Celebrating Non-Scale Victories! Members share your NSVs here!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ok - - so a NSV this week! My neighbor (bless her heart - she is 77 years young) brought a thank you gift to me (for giving her a helping hand with something) - - it was a whole package of cookies! No not just one or 2 but the entire package of sandwich crème cookies - - chocolate and vanilla - like oreos - totally addictive. So I knew I could not eat them, but thanked her profusely for the gift and tucked them away in a bag in the cupboard so I could not see them! Then 3 days later (oh, and they were screaming at me the entire 3 days) I took them to "share" are my knitting group!!! I can proudly say I DID NOT EAT ANY OF THEM!! Big NSV for me!!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @stangma sharing and spreading the joy is a great way not to eat all the cookies!
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've been eating between my TDEE and cut for about 3 weeks now and after an initial gain, the scale is slowly (yes very slowly) going down, but I had 2 clients tell me that I looked like I lost weight when I actually had gained a few pounds! Something is going right here if looks are better than the scale, I'll take it!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll take looking leaner over weighing less at any day, @pamatc2 ! Way to girl!!! The scale does not tell the real story!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    pamatc2 wrote: »
    I've been eating between my TDEE and cut for about 3 weeks now and after an initial gain, the scale is slowly (yes very slowly) going down, but I had 2 clients tell me that I looked like I lost weight when I actually had gained a few pounds! Something is going right here if looks are better than the scale, I'll take it!

Yes! Being leaner is definitely a winner! People can see YOU but they can't see your scale number. I know which I'd take. :)
    Please keep adding updates, we LOVE to hear these posts.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Being leaner is the way to go! Screw the scale!!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Repost from Beastmode_kitty:
    "Left pic is about a year ago, right is from today. Obviously the damage of eating too little has clearly shown i haven't progressed too much in a year. This is why eating too few calories doesn't work! With the amount of work I have done, obviously I was just preserving the muscle I did have and any weight that I was losing on the scale was more muscle than fat. Seeing this picture just drives me even more to continue on the Em2WL way of life! A year later I should see more progress than that!"

vcmk39qhyhwr.jpeg

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
    www.em2wl.com/results
  • obxsrfrgrl
    obxsrfrgrl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One of the girls in my office suite walked in with Wendy's just now. When I walked into her office, it was like I could smell the grease and fat in her cheese fries and bacon burger. I was so disgusted by the smell, I didn't even want some when she offered. That is a H.U.G.E. NSV for me because I <3 fries and bacon and burgers so much. Today, all I could think was how gross the Wendy's food looked and smelled and how I could totally make my own at home in a much healthier way. So, score one for clean eating and changing your perspective on food! :D
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    obxsrfrgrl wrote: »
    One of the girls in my office suite walked in with Wendy's just now. When I walked into her office, it was like I could smell the grease and fat in her cheese fries and bacon burger. I was so disgusted by the smell, I didn't even want some when she offered. That is a H.U.G.E. NSV for me because I <3 fries and bacon and burgers so much. Today, all I could think was how gross the Wendy's food looked and smelled and how I could totally make my own at home in a much healthier way. So, score one for clean eating and changing your perspective on food! :D

Thats an awesome NSV :)
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    pamatc2 wrote: »

@pamatc2 Yep! Looks will always trump the scale! #win!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Repost from @justsayinisall :smile:

"Just plugging along here. Slow but steady.

I really wish I could do vacation without a weight gain but, alas, I can't. Usually gain about 5-7 pounds. Though this last vacation was a cruise lol. I didn't FEEL like I overate too much but the numbers don't lie. I was prepared for it though. I did start cutting early to lose the pounds I KNEW I would gain on the cruise. So I was prepared, I didn't freak out, just jumped right back in to the cut.

The biggest thing this journey has taught me is how to eat. I've been on this earth 47 years and I didn't know how to eat *hangs head in shame*. I was an expert at the game; "how little can I eat to still function". And I was really good at not counting calories at all because; "F it, I'm going to gain weight anyway may as well eat whatever I want". I had zero clue on how much I needed to eat to fuel my body properly.

They REALLY need to teach this stuff in school. I know they teach a little bit about eating healthy and eating everything in moderation but if someone, anyone, would have told me that because I was built bigger than my peers I would need to eat a little more than they did, it could have saved years of heartache and frustration. I just didn't know. I'm a smart person too and I just didn't know. How crazy is that?? Everyone, doctors included, all said that if you are overweight you are eating too much and I believed them. No one bothered to ask me how much I was eating (hello I was eating under 800 calories a day for 10 years and still gained weight). Even when I started MFP, the main board, someone told me that it was impossible to gain weight eating one meal a day, pretty much called me a liar. One person put a link to this part of MFP and here we are. Thank you random internet stranger.

And thank you guys for talking sense. The minute I read things here, I swear, tears came to my eyes. The answers were in these pages. I just had to read them and follow the advice. You have all helped me break the cycle that could never be won. No matter how hard I tried and how low my calories went, I would never win the weight battle. Now? I've got this. I will win. I KNOW that with ever fiber of my being I will win this...hell I HAVE won this, it's just a work in progress..."

Tereza
    Team EM2WL