Making Excercise a Habit

Options

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    Tue 07/11 - TDEE: 3,872 cals, Intake: 3,934 cals, Deficit: -62 cals, Steps: 21,177 , Active Minutes: 217

Average Daily Deficit: 427 cals (Sunday - Present)

Normal day plus three odd jobs in triple digit heat index. Raise tree canopy in one backyard. Clear fence row in another backyatd. And remove dead branches from a cedar bush in one front yard.

Loner mower sucks.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Wed 07/12 - TDEE: 3,748 cals, Intake: 3,822 cals, Deficit: -74 cals, Steps: 21,686 , Active Minutes: 162

Average Daily Deficit: 302 cals (Sunday - Present)
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Thu 07/13 - TDEE: 3,669 cals, Intake: 2,681 cals, Deficit: 988 cals, Steps: 19,551 , Active Minutes: 175

Average Daily Deficit: 439 cals (Sunday - Present)

Triple digit heat index and almost a one wringer day.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Fri 07/14 - TDEE: 3,127 cals, Intake: 3,092 cals, Deficit: 35 cals, Steps: 9,989 , Active Minutes: 22

Average Daily Deficit: 372 cals (Sunday - Present)

Numbers not so good today, probably 'cause I spent the day at the shop putting a new engine on my 60" rider.

Ran it for about 30 minutes at half throttle and then took it out and mowed a few stripes just to be sure everything was back in the green.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sat 07/15 - TDEE: 3,615 cals, Intake: 2,697 cals, Deficit: 918 cals, Steps: 22,224 , Active Minutes: 207

Average Daily Deficit: 450 cals (Sunday - Present)

Day off but went to work anyway. Mowed 4 acre at shop, more to put some time on my 60's new engine than because the shop needed it.

After that, put some time in on the hacksaw cutting through 4.5" steel pipe with 1/4" walls and 3/8" x 6" flat bar we're using as the bottom of the crucible. Decided to trim down the original crucible from 9" to 8.5" and cut parts for a second before working the welds to seal them.

Most of my "steps" are probably from pushing that hacksaw but, as I worked up a good sweat, I'll still take them.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sun 07/16 - TDEE: 3,034 cals, Intake: 3,090 cals, Deficit: -56 cals, Steps: 10,607 , Active Minutes: 44

Average Daily Deficit: -56 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest day. Managed to keep the refeed to a minimum.

Mainly by staying busy. Finished hacksawing the second crucible and ran to the shop to weld the base on. First half of weld went well and then that POS welder started going whaky. (Guess I need to respect the 20% duty cycle when welding thick materials, even if the overheat light isn't coming on.)

Now both crucibled are ready to seal the welds. Heating red hot and pounding with a cross peen blacksmith's hammer using the rail of my hydraulic wood splitter as an anvil.

Also worked on patching several broken rubber latched for both riders' bagging system.
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mon 07/17 - TDEE: 3,670 cals, Intake: 3,868 cals, Deficit: -198 cals, Steps: 20,388 , Active Minutes: 151

Average Daily Deficit: -127 cals (Sunday - Present)

Looks like the refeed caught up with me.

Rainfall is 9.5 inches above normal for the year, but things are getting crunchy out there. Skipped about 1/4 of our mows for the day. Back at the shop by 3 pm. Gave me way too much time at home stuffing my face.
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tue 07/18 - TDEE: 3,285 cals, Intake: 4,454 cals, Deficit: -1,169 cals, Steps: 13,034 , Active Minutes: 75

Average Daily Deficit: -474 cals (Sunday - Present)

And I thought Monday was a refeed! Yikes!!

Bossman picked me up just before lunch and we drove an hour plus out of town to pick up a wrecked car.Took an hour to load on the trailer and then another hour plus to drive back to the shop. That explains the low activity numbers.

No excuses for eating like there was no tomorrow. I think it was the barbecue lays potato chip that triggered the feeding frenzy. At least I logged everything.

Looking at four days in a row heat advisory. Temps mid to upper 90s F with heat index in triple digits. Yay.
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Wed 07/19 - TDEE: 3,735 cals, Intake: 2,810 cals, Deficit: 925 cals, Steps: 21,849 , Active Minutes: 180

Average Daily Deficit: -125 cals (Sunday - Present)

Better numbers, but got some work to do to make my Avg Daily Deficit goal by the end of the week. Each added day makes it harder to move that average.

Warm... yes it is. Hit 90 F (32 C) before lunch, And the humidity? Like breathing through a hot wet sponge all day long.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Thu 07/20 - TDEE: 3,365 cals, Intake: 3,275 cals, Deficit: 90 cals, Steps: 17,605 , Active Minutes: 125

Average Daily Deficit: -82 cals (Sunday - Present)

Heat starting to wear on me. Saw heat index of 103 F. Apparently this makes me gorge when I get home.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Fri 07/21 - TDEE: 3,368 cals, Intake: 4,253 cals, Deficit: -885 cals, Steps: 16,832 , Active Minutes: 96

Average Daily Deficit: -216 cals (Sunday - Present)

Numbers are down again. Bossman and I went weed spraying and looked a handful of new properties over. Getting too hot for citizens to mow their own lawns. Too bad this heat and lack of rain is causing the grass to go dormant. Good thing weeds are still growing and 60% of our clients irrigate.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sat 07/22 - TDEE: 2,236 cals, Intake: 4,236 cals, Deficit: -2,000 cals, Steps: 3,157 , Active Minutes: 0

Average Daily Deficit: -470 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest and refeed... same as happened last year. Gotta get on top of the uncontrolled eating.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sun 07/23 - TDEE: 2,853 cals, Intake: 2,193 cals, Deficit: 660 cals, Steps: 9,183 , Active Minutes: 44

Average Daily Deficit: 660 cals (Sunday - Present)

Good start to the week.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Mon 07/24 - TDEE: 3,411 cals, Intake: 2,836 cals, Deficit: 575 cals, Steps: 17,247 , Active Minutes: 92

Average Daily Deficit: 618 cals (Sunday - Present)

Down to a two man crew for most of this day, me and the college kid, which means I had to ride almost every yard. Add to that, half the list was a skip due to heat and lack of rain... activity numbers are down.

At least the eating was under control.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Tue 07/25 - TDEE: 3,496 cals, Intake: 2,589 cals, Deficit: 907 cals, Steps: 16,522 , Active Minutes: 128

Average Daily Deficit: 714 cals (Sunday - Present)

Only two skips but even the irrigated yards are getting crunchy spots in them.

Finished the day's mow list with enough time to run by a client wanting all the wood mulch removed from the landscapings to be replaced with river stone. Spent an hour during the hottest part of the day raking and shoveling moldy wood mulch into wheelbarrows and then lifting said wheelbarrows into the back of my work truck.

Published Heat Index hitting 103 F for the general area. Now working within three foot of the west side of a brick home, in full sun, without a breath of a breeze... guessing 110 F is not out of the question.

Reshaping the bed edges and hauling in the river stone will have to wait for another day. After an hour we were toast... literally.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Wed 07/26 - TDEE: 3,553 cals, Intake: 2,834 cals, Deficit: 719 cals, Steps: 17,299 , Active Minutes: 137

Average Daily Deficit: 715 cals (Sunday - Present)

Hottest day if the week so far. Finished day's mow list easily with time to run by a new client. Two guys mowed while the other two hacked through the landscaping trying to find the ornamentals. So much overgrowth that we were still hacking after the mowers finished. Was like a tropical jungle; hot, humid, not a breath of wind, posion ivy, snakes, mosquitoes, and other wild critters. Fun times.
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thu 07/27 - TDEE: 2,870 cals, Intake: 2,321 cals, Deficit: 549 cals, Steps: 7,093 , Active Minutes: 14

Average Daily Deficit: 682 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rainout. Much needed. Rain started about 5:30 AM and continued slow and steady until noon. Too wet even for odd jobs.

