Zero2hero2013 -

Options
ok,

Basic Info:
height: 6ft 2 187cm
Weight: today i am 89kg dry, (not carrying much water)
Basicv background, previously overweight, 17st last march (2011) decided wanted to get healthy, started weight lifting.

currently been at this for close to a year and a half and still loving it, my preferences are always compounds over anything else. alot of my training will be higher reps, full body workouts, using squats, deadlifts, bench press, ohp,.

My aims for this challenge is to get as much ab definition as i can before i start my next bulk straight after this finishes.

So here are my before pics,
zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92622-me-back-arms-shoulders-89kg-36-waist.jpg

zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92623-me-back-shoulders-up-89kg-36-waist.jpg

zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92624-me-front-89kg-36-waist.jpg

zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92625-me-side-angle-1-89kg-36-waist.jpg

zero2hero2013-albums-2012-picture92626-me-side-angle-2-89kg-36-waist.jpg

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you on board mate :smile:
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    cheers, im gonna be following every i can, i dont have a lot of time these days to get on here as much as i would like. started a new job 4 weeks ago which is really taking its toll, no more myfitpal time at work lol. finally got a smartphone so i can log my food more consistantly.

my training routine

Monday: full Body

Cable crossovers 3x10

Squats: usually, 60kgx15, 80kgx10, 100kgx5, 110-120kg for 1, working on my form currently adjusting to wide stance, but the weights are getting back to this and will be close.

Bench press, 2x15x55-60kg

Bent over rows 15x40kg, 10x50kg, 8x60kg

Ohp,15x30, 12x40

Thought i would add some face pulls here, 3x10

A few mins of ab work.

Tuesday,

3 mile walk to work

Wednesday: full body

Wide grip Pull ups, 5x5, ( i can only do 5 in a set so far, my aim is to get 25 total) i do it first as its a weaker area that needs attention

Deadlift, 15x100kg, 10x120kg, 8x130kg ( occasionally throw in a low rep high weight session probably every 3rd week)

incline dumbell chest press: 3x12, guessing 20-25kg each dumbell

Shoulder shrugs: 3x12x80kg

Leg press 3x12x200kg

Calf raises on leg press, 3x12x200kg

leg curls: 3x12x60kg

Thursday: rest

Friday: full body

10 mins rowing

squats 3x8x90kg

Bench press: 3x8x70kg

chin ups: 3x10 bw

dips: 3x10 bw

single arm bent over rows, 3x10x325-30kg (help balance a little more) cheers chris!

abs

so i rambled on and actually just set my new routine up as i went, i think it should be good and hopefully burn alot of calories in and post gym.

Lets Get This on the Road! Smash It People!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Looks like a decent routine there mate :smile: The only thing I'd say is that you should do at least one set of pull exercises for every push in the upper body. I pair SOHP with chins and bench with rows. I did see you actually use a rower though so that "should" help to keep the shoulder's healthy.

That's some high repping deadlifts too!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Looks like a solid program to help pack on some muscle mate.

our stats are not too different eh. never realised ha.
    i stand at 183cm. 94kg. So a little bigger at the moment :p
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    currently im aroound 89kg, . hoping to drop below 85 for the challenge then go back upto 90 an repeat. hopefully each time getting leanrer in the process.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    Todays training:

4x5 wide grip pull ups

1x15x100kg deadlift, 1x8x120kg deadlift, maybe a little to much going for 3 sets lol.

Shoulder shrugs: 3x12x80kg

incline dumbell chest press: 3x12, 20kg each dumbell

Leg press 3x10x430lbs

Calf raises on leg press, 1x12x430lbs, 1x20x430lbs

leg curls: 3x12x60kg

Bicep curl machine, 2x10x100lbs
  • moosejuice16
    Options
    Best of luck man! I started off similar to you. 17st at 6ft 1".

Will keep checking on your progress.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    a few hours post work out now, feeling pretty good, the workout wiped me out completely, im still amazed how i can knock out 12 reps of 430lbs on the leg press, but cant get more then 1 rep at 120kg for squats. i mean i know its different and easier without having to worry about falling over or being crucshed. my max was 505lbs for 5 or 8 i cant remeber but thats the equivalant of 240-245kg going through my legs, but 120+90kg making 210 on the squat and 1 is enough....

just have to keep pushing im sure now i have the wide stance footing down and adjusted to it i should be able to make much better gains my aim for the next 8 weeks is to keep the weights as heavy as possible, but to also improve my stance/form for squats ready for the next bulk after the challenge, is 120kg to 150kg over 3 months too much of a target to achieve?

anyway really wanted to post up and say how pumped i am for this challenge and to let everyone know a little about my plans for the future, I am going for it 100% through out the challenge, I WANT AS LITTLE FAT on me before i bulk as possible.

i wish everyone the best of luck and was thinking is it worht people posting a mid way check photo just to motivate others? i know seeing some of you already mega lean guys even leaner will motivate me! il be that obe day soon! hoping next may :-)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    240kg is a highly elite squat, even for a big dude like you thats a 2.5 bodyweight squat! If your looking to work on form, then you probably want some medium weight/light weight speed work thrown in somewhere. Thats where you grind out all the little things you need to think about and do, in the 80-100% range, well, thats where form goes out the window.....

