TDEE & BMR: What they are and what to do with them

Options

Replies

• Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ok I am new to EM2WL... and am willing (but scared!) to give it a try.

I am 5'10, 150lbs, and have 28% body fat. I don't really want to lose pounds, just fat and gain muscle.
    I have been eating 1500 cals/a day for 3 months!!! Haven't seen any changes in my body... no pounds lost, no measurement changes, still have the muffin top and the saddle bags. I do not want to go back to eating 1200 cals a day, which is why I am posting in this group :)

I do pushups/lunges/squats, etc with weights (8lbs per hand) 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    I do HIIT on my stationary bike 3x a week for 15 minutes.
    So this equals 30 minutes 3x/week, which equals an hour and a half a week.

So... I figured that I should enter my activity level as lightly active... IS THIS RIGHT???

With lightly active, my number are as follows:

BMR: 1490
    TDEE: 2050
    TDEE-15%: 1750

Why is my TDEE 500 cals/day higher than my BMR? I don't burn 500 cals/day exercising... I burn that much in a week!
    So basically, I have been eating at my BMR for 3 months.. Is that why I haven't been losing weight?
    Should I eat more?

My other option is to enter my activity level at sedentary, and eat back exercise calories on the days I work out. Then, my number are as follows:

BMR: 1490
    TDEE; 1790
    TDEE-15%: 1520

Since I only work out 3x a week, I could eat 1520 on the days I DON"T work out, and 1700 on the days I DO work out (eating back exercise calories). That is what I have been doing though... and not seeing any changes.

What do you all suggest I do?

Don't eat at a deficit if you want to lose fat and gain muscle.

First, you aren't going to be gaining little if any muscle from that routine.
    Your existing muscles are able to handle that level of weight, your body sees no reason to actually have more muscle mass because it's not being asked to do more than what it can handle.

That's what lifting is for, you create a load to much for the muscle, you feed it and let it rest, and it grows stronger to handle the load. Then you increase again.

The HIIT, if truly HIIT done properly, is like strength training, but for those that have cardio sport they do. Same effect as lifting if done right.

Lightly Active would be about right for that level.

But if you actually want to lose weight and fat, forget about adding muscle, should use 10% deficit as too close to goal weight.

Your TDEE is 500 higher than your BMR on daily basis because you hopefully have a whole lot of activity between sleeping 24 hrs daily (BMR) and just exercising.
    Digesting food burns calories, being awake (callend RestingMR) takes calories, getting up and walking takes calories.

Yes you should be eating more, might want to reread the meaning behind the terms and understand them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

If you have had any decent amount of time eating so low, you likely burned off some muscle mass. If you've been doing that routine the whole time, you may have saved some muscle at least, but probably not as much as you could have.

But you won't be able to increase muscle mass with that routine, that's the sad end of that story.

Drop the HIIT, and just do a real lifting routine 3 x weekly for 30 min, 45 if you have the time. That's enough time to get in a short and useful routine. That would also be Lightly Active, though the spreadsheet will get specific.

Real lifting means doing sets, reps, and rests, to a point that you overload, or fail or almost fail, the last rep of last set, the others are super hard effort.

And then eat enough, and do the standard TDEE deficit method so you eat the same amount daily, workout or not. Because the recovery for lifting (like HIIT done properly) burns mainly fat and you'll want to eat more just as much the next day even though it's rest day.

You'll see incredible gains of strength initially while you use your existing muscle better, and then it'll get harder to progress and that's requiring new.

And no deficit when that happens, or your body won't have the resources to actually make more.

Thanks so much for this thorough reply Heybales!

I know that more weightlifting would be really good for me. but it has been such a huge struggle to work up to consistently doing what I am doing now, that I am afraid that doing more will cause me to be overwhelmed and give up. I also don't have a gym membership, so it would be hard to do the real heavy lifting at home. I do want to eventually want to start lifting heavy thought.. but I want to wait a while until working out has become a habit that I won't easily break.

