December Check In and Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'm new. I just finished the first stage of NRLFW and I'm psyched to start Stronglifts. I love that it's almost pure weight progress, none of this messing around with changing the number of sets and reps and crap.

If you were already lifting, did you drop your starting weights down significantly for this program?

Hi Dot! ;)

You should drop to about 50% of your 1rep max. So yes, most people drop significantly. Stage 1 isn't that long if I recall, so you might just be dropping back to the 'recommended' start weights.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Sare!! Glad to see you here! When I switched from NROLFW. To SL, I think I started with just the bar for everything except the deadlifts, I knew I could handle a bit more weight there. Hell, I'm barely off of just the bar on OHP and I restarted SL in October. :laugh:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's a great baseline.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    popping in to say hello - have introduced myself on another thread. Sorry didn't realise you count up your lifts in lb's. Will try to remember in future. :)

Well done on the strong lifts ladies!
    Look forward to being around more.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Welcome! And please don't feel like you have to talk weights in lbs...we have a few other kg peeps in here. I've gotten good at converting! :laugh:

So, I did 125 deadlifts with a mixed grip and I owned that b!tch! Thanks for the advice,everyone!:smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Finished week 11 tonight! :smile:

Bench: 95 lbs
    Row: 105 lbs
    Squat: 150 (hack squat)
    DL: 150
    OHP: 67
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Squat #90
    BP #50
    OP #50
    DL #70
    Rows 60

I was taking a #45 off the rack the other day. Some guy says, "oh, let me help you with that".

I got it. But thanks.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    popping in to say hello - have introduced myself on another thread. Sorry didn't realise you count up your lifts in lb's. Will try to remember in future. :)

Well done on the strong lifts ladies!
    Look forward to being around more.

Oh goodness don't worry about that. converting isn't that hard and some others use kg too.

for those that don't know, multiply kg by 2.2 to get lbs.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Finished week 11 tonight! :smile:

Bench: 95 lbs
    Row: 105 lbs
    Squat: 150 (hack squat)
    DL: 150
    OHP: 67

Me, too. Just finished this AM.

Squat: 135 lbs
    Bench: 80.5 lbs
    Row: 65.5 lbs
    OHP: 61 lbs
    DL: 140 lbs

Great progress!! Keep up the good work, all!

Jackie
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Have a burning shoulder (slight pull) from boxing today, hoping I can do those heavy shoulder presses (OHP) on Monday...damnit!!!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies :) will carry on in kg then as it's whats in my head after lifting.

Looking forward to hitting the gym tomorrow. haven't done any deadlifts for over a week and planning to do my sets then a few single reps to test out my Inzer deadlift suit.. got to admit not sure about it, but it's needed for the comp I want to do. It's short legged and very thick almost canvas like material, so holds everything VERY tight.. I hate my legs too so that won't help! lol
    Ahh well.. things we have to go through eh!

This morning was my day on the riding for disabled yard where I keep my horse. I'm doing a placement for uni as a volunteer so took a young man (with autism) around the forest for a hack (me on foot).
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I was taking a #45 off the rack the other day. Some guy says, "oh, let me help you with that".

I got it. But thanks.

Ha ha!

I posted my "Success Story" over on the public boards today. It did make me realize, after so many kind words, that although I have only lost 2lbs in 9 months, I have made huge gains in strength and confidence in the weight room, which carries over to real life. I was pumped to go workout today and killed it! I deadlifted 145 today and felt like a beast. The free bar is in the center of the weight area and it was pretty busy this morning, as I got in late. I noticed a lot of guys watching me with curiosity when I loaded it up, lol. So far, I haven't seen any other female deadlift, and only three guys do it.

I NEED fractionals. I went to 60 on the OHP today and could only to three reps on four sets and two on the last.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I got my fractionals from ebay--I think I got them from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CFF-2-Olympic-Fractional-Weight-Plate-Set-/140772353604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c6afa644

I wish gyms would have a couple sets, but it never occurred to me to ask them! I (finally) got to 55 lbs on OHP on Friday--it took me FOREVER to get there.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

So I have posted a couple of times inquiring about where to get fractional weights in Canada. I called around to the fitness stores in my area....no luck. Found them on amazon.com however the sellers state that they won't ship to Canada. I did find a set on ebay and the seller would ship international however it was going to end up costing quite a pretty penny to get them ($50.00 plus shipping). So I decided to go to Home Depot in an attempt to get creative lol

So this might not work for those that workout at a gym but I train at home, so I don't care what the solution is, as long as it's something that will make the progression on that damn OHP more attainable lol I found tape. YES TAPE lol There was a contractors pack of masking tape....4 rolls in the package. I picked it up and thought, yeah, I bet this is about 2lbs...making each roll about 0.5lb. So I bought 2 rolls at $9.98 each. Got them home and sure enough, each roll is 0.5lb!

I'm so excited to give my idea a go tomorrow morning! I just thought I would share in case anyone else has had a problem either finding the fractionals or doesn't have the cash to buy them. Plus I figure that I can actually use the tape after I'm so super duper strong that I don't need fractionals anymore lol

Happy Sunday all!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

I got started today. :) Did 65 for squats, just the bar for bench, and I used a 45 ez curl bar for the rows. I did a few warm up sets. I expected it to feel like it was taking forever with so many sets of the same thing, but the lower reps and fewer lifts balanced it out.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Finally feeling like I'm back in the groove. (Recall I dropped down to 3 sets after reading SS)

Squats - 120 lbs, 4/3/3
    Bench - 75 lbs 4/4/4
    Row - 75 lbs 4/4/4
    Assisted dips, lifting ~45% of my body weight: 5/4/3

So, didn't get 5 reps in any set, but it was first time since being back at these weights. Should hit it next time.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Vegas - thats a really swell solution! I think I am going to go there next time I have some free time and look for washers or something.

Ishtar - Looking good!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    As an FYI I did use my masking tape weights this morning and I have to say, it totally worked! I got a little excited though and tried to go up by 2lbs on my OHP and that was definitely a fail lol Should have started out going up 1lb but oh well! I'm normally not very creative so I must say that I'm pretty proud of myself lol

And pretty proud that I DL 115 this morning 1 x 5 :) It was only 2 weeks ago that I was only doing 60lb dumbbells!

Happy Monday all!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The masking tape was a great idea! I mean sure it will look a little weird at the commercial gym, but hey they already look at my 'real' fractionals pretty weird so I doubt it would be that different of a look.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The masking tape is brilliant! :drinker:

Before I got my new barbell, and I ran out of room for more plates on my old bar, I used the rubber handles on my dumbbells to attach them to the bar. It was the most gerry-rigged looking piece of poo ever!

Started week 12 today. Failed on 70# on OHP, but I'm pretty sure I'll kick it on Friday. Especially if I take a rest day on Thursday. :wink: