• nofatme
    nofatme Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks Heybales,

Does my TDEE seem correct? I ma trying to close in on a proper TDEE
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How to find a real bmr? One place told me 1350 and another told me 1000...
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump to re-read ! Thanks
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You can only estimate, but the one based on bodyfat % has best chance of being the closest.

Either use the spreadsheet, or use this and get BF% first, and then use BMR calc with that stat.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html
  • KarrieLynn81
    KarrieLynn81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ok I did Scooby and i got:

BMR: 1482
    TDEE: 2298
    Goal with -15%: 1953

So I should be eating 1953? I workout 6 days a week: 3 days lifting, 2 cardio amd one day of yoga. Average time for workouts is 60 minutes. Yoga is only 45. I have been eating 1600 for a while now, 6 months about. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right lol

Oh and if you need anything else:

Height: 5'4"
    Current Weight: 156

Thanks in advance, love all this great info!!

Depending on the time of that activity, sounds close. But 30 min of easy cardio x weekly and 60 min of intense cardio 2 x weekly is very different.
    As is 30 min or 60 min lifting.

You may need to round that level up a bit. or down.

Thank you! I'll tweak with it this week and see what happens. So far since doing this for a week nothing has changed but I didn't really expect it too since my body is probably getting used to this. Thank you again :)
  • myfrogs11
    Options

You can only estimate, but the one based on bodyfat % has best chance of being the closest.

Either use the spreadsheet, or use this and get BF% first, and then use BMR calc with that stat.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

I used Scooby and a spreadsheet where you put in measurements. The measurements is the one that gave me 1000. And the TDEE was like 1300. Dang that doesn't give me much room to work with.
  • heybales
    Options
    I used Scooby and a spreadsheet where you put in measurements. The measurements is the one that gave me 1000. And the TDEE was like 1300. Dang that doesn't give me much room to work with.

That can indeed be true. Narrow margin for error.

Get a scale and weigh as much food as possible for that side of the equation. At least for couple weeks to see if your eye is accurate.

Confirm the measurements every 2 wks and the TDEE activity calc really had everything in it that applies for exercise for that side of the equation.
    As measurements change and become more accurate (if not already), you may find you really have more LBM than calculated at first - so higher TDEE and more eating, ya!

If mainly doing lifting which doesn't increase TDEE much because of how little it really burns, you might want to have more gentle cardio on off days to increase TDEE more. I've heard of many shorter gals doing that.

You can stay in the Active Recovery HR zone for that cardio, and while slower than you normally might do it, still better than walking or nothing for increased calorie burn, and more deficit.

In the spreadsheet, HRM tab, stats at top but at least HRmax (from section a bit down) and restingHR. Then down that tab to section on HRM and Zones. Top of the Active Recovery shouldn't mess with lifting repair nor tire you out for next day lifting either. If cardio after rest day before lifting day, usually Aerobic zone somewhere won't tire you out either.
  • myfrogs11
    Options

That can indeed be true. Narrow margin for error.

Get a scale and weigh as much food as possible for that side of the equation. At least for couple weeks to see if your eye is accurate.

Confirm the measurements every 2 wks and the TDEE activity calc really had everything in it that applies for exercise for that side of the equation.
    As measurements change and become more accurate (if not already), you may find you really have more LBM than calculated at first - so higher TDEE and more eating, ya!

If mainly doing lifting which doesn't increase TDEE much because of how little it really burns, you might want to have more gentle cardio on off days to increase TDEE more. I've heard of many shorter gals doing that.

You can stay in the Active Recovery HR zone for that cardio, and while slower than you normally might do it, still better than walking or nothing for increased calorie burn, and more deficit.

In the spreadsheet, HRM tab, stats at top but at least HRmax (from section a bit down) and restingHR. Then down that tab to section on HRM and Zones. Top of the Active Recovery shouldn't mess with lifting repair nor tire you out for next day lifting either. If cardio after rest day before lifting day, usually Aerobic zone somewhere won't tire you out either.

Just kind of disappointing, as everyone on here is like "I eat 2000 calories..." and I get the same about 1300.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to this but I am totally on board with the EMTWL and have been sharing this with friends too. I am a little confused about the numbers I got from scooby's.