My son and I started tearing into his '04 Chevy Colorado's steering column. It's been behaving badly. At startup with engine running fine, either all dash light are on or they are all off along with no tac and no speedo. And if he starts it in Park, it stays locked in Park... until you wiggle the key a bit. Then everything works fine. We got down the the multifunction turn signal lever.

Then the bossman picked me and my SCUBA gear up and... we took it all in to a local dive shop for a good rebuild and conditioning. Guess its been at least three years since mine has been wet and longer for his.

After dropping off the gear we went to the shop. Changed out the break-in oil on my 60's new engine and replaced the leaking oil drain on the other crew's 48. Both those jobs shoulda been done last weekend.

Next we start tearing into a third engine (4.3L V6) that he has found for his inboard boat. First one the previous owners didn't winterize at all and cracked the block, flooding the oil chambers with water during first Spring start up (the condition he bought it in three years ago). Second engine was a $300 junker that shoulda had a good block but didn't. This third engine came from one of his gearhead employees and is suppose to be good... aside from the fact that a small socket (or something) got dropped down the carb while it was running and it ate it.

Stripped the heads off and looks like the socket got crushed with the majority passing through #3 while one sliver made it into #5 and was still there. Both piston heads are chewed, #3 definitely needs replaced. And #3's cylinder is questionable. Maybe it can be saved at 20 over which will also solve the piston head issues.

Oh well, third time is a charm.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Fri 07/28 - TDEE: 3,339 cals, Intake: 2,810 cals, Deficit: 529 cals, Steps: 16,801 , Active Minutes: 101

Average Daily Deficit: 657 cals (Sunday - Present)

More rain overnight. But normal start time. Will take a week or so for desiccated lawns to recover so still a few skips in the day's mowing list. Finished the week's mowing list with no trouble, but will be working Saturday to drop 13 tons of 1-2" river stone on that client's landscaping.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sat 07/29 - TDEE: 3,085 cals, Intake: 2,982 cals, Deficit: 103 cals, Steps: 9,182 , Active Minutes: 67

Average Daily Deficit: 577 cals (Sunday - Present)

Day of odd jobs. Fortunately the client's landscaping only need ten tons of river stone, not the estimated thirteen tons. Still, moving ten tons of rock in three hours even with seven guys... you're going to feel that the next day.

After the rock, bossman and I went and retrieved two large area rugs, one a tight heavy wool blend. After lunch back to the shop and continued stripping down the 4.3L engine for his boat. Ran into issues with some T30 bolts securing the cam and counterweight shafts. Two pan heads and two counter-sunk. One of each type came out easily. The other pan head finally came out but will need to be replace. The last counter-sunk will need to be drilled for an easy-out.

Will need to go back into the shop today anyway to replace a cracked heater hose on our newer cabover Isuzu that started spewing on the way back from dropping the river stone.
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sun 07/30 - TDEE: 3,078 cals, Intake: 2,555 cals, Deficit: 523 cals, Steps: 9,254 , Active Minutes: 34

Average Daily Deficit: 523 cals (Sunday - Present)

Rest day... sorta. [whispering] (And maybe I've gotten a handle on the refeed problem. Shhhh, don't jinx it.)

Finished the two new crucibles for the melt forge but had to run to the shop to replace that Isuzu's heater hose.

After lunch, my son and I fired up the melt forge and started recycling aluminum cans. Filled and emptied one of the crucible three times in a little over two hours inreasing our muffin sized ingot store from ten to thirty-three. And that is why cans are a poor source of aluminum. Very time consuming, a lot of dross to skim off, and low quality metal for the labor involved.

Will use the other crucible for melting our ingots when we are ready to start casting. Keeps dross in the pours to a minimum.

I'm getting the blacksmithing bug. Thinking about knocking together a blacksmith's forge. Anyone out there know of an anvil to be had on the cheap? Thinking 75 to 100 lbs. Currently the things are going for $5 to $10 a pound. I was thinking more along the lines of $1 to $2 a pound. [crosses fingers]