May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options

I just returned from South Carolina to Oregon before heading back to Oz next week. So interesting to watch the politics in the South vs. Oregon while we were there.
    Really loved Savannah, which is great because that's the girl name we have picked out. RBX, didn't make it to Charleston, but will on the next visit.

Hey, I live in Savannah (well, right outside)! I approve of your girl name. :flowerforyou:

Just checking in here. I never seem to find time to get on the MFP boards except on the weekends. I'm glad to see everyone doing so well. RBXChas, I'm sorry to hear about your BIL and SIL; how tough! Mormonmomma, yay for nausea quelling! It's kind of a shame that twice a week is a relief, though! :frown: Hopefully things continue to improve for you!

I've already "popped", I think. I finally had to break out the maternity pants and shirts today! In a way I was glad, because that means I'm past the looking-like-I've-just-been-gaining-weight stage :laugh: Still only at about 6-7 lbs gained, and I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow. I don't know if that's a lot or not much, but when I look in the mirror, I seem to only have gained anything in my belly and boobs, so I guess it's okay.

We've asked my oldest daughter (2.5 years old) if she wants another sister or another brother - she insists on another sister! Her reasoning is that the sister can wear her clothes. :laugh: We're *sort of* pulling for a boy, just so we'll have two of each (making sharing rooms easier, etc) but I guess we'll just have to wait and see at the ultrasound in a handful of weeks!

Thank you! Loved your city.

Your daughter sounds like a smart cookie! I bet you're happy to be at the showing stage.......this pudgy stage isn't fun. Where's your favorite maternity store?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

We had an interesting weekend. We went camping in Pisgah National Forest (North Carolina), which was GORGEOUS. However, it was really, really, really cold!!! The first night was about 27 degrees, and the second night was about 32. Our son slept pretty well both nights, surprisingly, but I really felt bad for the dogs because both mornings it took until about 10AM to warm up, and they were shivering all night until then. I thought their fur would keep them plenty warm (they all have longish fur), but I guess not. Lesson learned.

Wrangling a toddler at a campsite is tough, especially when it's really cold and all you want to do is sit by a fire. My BIL and SIL had their 12-month-old with them, too, and she was cranky the whole time and kept having diaper blowouts (so much fun when you have no bath or a real shower). It's also hard to enjoy the scenery when you have a child who's too old for a baby carrier, and strollers don't work well on trails (even jogging strollers). In retrospect we shouldn't have camped but done something a little less difficult, like rented cabins.

The kicker to the whole weekend? We get back to Charleston, and it's nearly 80 degrees today. Last night's low was 61, which was more or less the high temperature both days in NC!

Anyway, all was fine with BIL and SIL (who found out last week that they had a blighted ovum in case you didn't read any of my previous novels). SIL joked that the upside was that she could drink beer; I'm not surprised that with their personalities the weekend was totally fun (other than the cold and difficulties of handling the kids) and that they did not seem to be dwelling on what happened, at least not openly. I'm glad there doesn't appear to be any weirdness between us. I can appreciate that after something like that, for a lot of people the last person you want to be around is a pregnant lady.

The unfortunate side to it all was that my cold from last week developed into laryngitis over the weekend, so I had no voice on Saturday and have had little to no voice yesterday and today. I feel fine enough but still have a bit of a cough and sound like a dying seal. I asked my BIL (who's a pediatrician) if I needed to be concerned about being sick, and he said that laryngitis is viral, so there's nothing I can do, but that in 3% of cases with adults, it develops into pneumonia. (He also didn't think my cough sounded nearly bad enough to be bronchitis, which I completely agree with, having had it many times in the past.) So basically I need to keep an eye on it and make sure I don't get a fever. If I do, I need to call my OB to be seen and get on antibiotics. I haven't had a fever so far, and my voice is slowly improving, so hopefully that means I am on the mend!

Otherwise, though, I feel good. Just very hungry, and I have my next doctor's appointment on Thursday at noon. I ended up cancelling the NT scan (because God only knows what my insurance company is going to tell me I have to pay for that) but am keeping my regular appointment (for which I know the cost I have to cover). I didn't have the NT scan last time I was pregnant due to scheduling issues with my OB's office, but to me it's no big loss because it wouldn't change anything for us due to our beliefs. We will have the typical 20-week ultrasound to make sure all is going well. I'm looking forward to hearing the heartbeat on the doppler, though :)

I still think that I am feeling the baby move, though. The feeling keeps popping up randomly, and I am sure I am not gassy. I am also going to need maternity pants soon. I was able to fit into some bigger khakis this weekend (with room to spare, even), but those aren't work-appropriate. I don't have bigger work pants, so I think I have to go shopping. Craigslist seems to be lacking in maternity clothes unless they are very, very casual. Seriously, I don't need shorts or a tube top, thanks!

