December Check In and Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    This 100 rep workout sounds cool! Did you follow the same exercises as SL or is it different?

I did an upper body version on Sunday and Legs yesterday. On Sunday I just picked an exercise for each upper body muscle group e.g. Chest-Bench Press, Triceps-Skullcrushers, etc. Yesterday's workout was brutal with Legs - Barbell Squats, Romanian Deadlifts w/step, Alternating Lunges w/Kettlebells, and finished it up with Barbell Calf Raises. It's fun to switch things up once in a while. :)

Yup, that sounds like a killer alright! You're right, it's great to switch things up! I think I might try that after my first cycle of SL! Thanks :)
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!!!

I was kinda sad the gym was closed yesterday....we aren't having any family functions until this weekend in another state, so I sat at home while everything was closed. Ended up doing somebody weight routines instead. But, was back in the gym this morning for SL. I felt awesome today - I go up to the 35 lb plates next workout! Super excited for that. though i think I'm getting close to fail for the squat - it was harder today and I don't feel I was able to get as low as I could previously.

Squat: 110 lb 5x5
    OHP: 45 lb 5x5
    deadlift: 110 lb 5x5

I've also been doing a push-up challenge in addition and was taking a break from it, but did those today as well. I was able to do 78 today! I'm supposed to hit 80 before I move on to the next set - seriously hard stuff. But I think SL really helps with that!
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!!!

I was kinda sad the gym was closed yesterday....we aren't having any family functions until this weekend in another state, so I sat at home while everything was closed. Ended up doing somebody weight routines instead. But, was back in the gym this morning for SL. I felt awesome today - I go up to the 35 lb plates next workout! Super excited for that. though i think I'm getting close to fail for the squat - it was harder today and I don't feel I was able to get as low as I could previously.

Squat: 110 lb 5x5
    OHP: 45 lb 5x5
    deadlift: 110 lb 5x5

I've also been doing a push-up challenge in addition and was taking a break from it, but did those today as well. I was able to do 78 today! I'm supposed to hit 80 before I move on to the next set - seriously hard stuff. But I think SL really helps with that!

Great workout! Try not to let form slip when you do squats! If you can't go into a full squat, don't go up in weight. It will work against you later on. :o) Awesome job on the pushups! I can't do 78...I don't think...I've never tried! Have a wonderful weekend with your family! :)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well, . I'm frustrated again.

I somehow twisted my knee last week. I didn't do it lifting, but it's affected my workouts. i haven't been able to squat because just getting out of a chair hurts.

In September, i was at 130 on squats, so I'm really frustrated.

So just posting an update to say I'm still here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My one week break is stretching into two. My callouses started peeling, cracking and bleeding. :grumble:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Well, . I'm frustrated again.

I somehow twisted my knee last week. I didn't do it lifting, but it's affected my workouts. i haven't been able to squat because just getting out of a chair hurts.

In September, i was at 130 on squats, so I'm really frustrated.

So just posting an update to say I'm still here.

I'm frustrated too today so ironic you posted this as I was just going to post something whiney lol We just have to keep our chins up! It sucks that your knee is giving you problems but hopefully you are able to do other parts of the workout :) I'm not injured....just frustrated with the slow results....and all the bloating after Christmas doesn't help either! BOOOOO!!!!!

Plus I have a date tonight and no idea what to wear.....so I'm stressed lol OMG really, that is the extent of my problem at this particular moment lol

In retrospect not even close to a knee injury.....so you win lol :laugh:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated too today so ironic you posted this as I was just going to post something whiney lol We just have to keep our chins up! It sucks that your knee is giving you problems but hopefully you are able to do other parts of the workout :) I'm not injured....just frustrated with the slow results....and all the bloating after Christmas doesn't help either! BOOOOO!!!!!

Plus I have a date tonight and no idea what to wear.....so I'm stressed lol OMG really, that is the extent of my problem at this particular moment lol

In retrospect not even close to a knee injury.....so you win lol :laugh:

it's not a contest; frustration is still frustration. you have my sympathies!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    MERRY XMAS ladies!!! Bring on 2013!

@ Nex: So I finally decided to research Tabata training and I tried my first workout this morning and I have to say, I'm hooked! I've seen you post a few times about Tabata so I figured I would throw a question about it at ya :)

I have developed a few workouts myself, all pretty normal cardio type stuff....ideas that I got from my research and that sort of thing. What I'm confused about is how you incorporate weights into the workout.....can you shed any light on this for me or even give me some ideas? Also, do you use Tabata as a finisher to your strength sessions or as a full workout? I'm thinking I would like to try it as a finisher at the end of each SL workout and then do my regular interval/hiit on alternate days.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've lifted through callouses bleeding (and ripping one off on a rack pull before). Just lots of chalk then clean hands and healing..

Well today, I'm chuffed to say my OHP went up 5kg! :) Not for the whole 5x5 but first time I've had 25kg in the air felt great. :) Hoping it reflects in my bench soon. :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I have developed a few workouts myself, all pretty normal cardio type stuff....ideas that I got from my research and that sort of thing. What I'm confused about is how you incorporate weights into the workout.....can you shed any light on this for me or even give me some ideas? Also, do you use Tabata as a finisher to your strength sessions or as a full workout? I'm thinking I would like to try it as a finisher at the end of each SL workout and then do my regular interval/hiit on alternate days.