Great that your pumped mate! Lets do this!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Agree with Foxy. You can't really compare leg press to squatting. I've only used a leg press machine a few times and maxed it out (can't remember how much) for reps fairly easily and my 1rm squat is 185kg.

Gaining 30kg on you're squat in 3 months in a deficit may be a tat optimistic I think. Just keep working on the form. As the form gets better everything else will fall into place. If you can get someone proficient to double check it would be good also. You could post a vid up here for others to critique.

And I love the enthusiasm! I'm pumped too. I think I'll post some mid way pics. I normally take pics each month for my own records anyway.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    yeah, i ws excited when writing it lol. i didnt explain properly, i meant, in november when i finish and bulk, my aim is to gain 10kg per month on the squat. nov-feb1st.

lol and i didnt mean i want to squat 240kg, although it be nice lol. what i meant is, if i can leg press 200kg for 12 reps, why cant i convert that into squats, i.e 110kg bar + 90kg bodyweight = 200kg total weigh on the legs as such for 12 reps .? im lucky if i can get 5 when i start bulking again.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    todays training:

bench press, 15x60kg, 15x50kg, 12x50kg

half hanging wide grip pull ups, semi assisted basically, 1x15, 1x12

rowing machine, 10 mins

clean and jerks, 10x3x50kg

bicycle, 5 mins

30 mins walk
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Clean and Jerks. Awesome. Are you just doing them yourself or did you get a coach?
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    a guy i met down the gym who is in awesome shape and in his 40's, he was the one who helped me with my deadlift, we kinda teamed up and met the same time each session a deadlift was due. when i started with him i was lucky enough to be as strong as he was but with his help i gained alot in that area. seen him doing them recently and today just joined him, he said to do them in sets of 3, he set the weight for me to do them, although to be fair i think it was perfect. then said 10 sets and 20 seconds between sets lol. by set 5 the cardio is in and your sweat through. he reckons it really helps work the slow twitch muscles. im thinking of doing something similar with the bench press, setting a weight and giving maybe 30 seconds between sets and doing sets of 3 then keep doing sets to failure. see how many i can do how much it hurts. i think its got to be a winner on the calorie burning front. i think i might even try it tomorrow on squats, ohp, chin ups.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I think you mean fast twitch fibres for the clean and jerks. Explosive movements activate fast twitch fibres. Sets of 3 is a great idea IMO. I wouldn't be doing those sort of lifts to failure though.

And re the squat vs leg press. It's just that leg pressing is easier haha. Not many people squat 1000lbs in the world but plenty can do 1000lbs on a leg press machine.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Yeah Chris has got it, Slow twitch is the more common muscle fibre you train through standard movements. Explosive movements like OLYs are built around fast twitch fibre, which is also built by sprint training. Explosive movements are draining, and thats why most OLY lifters train in singles, doubles and triples.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    todays training:

i was aching really badly today so didnt do too much.

squats,
    4x3x60kg 3x3x60kg 1x10x60kg

bench press
    2x 15x40 1x12x40kg rotated with the following, so 1 set of each with 30 seconds between each set and exercise

bent over row, single arm,
    3x10x20kg

ohp
    using a little spring in the legs to assist, but a little only.

1x8x50kg
    1x10x40kg
    1x6x40kg

semi assisted wide grip pull ups, 1x15x im gueeing 2/3rd of my bodyweight. so 60kg ish. its not easy but not too heavy.

abs
    3x20 sit ups

all done with in 35 mins.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    just realised, the first sets of squats was 4x3x80kg, not 60kg, my bad lol.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    todays training, done in circuit style,

30 seconds between sets and exercises

circuit 1,

4x10x60kg bench press
    3x10x60kg squat, 1x8x80kg
    shoulder press dumbells, 2x10x20kg, 1x10=x17.5kg, 1x10x15kg
    bent over row single arm,
    4x10x25kg

circuit 2,
    cable crossovers, 3x10 setting 5