Workout Log & Progress

Options

Replies

• chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I really struggled today, I think mentally, because I was showing a friend some of the moves on Saturday and she found them really easy, particularly all the plank stuff which I just cannot do, so I don't know if that has affected me but I really didn't do well today at all.
  • luce0266
    luce0266 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chezilegh just remember you are doing the best you can! you got up put your gym gear on and made your best effort!! I am sure there are a ton of exercises your friend cant do that someone else can, rememeber she is not the one pushing and challenging herself to achieve something amazing every day!! And...well some days are just tougher than others.

I was so tired at the end of last week I decided to have a lie in on Friday instead of getting up at my usual 5:55am to shred -then lay in bed feeling horribly guilty and wishing I had just sucked it up and gone and done it! ... Worse still, then on Saturday you would have thought I was going to the toruture champer rather than a quick 20min work out, I just did not want to do it. But I did. It was really tough, I hated every minute of it and felt like a massive failure.

I took sunday off and then came back stronger than ever yesterday and today, jumped out of bed ready to go ... nothing different, my head just seemed to be in the right place..... its so weird what a difference a day makes they say.....how true!!

the one thing I have to admit that it really getting to me is not loosing ANY WEIGHT :( or inches ...day 16 (6 of L2) and nothing :( trying to stay postive, but its strating to get me down. Have decided I really need to up my exercise, 20min a day just isnt cutting it.

WOW, thats a long post.

I hope you guys are all getting through it and staying strong, have a great Tuesday :)
    x
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Thanks Luce :) xx

Yes I know you're right, hopefully I make my come back tomorrow!

Yes I think the lack of weightloss or inch loss is frustrating, considering what we all know we could be losing by doing low impact exercise and eating a lower number of calories. The exercise does seem to delay the results, but I do think that if we stick at it, the results will be much better for it in the end.

Fingers crossed. We are hardcore!
  • supermomtoo4
    supermomtoo4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support Chezileigh.

I did level 3 today. I liked it much better than level 2. Felt some new muscles getting worked on with this level. Had to take some breaks but I felt like I did pretty well. It wasn't so hard on my shoulders which I think made me feel better. On level 2 I didn't feel like my shoulders were getting stronger. It was just hard on them the whole time.

Luce, it is really frustrating! There is no way that this work isn't gonna pay off though. I'm curious, how much weight do you have to loose?
  • chezileigh
    Options
    I watched level 3 and although there were still some moves in there like that plank walk, that I know for a fact I simply won't be able to do, I did like the look of it better.

I think once I've finished this bout of the shred, I'll go back to level one, and use it as my cross training for days I don't run. Doing the shred every day and running every other day is surely part of why I'm losing steam at this point, but I don't want to give up on my running, I've got up to running for 7 minutes which is good progress from running 1 minute. At the same time I don't want to give up on the shred, and I'm really determined, having realised how poor my push-up/plank ability is, that I'm going to improve that.

Back to running as well tomorrow so wish me luck :)
  • luce0266
    luce0266 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh I just wrote a big reply and deleted it. That's very annoying.

For running a fantastic resource is about.com I used one of their training programmes to help me train for a half Marathon last year, they use a run walk run system which really helps build up endurance. There some other great articles there too, and some info and training programmes for more advanced runners. Something for everyone :)

http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/Running_for_Beginners.htm

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/a/quickstartrunningguide.htm

http://exercise.about.com/cs/running/a/begrunning.htm
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Thanks Luce I'll have a nosy. I'm using a training plan from the running bug which is good. It's run walking too.

Well, that's day 17 done. I worked really hard tonight and did the whole thing, just stopped to gulp water. I found it really hard but I did realise tonight the reason you don't feel it getting easier is because you're working harder as your fitness improves. At the end of the day you could work hard enough in this workout to tire out the girls doing it on the screen, they do look like they are working, so if they find it hard doing it as hard as they are, then we are going to find it hard every day of our 30.

I drank a litre of water doing the workout today, which is twice what I usually drink doing it, so I'm taking that as an indicator I'm working harder too. All the upper body stuff is good for me because even though it's really really hard now, that tells me I was lacking in that department before, so I'm glad I'm going to improve that.
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Day 18 done.

For those of you who may not have seen my other thread, I am now doing the shred only on alternative days, with my running schedule inbetween.

I ran last night. I hadn't run since Thursday last week. That day was my first day of running 7 minutes and walking for 3, and although I found I was recovering well before the 3 minutes was over, the workout as a whole was difficult, and I was conscious that I was running at the absolute slowest pace you ever could. Last night was daunting because having not run for one week, and having found the last workout quite hard, I wasn't sure how it would go. I ran for 7, then after walking for 1 I felt fully recovered, so I decided to step it up to running for 8 and walking for 2. After walking for 2 I ran for 9 to make up for the first interval, then walked for 2 then ran for 8. So 24 minutes of running in a 30 minute workout, and I DID run faster. I'm really pleased with this and feel that the rest has helped not hindered me, and the fact that I hadn't done the shred that morning as I would have done previously, was definitely part of that. Those static lunges, plus all the plank stuff was tiring my legs out too much to run later the same day I think.

My form was definitely better doing the shred this morning too, I completely knackered myself out, but I know it's because I worked harder.

Dead pleased. At the rate I'm now going I won't get to my first day of level 3 until next Thursday! But I don't mind it taking longer.