How is everyone else doing/feeling?
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I bet you're happy to be at the showing stage.......this pudgy stage isn't fun. Where's your favorite maternity store?

Definitely happy about it! I have all my maternity clothes from my first two pregnancies (the 2nd one was over summer while the 1st was over winter - of course!) so I probably won't buy anything this time around. But probably 90% of my clothes are from thrift stores, actually! Maternity clothes get worn for such a short period of time that the clothes for sale in the thrift stores are in GREAT shape usually. The rest I got from department stores (I think just Sears and JCPenney) and Old Navy (they had a great clearance price on comfy cotton pants during my first pregnancy - $5/pair!).

RBXChas, that camping trip sounds like one to remember! Whew, cold camping is not very fun. Especially while you're sick! Hope you're starting to be on the mend like you said.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We've been a little slow the last few days! How is everyone?

I'm doing pretty well - still throwing up a few times a week, and that's been a huge blessing compared to the hyperemesis gravidarum I suffered from last time.

My Symphsis Pubic Dysfunction (I can't ever rembmer if it's technically SPD or PSD) is acting up. I've been into the chiro once for it - but I really need to start going in once a week to manage the pain.

I've definitely got a baby bump forming - but my "pouch" from my last baby never went away so it looks like two little mounds on my tummy. :frown: I'm trying not to wear anything to form fitting because I feel "chubby" again.

And... I'm SOOO excited for Thanksgiving. I think it's my favorite holiday. I love trying a little bit of all my favorite dishes. This year I'm making two fresh cranberry dishes. Homemade cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges and a fresh cranberry relish! I've never made the relish before so I'm a little nervous about how it will turn out - but we love cranberry turkey sandwiches in our house, so I'm sure it will be gobbled up!

Anyone have fun plans for Turkey Day?
  • RBXChas
    Options

I'm doing pretty well - still throwing up a few times a week, and that's been a huge blessing compared to the hyperemesis gravidarum I suffered from last time.

My Symphsis Pubic Dysfunction (I can't ever rembmer if it's technically SPD or PSD) is acting up. I've been into the chiro once for it - but I really need to start going in once a week to manage the pain.

I've definitely got a baby bump forming - but my "pouch" from my last baby never went away so it looks like two little mounds on my tummy. :frown: I'm trying not to wear anything to form fitting because I feel "chubby" again.

And... I'm SOOO excited for Thanksgiving. I think it's my favorite holiday. I love trying a little bit of all my favorite dishes. This year I'm making two fresh cranberry dishes. Homemade cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges and a fresh cranberry relish! I've never made the relish before so I'm a little nervous about how it will turn out - but we love cranberry turkey sandwiches in our house, so I'm sure it will be gobbled up!

Sorry you're still getting sick, but I'm glad to hear that it's not as bad as last time. I am definitely looking pregnant these days. By looking in the mirror, I'd guess I was like 18 weeks, no joke. Seriously, there have to be more babies hidden in there! :tongue:

I'm also sorry to hear about your PSD/SPD (not sure what it is, either). I have to imagine that it is very uncomfortable. At least you know what the deal is, though, and can have your chiropractor straighten you out. I'm sure that was not easy to have diagnosed, since everyone just wants to call everything sciatica when you're pregnant.

I was supposed to have my doctor's appointment today at noon but had to postpone it until tomorrow morning. My son came home from school on Tuesday with all sorts of yucky eye boogers, which screams pinkeye (read: get on antibiotics and stay out of school for a day or two). I took him to the doctor yesterday, and not only does he have a bacterial eye infection (he didn't say pinkeye, but it's kind of blanket term) but a sinus infection as well. So I got him on antibiotics yesterday... they gave me oral (liquid) antibiotics to cover the sinus infection, which covers the eye infection as well. I was glad for that because putting eye drops in a toddler's eyes is difficult, but Mr. Boy over here does not want to take his medicine. Anyhow, I got him to take it yesterday and then again this morning with some OJ, then he had some milk and a banana, and *just* as we get on the highway to go to school/work, he throws up all over himself and the back seat (the antibiotics can supposedly cause an upset stomach - but I think he got to coughing, which is what triggered his gag reflex). I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic, unable to turn around, and the next exit is four miles down the road. I drove like a crazy woman to get to that exit and turned around. My husband was able to come back from the office to help me out, so I handled our son's bath and all the laundry (clothes, car seat cover, stuffed animal, etc.), while he handled cleaning the car itself and the shell/straps to the car seat. If this car seat weren't so %$&#* expensive, I'd have tossed it and bought a new one!

