December Check In and Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Happy December!!
    Im VERY happy with my progress - Im also doing 3x5 - BUT Im also working with a trainer on other days who has ensured my form is good

Squats 135# - I can do 2x5 - but continue to struggle with 5x5
    OHP - 55# That **** is HEAVY
    DLs 135#
    BP 70#
    Rows 85#

My trainer knows I am doing this program and is helping me add to it with rotating between upper and lower body workouts that enhance SLs -
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats Tameko! 95lb bench? Badass.

Last week I was thrilled to be deadlifting 135lb - the big girl plates, 45lbs. The trainer at that gym, who is not certified to train for Olympic lifts, walked in in the middle of my set. As I was leaving he said sort of quietly, "Don't see many girls deadlifting around here." Which made me feel awesome. But when I tried to engage him about Stronglifts, Rippetoe -- blank stare. Then proceeds to tell me he'd never get a girl client squatting / deadlifting with the barbell. See ya later dude.

Today, weird, I completely chickened out of my workout and went for a run instead. I am at 100lb squats and its starting to get hard. I'm going tomorrow though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had a "derp!" moment....

I've been doing Hack Squats ( http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html ) since I don't have a rack, money for a rack or room for a rack. And I'm up to 142 pounds, but I'm struggling like hell on my DL at 145 pounds. I couldn't understand why I could do 5x5 of the squats, but my grip was giving out on 1x5 on the DL.

The "derp" is that I do the deads last. My grip is already pooped from squats. So next time, I'm going to do the DL, then squats.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Just a quick suggestion for those of you that workout at home and don't have room for a squat rack - they make squat stands that take up far less room and easily movable.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3675758&010=SKU-6270542&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:3675758

This is just one example - I've seen them a bit cheaper other places and you could always check second hand stores and craigslist.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

It ***'d out the name of the store in your url Lmao
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just a quick suggestion for those of you that workout at home and don't have room for a squat rack - they make squat stands that take up far less room and easily movable.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3675758&010=SKU-6270542&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:3675758

This is just one example - I've seen them a bit cheaper other places and you could always check second hand stores and craigslist.

I was looking at these, but was afraid I'd tip it over if I put too much horizontal pressure on it re-racking 100+ lbs. Looked at a couple and they say they only weigh like 70lbs or so total.
  • jenniet04
    Options

I was looking at these, but was afraid I'd tip it over if I put too much horizontal pressure on it re-racking 100+ lbs. Looked at a couple and they say they only weigh like 70lbs or so total.

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if you load each side equally, then it should be OK.

so sore today!

Squats 115 lbs (repeated last weight)
    OHP 70 lbs
    Deadlift 135 lbs (only went up 5 lbs instead of 10 and glad I did)
  • yecatsml
    Options

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if you load each side equally, then it should be OK.

so sore today!

OHP 70 lbs

Nice lifts! I'm about the same and am feeling it today after lifting last night.

Guess I should have clarified more in my above post - I was thinking that when I stood up and went to get the bar off my back/shoulders and re-rack that the squat rack may "rock" backwards away from me if the weight was heavy and I was struggling even a little to re-rack it. I was just concerned about the stability of them being that some are 2 units.
  • jenniet04
    Options

so sore today!

OHP 70 lbs

Nice lifts! I'm about the same and am feeling it today after lifting last night.

Guess I should have clarified more in my above post - I was thinking that when I stood up and went to get the bar off my back/shoulders and re-rack that the squat rack may "rock" backwards away from me if the weight was heavy and I was struggling even a little to re-rack it. I was just concerned about the stability of them being that some are 2 units.

Ah, I get what you mean now. I never thought of that, but if you have the racks a bit lower than your shoulders so that when you get under it you have to stand up fully first, then when you go to put it down, you should be able to go straight down onto them.
  • yecatsml
    Options

so sore today!

OHP 70 lbs

Ah, I get what you mean now. I never thought of that, but if you have the racks a bit lower than your shoulders so that when you get under it you have to stand up fully first, then when you go to put it down, you should be able to go straight down onto them.