So say with the working out I do now, and I want to lose a little fat and gain a little muscle, I should still eat more than I am right now, right? You were saying TDEE-10%, which for lightly active would be about 1850. That is a lot of food! Maybe I increase 100 cals every week or two and see what happens. Does that sound right? I am just so afraid that I will be gaining weight doing that. Before I started with the 1500 cal diet, I never really ate that unhealthy and I was probably somewhere around 2000/day, and that's how I gained 15 pounds.
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    weigh 126 (I started at 130 with only 10 lbs to lose)
    My height is 5' 4"

I am eating around 1550 calories (3 meals and 3 light snacks per day)

I use my elliptical for 30 minutes per day and burn around 300 calories

I have lost 4 pounds, but seem to be at a stand still now and seem to feel hungry often.

Too few calories? Too many calories? Suggestions?

BMR, TDEE?

The 1550 is my TDEE-10% that I had calculated. Also, I am a secretary, so spend most of my days sitting, but am on my feet most hours I am home on the week nights and week ends - doing housework, yard work, etc. I have been feeling so totally hungry lately that I kind of lost it tonight after a long stressful day and over indulged - something I haven't done for a long time. Thank you for your assistance.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    My height is 5' 4"

I have lost 4 pounds, but seem to be at a stand still now and seem to feel hungry often.

BMR, TDEE?

The 1550 is my TDEE-10% that I had calculated. Also, I am a secretary, so spend most of my days sitting, but am on my feet most hours I am home on the week nights and week ends - doing housework, yard work, etc. I have been feeling so totally hungry lately that I kind of lost it tonight after a long stressful day and over indulged - something I haven't done for a long time. Thank you for your assistance.

Mifflin BMR (likely decently accurate this close to goal weight) - 1152
    Activity 30 min x 7 = 210 min high cardio weekly.
    BMR multiplier 1.49.
    TDEE - 1712
    10% deficit - 1536

You are right on. Did you actually use the spreadsheet already?

The one thing that will change the above.
    A more accurate BMR estimate based on bodyfat% and LBM.
    Mifflin at 1152 is assuming 36.6% fat.

If you are much more than that, then your BMR is actually lower, and you are overeating. And may have no real deficit in place.

On the other hand, if you were actually at 28% or better, you are under-estimating by 100 or more calories, which is under by 149 or more at TDEE. That's decent amount undereating in that case.

I'd use the spreadsheet referenced in post above to use some BF calcs to get an idea.

You can also experiment, which you may end up doing anyway. You may be more active than you think.

Eat 250 more daily for 2 weeks. If you were actually eating over TDEE, you'd gain 1 lb, that's it.

If you have instant gain, your glucose stores weren't top off, because of not eating enough, so water weight. Take that out of equation, and start 2 weeks again.

If no gain, your TDEE is higher than you think. Test again for 2 weeks, another 250 higher. If you gain slowly some amount, that will tell you where your real TDEE is. Which will be great for when you reach maintenance.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks so much for this thorough reply Heybales!

I know that more weightlifting would be really good for me. but it has been such a huge struggle to work up to consistently doing what I am doing now, that I am afraid that doing more will cause me to be overwhelmed and give up. I also don't have a gym membership, so it would be hard to do the real heavy lifting at home. I do want to eventually want to start lifting heavy thought.. but I want to wait a while until working out has become a habit that I won't easily break.

So say with the working out I do now, and I want to lose a little fat and gain a little muscle, I should still eat more than I am right now, right? You were saying TDEE-10%, which for lightly active would be about 1850. That is a lot of food! Maybe I increase 100 cals every week or two and see what happens. Does that sound right? I am just so afraid that I will be gaining weight doing that. Before I started with the 1500 cal diet, I never really ate that unhealthy and I was probably somewhere around 2000/day, and that's how I gained 15 pounds.

So lifting heavy is relative to you. But if you use 15 or under reps and 3 - 4 sets, and reach that failure, you got what you need.

And there are plenty of body weight exercises, especially with that much extra weight you have available, that will help immensely.

Walmart has door pull up bar if you don't have one, great use, even for hanging clothes on!

Quads - 1 leg squats eventually with DB's.
    Chest - pushups.
    Hamstrings - straight-leg deadlift with something heavy at home.
    Back - pull-ups.
    Shoulders - press with DB's or pikes press.
    Calves - one leg calf raises on stair with DB's.
    Shoulders - upright row with DB's.
    Back - bent over row with DB's or something heavier.

Pick a body part from this map, look at the body weight section of exercise, and see how it's done.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html

Above list is even too much, probably need to split the 2 backs and 2 shoulder routines to different days, the other stuff each day.
    Notice no bicep or tricep stuff? They get worked with every push and pull upper body you do.

