't read through all the comments here, so if I'm repeating, I'm sorry. I've done my TDEE on several sites, and using the scooby site, it says my TDEE is 1976, using the setting for desk job with little exercise. However, I've had my heart rate monitor on since midnight, and it's only 9pm now, and I've already burned 2650 calories, and I have done nothing but sleep and sit all day (I'm off work today). So I'm assuming that using my HRM is even more accurate than using the equations online, and that I should believe the numbers on my HRM is my actual total daily energy expenditure, without even adding any exercise into the equation?

Hope that was easy enough to understand :)
  • heybales
    Options
    Hey, I haven't read through all the comments here, so if I'm repeating, I'm sorry. I've done my TDEE on several sites, and using the scooby site, it says my TDEE is 1976, using the setting for desk job with little exercise. However, I've had my heart rate monitor on since midnight, and it's only 9pm now, and I've already burned 2650 calories, and I have done nothing but sleep and sit all day (I'm off work today). So I'm assuming that using my HRM is even more accurate than using the equations online, and that I should believe the numbers on my HRM is my actual total daily energy expenditure, without even adding any exercise into the equation?

Hope that was easy enough to understand :)

Bad assumption, the HRM formula's for calculating calories based on HR are only valid for steady-state exercise, so HR about the same for 2-5 min at a time, in the aerobic HR zone, about 90 to your anaerobic HR zone, perhaps about 150-170.
    Anaerobic exercise like lifting or sprints, which are also non-steady state, and below exercise, will be inflated.
    Your HR at lower level has little to do with calorie burn.

In other words - no you can't use your HRM values for TDEE.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step:

I have received this question quite a few times so hopefully this will help (of course please plug in your own numbers).

Let's say your TDEE is 2300 then you subtract 15% so that you now have your cut value of 1955.

Let's say your BMR is 1500.

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.

Here is a video that you should watch that may answer questions you may still have right now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQF3_8LVI8&feature=g-upl

If you have decided to do a full Metabolism Reset, then you would eat your TDEE value daily. You would still be sure not to NET below your BMR on any workout day.

Ok, I think I have this set up correctly but I have a question.
    My BMR = 1423
    TDEE = 2455
    20% reduction = 1964 which is the total amount I will eat

For fitness goals i put the difference between my BMR and TDEE which is 532 calories - took it times 6 for the weekly goal.
    Where I am concerned is the Diet Profile which states:
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,080 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,964 calories/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 116 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 0.2 lbs/week - so does this mean I am going to gain weight? Why is it positive?

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!
    Lori
  • heybales
    Options
    My BMR = 1423
    TDEE = 2455

For fitness goals i put the difference between my BMR and TDEE which is 532 calories - took it times 6 for the weekly goal.
    Calories Burned
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Projected Weight Loss 0.2 lbs/week - so does this mean I am going to gain weight? Why is it positive?

Lori

Don't mix up and confuse Diet goal with fitness goals - the are on different tabs and math is not used between them. Have you even noticed the fitness goals on the fitness tab? Most don't.

So leaving that out of the discussion since it doesn't matter.

You just gave MFP an eating goal that INCLUDED exercise (1964)
    It has as daily maintenance a total that does NOT include exercise (2080)

Smaller assumed daily burn (2080) minus bigger goal eating (1964) equals appearance of little loss (116).

MFP math can't work on what you are looking at, because they assume no exercise until done and logged - which you already included it in your eating goal.

Figure your own deficit and weight loss about.

TDEE - eating goal = deficit calories daily.

3500 / that deficit = days to lose a lb of fat. (7)
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My BMR = 1423
    TDEE = 2455

Calories Burned
    Net Calories Consumed*

Lori

Don't mix up and confuse Diet goal with fitness goals - the are on different tabs and math is not used between them. Have you even noticed the fitness goals on the fitness tab? Most don't.

So leaving that out of the discussion since it doesn't matter.