I may just have to try it out and see. They are way cheaper than a power cage (which I was looking at getting this weekend actually) Maybe get one from somewhere I can return it if it doesn't work. (and have a spotter just in case!)
  • yecatsml
    Options
    You may want to check out this thread on power racks/squat stands.......

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126624063
  • jenniet04
    Options
    You may want to check out this thread on power racks/squat stands.......

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126624063

Interesting
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for where I am in my life, hack squats are doing just fine for me. If I had an extra couple hundred bucks or more burning a hole in my pocket, there's a lot of things that would come first, like new ceiling tiles for my computer/dining room, a new washing machine or dishwasher, new clothes, etc.

I mean... I love what lifting has done for my body and confidence, but I'm not looking to be a power lifter or fitness competitor or anything like that. I'm fine with "good enough" instead of "ideal."
  • yecatsml
    Options
    Honestly, for where I am in my life, hack squats are doing just fine for me. If I had an extra couple hundred bucks or more burning a hole in my pocket, there's a lot of things that would come first, like new ceiling tiles for my computer/dining room, a new washing machine or dishwasher, new clothes, etc.

I mean... I love what lifting has done for my body and confidence, but I'm not looking to be a power lifter or fitness competitor or anything like that. I'm fine with "good enough" instead of "ideal."

I'm with you on this, but hubby insists on a holiday present to help me along. I may try to convince him just to get me weights and a bench and nix the power cage, but sometimes there is no stopping him.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    So, I was doing my workout today and was approached by a guy I had a quick conversation with a couple weeks ago (who is following Starting Strength). He told me my squat form was excellent. Yay!

Squat - Stayed at 90 againx5x5
    Press - 65x5x5
    Row - 80x5x5 but form struggled during the last set, will stay there for next workout.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So, I was doing my workout today and was approached by a guy I had a quick conversation with a couple weeks ago (who is following Starting Strength). He told me my squat form was excellent. Yay!

Squat - Stayed at 90 againx5x5
    Press - 65x5x5
    Row - 80x5x5 but form struggled during the last set, will stay there for next workout.

That's so cool! It's happened to me a couple of times, and it feels so good to hear that. I was approached by 2 guys much younger (and 1 older) than I am about that at different times.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Geez, I WISH someone would comment on my squat form. I lift by myself, and I'm so tempted to have some random dude take a vid using my phone of my squat form to show you guys. :laugh:

Tuesday was my A day:
    Squats: 105 3x5
    Bench: 75 5x5
    Row: 75 3x5
    SLRDL: 3x8 20 lb kettlebell

I had a guy spot me for my last bench set. I mentioned last month that my left arm doesn't extend all the way, and I was getting fatigued in the middle of my 4th set, so I was worried I was going to die on my last set. Of course, since a dude was spotting my wee set, I was all amped and powered through all 5 with no problems!

I also need to use a dumbbell for my single-leg deads...the kettle is too "big" and it was hitting the floor before I wanted it to.
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    Geez, I WISH someone would comment on my squat form. I lift by myself, and I'm so tempted to have some random dude take a vid using my phone of my squat form to show you guys. :laugh:

Me too! My best friend is doing the same program but he is in California so I'm constantly texting him while I am at the gym asking questions lol. The day before yesterday i made the mistake of using the smith machine ( I had no idea what it was and it wasn't labeled) I ended up falling backwards and smacking my head! I laughed got back up and finished my set but man...talk about embarrassment! lol
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've made it through 6 workouts and I love SL! I stalled nice on the Over head press, but I got it last night. I'm proud of myself.

BP 60
    Row 70
    Squat 65
    OHP 45
    DL 100
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'm new. I just finished the first stage of NRLFW and I'm psyched to start Stronglifts. I love that it's almost pure weight progress, none of this messing around with changing the number of sets and reps and crap.

If you were already lifting, did you drop your starting weights down significantly for this program?

Hi Dot! ;)