With body weight and/or those dumbbells, you should be able to hit some 3 or 4 sets x 15 reps, and be getting almost to failure.

If you do the bike for 30 min on non-lifting days, that's fine, keep it gentle and easy, you want repair of the muscles, not tearing them down again doing HIIT attempts or hard workout.
    And if you do that, round the Lightly Active TDEE up first to nearest 100, then take deficit.

Or use the spreadsheet.
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Thanks Heybales!

The workout routines you recommended are pretty similar to what I already do. I do 2-3 sets, with about 10-12 reps each time. When I get the about the 8th rep, I am burning, and I feel like I can't do any more. For two days following the workout, I am sore in my legs, butt, shoulder, and abs... and I have been doing this for 6 weeks, but still getting sore. So I think I might be doing pretty well with actual weight-training. After I do all that for about 15-20 minutes, I do a really intense 15 minutes of HIIT on the bike... where my muscles are also burning because I do it at a high resistance. I have worked my way up from 3:1 ratio (1 minute easy, 20 seconds at full force) to a 1:1 ratio (20 seconds easy to 20 seconds full force). But I hear you saying this might be too much to do the HIIT right after the other stuff? And not do HIIT at all? I just like it so much... and I like seeing the improvement over time. And I just thought since I already have my workout clothes on, and need to take a shower anyway, I might as well do it right away. So I am having a rest day every other day after doing these workouts. You're saying I should get on my bike those rest days and just do an easy 30 minutes? I can definitely do that!

And... I have upped my daily cals from 1500 to 1700, which is almost TDEE -10% :)
  • brendabryden
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    My height is 5' 4"

BMR, TDEE?

BMR multiplier 1.49.
    TDEE - 1712
    10% deficit - 1536

If you are much more than that, then your BMR is actually lower, and you are overeating. And may have no real deficit in place.

On the other hand, if you were actually at 28% or better, you are under-estimating by 100 or more calories, which is under by 149 or more at TDEE. That's decent amount undereating in that case.

I'd use the spreadsheet referenced in post above to use some BF calcs to get an idea.

You can also experiment, which you may end up doing anyway. You may be more active than you think.

Eat 250 more daily for 2 weeks. If you were actually eating over TDEE, you'd gain 1 lb, that's it.

If you have instant gain, your glucose stores weren't top off, because of not eating enough, so water weight. Take that out of equation, and start 2 weeks again.

If no gain, your TDEE is higher than you think. Test again for 2 weeks, another 250 higher. If you gain slowly some amount, that will tell you where your real TDEE is. Which will be great for when you reach maintenance.

Thanks again - in calculating my body fat a few different ways, it seems to fall between 19.1% and 23.4%. I will experiment with my calories a little and see how it goes.
  • heybales
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    My height is 5' 4"

BMR multiplier 1.49.
    TDEE - 1712
    10% deficit - 1536

Thanks again - in calculating my body fat a few different ways, it seems to fall between 19.1% and 23.4%. I will experiment with my calories a little and see how it goes.

So Katch BMR with 21.25% avg BF - 1342, so you are actually 200 under almost - that's not good when you have a narrow margin for error to still see results.
    That also means you have higher LBM than expected for your age, weight, height. That's great!
    Don't risk it by eating too little though, you regret the difficulty getting it back again.

TDEE - 1995
    TDEG - 1790

So not only on the estimate of just exercise should you be eating more, but your activity otherwise is probably causing an even worse deficit, and probably should be eating even more.

You are probably actually at 20% deficit to reality, and this close to goal weight, not good.

That 1790 should be every day. If you miss a planned workout, skip 100 calories that day.
    Round to 1800.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks Heybales!

The workout routines you recommended are pretty similar to what I already do. I do 2-3 sets, with about 10-12 reps each time. When I get the about the 8th rep, I am burning, and I feel like I can't do any more. For two days following the workout, I am sore in my legs, butt, shoulder, and abs... and I have been doing this for 6 weeks, but still getting sore. So I think I might be doing pretty well with actual weight-training. After I do all that for about 15-20 minutes, I do a really intense 15 minutes of HIIT on the bike... where my muscles are also burning because I do it at a high resistance. I have worked my way up from 3:1 ratio (1 minute easy, 20 seconds at full force) to a 1:1 ratio (20 seconds easy to 20 seconds full force). But I hear you saying this might be too much to do the HIIT right after the other stuff? And not do HIIT at all? I just like it so much... and I like seeing the improvement over time. And I just thought since I already have my workout clothes on, and need to take a shower anyway, I might as well do it right away. So I am having a rest day every other day after doing these workouts. You're saying I should get on my bike those rest days and just do an easy 30 minutes? I can definitely do that!

And... I have upped my daily cals from 1500 to 1700, which is almost TDEE -10% :)

You are indeed, excellent on the lifting then.
    I'd say at 3 months, drop the deficit. Because it'll also be getting easier for you, unless you add another set or 2 more reps, and you want to start gaining LBM to make up. To gain LBM, you still need to be having the same effect as now.

Since this has just been last 6 weeks, I'd really agree with my previous comments then that you probably lost a fair bit of muscle mass sadly.

This will help build it up again.

If you are doing those intervals right after the lifting, they aren't HIIT. Not with your strength training being so good. Your muscles are too tired, you can't press hard enough to make it HIIT.
    Just like if you tried to do another lifting session afterwards - would you be as strong and hit the same numbers? No.

Not that you aren't pushing as hard as you can, but as hard as you can is very different with fresh or tired muscles, and means different things as to the body's response.

So you are doing intervals that will help with aerobic training, which is probably not why you are doing them. I'd just end with decent aerobic zone ride to help with repair.

But if you enjoy it, leave it at 1:1 at 30 sec or 60 sec time. End with 10 min cooldown though.

1:1 is also not HIIT, 1:3 is. You don't really work your way up to different ratio. You work your way up to more intense effort for the short time span. And the only way to accomplish that is with a recovery long enough to allow you to do it again.
    Like the difference between doing 3 x 10 lifts with rests, or 30 straight reps.
    With about 45 sec max on intense effort. Once you go above 45 sec even if well trained, you are not using same energy system and placing the same load on muscles. 15-30 sec is best for starters, with 45-90 sec recovery. But don't waste time doing that after lifting, as you can't reach the same level of effort, so it's really not productive time spent.

I'd still ride the next day, it should be even less intensive than that aerobic zone ride. May feel painfully slow. But soreness is muscles needing to repair - no need to kill the process and not get full repair and benefit from what you did the day before.
  • brendabryden
    Options
    I am 55 yrs of age
    My height is 5' 4"

BMR multiplier 1.49.
    TDEE - 1712
    10% deficit - 1536

So Katch BMR with 21.25% avg BF - 1342, so you are actually 200 under almost - that's not good when you have a narrow margin for error to still see results.
    That also means you have higher LBM than expected for your age, weight, height. That's great!
    Don't risk it by eating too little though, you regret the difficulty getting it back again.

TDEE - 1995
    TDEG - 1790

So not only on the estimate of just exercise should you be eating more, but your activity otherwise is probably causing an even worse deficit, and probably should be eating even more.

You are probably actually at 20% deficit to reality, and this close to goal weight, not good.

That 1790 should be every day. If you miss a planned workout, skip 100 calories that day.
    Round to 1800.

Thanks again - this could be the answer why I have been feeling so hungry.
  • amd429
    amd429 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm new to EMTWL and just di pd my figures here they are:
    BMR 1355
    TDEE 1863

Suggested calories 1584

Am I reading it right I put in that I want a 15% reduction...I'm kinda confused on what I should be eating?

I'm 5'2" and weigh 129 wanna lose the 9 lbs and haven't been losing despite working out and watching calories. I'm thinking its bc I haven't been eating enough....

Any help or suggestions would be great! Just need to know what my requirements are to loose.
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Ok Thanks!

So it's not effective doing strength and HIIT on the same days. How about doing my strength-training 2x a week, and do it for a little longer (30-40 minutes) and doing my HIIT 2x a week on different days from the strength. That way I am well rested for the HIIT and I can give it my all. I would have 3 rest days/week. And up my calories... that sounds like it is something I could do...
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok Thanks!

So it's not effective doing strength and HIIT on the same days. How about doing my strength-training 2x a week, and do it for a little longer (30-40 minutes) and doing my HIIT 2x a week on different days from the strength. That way I am well rested for the HIIT and I can give it my all. I would have 3 rest days/week. And up my calories... that sounds like it is something I could do...

