BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2013

Options

Replies

• hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Angel that's a beautifully written post, thank you.

I completely agree.
  • shankay82
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the group. I am hopeful to find support here. I finally came to terms with my Binge Eating last week, I told my husband and sought help for the first time in my life and feel very anxious. I was just diagnosed with depression/anxiety that I already knew I was battling. My Binge Eating was given a name for the first time in 15 years. I am thirty years old and don't remember a time when Binge Eating wasn't a part of my life. There are times when it is awful and times when I think it isn't so bad. Right now it's pretty bad. 6 out of the last 8 days have ended in a Binge, I have put on 11 pounds because of it. I am beside myself and can't get a grip. I haven't worked out in this time either. I find once I Binge the day is ruined! No gym, no eating healthy and guilt takes over. I am really looking forward to reading and listening to the experience within this group.

My Road To Recovery Starts Now...
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to the group. I am hopeful to find support here. I finally came to terms with my Binge Eating last week, I told my husband and sought help for the first time in my life and feel very anxious. I was just diagnosed with depression/anxiety that I already knew I was battling. My Binge Eating was given a name for the first time in 15 years. I am thirty years old and don't remember a time when Binge Eating wasn't a part of my life. There are times when it is awful and times when I think it isn't so bad. Right now it's pretty bad. 6 out of the last 8 days have ended in a Binge, I have put on 11 pounds because of it. I am beside myself and can't get a grip. I haven't worked out in this time either. I find once I Binge the day is ruined! No gym, no eating healthy and guilt takes over. I am really looking forward to reading and listening to the experience within this group.

So glad you are getting help and you are figuring out how to deal with it and stop!!! We all have done similar things. You can get control of this. Maybe not immediately, but you can make one good choice every day that will bring you closer to recovery!! Actually you already did that today by posting on here!!!:drinker:
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    angelaengbrec
    Great advice!!

Graelwyn75
    Sometimes for a few days after a binge I am more hungry. I think my body wants the extra food. It feels like a withdrawl. Good job avoiding the binge!!!

shankay82
    Welcome!!! So glad you are working on the BE! I was asked when my BE started by a therapist and I could not answer. I think I did it as a child too! Good luck on your journey!

Hello Everyone!! I have had 4 days without a binge. Yesterday was my weigh in day for a challenge. My leader said I could skip weighing if I wanted to but I wanted to participate. I lost weight and did not binge. I tend to binge if there is a loss or a gain. Either way the scale used to send me to food. I decided yesterday that was not going to happen!! I was not going to binge. So I made sure I ate enough, got exercise and watched my stress level. It worked! I still had to keep telling myself not to binge. I gave myself a little pep talk when I thought I was craving food.

I still find myself going to the pantry and looking inside (and the fridge). It is like a habit that I just walk over and look for food even when I was not planning to eat anything.

Anyone else just browse their pantry or fridge a lot? It is a bad habbit of mine.

Have a great day everyone!
  • dladisheff
    Options
    Chibea,

I could've written your post. I just joined the group recently after learning that my problem with food was called Binge Eating....I didn't know and I've done it since I was 5 years old...I used to get up during my nap when everyone else was sleeping, and eat anything I could find. I just finished gaining 20 lbs for the bingeing I'd been doing since November.

You can do this...recognizing the reality is the first step. Then, taking responsibility for what you do. It is no one else's fault...you are the one who does it. Once you take responsibility, you're well on your way to ending the binges.

Lots of good advice and support here....check out the helpful books link. I've read several of them and they are very helpful, especially the one by Dr, Christopher Fairburn called "Overcoming Binge Eating".

Good luck and hope to see you around here

Donna L.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm glad you're here. :happy:
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Browsing the pantry! I call it prowling the kitchen lol. Lately I'm giving myself 15 min windows - don't eat for 15 min and see how I feel. Then go another 15 min, and so on. I also like knowing that the food will still be available for anytime I might want it. It might not be in the house, because I just can't keep certain salty, carby things around, but it is always at the store waiting patiently for me :)
  • dladisheff
    Options
    Browsing the pantry! I call it prowling the kitchen lol. Lately I'm giving myself 15 min windows - don't eat for 15 min and see how I feel. Then go another 15 min, and so on. I also like knowing that the food will still be available for anytime I might want it. It might not be in the house, because I just can't keep certain salty, carby things around, but it is always at the store waiting patiently for me :)

Hi
    I think that's a really good technique....I'm going to try it. I can't keep salty/carby things around either....lol
    Donna L.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't really browse the fridge anymore but I used to do that a ton, I also used to just stand in the kitchen for hours munching on random stuff

One thing thats helped me a ton with my BED is cooking.. I absolutely love being in the kitchen and I find when I am busy in there I'm not thinking about snacking.. today I bulk-cooked chicken, made my overnight oatmeal, roasted about 5lbs of carrots to store in tupperwares for meals roasted some beets and sweedes and made a whole tray of roasted potatoes for my boyfriend. I watch youtube and browse mfp the whole time and its a great distraction.

Finding a love for healthy food and a passion for spending the time to cook myself healthy meals has really helped me. I still fear all kinds of foods, but I feel comfortable in the kitchen when I am cooking
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I am also a kitchen prowler! :sad: Back and forth, back and forth, all night long.... :noway:

I give myself time blocks too - "just make it until 8:00 and if you're still hungry you can have something". Or I'll find myself in there and don't even remember the thought process it took to get there. So I leave. I obviously wasn't hungry, just needed 'something'.
  • karendee4
    Options
    I love all the posting here. I can totatly relate. I caught myself prowling the kitchen (term stolen from Donna L.) last night. Luckily I had my lower calorie snacks to use. They kept me busy and satisfied.

I am doing better. Still fighting to find a therapist in my area. My current one is not working since she thinks there is no treatment for BED. I am going to see one that is out of my network in May. She is suposed to be awesome and she runs an eating disorder program nearby (it also is not on my insurance but she is the next best thing for me now)
    Hopefully she can help me treat BED and work on my anxiety so I can stay on track.

I also have been doing better with binges. I have stopped myself twice this week when I could have eaten the whole kitchen. I still struggle but some weeks are easier than others.

I hope everyone has a great day!! If you need help reach out to us. I know I would be happy to help anyone. I am learning to ask for help when I need it. Wow that is hard.

Karen

:smile: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :yawn: :huh: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :ohwell: :noway: :grumble: :tongue:

Donna L.
    I too realized I have binged since I was a child. I used food to replace love too.

MadDogManor
    I am glad I am not the only one that browses! I like "prowling the kitchen " that is a good term
    Good idea to wait 15 minutes. Gives you time to break the craving and make sure you want it.

tsikkz
    Cooking is great! I love to cook. I bulk grill chicken and other lean meats. Then we have leftovers for lunch and quick dinners on busy days.

Behavior_Modi
    I make a time for snacks at night. I give myself a window. I need to wait until a certain time to snack after dinner but well before bed. It helps keep me from grazing all night.
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a relief to find this site.
    I have most of the signs of an addict - hiding, constantly aware of food - looking for opportunities to sneak food, once starting binging finding it close to impossible to stop.

After a few weeks of binging every night I was feeling physically and emotionally awful. After dinner i'd stuff anything into my mouth - mostly bread, butter and cheese. Then I'd feel guilty and grossly stuffed - so eat more to cover the crappy feelings.

I've now managed 2 days of no binge and 2 days of tracking everything I eat. Was fortunate to be able to get exercise - worked doing gardening.

I'm focusing on one day at a time.

Thanks to each person who has written I know I'm not alone in this.

Anyone else in their fifties, still active and also struggling with this out of control BE?
  • karendee4
    Options
    sailrunner
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
    One day at a time is the way to do it! You can beat this BE. I had some tough days recently and have been working hard to beat this BE. Good job on the two days! Celbrate those victories!!

Check out the book list thread. I have been reading some of the suggested books and they are helping me a lot.
  • dladisheff
    Options
    I had a terrible time from 3 pm on yesterday...right through until I went to bed. I finally gave in and popped a bag of popcorn. When I looked at the huge bowl I asked myself...why? why are you going to eat all this? I wasn't even hungry. So, I had two handfuls and gave the rest to my husband. I've been doing so well, I didn't want to blow it plus talking to myself about it really helped. I wanted to eat so bad.

The only thing I did yesterday was that I skipped lunch and had an iced coffee with 1 cup milk instead. I won't do that again because maybe the deprivation of lunch is what set me off. I'm not sure.

I'm back on track this am and not craving.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible time from 3 pm on yesterday...right through until I went to bed. I finally gave in and popped a bag of popcorn. When I looked at the huge bowl I asked myself...why? why are you going to eat all this? I wasn't even hungry. So, I had two handfuls and gave the rest to my husband. I've been doing so well, I didn't want to blow it plus talking to myself about it really helped. I wanted to eat so bad.

The only thing I did yesterday was that I skipped lunch and had an iced coffee with 1 cup milk instead. I won't do that again because maybe the deprivation of lunch is what set me off. I'm not sure.

I'm back on track this am and not craving.

Dladisheff- Congrats on being back on track and handing the popcorn away! That's always a big step that I have a hard problem with, even after I recognize I am not at all hungry!

A nice blog post for today on http://ditchthebinge.com/stop-binge-eating/ about retraining your brain to recognize your positive patterns:

" [o]ur brains are programmed to look for patterns, to update our understanding of the world with fresh sensory information the entire time..."

