Making Excercise a Habit

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited May 2017
    Sat 05/13 - TDEE: 3,847 cals, Intake: 3,277 cals, Deficit: 570 cals, Steps: 24,825 , Active Minutes: 199

Average Daily Deficit: 655 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board. However, even with good deficits, my weight is up slightly for the week (0.2 lbs), Guessing it has something to do with the stomach bug I had last week and now a viral induced cough that my wife's doc says has been going around and lasts 8 weeks. My wife is 6 weeks into it. I just started yesterday.
    [weakly] yay.

Weekly mow list complete, shop mowed, and replaced my wife's Sequoia's retractable antenna mast for mother's day. Only thing left on my to-do list is mow my own yard sometime today... between coughing fits, and look at her radio/CD player to see if I can remove the six CDs that are jammed in there.
  • d_thomas02
    Sun 05/14 - TDEE: 2,845 cals, Intake: 3,729 cals, Deficit: -884 cals, Steps: 10,851 , Active Minutes: 100

Average Daily Deficit: -884 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest (sorta) and refeed.

Yard mowed, check, and six CDs recovered from jammed radio/CD/cassette player, check.

CD player still not working but gave her choices for final part of mother's day gift.
    1) New third party radio/CD/cassette/Bluetooth player.
    2) New (used) factory radio/CD/cassette player.
    3) Bluetooth adapter for her current player so she can rip CDs to her smart phone and then play them through the car's speakers.

She is thinking about it.
  • d_thomas02
    Mon 05/15 - TDEE: 4,472 cals, Intake: 2,577 cals, Deficit: 1,895 cals, Steps: 30,183 , Active Minutes: 258

Average Daily Deficit: 506 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green acreoss the board except for a red Deficit. Still not sure why weight is still creeping up. Currently nearly a half pound up over the last seven days.

Pretty normal Monday. Beautiful sunny day with temps creeping into the mid 80sF. Today should be a carbon copy. Rain in forecast for later this week... again.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Tue 05/16 - TDEE: 3,628 cals, Intake: 3,167 cals, Deficit: 461 cals, Steps: 20,850 , Active Minutes: 137

Average Daily Deficit: 491 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board. This morning's daily weigh-in also looking better. Cough still in the back of my throat but not been an issue so far this week.

Pretty normal Tuesday. Little windy after lunch. Looks like rain has been pushed back to Friday (50%) and Saturday (60%) so maybe we can finally get in a normal week for a change.
  • d_thomas02
    Wed 05/17 - TDEE: 3,797 cals, Intake: 3,772 cals, Deficit: 25 cals, Steps: 21,817 , Active Minutes: 110

Average Daily Deficit: 374 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board except for red Deficit (< 100).

Normal Wednesday. Couple of sprinkles early but nothing that would slow us down. Wind picked up in the afternoon, 30 mph with gusts up to 40.

One college kid Summer help started. Had this kid last year so he isn't totally green. Second kid starts Monday.
  • d_thomas02
    Thu 05/18 - TDEE: 3,551 cals, Intake: 2,848 cals, Deficit: 703 cals, Steps: 18,433 , Active Minutes: 114

Average Daily Deficit: 440 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board except yellow Steps.

Warmest day of the season so far. Heat Index hit 89F. Triggered some strong overnight storms and a Tornado warning around 2am.
  • d_thomas02
    Fri 05/19 - TDEE: 3,598 cals, Intake: 3,109 cals, Deficit: 489 cals, Steps: 20,909 , Active Minutes: 198

Average Daily Deficit: 448 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board.

Two hour late start. Finished week list and then started on Sring shrub trimming. Had to cut day one stop short due to severe weather rolling in. Thunderstorms and Tornado watches and warnings. All drama over by 5:30pm. Settled into gentle rain... as if we needed more of that right now. Flood warnings out now.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Sat 05/20 - TDEE: 3,794 cals, Intake: 3,888 cals, Deficit: -94 cals, Steps: 17,194 , Active Minutes: 218

Average Daily Deficit: 371 cals (Sunday - Present)

Deficit is red and Steps are yellow. Everything else is in the green.

Four hour late start due to rain, but made up for it in intensity by dropping fert (spreading fertilizer) the rest of the day. Roughly 15,000 steps in about five hours, which includes drive time between clients. So call it around 5,000 steps an hour for three hours, or 2.5 mph pushing 50 lbs of fert in a spreader up and down wet yards.

Max heart rate about 118 bpm.

a0dypikpezll.png
  • d_thomas02
    Sun 05/21 - TDEE: 3,245 cals, Intake: 3,229 cals, Deficit: 16 cals, Steps: 14,827 , Active Minutes: 105

Average Daily Deficit: 16 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest day (sorta). Intake and Active Minutes are green, TDEE and Steps are yellow, and both Deficits are red.

Absolutely gorgeous day. Spent morning knocking ten years of spiders and mouse nests out of an old self-propelled push mower for a niece (and her husband) as they are closing on their first home.

After I got the engine running, took blade up to the shop and sharpened it. Mowed shop while there and managed to break left control arm completely off my 60" zero-turn! (Broke right arm off same machine last year so guessing a flaw in that production of pins.) Fortunately we have an older machine on the same model waiting on a new engine so was able to replace arm immediately.

Boss-man showed up to help finish the mowing and he brought beer which we drank while discussing plans for making a trummel sifter for our compost.

When beer was gone went home and put blade back on push mower and changed the oil. Its now ready to go to its new home.

Finished the day by tightening the belts on my Toyota truck as they were squalling pretty bad fording those deep puddles over the road last week.
  • d_thomas02
    Mon 05/22 - TDEE: 4,023 cals, Intake: 3,309 cals, Deficit: 714 cals, Steps: 28,670 , Active Minutes: 204

Average Daily Deficit: 365 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board.

Pretty normal Monday. Picked up two additional yards on Tuesday's list in anticipation of scattered showers today. Might drop some fert or trim some shrubs as well.
  • d_thomas02
    Tue 05/23 - TDEE: 3,694 cals, Intake: 3,399 cals, Deficit: 295 cals, Steps: 23,249 , Active Minutes: 134

Average Daily Deficit: 342 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board again. B)

Normal Tuesday plus some shrub trimming.

Looking at some popcorn showers after lunch today. Hopefully we can mow around them.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Wed 05/24 - TDEE: 3,323 cals, Intake: 4,252 cals, Deficit: -929 cals, Steps: 17,692 , Active Minutes: 58

Average Daily Deficit: 24 cals (Sunday - Present)

Apparently cold rainy days trigger my appetite. Intake in green. TDEE, Steps, and Active Minutes are yellow. And both deficits are red.

Four yards short of finishing the day's list. Off and on showers after lunch kept us cold and wet. Yards fully saturated by 4pm when I called it.

Today is looking to be better. Sunny and upper 70s F.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Thu 05/25 - TDEE: 3,939 cals, Intake: 3,735 cals, Deficit: 204 cals, Steps: 22,683 , Active Minutes: 188

Average Daily Deficit: 60 cals (Sunday - Present)

Green across the board except for Avg Daily Deficit which is still red.

Beautiful day. Sunny and mild. Great day to be out mowing. Caught up on the four yards we missed the day before, finished the day's list plus a little bit more. Should have no trouble finishing the week off today and get a few shrubs trimmed to boot.

Replaced the 72's PTO clutch (burned out Sun before last while mowing the shop) while drinking a brew with the boss-man but no joy. Clutch would not engage. Traced trouble to bad PTO switch which must have fried when old clutch failed. Fortunately found a working switch on an old junk mower which did the trick. 72 is back up and running almost like new. Will be using it today on two large fields on a school campus.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Fri 05/26 - TDEE: 4,609 cals, Intake: 3,192 cals, Deficit: 1,417 cals, Steps: 27,765 , Active Minutes: 362 (PB)

Average Daily Deficit: 286 cals (Sunday - Present)

Looks like they got embedded color codes working again. :D

72 ran better than in a long time. Glad its back.

