bump
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2335, BMR 1506, Cut Cals 1985. However, I do have Hypothyroidism (treated - but does not make me 'normal'). Wondering if I should still just go for the 2335? Suggestions?
  • 521DIVA
    521DIVA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I need helppppp, my BRM is 1581 and my TDEE is 2451, what should my calorie goal be. Thanks in advance. Also do I have to come back here for the response?
  • CMich76
    CMich76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to bump this but I've gotten myself confused. I have a Bodymedia and it tracks calories burned through tha day. Would my daily reading for that be a more accurate TDEE? And what should my calorie intake be relative to that?

Without throwing out actual numbers, I'm worried I may be eating too few calories. I'd say I average 1500-1600/ day, but burn over 3000, sometimes more. My problem is finding WHAT to eat to make up the difference without eating garbage, KWIM?
  • tigs728
    tigs728 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Does this work the same for people who are morbidly obese? I am just looking at the numbers the scooby site gave me and am wondering if those numbers are too high? It could just be the 30 years of diet mentality pounded into my brain that is making me think the numbers are too high. It said my bmr was 2070 and that I should be consuming 2700 calories. That 2700 just scares the crap out of me. I work out 6 days a week and 4 of those days are HIIT and two of them are heavy lift days. Any thoughts?

I'm similar - I've been in a plateau for the last 1-2 weeks after losing 12kgs on 1950 / day... but after going to the Scooby calculator it says my BMR is 2189 and my TDEE is 3394, putting my daily cals on a 15% cut at 2885. I can't even FATHOM eating that much! I struggle to reach my daily calorie goal as is eating healthy foods and veg - I'd either have to eat 5 steaks a day or nothing but crap take-away to hit that number! Should I just try to hit my BMR? I lift heavy 3x a week and swim 2x (about 45 minutes per session for both) with a gentle walk on the weekend and a rest day so presumably some days I'd have to eat even more than the 2885??? Is there a different tactic for morbidly obese women?? That number is so scary!! I'd love someone's wisdom here - I understand and believe in the principle of EM2WL but I just can't see how eating that many calories each day is going to result in the significant losses I need for my health...
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You should be eating *between* your BMR and your TDEE...... anything over your TDEE will of course cause a gradual gain, anything below your BMR is totally unhealthy and you will lose muscle, not fat.

This!!
  • shellydisrad
    Options
    I've only recently started exercising and ever since then, my weight has stalled. I'm not sure if that's because I'm not eating enough or am eating too much? When I was following the scooby calculater based on no exercise, I'd managed to lose 3.5kg in 3 months. Slow but steady progress which I was quite happy with. The last 3 and a half weeks since exercising... nothing.

My question is: what defines 1-3 hours of light exercise? All I do is walk to the shops once a week (40 mins), maybe 2 leisurely strolls around the block (20 -30 mins each) and 3 x lunges, squats, tricep dips and push ups three days a week. Is this light exercise or should I be putting myself in a different category?

I've been measuring myself but hadn't noticed any change which is when I decided to jump on the scale to see if that gave me a different indication, which is when I saw that I've definitely stalled.

Weight: 53.5kg, Age: 29, Height: 158cm.

Any ideas?
  • mcr5073
    Options
    Similar to the rest of you, I am confused about how to apply this all... my activity level varies week to week so I would hate to try to set a calorie amount based off a potentially inaccurate number.

I am thinking about trying to eat TDEE - 15% + Exercise Calories burned -15%

BMR 1534
    TDEE Sedentary (full time student - exercise varies) = 1841
    so TDEE - 15% = 1565 ... so I am going to try to eat 1565 daily, and then when I exercise, Add those cals in to stay above BMR

(Aka, if I were to burn 200 calories at the gym, I would eat 1565 + 170 = 1735)

... does this seem logical? Or too SIMPLE?!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ok, I thought I had this figured out, but over the last 2 months, I must have been doing something wrong - very little loss, constant hunger and such forth...

I currently use a Polar Wearlink HRM linked to Endomondo, which auto-updates all my "workouts" here at MFP. This are my currently stats:

BMR: 1731
    TDEE: 2684
    -20% = 2147
    -25% = 2013

I do 3-5 (moderate level) as I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, in addition to walking (dedicated) at work (30min a day or more) which roughly comes out to about 6 hours +/- a week

So, what level do I set MFP to for cals? I was putting in the -20% number, but making sure to eat over the BMR (letting my workouts auto load to MFP), but things have stalled.

Am I doing something wrong, wrong number, calculating something off?
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    :smile: BUMP:smile:
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zhiking
    zhiking Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Similar to the rest of you, I am confused about how to apply this all... my activity level varies week to week so I would hate to try to set a calorie amount based off a potentially inaccurate number.

I am thinking about trying to eat TDEE - 15% + Exercise Calories burned -15%

BMR 1534
    TDEE Sedentary (full time student - exercise varies) = 1841
    so TDEE - 15% = 1565 ... so I am going to try to eat 1565 daily, and then when I exercise, Add those cals in to stay above BMR

(Aka, if I were to burn 200 calories at the gym, I would eat 1565 + 170 = 1735)

... does this seem logical? Or too SIMPLE?!

I could be wrong but I looked at original post and I think you are correct to put 1565 as mpf goal. You DO NOT NEED to eat your calories unless you exercise over 455 calories.

Again I suggest looking at original post:

"Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR. "

However Lucia says on : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr tread to also add 200 on lift days and that she cut down on her cardio because it required eating so much!

- I do plan to add more weight training in new year but I might forget about spin class and say that swing dancing is enough cardio for me :happy:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ok, I thought I had this figured out, but over the last 2 months, I must have been doing something wrong - very little loss, constant hunger and such forth...

I currently use a Polar Wearlink HRM linked to Endomondo, which auto-updates all my "workouts" here at MFP. This are my currently stats:

BMR: 1731
    TDEE: 2684
    -20% = 2147
    -25% = 2013

I do 3-5 (moderate level) as I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, in addition to walking (dedicated) at work (30min a day or more) which roughly comes out to about 6 hours +/- a week

So, what level do I set MFP to for cals? I was putting in the -20% number, but making sure to eat over the BMR (letting my workouts auto load to MFP), but things have stalled.

Am I doing something wrong, wrong number, calculating something off?
    You aren't eating enough if you are logging correctly. You are supposed to eat at the -20% number, not under it. I only found one day that you ate that much in two weeks. Some days you are logging less than 1000 calories. Most days you aren't logging enough to meet your BMR. That's why you are hungry. Eat more. Or log better for better advice.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi....my name is Jennie I am 52 years old. I have gone from 224 lbs to 148 lbs on low calorie method (ugh) I still have 13 lbs to go.

I would like to make adjustments on my calorie intake and the only thing holding me back is that I honestly do not know what my activity level is.

I brisk walk 45 min 5 x a week but other than that, I am mostly home watching tv or doing housework.

Am I sedentary or lightly active? I am really confused and need some advice....please help!

52 yrs
    5ft 3in
    148 lbs

Thanks for taking the time to read this.....I appreciate any suggestions :flowerforyou:
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    all good info, thank you for taking the time to make sense out of all this for me!