You just gave MFP an eating goal that INCLUDED exercise (1964)
    It has as daily maintenance a total that does NOT include exercise (2080)

Smaller assumed daily burn (2080) minus bigger goal eating (1964) equals appearance of little loss (116).

MFP math can't work on what you are looking at, because they assume no exercise until done and logged - which you already included it in your eating goal.

Figure your own deficit and weight loss about.

TDEE - eating goal = deficit calories daily.

3500 / that deficit = days to lose a lb of fat. (7)

Thank you. I was confused since they were both on the same tab in MFP so I was thinking I was doing something incorrectly. Thanks again!
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Travis_Lee_II Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know what TDEE and BMR means (been reading a lot of posts! lol.) My only question is which TDEE do I use... I plan on cutting the cardio for a while and this would put me in the 1-3 hour exercise portion... With the cardio I've always been a moderate level. Just was wondering do I stick to moderate even though I won't be doing it on my reset or do I change it down knowing that when my reset is over I'll add the cardio again? Maybe a dumb question but to me it doesn't seem like it lol. Any help would be appreciated.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I know what TDEE and BMR means (been reading a lot of posts! lol.) My only question is which TDEE do I use... I plan on cutting the cardio for a while and this would put me in the 1-3 hour exercise portion... With the cardio I've always been a moderate level. Just was wondering do I stick to moderate even though I won't be doing it on my reset or do I change it down knowing that when my reset is over I'll add the cardio again? Maybe a dumb question but to me it doesn't seem like it lol. Any help would be appreciated.

You will use the TDEE for your *current* exercise level --- whatever you are doing now... Just take an average over the week and use that number. If your activity level changes, then your TDEE will change accordingly (and you would adjust your intake)...
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Options

You will use the TDEE for your *current* exercise level --- whatever you are doing now... Just take an average over the week and use that number. If your activity level changes, then your TDEE will change accordingly (and you would adjust your intake)...

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Just holler if you have more questions - so many awesome people around here are happy to help :-)
  • kyrasmygsd
    kyrasmygsd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was referred to this group when I posted a question about low RMR. I had my resting metabolic rate tested last week. It came in at just over 1000 calories, although all formulas online say I should be around 1450-1500. I am 5'6", 36 yoa, 160lb, 33%bf. I have been stuck at this EXACT weight for at least a year. I travel often so I've found that whether my working out is perfect and my eating is good or my exercise is spotty and my eating is unreliable, my weight doesn't change. I lift 3-4 times a week, do 5-6 days of cardio, wear a fitbit and usually get my 10K steps in, get plenty of sleep, no meds, etc. So my question is: if I wanted to try this method, would I just subtract 500 from my TDEE since my test showed 500 less than all online calculators?
    Thanks. Any help would be appreciated as I'm really frustrated! I lost 80 pounds 4 years ago by eating 1500 cal and doing Zumba 5 days a week. Easy, steady weight loss then.
  • heybales
    Options
    You found an online calc for RMR, or BMR?

BMR should be lower than RMR by 150-250 calories. Basal, asleep basic functions of life, compared to Resting, awake and additional functions of life.

With a tested RMR of 1010, the matching BMR would be 871 actually.

Now, that is calculations based on that 33% bodyfat being a good estimate within 5%.

Cunningham RMR calculation based on BF of 33% is actually 1570, with Katch BMR of 1420.

So yes, that is a really low RMR and BMR, 550 about lower.

So few things could be going on.

You are very cardio fit. Shown by resting HR below 50, and when you stop a workout with a high HR, it lowers in 1 min by easily 40 bpm.
    Now, that would probably not cause a 500 calorie improvement in your body for RMR/BMR. Could explain perhaps 200 calories worth of the difference.

Your BF% figure could be off by decent amount. What gave you that figure? To obtain that low of BMR/RMR from matching BF%, you'd have to be at 68%, so that's not the total cause either, but you could be higher than 33%.

You have been very badly undereating for a while and suppressed your metabolism. That could easily explain the whole amount.

But likely you have a combo of the 3, cardio fit, BF% is wrong and actually is higher, you have suppressed metabolism.

So I'd suggest you start on the high side, because the only one you can control is the metabolism because of undereating.
    If you are cardio fit and lower metabolism for that - so be it. Bummer (me too), gonna have to live with it.
    If you are higher BF%, then Bodpod or hydrostatic weighing would point that out.

But for undereating, no need chasing a lowered metabolism in to the ground by eating even less.

When was the last time you had an exercise break from what sounds like a massive schedule?
    Or a diet break to unstress your body from that.

Or is this lifting brief 15-30 min and simple handweights, or full body compound moves with heavy weight to almost failure for 3-4 days weekly?
    Is the 5-6 days of cardio short or long sessions, intense killing the lifting repair, or easy going allowing full repair.

Frequent intense exercise is a stress on the body, just like diet, food allergies/sensitivities, and life, and disease, ect. All that stress will fight fat and weight loss.

So no you do not want to automatically reduce TDEE by 500, or you might be chasing that in to the ground. You want as high flying a metabolism as possible.

You should be about 5% within range of Katch BMR and Cunningham RMR based on an accurate bodyfat test, outside medical reasons. Did you have any thyroid problems?

When you lost 80 lbs eating 1500 slow and steady, what did the numbers actually say you should have been losing, and what did you actually lose?
    Some lose slow because of thought out purposeful decisions as to their exercise and eating level.
    Some lose slow because they forced their metabolism slower and that's all they were going to get, along with burning up some muscle mass.
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Options

Just holler if you have more questions - so many awesome people around here are happy to help :-)

BACK lol! I've upped my calories above BMR last week (gained some weight up front)... as of this week I am now eating at TDEE. My weight gain has recessed and I am now back to my starting weight (as of my weigh in yesterday). Just was wondering what exactly this means. I was eating low cals for a while (been on a diet for a year... took about a 2 month hiatus and gained quite a bit of weight back then started to workout again). My low cals though were about 1800 on average which isn't TOO bad but still. Maybe my reset won't take as long or yeah. My last question... I swear lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    BACK lol! I've upped my calories above BMR last week (gained some weight up front)... as of this week I am now eating at TDEE. My weight gain has recessed and I am now back to my starting weight (as of my weigh in yesterday). Just was wondering what exactly this means. I was eating low cals for a while (been on a diet for a year... took about a 2 month hiatus and gained quite a bit of weight back then started to workout again). My low cals though were about 1800 on average which isn't TOO bad but still. Maybe my reset won't take as long or yeah. My last question... I swear lol.

Wow, that's great.

So that prior routine is definitely a plus on your side.
    Being a guy is too, better metabolism recovery.

If you think you hit TDEE, increase calories by 250 for 2 weeks solid. If really TDEE, that should be 1 mere pound of gain for 2 weeks slowly.
    If fast water weight gain and then nothing, wasn't really TDEE. Test again with another 250 more.

If lifting during this time, at least you know, again as a guy with the right hormones, when you do finally gain that 1 lb because you really were eating in excess of TDEE - no better workout to be doing, and probably gained some muscle and LBM in general - both increase metabolism, yeah!
  • Travis_Lee_II
    Options

Wow, that's great.

So that prior routine is definitely a plus on your side.
    Being a guy is too, better metabolism recovery.

If you think you hit TDEE, increase calories by 250 for 2 weeks solid. If really TDEE, that should be 1 mere pound of gain for 2 weeks slowly.
    If fast water weight gain and then nothing, wasn't really TDEE. Test again with another 250 more.

If lifting during this time, at least you know, again as a guy with the right hormones, when you do finally gain that 1 lb because you really were eating in excess of TDEE - no better workout to be doing, and probably gained some muscle and LBM in general - both increase metabolism, yeah!

Yeah I lift every week. That's gonna be difficult being that is 3400 calories for me lol! I'll try it... I dropped my activity level to light because my previous TDEE would have been 3500 and I simply cannot eat that many calories without going completely off the rails. I'll give it a go :) thanks for responding.
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump