December Check In and Chat Thread

Options
Since it's the 2nd, I figure I'd start it. How's everyone doing? I mentioned before that I moved to more of a 3x5 format, and I'm at the point where I'm moving up in wee increments, but I'm happy with my progress and the weights are moving up!

I also posted some pics and measurements on my blog...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/extraordinary_machine

Replies

• Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow! Where did November go???

I am on week 11 and have also modified to a 3x5 format (Just for squats, but may add some other lifts to that at as well-namely bench and row). I too am moving up 1/2 lb at a time on upper body lifts and usually do two workouts at the same weight.

Think I'm going to start adding some extra exercises at the end of the workout, especially if I reduce to 3x5 on some of the upper body lifts. Yesterday I added dumbbell swings, 3 sets of 10 and liked the extra burn at the end.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Crimbo soooon! Agh!

Hey everyone! On my 3rd 4 week cycle of 5/3/1 and loving it. The weights are increasing a lot more slowly than 5 x 5 but I am happy. Am still lifting heavy and still feeling strong, fit and healthy. Want to up my running again and have started boxing for half an hour as warm up and cool down after two of my sessions per week. So an hour's boxing per week and 3 strength sessions. Will be back to stronglifts again come 2013 I am sure...and who knows what next from there (maybe my first triathlon and first marathon next year?!) Am defo changing gyms come April, I need proper strength equipment damnit! (the ones I have checked out all have ropes, chains, big tyres, farmer's walk weights, mma cages, boxing areas and at least 3 squat/power racks so no waiting about like a silly *kitten*) I am looking forward to next year already...70 kg bench press for 5 reps at a time?! I hope so!

Hope everyone else is enjoying the cooler weather. Love running in the cold, I feel so alive! We have had some major flooding in the UK this year, so that is not so great, but where I live we have been lucky. So near to Crimbo and so much rain ugh! Saying that I want some major snow this year, keeping fingers crossed.

Have a great December everyone! : )
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Jaxter, here's what I'm doing...
    Workout A
    Squats 3x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 3x5
    Single-leg Romanian Deadlits-3x8 each leg

Workout B
    Rear-foot elevated split squats-3x8
    OHP-3x5
    Dead-1x5
    Lat pull downs-3x8

I was going some core work when I switched to doing more exercises, but now I'm only doing extra core stuff if I'm not geting yoga in. I figure yoga 2-3 times a week will cover that core. I started to do a bit more since I'm usually only able to make it to the gym for 3 days a week if I'm lucky. This way, I feel like I'm still kicking *kitten* with only 2 days.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Just adding ishtar's comment here, we seem to have missed it earlier...in another thread...oops!
    Well, November was mostly a wash for me. Tweaked my shoulder and took more time off.

I'm in the same place I was at the beginning of November.

:(

115 lbs on squats
    72.5 bench
    72.5 row

60 overhead
    125 lbs deadlift

Still maintaining the same weight range 170-175 lbs.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    thank you for bringing my comment over here.

I'm just glad to be back.

:)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I recently bought fractional weights and I have to say I am super glad I did. I feel like working my way up on bench press is going to be so much easier now. I could not get past 55 pounds, I could only get 3 reps. So I went back down to 45lbs and worked my way back up... today I used my fractional weights for the first time at 52.5 pounds and I got all reps just fine. I might do the same weight one more time and try to get an extra rep in and then hopefully I will be able to get 55 pounds next *crosses fingers*
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Aren't fractionals amazing? The guys in the weight room give me funny looks when I walk in with them, but eff them!!
  • hesn92
    Options
    yes I'm sure some of the people probably were making fun of me in their heads because I had a 2 1/2 pound plate and a 1 1/4 pound plate on each end of the bar. But whatever!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get fractional weights in Canada? I have checked amazon.ca and can't find them....any ideas? I did see a couple of posts about 2 inch washers at hardware stores.....has anyone bought and used those?

Thanks so much!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    After a week off for Thanksgiving travels and another week off because of a sick kiddo, I finally got back to it this morning. It was tough, but I did increase my weights - may have to redo squats though, it was tough.

Squat - 115#
    BP - 70#
    Row - 90#

Ishtar - thanks for reminding me it's December already :wink:
  • ishtar13
    Options
    No problem, just didn't want your update to get lost. :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    yes I'm sure some of the people probably were making fun of me in their heads because I had a 2 1/2 pound plate and a 1 1/4 pound plate on each end of the bar. But whatever!

Haha. I feel silly doing that too. But - I've had a couple guys ask me about my fractionals, in a 'where did you get those, I want some" way. One of them was the guy who I consider the strongest guy in our weight room (that I've seen) as he's not a very big guy and squatting 365. Real lifters for strength know that the only thing that matters is that your lifts go up over time, not how MUCH they go up. Like Jim Wendler says, if you want to take your bench from (I forget what numbers he used) 200 to 250, you have to get to 205 first. Also. LOL. Benching 250. Haha. *cries*

I've started benching with the 25 lb plates. I'm ridiculously proud of myself. I'm pretty sure most of the guys in the weight room think its pathetic but they can f*** off.
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    Haha. I feel silly doing that too. But - I've had a couple guys ask me about my fractionals, in a 'where did you get those, I want some" way. One of them was the guy who I consider the strongest guy in our weight room (that I've seen) as he's not a very big guy and squatting 365. Real lifters for strength know that the only thing that matters is that your lifts go up over time, not how MUCH they go up. Like Jim Wendler says, if you want to take your bench from (I forget what numbers he used) 200 to 250, you have to get to 205 first. Also. LOL. Benching 250. Haha. *cries*

I've started benching with the 25 lb plates. I'm ridiculously proud of myself. I'm pretty sure most of the guys in the weight room think its pathetic but they can f*** off.

I was super proud of myself that I got to put 2 2.5 plates on my bench press today! haha I'm glad that i am not the only one who feels awkward about lifting weights as a woman...I feel like they stare at me! But I can say adding plates makes me feel like a badass. lol
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started week 3 yesterday and am THRILLED with how I've been able to increase the weight each session. I am loving squats and even with 2 so called 'bad knees' I have had zero knee pain/ache anything. I even managed my 5x5 OH press of 60 lbs yesterday. It was hard but I did it. I think I may only go up 2.5 though. It was freaking tough and upper body/shoulder have always been my weakest place.

Hubby and I are going on Sunday to get more weights and a squat cage!! He said if I'm going to do this I need the right equipment. I just love him. We have a great used equipment place nearby where plates are .50/lb and olympic bars are $30 and they have lots of reasonably priced equipment.

I am still swollen all over though (or that's what it feels like). I'm up 7 lbs total from a week before I started (150 now and I was 143 the week before I started). Granted there was a reset week in there for Thanksgiving, but clothes are tighter and I just feel 'bulky'. Wondering if I'm just retaining lots of fluid. I haven't lifted this heavy before.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with December! My son and I are moving right before Christmas to Florida so although it's going to be the best for us, moving is stressful and I think with the anticipation I've been slacking on my diet over the weekends and need to stop that. (So I'm writing it down here for accountability...:wink: ).

Deadlifts today. Working weight went from 145 ish last week to 160 this week. I got one rep at 165 so I'm really pushing on this lift because I'd love to pass my 1 RM of 175 next week.

Nice work on bench Tameko! I'm sure most guys at your gym are ADMIRING your 25 lb plates! Pretty awesome. :drinker:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I'm off to a bad start this month. I have a cough and don't feel great so have just been doing bodyweight exercises at home. And I'm going to be busy over the month, so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit the gym in.
  • ishtar13
    Options

That's fantastic!!! My highest bench so far was 82.5 for 4 reps, back in Sept (before I started flaking every other week). I can't wait to get to 25 lb plates!
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a trip to the gym...ran there and back, a mile each way, and deloaded, since after last week's session I could hardly walk for 4 days.

Squat 70#
    Bench 55#
    Row 65#

I have to say it felt much better and I could actually think about my form instead of just trying to lift the weight. I had really been on a roll and Thanksgiving messed me all up - hopefully December won't totally throw me off too.

25# plates! - nice job Tameko!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Completed my first SL workout for December. I am still trying to fix my squat form, so I stayed a 90 and I think I will stay there next workout too. Failed at OHP 60lbs, and dead lifted 140 again, trying to focus on pushing through my feet and keeping my back from rounding. I didn't do any SL workouts last week, but I did three Zuzana Light workouts, as I noticed my conditioning sucks these days. I will try to do those a couple times a week in a addition to my lifting.

I can't believe some of the awesome benching numbers I am seeing! I am so jealous! But...Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • hesn92
    Options

I was super proud of myself that I got to put 2 2.5 plates on my bench press today! haha I'm glad that i am not the only one who feels awkward about lifting weights as a woman...I feel like they stare at me! But I can say adding plates makes me feel like a badass. lol

I am jealous! I can't wait until I'm there. I do feel slightly awkward when I'm doing bench press... I feel like all the guys are snickering and making fun of me for how weak I am. One guy actually did poke fun at me one time. And I also felt awkward when I did rows correctly at the gym for the first time yesterday..Really love to stick my *kitten* out for all the guys behind me to look at. Not. hahah