How are you lot getting on? Supermom? Luce? Hellllllooooooo.........where are youuuuuuuuuu....

xxx
    Che
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Day 19 done! Gillian was saying "I want you to feel as though you're going to die" and I was like "I think I'm dead already, this is hell, no wonder I'm so hot!"

But I got through it, and lived to tell the tale xx
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Do I smell this week? Lol!

Well I didn't manage the shred today as the car is brown bread again, so I had to walk 9 miles instead, which I thought was enough peril for the one day.

Hopefully back on it tomorrow as won't need to walk nearly as far, provided the car gets fixed at some point during the day. Wish me luck!
  • sunshine1992
    sunshine1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly chipping away at the shred for a month now. I do it about 2-3 a week, mainly with walking (steep inclines mostly, I live in a very hilly area) and some POP pilates on other days. I have finished level one and did my first level two today.
    I enjoyed it much more then level one but fairly sure that is purely because it was different. One thing I don't like about lvl2 is all the planks! Don't you know I rely on the abs part of the circuit to give my arms a rest Jillian!

I am considering trying to complete the last two levels in the designated 20 days, I am going away 24th September and would like to tone up as much as possible before then. I just don't know - it goes against everything I know about muscle recovery to do it every single day. Particularly as it is the exact same moves working exact same muscles. Thoughts on this?
  • chezileigh
    Options
    well, I have to say I agree. It goes against everything everyone knows, however, if you put your body under that much stress it will find a way to get stronger, and the idea is that you get good results quick. However, there is a risk of injury and it's very uncomfortable so probably makes us more likely to throw in the towel. I think from a business point of view they wanted to make wild claims about the results, and they recognised they would have to stress you to deliver on those claims. I think your way is more sensible and will have slower but longer lasting results.
  • sunshine1992
    Options
    So I just did lvl 2, day 2... and I went and hurt my quad didn't I! Funnily enough not actually doing a move but getting up from the floor (DOH!) I kept going with the workout but didn't do anything that hurt, so no squats, lunges or jumps.. instead of the cardio I did modified ski jump and some old school grape vines hahaha.. and just used my arms for things I couldn't use my legs for.

It doesn't feel like it will be a long lasting injury or anything - just pulled my muscle a bit, will have an epsom salt bath tonight and assess how I feel tomorrow.

Hope everyone is going well :-)
  • chezileigh
    Options
    bummer, hope you're feeling better tomorrow x
  • ch00singlife
    ch00singlife Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    no log, no progress...been at hospital for a week now with sick MIL and very sad FIL. No motivation to workout but have been logging food...I will return!!
  • supermomtoo4
    supermomtoo4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am still plugging away, just slower lately. I haven't been on much because my business takes me out of town to work events for 3 days at a time. When I'm working the events its activity from 7:00 am to 10:00 or later each day. There is no time to work out at all. Plus I'm exhaused and sore just from being on my feet that much. Eating is really challenging at these events too. It's all snack bar type food. Surprisingly though I usually loose a little weight over these work weekends. I think its all the activity.

So then on top of that I have been sick. So sick that they did an Endoscopy on me yesterday and thankfully didn't find anything wrong. I slep all day afterwards though. Today I feel better and I did day 2 of level 3. And I think I did pretty dang well since i haven't workout in a week.

Some of you have said that you don't want to do the Shred everyday. You know I have to agree. During the first two levels I have done it daily some of the time and other times I skipped days. When I do it everyday I feel like I'm not getting any stronger and have a lot of fatigue during the workout. I have noticed that when I do it every other day I rock the workout. I feel stronger and better able to finish everything with out so many breaks. I only have 8 more Shreds to go before I can say I finished it but I'll be doing mine everyother day from now on too. My husband really wants to do the couch to 5k, so I think we are going to start that on the days we don't Shred.

What do you think Chezileigh? Isn't that what you are doing now too. How is it working for you?
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Yep that's exactly what I'm doing and I'm finding it much easier than when I was doing shred everyday and running every other day on top of that. Plus this week I've had a few days break because the car broke and I literally had to walk everywhere, which clocked up 9 miles one day! I've lost a pound and ton of inches so I do think it does you good. Plus I did my run with my brother-in-law last night and was a lot faster than I ever have been, so I swear by it to be honest. Have a good and see how your results are x
  • chezileigh
    Options
    sorry to hear that choosing life, our thoughts are with you and we look forward to your return. xx
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Day 20 done. It killed me again. Never mind, onwards and upwards to level 3! eeek!
  • sunshine1992
    Options
    I ended up having a rest yesterday and got back to it today.. Lvl 2, Day 3! I felt fab today, felt really strong and pushed myself really hard and it paid off with an excellent calorie burn of 280 in 28 minutes, woo! I try to aim for 100 calories/10 minutes in my workouts. I often just miss it with the shred, so felt great to get there. Went for a light 30 minute walk straight after and my HR was still sky high so helped with that burn too!

Something I just wanted to add in case others haven't considered it, I have started shredding (and all workout DVDs actually) in front of a mirror.. finding it is really helping, I focus on my form heaps more which is great in itself, but it helps me 'get lost' a bit more which helps with boredom and ignoring my screaming muscles. So if this is possible for people I totally recommend it, even if you can pop your DVD in a laptop or something.

Awesome job on level 3 chez! You are going to be done in no time. You said you are planning on doing ripped in 30 next yeah? I actually tried level one of that last week and quite liked it. I am keen to give that one a go once I finish focusing on shred.

/End epic post!!