La Vuelta Challenge 2012 - The third Grand Tour

Options

Replies

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Back isn't 100%; at about 90%. But, the break in the non-stop rain was too tempting. So, I rode 15 dry miles. Then, the skies unloaded again. Felt good to get out again.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Rode quick 13 miles before church this morning in the rain; rain is supposed to spin out of the area tomorrow, so I hope to ride longer then.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Fingers crossed for Tuesday and hoping the tests go well - I've actually got a Dr's visit with my dad on Tuesday as well - hopefully just routine monitoring on his blood counts etc. as he's on Statins etc. after his stroke 15+ years ago...

These scans should find whether there's any more metastasized melanoma than what was found in the lumpy lymph node that was removed. We only found that because he is so skinny! By Friday we should know more about extent and, perhaps, whether we are going to migrate 460 miles to a better place for treatment. The joys of small town living in a state with no big cities and no cancer center specializing in this sort of odd cancer.

We did not ride the mountains while camping this weekend because one of his bike shoes was missing two cleat screws. :o(. This whole week has been a nightmare...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think that with 309, 303 & 301 on team 1, I'm pretty well useless. Y'all rock!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Shamelessly Cross-Posted from the Distances thread... "organisers perks" :smile:

One or two people have booked in either incomplete GPS logs, or rides with missing data. I'm sure i've said it before, but I'll re-state it here just for clarity:

1) I don't really INSIST on the gps log - though it's nice to be able to not only verify the ride, but for everyone else to "have a look where people are putting in the mileage" - for instance I find it fascinating to have a look on Google Earth/Streetview at some of the different terrains - I've spent hours "virtually" riding around India, America, Ireland and other parts of England and Wales "on your handlebars" so to speak. I can heartily recommend it, if you've a couple of hours to spend, and nothing better to do (it's a bit addictive tbh!)

2) Wherever possible, I'd sooner you booked a ride without the GPS than not book it, just because it won't count to YOUR individual jersey scores - I'm sure nobody does that anyway, but it wouldn't be a very "team player" kind of thing...

3) I'm not some kind of ogre... I'll happily "take a view" on something, and give what I think a fair judgement on it. For instance, Harksey's ride yesterday. The GPS log appeared to "cut off" 2/3 of the way around a fairly obvious loop. So, I was happy to give the claimed KM's of 114 rather than the logged figure of 75km. However, I did only book the logged ascent of 673m rather than anything "extrapolated", and awarded a ride time of "23h59m" rather than the 2h39m in the GPS log. Harsh, I know, and it'll thoroughly stuff his green jersey chances, but so be it. Similarly, Notfortyyet had a ride on saturday where she inadvertently deleted rather than saved the strava log. As the figures she quoted were complete, and the speed was below the normal ride average anyway, it didn't hurt to add it in. Sometimes, as organiser of this challenge, it's better to make "a judgement call" than just have a set of "like it or lump it" rules that are rigidly adhered to. I try and be fair, and hope I don't upset anyone, however - this is NOT a democracy, it's a (hopefully benign) dictatorship, so if anyone doesn't like what I decide.... TOUGH. My challenge, My Rules,My bat and ball...

Sorry for the hijack - enjoy the third week of the challenge - and don't forget - tomorrow (4th Sept) is a rest day - so ride if you must, but the km's won't count to the challenge :wink:

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm beginning to think that with 309, 303 & 301 on team 1, I'm pretty well useless. Y'all rock!

And what happens when it rains on all 3 of us the same day... Get out there and get the miles in, everyone is important, every km counts, and all contributions gratefully received :laugh:
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Today is "nerdie and husband go insane" day. He is not allowed to bike because of the "no exercise 24 hours prior to scan" rule, plus he can't have carbohydrates or sugars for 24 hours. No exercise? No comfort food? No junk food? Are you kidding me?

I doubt I will ride today as it would be so mean to him...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Today is "nerdie and husband go insane" day. He is not allowed to bike because of the "no exercise 24 hours prior to scan" rule, plus he can't have carbohydrates or sugars for 24 hours. No exercise? No comfort food? No junk food? Are you kidding me?