"[R]focus her attention on everything she is doing well, everything that feels good and everything that works.
    She is going to pay more close attention to it, be aware of it, notice it more often – and congratulate herself for noticing – until her brain starts to get familiar with the new pattern – and starts encouraging her to repeat it, over and over."

"It will look for more patterns, look for more instances of the success, find fresh new ways to update the pattern of experience and belief – so that having a good day is more normal (and more expected) than having a bad day."

So keep up those good days everyone and pat yourself on the back!
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Extremely negative vent below!!

Wallowing in self pity today. I have lots of serious issues I am dealing with in my life right now, and the light at the end of the tunnel got turned off unexpectedly, so I just lost all hope. Put on Bruce Springsteen and ate everything I could find all day long.
    The good news is.... and only my friends here would understand this.....I was only over by 2000 cals!! I didn't have much high calorie food, so I filled up on some healthy fruits along with the rest of the junk food.

It was jealousy that triggered me. All my friends on here had substantial losses - one lost 10 pounds! I just felt like telling them all to go to Hell........nice aren't I ?:embarassed:
    I am tired of being supportive and nice when I am desperately eating myself to death. :explode: The green eyed monster and the binge monster are working together in my life right now.

It's 5am..today is a new day. Huge thanks to DucksandOrang for your post. Just EXACTLY what I needed to hear.
  • karendee4
    Options
    dladisheff
    Good Job on the popcorn. I too notice if I skip meals or deprive myself a binge could happen later.

DucksandOrang
    Thanks for sharing nice blog.

Chibea
    Sorry you had a tough day. I too have seen friends losing and was jealous. I work so hard and the weight comes off so slow (expesically when I binge and gain). I hope today is better for you. It sounds like you binge like I do. I also eat healthy foods when I binge. I don't just eat junk I could binge on fruits, veggies etc.

.................:smile:
    Another good day. Even though I went over a little yesterday. I allowed myself some junk food at the baseball game and it did not cause me to go on a binge later (sometimes junk foods cause me to binge later on)

Even though I was over some I am okay because I did not binge.

I am still having horrible hearburn. I stopped taking the anxiety meds the doc gave me that caused it. It is so bad I cannot swallow well. So today might be very bland and soft foods all day.

I hope everyone is doing well. Those of you having a tough day, hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Chibea - I totally understand, we all have those days sometimes. It can feel like practically from the moment you wake up till the moment you go to sleep all you do is eat and beat up on yourself and repeat the cycle. And it definitely doesn't help when other people seem to have it so easy! But they have their own bad days and you have your good days so just move on to the next day and dont forget to be kind to yourself too! :) Hang in there!

Karendee - Health problems that also effect eating are the WORST! When I'm struggling with diet restrictions due to health I feel like - how many food related thoughts/issues can one person have in their head at one time?!?! Congrats on making it through a baseball game!!! Big accomplishment!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Had a Hellish binge on Saturday night.
    I had to perform Verdi's 'Requiem' with the Philharmonic Choir I am in, in front of about 1000 people in a cathedral. I had been both excited and stressed for sometime, as I had struggled learning the words by heart. (All Latin). I went there on less than 5 hours sleep, and was up much earlier than usual, and basically ended up having a lot of cake while in this town as I think at some level, I associated it with a day out. I do not often go anywhere outside of my usual routine.

I think the combined emotions at the end of the performance, of relief, a slight sense of failure at having learnt all the words, my mother telling me she was proud of me(a rare thing) and having had a much smaller dinner, in terms of bulk, than usual, plus TOM being due, sent me over the edge. I found myself craving and planning on the car journey home and had my choir pal stop off so I could buy junk. Totalled about 8000 calories for the day, although I purged.

I enjoyed most of the eating and did not get to that point of feeling uncomfortably full and disgusted by the sugar until towards the end. But woke feeling like total crap. Drained, depressed and craving and wanting more of the same sort of food. It took a massive battle of wills to drag myself out into town to get some essentials I needed without giving into my binge urges, and to then also get my butt to the gym at a time I am usually getting showered and ready to eat.

I am back on track, but still battling the pre menstrual munchies and desire to eat all things wheat, sugar and fat filled.

Chibea - Gosh, I too get jealous and upset when I see people on my list losing weight. It makes me feel such a failure as I have been stuck so long. Then I question all I am doing and debate just cutting calories and exercise and seeing if that loses it, or cutting my strength training and just doing cardio which got me down before.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Ive slipped back into the habit of constantly grazing all night after i've had dinner, I think I need to find a way to break this habit again, does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to keep busy and drink water but I think I might need to get some gum or something. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake high and ive become pretty good at lying to myself that another spoon of peanut butter is actually better because it keeps my calories high. Its not what I would call a "binge" more just habitual munching.
This discussion has been closed.