I have a gym timer (gymboss) to set the times with beeps. So for a weighted tabata I usually use kettlebells, swings, snatches or the like. I often do rowing machine tabatas as finishers for strength or mixed sessions (you can use treadmill or those elliptical things too for cardio ones). I do them if I have lots of time left after any gym session and I still feel stoked enough. There are loads of ideas on the net, here are some weighted ones...

http://tinyurl.com/csent22
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have any callous issues, I don't know if I'm just lucky or what. I tend to spend a long time setting my grip up, maybe?
    I have callouses, they just lay pretty flat.

I've been a little sick this week (just a bit - coughing and I think congested as I'm having ear pain/blockage sensations but my nose is clear) and so I had a couple weaker workouts but I'm pleased that I managed to hit my numbers anyway, and I attribute it to the MAD AMOUNTS OF FOOD I've been eating.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I have a gym timer (gymboss) to set the times with beeps. So for a weighted tabata I usually use kettlebells, swings, snatches or the like. I often do rowing machine tabatas as finishers for strength or mixed sessions (you can use treadmill or those elliptical things too for cardio ones). I do them if I have lots of time left after any gym session and I still feel stoked enough. There are loads of ideas on the net, here are some weighted ones...

http://tinyurl.com/csent22

Great! Thanks so much :)
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I joined you all mid-month and really enjoy SL so far!

Unfortunately, with no squat rack, I got maxed out on squats. I couldnt clean the weight for fronts, and hack squats were really awkward on my knees form wise (though the weight going up was no problem)

i know squats are a fundamental of the program, but for now I had to mod, and exchange lunges on the deadlift days, and bulgarian split squats on the row days. Both exercises in a heavy, 5x5 format are pretty taxing still. I may incorporate lower weight kettlebell squats in a high rep range 1x a week just to keep my squat form up to par. Hopefully my modifications aren't sacrilege around here ;)

I'll be able to stack it on my back in May when I travel & join a gym for 4 months :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Week 5 done!

Squat 5x5 @ 105
    OH Press 5, 4, 3, 2, 2 @ 50 (epic fail!!!! something about 50 is my nemesis!)
    DL 1x5 @ 125 ( I have held solid here for a few workouts to ensure my form is on point before moving heavier)
    Bench 5x5 @ 53
    Row 5x5 @ 85 (Held solid here for a couple workouts as well for form purposes)

I added on a tabata and a few 30sec planks as a finisher today.....felt like a million bucks!

Question though....I have been reading/hearing a lot about deload weeks.....when is this applicable with a program like SL?

Have a great day!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't done stronglifts since right before thanksgiving, been working on doing at home workouts with my bf with our dumbbells and such. Finally made it back to the gym yesterday and had some GREAT all time high lifts AND

..... wait for it .....

I did two unassisted pull ups!!! Real ones!!! :D

Squats: 140 lbs 5x5
    Bench: 75 lbs 5x5
    Bent over rows: 80lbs 5x5

yayyy Looking forward to when I can get 1.5 x my body weight in squats!! Passed 1x recently (130 lbs).

Hope everyone else's december is going well!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Wow - congratulations on the pull ups!
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Question though....I have been reading/hearing a lot about deload weeks.....when is this applicable with a program like SL?

This is a great question. Not sure that SL has a specific deload period: From what I can tell, you deload once you have stalled x3 workouts in a row for each specific exercises. You only deload on those exercises in which you stall.

I know for Wendler's, every fourth week is a deload week in preparation for the next cycle.

Not sure this helps, but that is my understanding.

Jackie
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

This is a great question. Not sure that SL has a specific deload period: From what I can tell, you deload once you have stalled x3 workouts in a row for each specific exercises. You only deload on those exercises in which you stall.

I know for Wendler's, every fourth week is a deload week in preparation for the next cycle.

Not sure this helps, but that is my understanding.

Jackie

That does make sense in terms of the SL program. I was planning on just doing a deload or rest week after I'm done the initial 12 week program so I think I'll stick with that unless I really start to stall out. I have to travel for work in a couple weeks and will be unable to lift for about 5 days, so that will kind of serve as a rest week!

Thank you!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Well, I haven't done stronglifts since right before thanksgiving, been working on doing at home workouts with my bf with our dumbbells and such. Finally made it back to the gym yesterday and had some GREAT all time high lifts AND

..... wait for it .....

I did two unassisted pull ups!!! Real ones!!! :D

Squats: 140 lbs 5x5
    Bench: 75 lbs 5x5
    Bent over rows: 80lbs 5x5

yayyy Looking forward to when I can get 1.5 x my body weight in squats!! Passed 1x recently (130 lbs).

Hope everyone else's december is going well!!

Great work!!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Happy almost 2013!

Just finished up my last work-out for a while- at least for 5x5. I've been at it for over 16 weeks now and have loved it. But I feel like I need to mix it up to keep from getting bored/not keeping my muscles guessing. So I'm going to work out at home for a few months with Insanity Asylum/P90X... which should feel like a breeze after heavy lifting!

See you all again in a few months! Keep at it!