Since HIIT is strength training for a cardio sport, unless you are doing a sport, it's not as good as real lifting.

It was the fad response to those that only wanted to do cardio, to at least have some fat burning benefit like lifting gives.

It's very difficult to schedule HIIT in a week with 2 or 3 x lifting.

You shouldn't do it the day after lifting - or you are killing the repair process that makes you stronger - in which case why lift in the first place?
    You shouldn't do it the day before lifting - or you wear out the muscles and are lifting when there is repair to the HIIT going on.
    And you shouldn't do it back to back either for reasons stated above.
    Also, intervals should only be about 20% of your cardio, because it is such a stress on the system. And that's for athletes, you have additional stress of being in a diet.

You could get 1 HIIT session in later in week instead of a lifting session, if you just enjoy it that much. You'll probably be surprised how strong you are for it.
    Keep it at max 30 sec hard, 90 sec recover walk intensity, about 8 sets of those (see, just like lifting). 5 min walk and 5 min slow jog warm up, then 10 on the other side too for cool down. About 40 min worth of time. You could still lift upper body on this day.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm new to EMTWL and just di pd my figures here they are:
    BMR 1355
    TDEE 1863

Suggested calories 1584

Am I reading it right I put in that I want a 15% reduction...I'm kinda confused on what I should be eating?

I'm 5'2" and weigh 129 wanna lose the 9 lbs and haven't been losing despite working out and watching calories. I'm thinking its bc I haven't been eating enough....

Any help or suggestions would be great! Just need to know what my requirements are to loose.

Requirements are simply to eat less than you burn daily.

To make it successful and retain muscle mass, which is the way to make going into maintenance more successful, you want a reasonable deficit from best estimted TDEE. You want to eat enough protein. And you want to do strength training.

For you this close to goal weight, reasonable deficit is also 10% at this point.
    Which means less margin for error to still see results. So be honest with TDEE, and logging your food.
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Ok Thanks!

Since HIIT is strength training for a cardio sport, unless you are doing a sport, it's not as good as real lifting.

It was the fad response to those that only wanted to do cardio, to at least have some fat burning benefit like lifting gives.

It's very difficult to schedule HIIT in a week with 2 or 3 x lifting.

You shouldn't do it the day after lifting - or you are killing the repair process that makes you stronger - in which case why lift in the first place?
    You shouldn't do it the day before lifting - or you wear out the muscles and are lifting when there is repair to the HIIT going on.
    And you shouldn't do it back to back either for reasons stated above.
    Also, intervals should only be about 20% of your cardio, because it is such a stress on the system. And that's for athletes, you have additional stress of being in a diet.

You could get 1 HIIT session in later in week instead of a lifting session, if you just enjoy it that much. You'll probably be surprised how strong you are for it.
    Keep it at max 30 sec hard, 90 sec recover walk intensity, about 8 sets of those (see, just like lifting). 5 min walk and 5 min slow jog warm up, then 10 on the other side too for cool down. About 40 min worth of time. You could still lift upper body on this day.

Thank you!
    So I am dropping the HIIT, and just doing regular, more easy-going cardio. I've decided to keep weight-lifting 3x/week (2x lower body/whole body, and 1x upper body)... and squeeze cardio in there when I can, but it's not a priority. I am going to keep upping the weight every time it gets easier. And eat more :) In case you are curious, this is what I've come up with: (doing 3 sets of 10 reps for each, and 1 minute rests in between)

Workout A (Lower)
    Squat with weights
    Lunges with weights
    Deadlift with weights
    Calf-raise with weights
    Wall-sit (1 min)
    Stand crunch w weights

Workout B (Upper)
    Bent-over row
    Shoulder Press
    Plank (1 min)
    Side Lateral
    Full pushup
    Dips

Workout C (Lower)
    Squats with weights
    Lunges with weights
    Deadlift with weights
    Calf-raise with weights
    Bridge (1 min)
    Bicycle Crunch
  • jccretarolo
    jccretarolo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I'm new at this and want to make sure I'm figuring cals correctly. I currently weigh about 228-230lbs and I'm 5'6", 29 year old female.
    BMR: 1604
    TDEE: 2487
    -20%: 1989

If I burn more then 487 in working out eat any extra. I have started going to the gym and do apx 25-30min cardio 3-5x a week and I'm starting with more weights to increase my muscle mass, weights 3x a week or more as I gain endurance.

