La Vuelta Challenge 2012 - The third Grand Tour

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'd love to come up with something based around the "spring classics" tbh... but I don't really know how to make it a "cohesive challenge" - with the grand tour's there's the "team element" which motivates people to go out there and ride "because they don't want to let their teammates down" But with the 1 day classics, it's a funny one... If anyone has any ideas :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - I think that I've PM'ed a reminder to pretty much everyone who's got "missing rides" in the logbook. Hopefully we'll see the residual rides dropped in over the next few days...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Okay - I think that I've PM'ed a reminder to pretty much everyone who's got "missing rides" in the logbook. Hopefully we'll see the residual rides dropped in over the next few days...

Fingers crossed!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    This was great, and a huge thank you to Yin for doing the numbers work.

I'm really sorry team #2, I got sick, I've been nearly two weeks with a stubbron cold/flu and VERY hot and humid weather here in Tokyo, so I dropped the ball, thanks to all that picked up the slack :blushing: :drinker:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    How we doin' 'Yin?

When's the cut off?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well, I was going to make it midnight tonight UK time, but to be honest, I've just been asked by my neighbour, the local councilor, to comment on the regional cycling masterplan - so, before I do that, i've a 60 page PDF to plough through, read, understand, and prepare arguments to tear it to shreds with... so I may not actually be able to get any of the number crunching sorted today anyway. I'll give an update as to where I am on things later this evening - but I'm reckoning that it'll be tomorrow
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I'm reckoning that it'll be tomorrow

Good enough fella! :wink:
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    More power to you Yin for taking such a task at hand! Both the Grand Tour challenge and the Cycling Masterplan.

Best Wishes for a speedy information download and upload on the Masterplan. I don't know about where you live but here in Georgia I perceive the biggest problem with cycling and dino-juice drinking machines is that the operators of both are woefully ignorant of how to safely and harmoniously share the same patch of asphalt. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that education of both sets of operators is paramount to accomplishing any cycling plan.

/me get off soapbox cause 2 cents ain't worth much anymore ;-)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    last call for mileages please - submissions close at 23:30 (UK BST) on 14th September 2012 - so just under 24 hours from this post date stamp. Anything not declared after that time will NOT BE COUNTED.

Cheers.

TBY
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Are we there yet Dad?

How did you get on the the Local Councillor's Cycling thing?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I've said last call is 23:30 tonight - but if we get all the details before then, I'll crunch the numbers tonight and publish asap. As we've one rider that so far is a DNS, i'm not holding out a lot of hope on getting everyone early...

Local Cycling plan thingummy was "interesting"... I read through the policy document, and frankly, if they deliver what it says, a) it'll be brilliant and b) it'll be a fecking miracle. I gave them my thoughts and observations (6 sides of closely typed a4!) and wished them well in their actions. I've just been next door to hand it over, and run through a few of the observations with my neighbour. Even she reckons it'll be a miracle if they manage to get all of the plan completed - funding constraints being the obvious stumbling block.

Still - I've done my bit... can't really do much more now.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ******************************************************************************************************
    and that everyone, is the final deadline for ride details.

I'd like to thank everyone who's joined in, and I'll be finalising the distance logs etc. and awarding the jerseys sometime tomorrow (with a bit of luck and a vague chance of a tailwind!

******************************************************************************************************

See you all for the next Grand Tour Challenge in May 2013 - Giro D'Italia here we come!!!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    See you all for the next Grand Tour Challenge in May 2013 - Giro D'Italia here we come!!!

Looking forward to it already :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    GC Results

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B62MBpEIwiZ8VGNaaEs4Zll1ZE0

Congratulations to Dahamac - 1132.65km, or over 1/3 of the distance that the pro's did - Chapeau!

7989557079_b5015944f3_o.jpg

Points Results

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B62MBpEIwiZ8M2Q0d3FSLXdMTGs

Once again, speedmeister Cloggsy71 nailed it - 32.7kph is definitely not to be sneezed at!

7989557235_ec763abc8f_o.jpg

KoM Results

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B62MBpEIwiZ8S3dOVTdmdG5KM2s

And another jersey for FatDadSlim - 14,176m of ascent is simply staggering imo!

7989563542_7699e5cf31_o.jpg
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Well done all reat effort all round :)
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Awesome Dahamac - Really impressive!

Great climbing again FatDadSlim - or 'Mountain Goat' as you will now be known :wink:

I'm chuffed to bits with the green jersey; although not thrilled with the number of KM's I managed to do... :blushing:
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Cloggsy71 - Great Job chap! I've got my eye on your Green Jersey though ;-) Seriously, 32kph over that many km's is astounding.

FatDadSlim - Congrats you old'Goat and I mean that in the best possible way. I'll have to throw a few more meters in my commute home next time to see what you really got in ya!

Aw shucks, I felt like I was churning out low KM's as I would loved to have reached 2000km. Actually August 2012 was my highest mileage month ever 1774.5km (1102.6 miles). That also creates a stark realization of how tough my goal of doing a 1200km ride in 90 hours is going to be to achieve. I am ecstatic to have reached such a mileage total however since August makes just over a year that I have been cycling.

Oh yeah, I'd like to thank my support crew: My coach who rides with on every trip, Jesus. My wife Tracy who had endured endless cycling talk, numerous lonely hours while I ride, and many painful miles of riding recovery rides with me (it's the only way I'll go slow). My local bike shop, Blue Moon Bicycles in Griffin, GA who did awesome job outfitting me with bicycles and great mechanical support. BTW, snowridesbikes talked me into this and I still feel like I came up way short on mileage compared to dcmat.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'd like to thank my support crew: My coach who rides with on every trip, Jesus. My wife Tracy who had endured endless cycling talk, numerous lonely hours while I ride, and many painful miles of riding recovery rides with me (it's the only way I'll go slow). My local bike shop, Blue Moon Bicycles in Griffin, GA who did awesome job outfitting me with bicycles and great mechanical support. BTW, snowridesbikes talked me into this and I still feel like I came up way short on mileage compared to dcmat.

Wow! A proper 'winners speech', excellent. Look forward to the green jersey challenge next grand tour then :wink:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Knew i couldn't get the same mileage as i could do for the TdF so i made sure as much as possible that any mileage i did get in were hilly ones. Got to make sure my winter training is constant now, bring on the Giro :happy:

On a final note... Baaaaaahhhhh goat.png
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm just grateful that Dahamac posted his last 3 rides... It was looking awfuly like I was going to end up in the embarrasing position of having to award the red jersey to myself...

I'd like to thank everyone for getting on board and having a go at this challenge - hopefully it's motivated one or two of you to get out there and ride when you'd have normally said "Nahhh, not today!" I'm truly staggered and delighted at the way everyone's responded - despite everything life's thrown at us, we've ridden almost 9,000km's over 3 weeks, and climbed over 64 vertical kilometers (that's 7 and a quarter Everests!!)

I know i've enjoyed not only messing with the statistics (that's the Geek in me) but also looking at the GPS tracklogs of the places where some of you get to ride - it's fascinating the different terrains and areas we all get out there riding in.