So right now I am home (my son just fell asleep for his nap), sad that I don't have my doctor's appointment, and still doing laundry. The car seat is sitting on my back porch, airing out/drying in 48-degree weather, so I can't even go anywhere. (My husband went back to the office.) The upside is that he had a traffic ticket to handle for a client this morning, and he explained to the officer (over the phone) why he couldn't be in court. The officer dropped the ticket purely out of pity. I'm sure our client will be thrilled :smile:

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is in a week! It is so early this year! I have seen waaaaaay too much of my in-laws in the past month, and that's who we're spending Thanksgiving with, so I'm kind of not looking forward to it (though my SIL's parents are pretty fun). They are not the best cooks in the world; I mean, it's ok enough/edible, but it's not a meal I look forward to, really. I wish I could be in NJ with my family and my awesome grandma's cooking! What we usually do is have a mini Thanksgiving the next day where we cook a ham (because turkey can be a pain in the butt sometimes, and ham is so much easier) and our favorite Thanksgiving sides.

Speaking of which, our supermarket's pharmacy has a coupon where if you get your flu shot there, you get a free frozen turkey up to 16 lbs! I am thinking I am going to get it, and even if we decide not to keep the turkey, we can always donate it. I realized it is mid-November and I still have yet to get my flu shot. I was thinking about doing it yesterday, since my son got his at the pediatrician's office yesterday, but I wanted to see my OB first and make sure I'm ok to get it, with this upper respiratory/laryngitis thing I have going on. I still don't have much of a voice, but it's getting a little better every day.

So, for those of you who plan on getting the flu shot, have you gotten yours yet, or am I the only one who's delayed this long?

How is everyone else feeling?
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Rebecca, can I just say I wish I knew you in real life. I think we could be good friends :smile:

As far as the sicky boy - I'm sorry. I know it's not the best for little one's teeth, but our little guy loves blue gatorade when he's sick. When we can't get him to drink or keep anything down - blue gatorade does the trick. Hopefully however the throwing up was just incedental and not reoccuring! Poor kid (and poor momma)!

Okay, okay... I have to admit why Thanksgiving is one of my favorite Holidays... (oh the shame!) For the last decade or so my parents have had the tradition of skipping Wednesday night's dinner before Thanksgiving and hosting our neighborhood and friends for "Pie Night". The rules of pie night are simple:

1. Skip Dinner
    2. Bring 1 pie per family (I swear 1 pie per family is plenty when you invite 20+ families over)
    3. Try as many pieces of pie as you want
    4. Come and Go as you please
    5. Socializing, Board Games, and Swapping recipes are optional.

It really is a blast and now that I don't crave stuffing my face with EVERY variation out there - it's a really fun way to enjoy a few pieces of pie without being too full from the turkey dinner. (I know, I should be shot for even admitting to this on a MFP, huh?)
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies - Hope it's not too late to join!

I'm just over 12 weeks with my first pregnancy and due on May 28th -- I would love to follow your stories as we all progress.

My pregnancy is pretty textbook so far - finally coming out of the nausea world and into the world of heartburn and headaches. lovely. Oh, and smells... I seem to be super sensitive to most kitchen smells if I'm not cooking it myself. I suppose because I only cook things I think I can stomach. :wink:

Tomorrow is our scheduled NT scan - hard not to be nervous about that!

Hope everyone is well -
    Heather
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Our thread seems to have gotten mysteriously quiet lately. Perhaps we're all in Thanksgiving preparation mode? Or maybe nothing's new on the pregnancy front? How was the week for everyone? I'm 15 weeks today.

I'm doing a bit better than before. Still a little nauseous, but it's definitely manageable. I'm frustrated that I gained 15 lbs. due to all the nausea-reducing eating, but hopefully that gain will slow down. The biggest issue now is just how quickly I tire. I hardly recognize myself -can this really be the same person who was running the best times of her life just this summer? I'm majorly exhausted after the least exertion. But hey, I'll take that over nausea ANY day!

My other pregnancy-related news is that I tried out some prenatal yoga classes. They were way too gentle for me, since they were geared more towards women who were further along. I'm trying to find classes that will help me with labor, but this one seemed more focused on relaxing now. Anyway, I'll just keep on searching. I'm still swimming with my team, but I've cut back on the intensity and duration of the workouts. Even though I feel exhausted after every workout, seeing all my friends there and the general positivity from the group also energizes me.

My husband & I are trying to figure out where we want to go on our honeymoon (which didn't happen earlier because we got married, bought a house, and got pregnant within a month!). Originally we wanted to hike the Alps, but obviously that's out now. We're trying to find a mix of culture, nature, and warmish weather in a reasonably affluent country (maybe it's a little snobby, but he said he didn't want to experience human suffering on our honeymoon). Any suggestions?

And welcome to Heather!
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thought 'd share a coupon I just used at Motherhood.com. I had been given a $30 gift card for my birthday in September and between the gift card and this coupon ($20 off a purchase of $100) + Motherhood's 30% off clearance right now it was a smokin' deal.

$20 off a $100+ purchase:

And there's one for free 3-7 day shipping:
    SAVEMH

Hope you all have a great day!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thought 'd share a coupon I just used at Motherhood.com. I had been given a $30 gift card for my birthday in September and between the gift card and this coupon ($20 off a purchase of $100) + Motherhood's 30% off clearance right now it was a smokin' deal.

$20 off a $100+ purchase:

And there's one for free 3-7 day shipping:
    SAVEMH

Hope you all have a great day!

Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the note about my son. I knew the vomiting was a one-time thing, but with the clean-up involved, we had to stay home. He acted fine the rest of the day, and I took his antibiotics back to the pharmacy for flavoring. Now he takes the medicine with no juice :happy: He went to school today and was fine - it is pajama day there, so he is wearing his cutest little Nick 'n Nora flannel pajamas!

Mormonmomma, it is sad that you guys don't live in SC. Seriously, I think we could hang! I love your "pie night" idea, too. Nothing but dessert is something I could definitely do :tongue:

Welcome to Heather! I am also 12w (well, 12w5d), so I'm right there with you. My nausea passed a while ago, but heartburn started kicking in this week, and I can smell EVERYTHING!

Oh, right - I had my OB appointment this morning, the one that was supposed to happen yesterday, and all is well! Good, strong heartbeat, though it took a minute for the lady to find it, which made me nervous. The OB heard it, too, and said it sounded great :smile:

I hope everyone is feeling good today and has a great Friday!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the coupons, Mormonmomma! Only one pair of pants still fits me, so I'm in the market!
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the coupons, Mormonmomma! Only one pair of pants still fits me, so I'm in the market!

No problem. Because I had the gift card I spent about $60 bucks and got:

-A pair of nice jeans
    -A pair of black slacks
    -A knee length skirt
    -A knee length work dress
    -Black tights

Most of my shirts from last time will still work, but I was seriously down to one pair of slacks (that kept falling off my hips), one pair of jean capris (not really preferable for "Jean Friday" at work), and a few bigger maxi dresses that are borderline too casual for the office. I decided I need to suck it up and spend a few bucks so I look professional during my presentations.

I can't WAIT for the clothes to get here, although I'm nervous that they won't fit - I'm not even sure what size I really am anymore.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Idk if it will help but I discovered the cure for my nausea is pretzels, not crackers and it has helped a ton since it has spiked in the last couple weeks. We will be going to my moms which is always exciting. Looking forward to it! Especially after the work luncheon we had which stuffed me!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So, for those of you who plan on getting the flu shot, have you gotten yours yet, or am I the only one who's delayed this long?

How is everyone else feeling?

I dont plan on getting my flu shot. Its just a personal preference. But I am doing well, saw the twins on Tuesday and they are growing great! I will be 14 weeks tomorrow and the tech isnt 100% sure but thinks theyre both girls, so Im kind of trying to decide names but none set yet, me and my hubby dont agree on much in the name department so that makes it hard. How is everyone else doing?
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Ladies!

RBXChas - Congrats on your strong heartbeat - that's great. Are you doing anything (besides tums) for your heartburn? I'm skeptical about the glass of milk think. And yes, the smells! The horror! Plus, lately, I'm having sporadic vomiting - I got really excited when the nausea started to pass, thinking I was into the 'honeymoon' of the 2nd trimester (do this even exist??) but now I just go from feeling mostly-okay to vomiting without warning. It's lovely.

TaraFTMVA - I agree on the pretzels - lifesavers!! And cereal. Infinite bowls of cereal are consumed each week.

mormonmomma11 - Thanks for the coupon! I have yet to buy anything maternity, but should probably take advantage of the deal! Let us know how everything fits.

And I'm glad I'm not the only other person tempted to scratch the whole Thanksgiving thing in favor of pie night. Really, who doesn't love pie? Is anyone traveling for Thanksgiving?

Happy Friday!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    RBXChas - Congrats on your strong heartbeat - that's great. Are you doing anything (besides tums) for your heartburn? I'm skeptical about the glass of milk think. And yes, the smells! The horror! Plus, lately, I'm having sporadic vomiting - I got really excited when the nausea started to pass, thinking I was into the 'honeymoon' of the 2nd trimester (do this even exist??) but now I just go from feeling mostly-okay to vomiting without warning. It's lovely.

And I'm glad I'm not the only other person tempted to scratch the whole Thanksgiving thing in favor of pie night. Really, who doesn't love pie? Is anyone traveling for Thanksgiving?

Happy Friday!

Yeah, I just take Tums for the heartburn. For me it helps a lot. Last time I was pregnant it hit me about 18-20 weeks (not sure why so early this time), but it was almost constant, especially at night. I was popping Tums like crazy! My OB told me I could take a lot of the OTC stomach meds (I have the list at home), so if it gets bad like last time, I will probably turn to one of those. I haven't tried the glass of milk thing, though!

But yes, I told my husband about "pie night," and he was excited about that idea. Maybe we should do that on Black Friday instead of trying to pull together a mini Thanksgiving dinner? I would be the weirdo who'd bring key lime pie, but I freaking love that stuff!

We are driving about an hour and 45 minutes away to see my in-laws for Thanksgiving, no big deal. The good news is, it's close enough to drive to/from without having to stay over, and it's far enough that no one will want to tag along back to our house :tongue: Plus we have the dogs to get back to and a little boy to put to bed, so we are forced to leave at a reasonable hour.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Jess- the second hand tip is great, never thought of it but it makes sense !

Rebecca you are a super trooper going camping! Brrrrr

Welcome Heather!

Mormonmamma, I hope you're feeling better and thanks for the tip on motherhood! Hope you're feeling better too.

The Laser- how far do you want to travel? I have Caribbean recommendations, but don't know if that's your speed. When are you going?

I've returned to Australia and survived the 22 hour travel day. I did get the flu shot while I was in the US, as traveling on those long haul flights I feel trapped with germs.

I thought the ms was behind me and eased up on the Zofran...... BIG mistake, I got very sick. It's so depressing, I want to feel better :sad:

I'm also bummed that we'll miss Thanksgiving....... Might be headed to Aussies KFC just so I can have mashed potatoes and gravy.

Anyways, have a good week ladies!
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Classic typo for me on the coupon ladies:

The $20 off coupon is: 132001390056 and it expires12/31/12

That's Rudybeach for letting me know it didn't work before - hopefully it does now!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    My husband & I are trying to figure out where we want to go on our honeymoon (which didn't happen earlier because we got married, bought a house, and got pregnant within a month!). Originally we wanted to hike the Alps, but obviously that's out now. We're trying to find a mix of culture, nature, and warmish weather in a reasonably affluent country (maybe it's a little snobby, but he said he didn't want to experience human suffering on our honeymoon). Any suggestions?

And welcome to Heather!

Sorry, I actually wanted to reply to you on Friday, but our internet went down :( Anyhow, I hate flying (long story), so my husband and I like to go on cruises. We live in a port city (Charleston, SC), but we are not Carnival Cruise Line fans, so we drive down to Port Canaveral, Florida to go out on Royal Caribbean. I have had plenty of air travel in my life, mostly to the Caribbean, so I'm well aware that you can go to a lot of these places and will end up driving past slums and whatnot on the way to your hotel. I don't mind it, but I can appreciate not wanting to see it while you're going to your nice resort with excellent food, running water, and consistent electricity and air conditioning. While cruises have their downsides, they really keep you away from most of that, plus you get to visit multiple places while not having to unpack or anything. We did a cruise when I was about four months pregnant with our son, and it was great! I couldn't drink at all, which is kind of sucky when everyone around you is boozing it up, but I'm not a big drinker to begin with, so it wasn't a huge deal.

If you need any ship recommendations, let me know (private message or whatever), since I've been on several Royal Caribbean ships and have done a few different itineraries. If you want to cruise out of Port Canaveral, I can tell you where to stay, too.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Classic typo for me on the coupon ladies:

The $20 off coupon is: 132001390056 and it expires12/31/12

That's Rudybeach for letting me know it didn't work before - hopefully it does now!

Thanks for the expiration date! I would love to take advantage, but right now money is tight, and my husband would like me to hold off as long as possible before stocking up. (Thanksgiving through New Year's is ridiculously slow every year - our clients prefer to pay Santa than their lawyers.)