Does this look right? I'm worried by eating this much I will gain, but eating lower cal hasn't worked either.
  • heybales
    Options
    So I'm new at this and want to make sure I'm figuring cals correctly. I currently weigh about 228-230lbs and I'm 5'6", 29 year old female.
    BMR: 1604
    TDEE: 2487
    -20%: 1989

If I burn more then 487 in working out eat any extra. I have started going to the gym and do apx 25-30min cardio 3-5x a week and I'm starting with more weights to increase my muscle mass, weights 3x a week or more as I gain endurance.

Does this look right? I'm worried by eating this much I will gain, but eating lower cal hasn't worked either.

The math is done right.
    You'll have to decide if you were honest on activity level. Use hrs per week, not days a week.

Also, every hr of your day in a diet is already account for with some burn, that being sedentary TDEE.
    So about every hr you are expected to burn 84 calories on average (2005 daily). So indeed your exercise is adding about 485 on to that amount avg daily.

So that means when your HRM or treadmill or table says you burned 500 calories, actually 84 was already expected, so you only burned 416 calories more than expected.

So if you want to go by the always net over your BMR theory, you can burn upwards of 469 calories per hr before you have to worry about touching BMR. (1989-1604+84)
  • thinnenkamp
    Options
    BUMPPPPP!!
  • fechter99
    fechter99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have stumbled across this group here on MFP. I am a SAHM who actually works 3 part time jobs besides being a mom. I am, 45 years old, 5'3" and weigh 193lbs. I have been struggling with weight loss pretty much all of my life and have tried numerous variations of dieting, exercise, etc with limited results. It seems I see saw on the weight loss and have a VERY hard time dropping pounds. I feel like I live on a perpetual plateau. My doctor is very happy with my medical status - no cholestrol/blood pressure/sugar issues. I do have hypothyroid regulated by synthroid and man how I wished that once I started treatment that the weight would just drop off. No such luck for me.

Here is my issue - I am trying to figure out how many calories I really should be eating and the more I read, the more confused I get. I am now using a fitbit daily and a HRM for exercise. I work out pretty intensely 3-4 days per week (train for aquavelo events - think triathlon but without the running portion - swim and bike) but am not very active on the other 3-4 days due to work limitations. I am not doing regular weight training although I know I need to be doing just that and plan to add that back into the mix this week.

I have had my RMR test done and it was 1580 although that was taken about a year ago when recovering from stress fractures from shin splints so I had no physical activity. I am having my RMR test redone on Tuesday for a more current look at it.

I took my numbers from MFP for the past month and a half and came up with the numbers below to get an average per day:
    I eat an average of 1737 calories per day, burn an average of 582 calories per day, and average net calories is 1185. I guess the issue I have is that on some days I am burning 250 calories exercising and some days I am burning over 1000.

So, based on the info I have read here so far, I am not eating enough, correct? Does this explain why I have not been able to lose any weight? How do I know how many calories I should be eating each day? How do I manage the calories burned working out? Do I eat them, ignore them, average them out throughout the week and ignore the net calories? Please help!!!

Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    I am so happy to have stumbled across this group here on MFP. I am a SAHM who actually works 3 part time jobs besides being a mom. I am, 45 years old, 5'3" and weigh 193lbs. I have been struggling with weight loss pretty much all of my life and have tried numerous variations of dieting, exercise, etc with limited results. It seems I see saw on the weight loss and have a VERY hard time dropping pounds. I feel like I live on a perpetual plateau. My doctor is very happy with my medical status - no cholestrol/blood pressure/sugar issues. I do have hypothyroid regulated by synthroid and man how I wished that once I started treatment that the weight would just drop off. No such luck for me.

Here is my issue - I am trying to figure out how many calories I really should be eating and the more I read, the more confused I get. I am now using a fitbit daily and a HRM for exercise. I work out pretty intensely 3-4 days per week (train for aquavelo events - think triathlon but without the running portion - swim and bike) but am not very active on the other 3-4 days due to work limitations. I am not doing regular weight training although I know I need to be doing just that and plan to add that back into the mix this week.

I have had my RMR test done and it was 1580 although that was taken about a year ago when recovering from stress fractures from shin splints so I had no physical activity. I am having my RMR test redone on Tuesday for a more current look at it.

I took my numbers from MFP for the past month and a half and came up with the numbers below to get an average per day:
    I eat an average of 1737 calories per day, burn an average of 582 calories per day, and average net calories is 1185. I guess the issue I have is that on some days I am burning 250 calories exercising and some days I am burning over 1000.

So, based on the info I have read here so far, I am not eating enough, correct? Does this explain why I have not been able to lose any weight? How do I know how many calories I should be eating each day? How do I manage the calories burned working out? Do I eat them, ignore them, average them out throughout the week and ignore the net calories? Please help!!!

Thanks!

Several reasons why the math could be wrong, either making you under-eat enough your body is going to fight any loss, or overestimating a bit.

I'd suggest first confirm the FitBit is doing decent math with the Harris BMR it uses.
    Compared to better estimated Katch BMR.

If the tested RMR supports the Katch BMR value looking right, great. If it's way less, either you have a medical condition, or you lowered it by undereating, don't go lower.

So once you know you can trust FitBit TDEE estimate, find 5 average typical non-exercise days that pretty much match up with your exercise days if you didn't exercise.

Now you need to know if your HRM is decently trust worthy. Because you are in good enough cardio shape, that if your BMI is bad, the Polar is going to under-estimate calorie burn, and that's not good either.
    But the better Polar will have a VO2max stat, and or test for it, that should be used at correct time.
    If not a Polar, then a way to take your workout time and average HR, and get a good figure.

So this will give it all to you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Once you have your stats in there on Simple Setup tab, go look at the TDEE Deficit tab, just the top part.
    There is your Katch and Harris BMR.
    If within 50 calories, great, close enough. If 200-400 off, adjustments need to be made to FitBit.
    Because FitBit uses BMR for sleeping time, and RMR based on that for non-moving or slow moving times. More movement is based on weight and pace though, so fine there.

You'll also notice there on the right your calculated RMR based on your estimated BF%. You can use that later after you get yours tested again.

Back to Simple Setup tab.
    If FitBit adjustment needs to be done because Harris BMR was 100 or more over Katch BMR, let me know. It is using inflated values.
    But for now, do the following anyway.
    In Activity Calculator, add hours of time in to the service trades or labor trades level until you see the TDEE in Your Results match what you came up with for 5 avg non-exercise days.
    Now for the exercise levels, sounds like high cardio is probably the place. But indeed compare to HR while walking at 3-4 mph, perhaps that swimming is at that level, but I'll bet not.

So there is now a TDEE based not on potentially wrong HRM readings, and you average out the exercise over the same week and eat the same amount daily.
    And deficit based on your amount to lose and that exercise time/type.
    And Progress tab to log your current measurements to compare later.

If the FitBit did need adjusting, you'll need to get 5 new days of avg reported non-exercise TDEE, and do that process with the Activity Calculator again.
    With the RMR testing, you may be higher than expected, so we'll have to adjust the BF% so you don't risk losing the muscle mass you got. But I'm pretty sure it's not that direction.

They told you for RMR test, no eating for 4-6 hrs (overnight fast best), and no exercise day before?
    Either thing will screw up RMR figures.
  • fechter99
    fechter99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, my Katch BMR and RMR previously match for now. My Katch BMR calculated to 1579 and my RMR tested previously to 1580. I will reassess after Tuesday's retest.

In regard to HRM, I am using a new Polar HRM with the VO2Max test set up which I know to run every so often to keep it updated based on fitness.

Meanwhile I will take a look at the spreadsheet and fill in the info on there. I recently switched from the Bodymedia armband to the HRM and fitbit so I don't have a lot of data for the fit bit as of now. I will keep an eye on it and see where those numbers lead me. I had been using the Bodymedia armband but suspect it was overestimating the calorie burn for my swimming since my heart rate is actually much lower than one would expect while swimming and even biking and suspect that is from all of the training i have been doing. I was actually very surprised myself when I first started this week wearing it while swimming but did the old fashioned heart rate check with pulse and time and it matched.

Looks like I really need to get all these numbers plugged in and really see where I am and where I should be eating.

For the RMR test, they did tell me no exercise, water, food for at least 4-6 hours but it will actually be overnight and a good 24 hours since previous workout since I swim early mornings (5am) on Mondays. I asked and was told that this should not impact the test.

thanks again!