Finished off week's mowing list and then took a big bite out of the Spring shrub trimming list. One client was particularly notable for her burning bushes allong the back fence. They had gone wild for years and were about 12 foot tall AND were full of honeysuckle and grapevine. Pretty much filled the back of my dump bed at that one spot alone... with four more normal trims to go. Fun times.

Afternoon was hot and humid. Not fun to work in but that is not unusual for the area... just not in May.
  • d_thomas02
    Sat 05/27 - TDEE: 2,454 cals, Intake: 2,067 cals, Deficit: 387 cals, Steps: 5,862 , Active Minutes: 0

Average Daily Deficit: 301 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest day.

Managed to keep the intake calories under control; probably due to heat and humidity, and working on a backyard forge with my son. It's a multi-fuel design; able to burn propane, diesel, or waste oil. Did our first 10 minute conditioning fire using propane. Learned quite a bit about how to light the thing... and only cost me a little singed hair off my arm. We'll do a second longer conditioning fire later today.
  • d_thomas02
    Sun 05/28 - TDEE: 3,108 cals, Intake: 1,879 cals, Deficit: 1,229 cals, Steps: 11,730 , Active Minutes: 20

Average Daily Deficit: 1,229 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest day, and another day working on the backyard forge

Second conditioning burn for 60 minutes using propane. Surprising how much water is still in the refractury cement even after months of air drying.

Spent a bit of time finishing the pressurized waste oil vessel and blower assembly. Also fabricated some hooks for removing melt crucible from forge.

Still need to put final touches on crucible and fabricate a pouring tool.

Future tasks on the forge to-do list in no particular order.
    1) a better ingot form. Currently using a thin muffin pan.
    2) Start mixing some casting sand. 1lb fine sand, 0.1 lbs bentonite clay, enough water to form a proper compacted lump.
    3) Knock together some casting boxes.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Mon 05/29 - TDEE: 2,872 cals, Intake: 3,025 cals, Deficit: -153 cals, Steps: 9,011 , Active Minutes: 22

Average Daily Deficit: 538 cals (Sunday - Present)

Last rest day of the long three day Memorial weekend.

Morning spent with extended family placing flower arrangements on family grave sites. Lunch with immediate family and then theatre movie ("Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2"). After that, my son and I put finial touches on crucible and pouring tools.

Fired up forge, this time on diesel, for finial conditioning burn.

Another notch on the learning curve... when melting a bunch or aluminum soda cans, don't stir the melt. This just traps the melted aluminum in with the dross (lots of dross in soda cans) and you get no pourable aluminum out of an hour's sweaty work. Next melt we will try skimming the dross off after each dozen or so cans. So now we need to make a dross skimmer before the next burn, probably on waste oil, next weekend.

Back to mowing... and, oh yeah, rain in the forecast.
  • hilkert
    hilkert Posts: 4 Member
    I agree with many of the comments above. The best thing for me is to find something you enjoy as exercise. If you don't enjoy it then exercise will continue to be a drudgery. I have made many great friends at the gym and they now ask if they don't see me their regularly. Keep that helps.
  • d_thomas02
    edited May 2017
    Tue 05/30 - TDEE: 3,660 cals, Intake: 4,236 cals, Deficit: -576 cals, Steps: 24,323 , Active Minutes: 108

Average Daily Deficit: 167 cals (Sunday - Present)

Looks like a refeed day.

Four days to get five days of work in. Ran all of Monday's route plus about a quarter of the yards from Tuesday's route, and got a little damp from light showers just after lunch. Today we'll finish Tuesday's route plus about half of Wednesday's. Keep this up, weather permitting, and we'll finish all the mows by Friday... and our reward will be shurb trimming all day Saturday.

Gotta love the Spring workload.
  • d_thomas02
    Wed 05/31 - TDEE: 3,883 cals, Intake: 3,089 cals, Deficit: 794 cals, Steps: 24,741 , Active Minutes: 139

Average Daily Deficit: 324 cals (Sunday - Present)

Tuesday's route done and over half of Wednesday's. Rain around lunch caused us to change plans but finished the day without getting more than damp.

May lacked 1" of being wettest on record. Normally we get about 18" YTD. This year we've gotten 28" YTD. (Yearly norm total is 45.5".)