Day 1 - Who's with me?

Options

Replies

• kbmomof3
    Options
    I am going to start this program tomorrow. I used to run (pre children) and now my kids are running 5K races with their Dad and I think it is time I join them. Looking forward to feeling stronger and healthier day by day.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Started today! This is my second time. I finished the program over the summer and ran a few 5ks. I want to increase my speed so I thought I would jog the walk parts and run ( >6 mph ) the rest the run. See if this will improve my speed...
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    my next run will be W2D1. It will take me twice as long to complete the program as I am repeating each week once.

any1 interested, please add me :)
  • Edimew
    Edimew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Edimew- That is AWFUL that you were ever laughed at. I can't imagine anyone laughing at someone for how slow they are. I mean anyone getting out there to better themselves just needs encouragement. I hope you can keep getting out there even if it is on the treadmill. I'm sorry anyone ever treated you that way.
    Puddle- Yay for starting the program! I'm just on week 2 so not far ahead of you. I can already tell a difference in how I feel and my endurance.

Thanks, but it was a long time ago. I shouldn't have let it put me off but I was quite young at the time (and considorably lighter) and what people think is so important when you're young). Now I'm old enough not to care what anyone thinks, but I'd still like to move a bit faster in the streets so it's the gym to start off with..

I have a feeling that the support from these boards is going to be real help

Gym tonight and I can't wait to get there.W1D3 for me (weeks start on a wednesday)
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph. I am starting week 3 this week. I am pretty scared. But I am going for it!

I have a new baby too. He is 7 months.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph. I am starting week 3 this week. I am pretty scared. But I am going for it!

I have a new baby too. He is 7 months.

You can do this. Just believe in yourself. Let us know how it goes.:flowerforyou:
  • kbmomof3
    Options
    Well I did W1D1 today. Not as good as I wanted it to go, but at least I got to the gym and started. I think I may have to repeat each week and make this an 18 week program, but I am fine with that. As long as I keep doing it, I will succeed eventually!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I completed w4d1 today. It was a little hard for me. I dropped my speed for the 800m from 5.0 to 4.8. I felt ok for until I got to the last 800m. I had to modify it a little to do jog 400m, walk 200m, jog 200m. Total distance was 2.25miles and time 38:05. This includes the w/u and c/d. I can definitely live with these stats for now.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Well I did W1D1 today. Not as good as I wanted it to go, but at least I got to the gym and started. I think I may have to repeat each week and make this an 18 week program, but I am fine with that. As long as I keep doing it, I will succeed eventually!

Good on you! No matter how long you take, it's still better than staying on the couch!

If my knees start hurting I curtail the running for that session and walk the rest of the way. But I'm not moving to the next week until I can do the current week's workout all the way through. Currently on week 2, and so far have managed to get about 2/3 of the way through before I have to stop. In the past I have had terrible problems with knee/foot pain so am rather wary of getting it again.
  • Edimew
    Edimew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure what happened at the gym yesterday. Just couldn't seem to reach my previous speed on the treadmill. Dunno if it was me or the treadmill but something wasn't right.

There's a lot of flu around at the moment so maybe I'm sickening for something or maybe all this new found activity is catching up with me? Anyone else find this happen in the early stages?

Anyhoo I perservered at lower a lower speed. so I did get there. Going to have a stab at week 2 on Saturday, but if I have to drop back so be it. Slow (very slow in my case) and steady wins the race.

a friend of mine told me about the 100 push ups challenge which seems to work on the same principle as C25K. You start small and work up. So I'm going to incorporate that into my regime too
  • mackzaj
    Options
    Just did W1D1 today! I feel terrific!
  • RoMosley
    RoMosley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in,starting tomorrow W1D1. I read all the discussions about this,Thanks so much,for those people posting,as
    they go thru and finish the program. 1. Just bought,a new pair of running shoes. 2, will go at my own pace,I will not,
    try to go all out. 3. If I have to,repeat a week,I will. 4. If I dont finish in 9 weeks,still continue. 5. Will use,the Rest Day,for
    my body to recover. 6. Don't talk myself,out of it,stay positive. 7. MUSIC, I'm running outside,but if I have to use the treadmill,
    I'm throwing a towel,over the digital part. 8. STRETCHING,before and after. 9. Plenty of water. 10, will need MFP, to keep,
    me motivated,please keep me going,no matter,how I much I complain. :flowerforyou: :happy: :bigsmile:
  • RoMosley
    Options
    Today was my W1D1,it went pretty easy for me,but it was just day 1,lot's of weeks to go. Im so happy,
    that I read all the post before starting this,it was a big help. I bought a new pair of running shoes,people
    let me tell you,what a big difference,it made,so comfortable,running.:wink::bigsmile:
  • mackzaj
    Options
    Remember when I said I felt good after the run? Holy cats, I'm SORE today! My hips especially, but no pain in my knees, shins or ankles where I expected it.

I'll have a hot epsom salt bath tonight, see if that helps. I'm out of town this weekend, but I will do the run when I arrive at my destination tomorrow after 4 hours in the car. I'll need it!
  • mistyj7
    mistyj7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 is tomorrow for me. My first day went well..I know it's going to get harder, but I expected to by dying the first day..since I really haven't been very active for a long time. After my first workout, I felt great and so proud of myself for finally starting this! Can't wait for tomorrow morning's run!!
  • dixiedoodah
    Options
    After lingering on this board for months, I had a huge dinner out today. Then after a great NSV day, didn't want to end in the red. So tonight at 10, I dusted off my treadmill and decided to end the day with my food diary in green. I did W1D1. I am really couch. I used the app on my phone. I walked at about 2.5 mph and jogged at about 3.5 mph. In the 30 minutes, I did 1.28 miles. Not very far, but as I am really just doing this for fitness, not planning to actually do a 5k in the immediate future, Ultimately, I'm more interested in lengthening my jogging segments and will worry about speed much much later.
  • mistyj7
    mistyj7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you for dusting off that treadmill..it's so hard to get to day 1, but you did it!! I just finished W1D2, and was a little sore, but felt great that I did it..very slowly, but I did it. I'm also doing this on the treadmill, which is a bit easier than jogging outside, but it still feels good. Congrats on starting the couch to 5k!
  • dixiedoodah
    Options
    Do you do M, W, F, or every other day? It says 3 times a week, but what seems to be the most natural? I started on a Friday, so not sure if I'll do Sunday or wait until Monday.
  • RoMosley
    Options
    Dixie,I'm with you,I also started Friday. I'm waiting til Monday. We can be on the same day.:smile:
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did W1D1 yesterday morning, and loved it! I have been struggling with plantar fasciitis for over a year, and in the last few months have been gradually increasing my walking and spinning. I was nervous that it might still be too soon, but my feet feel fine! No extra soreness in my feet, ankles, or shins -- only my calves. Lots of stretching and massaging before and after, of course, and I just ordered some compression socks. I love the app. Being able to listen to music and just focus on the movement till the next trainer cue was great. I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much if I had to pay attention to a timer.

Please feel free to add me if you're just starting out, too!