I got the following:
    BMR 1391
    TDEE 1912
    Daily cals 1530
    I am 5.5 and weigh 135 lbs

I am currently doing JM's body revolution and burn in the region of 170-200 calories per workout based on my HRM. Am I right in thinking that I need to eat back anything over 1530-1391=139 calories or have I mis-understood?!
    Are my daily cals set too low? I calculated it at a 20% reduction, should it be 10%? I am aiming to lose another 10 pounds.
    Many thanks !!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to this but I am totally on board with the EMTWL and have been sharing this with friends too. I am a little confused about the numbers I got from scooby's.

I got the following:
    BMR 1391
    TDEE 1912
    Daily cals 1530
    I am 5.5 and weigh 135 lbs

I am currently doing JM's body revolution and burn in the region of 170-200 calories per workout based on my HRM. Am I right in thinking that I need to eat back anything over 1530-1391=139 calories or have I mis-understood?!
    Are my daily cals set too low? I calculated it at a 20% reduction, should it be 10%? I am aiming to lose another 10 pounds.
    Many thanks !!!

Is it everyday, or 48 hr block is fine because you have rest days?

10 lbs should be 10% anyway.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying !!!! I will modify it to 10% to start with! I'm doing it everyday and doing extra cardio on the allocated rest day so no real rest day for me!!
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Bumpie
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tsalihah
    tsalihah Posts: 6
    Options
    Okay, I'm very confuse, if anyone can help me I will be very grateful .

I'm 24 , at 138 cm(4"5) and 51 kg (112 pounds).

I put myself at sedentry (because I want to put in the calories I burn through exercise myself at mfp because i think its more accurate that way: and i could treat myself with rewards for exercising this way.), I exercise at least 3 times a week (walking 5.2 km/hr, around 3 miles) I can't do anything more vigorous due to my asthma (I'll keep increasing the speed when my body is more accustom so it won't trigger any breathing problems).

for step 6 I put in 20% fat lost.

and the result is as follow:

BMR: 1280

TDEE: 1536

and Daily calories based on goal: 1228

why is my daily calories lower than my BMR? I thought you aren't suppose to eat anything below your BMR? can anyone suggest what number I should do?
  • heybales
    Options
    Okay, I'm very confuse, if anyone can help me I will be very grateful .

I'm 24 , at 138 cm(4"5) and 51 kg (112 pounds).

I put myself at sedentry (because I want to put in the calories I burn through exercise myself at mfp because i think its more accurate that way: and i could treat myself with rewards for exercising this way.), I exercise at least 3 times a week (walking 5.2 km/hr, around 3 miles) I can't do anything more vigorous due to my asthma (I'll keep increasing the speed when my body is more accustom so it won't trigger any breathing problems).

for step 6 I put in 20% fat lost.

and the result is as follow:

BMR: 1280

TDEE: 1536

and Daily calories based on goal: 1228

why is my daily calories lower than my BMR? I thought you aren't suppose to eat anything below your BMR? can anyone suggest what number I should do?

Just like financials.

Gaining 20% from a smaller number leads to bigger number.
    Lossing 20% from a bigger numbers leads to smaller than original number.

BMR + 20% (sedentary) = TDEE - 20% = less than BMR.

Almost no one is that level of sedentary anymore - that is from 1919 study. Vast majority on here that wear FitBit's and BodyMedia's will comment that their non-exercise sedentary desk job days give a activity level of BMR x 1.35 - which happens to be MFP's level for Lightly Active.

So I'd suggest either you take the 15% off that you've seen recommended everywhere.
    But really, suggest you do BMR x 1.35, and take 15% off.

Then when you log exercise calories, take the same 15% off.
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ok I am new to EM2WL... and am willing (but scared!) to give it a try.

I am 5'10, 150lbs, and have 28% body fat. I don't really want to lose pounds, just fat and gain muscle.
    I have been eating 1500 cals/a day for 3 months!!! Haven't seen any changes in my body... no pounds lost, no measurement changes, still have the muffin top and the saddle bags. I do not want to go back to eating 1200 cals a day, which is why I am posting in this group :)

I do pushups/lunges/squats, etc with weights (8lbs per hand) 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    I do HIIT on my stationary bike 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    So this equals 30 minutes 3x/week, which equals an hour and a half a week.

So... I figured that I should enter my activity level as lightly active... IS THIS RIGHT???

With lightly active, my number are as follows:

BMR: 1490
    TDEE: 2050
    TDEE-15%: 1750

Why is my TDEE 500 cals/day higher than my BMR? I don't burn 500 cals/day exercising... I burn that much in a week!
    So basically, I have been eating at my BMR for 3 months.. Is that why I haven't been losing weight?
    Should I eat more?

My other option is to enter my activity level at sedentary, and eat back exercise calories on the days I work out. Then, my number are as follows:

TDEE; 1790
    TDEE-15%: 1520

Since I only work out 3x a week, I could eat 1520 on the days I DON"T work out, and 1700 on the days I DO work out (eating back exercise calories). That is what I have been doing though... and not seeing any changes.

What do you all suggest I do?
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok I am new to EM2WL... and am willing (but scared!) to give it a try.

I am 5'10, 150lbs, and have 28% body fat. I don't really want to lose pounds, just fat and gain muscle.
    I have been eating 1500 cals/a day for 3 months!!! Haven't seen any changes in my body... no pounds lost, no measurement changes, still have the muffin top and the saddle bags. I do not want to go back to eating 1200 cals a day, which is why I am posting in this group :)

I do pushups/lunges/squats, etc with weights (8lbs per hand) 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    I do HIIT on my stationary bike 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    So this equals 30 minutes 3x/week, which equals an hour and a half a week.

So... I figured that I should enter my activity level as lightly active... IS THIS RIGHT???

With lightly active, my number are as follows:

TDEE: 2050
    TDEE-15%: 1750

Why is my TDEE 500 cals/day higher than my BMR? I don't burn 500 cals/day exercising... I burn that much in a week!
    So basically, I have been eating at my BMR for 3 months.. Is that why I haven't been losing weight?
    Should I eat more?

My other option is to enter my activity level at sedentary, and eat back exercise calories on the days I work out. Then, my number are as follows:

TDEE; 1790
    TDEE-15%: 1520

Since I only work out 3x a week, I could eat 1520 on the days I DON"T work out, and 1700 on the days I DO work out (eating back exercise calories). That is what I have been doing though... and not seeing any changes.

What do you all suggest I do?

Don't eat at a deficit if you want to lose fat and gain muscle.

First, you aren't going to be gaining little if any muscle from that routine.
    Your existing muscles are able to handle that level of weight, your body sees no reason to actually have more muscle mass because it's not being asked to do more than what it can handle.

That's what lifting is for, you create a load to much for the muscle, you feed it and let it rest, and it grows stronger to handle the load. Then you increase again.

The HIIT, if truly HIIT done properly, is like strength training, but for those that have cardio sport they do. Same effect as lifting if done right.

Lightly Active would be about right for that level.

But if you actually want to lose weight and fat, forget about adding muscle, should use 10% deficit as too close to goal weight.

Your TDEE is 500 higher than your BMR on daily basis because you hopefully have a whole lot of activity between sleeping 24 hrs daily (BMR) and just exercising.
    Digesting food burns calories, being awake (callend RestingMR) takes calories, getting up and walking takes calories.

Yes you should be eating more, might want to reread the meaning behind the terms and understand them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

If you have had any decent amount of time eating so low, you likely burned off some muscle mass. If you've been doing that routine the whole time, you may have saved some muscle at least, but probably not as much as you could have.

But you won't be able to increase muscle mass with that routine, that's the sad end of that story.

Drop the HIIT, and just do a real lifting routine 3 x weekly for 30 min, 45 if you have the time. That's enough time to get in a short and useful routine. That would also be Lightly Active, though the spreadsheet will get specific.

Real lifting means doing sets, reps, and rests, to a point that you overload, or fail or almost fail, the last rep of last set, the others are super hard effort.

And then eat enough, and do the standard TDEE deficit method so you eat the same amount daily, workout or not. Because the recovery for lifting (like HIIT done properly) burns mainly fat and you'll want to eat more just as much the next day even though it's rest day.

You'll see incredible gains of strength initially while you use your existing muscle better, and then it'll get harder to progress and that's requiring new.

And no deficit when that happens, or your body won't have the resources to actually make more.
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    weigh 126 (I started at 130 with only 10 lbs to lose)
    My height is 5' 4"

I am eating around 1550 calories (3 meals and 3 light snacks per day)

I use my elliptical for 30 minutes per day and burn around 300 calories

I have lost 4 pounds, but seem to be at a stand still now and seem to feel hungry often.

Too few calories? Too many calories? Suggestions?
  • heybales
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    weigh 126 (I started at 130 with only 10 lbs to lose)
    My height is 5' 4"

I am eating around 1550 calories (3 meals and 3 light snacks per day)

I use my elliptical for 30 minutes per day and burn around 300 calories

I have lost 4 pounds, but seem to be at a stand still now and seem to feel hungry often.

Too few calories? Too many calories? Suggestions?

BMR, TDEE?