I doubt I will ride today as it would be so mean to him...

Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow, my thoughts are with you both.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I think he's out on a ride this morning (I'm at the office). It's going to be 105 again today. Sheesh, we are do over this heat. I'll try to ride tonight just before dark (it'll only be 97 by then...).

Doc appointments tomorrow.
  • rides4sanity
    Options

And what happens when it rains on all 3 of us the same day... Get out there and get the miles in, everyone is important, every km counts, and all contributions gratefully received :laugh:

I ride because I love to ride, so if its nice I'm out there happily logging away.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Well my riding is done for the challenge. Thanks to the Big Yin for running the challenge again. It was fun riding with all of you.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well - I'm glad to say, both teams have hit the total mileage figure - team #1 still have 2 undeclared rides to book, and have done 150.2% of the challenge distance, where team #2 have a massive 56 undeclared rides and a total of 107.7% distance achieved, so there's plenty of scope for them to catch up.

Rides (or null's) still needed from the following:

#305 - last 2 rides

#311 - last 11 rides
    #313 - last 5 rides
    #314 - no rides booked in entire challenge :huh:
    #314a - last 10 rides
    #318 - last 7 rides
    #319 - no rides officially booked in entire challenge (though I've picked up a couple from Strava...)
    #319a - last 18 rides

hopefully this might remind them to book in the last bits and bobs, and we can cut off and declare the Jerseys by mid week or so!

In the meantime, the following tickers make interesting reading - and well done to everyone who Joined in :drinker:

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Well - I'm glad to say, both teams have hit the total mileage figure - team #1 still have 8 undeclared rides to book, and have done 150.2% of the challenge distance, where team #2 have a massive 56 undeclared rides and a total of 107.7% distance achieved, so there's plenty of scope for them to catch up.

Rides (or null's) still needed from the following:

#304 - last 5 rides
    #305 - last 2 rides
    #307 - last 1 ride

#311 - last 11 rides
    #313 - last 5 rides
    #314 - no rides booked in entire challenge :huh:
    #314a - last 10 rides
    #318 - last 7 rides
    #319 - no rides officially booked in entire challenge (though I've picked up a couple from Strava...)
    #319a - last 18 rides

hopefully this might remind them to book in the last bits and bobs, and we can cut off and declare the Jerseys by mid week or so!

In the meantime, the following tickers make interesting reading - and well done to everyone who Joined in :drinker:

exercise.png

exercise.png

When's the cut-off point matie & when are going to publish results?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    better let our transatlantic cousins at least get to read what I posted mate :wink:... I'd like to sort something by Mid-Week Ideally...
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Good job TBY! After this gets over lets plan for some more such rides! It was fun riding!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Good job TBY! After this gets over lets plan for some more such rides! It was fun riding!

Well - MY next challenge to everyone will be my favourite Grand Tour - the Giro D'Italia, however if anyone else wants to come up with something I'll try and make the numbers up - though this month's probably the last of my bigger mileage rides, and I'll most likely be tapering down for the winter weather in the near future - so unless someone comes up with an indoor trainer compatible challenge I'll not be much use as a "Domestique"...

The Actual log is in an excel spreadsheet, but when it's completed, I'll probably stick it up for "share" on Google Documents (can't do it until it's complete, as the Google spreadsheet doesn't like some of the key formula's i've used :frown:)
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Sorry Yin, phone went bonkers, rode twice but logged no rides after last post, will input nulls.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sorry Yin, phone went bonkers, rode twice but logged no rides after last post, will input nulls.

No worries - there's plenty of distance already recorded - and in fairness, at 497.7km/27.61kph/3950m you're right about the jerseys - but it's still a damned good contribution I reckon :smile:
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I rode Saturday but garmin wouldn't let me upload. I'll try again.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Well - MY next challenge to everyone will be my favourite Grand Tour - the Giro D'Italia,
    Looking forward already :smile: should be good training for next years Dragon ride :wink: