Like Minded Lushes--January 2013

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I am totally impressed with the resolve to stay strong....thanks to others for keeping the thread going

9.6% of the way....Day 3

I am so proud of you all!!!!!!! I tried and failed today...I also haven't smoked a cigarette in 2 days so it was one or the other!! xoxo
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Well, no day 2 for me.....just had a shot and probably will have another!!
    oh well....
    This is why we are friends.
    Xoxo
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    K...I love you! Lush it up!

Chloe, I've become a K State fan recently...my FIL played nose tackle for them in the 60's and my husband's been watching them more this season.

Holy crap...the opening drive isn't looking good.

So, day 3 of zeros. It helps that the husband isn't drinking right now. Of course, I'm now craving chocolate and I'd cream. *sigh*
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Day three for me with "0". We will see how long it lasts. Thanks for the inspiration you all provide!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    Even though I sort of caved I consider it a true victory. I had 3 ounces of champagne. (it was left in the bottle and I couldn't throw it away) but that is it. nothing else I dreadmilled and I kept calories in control!!

Congrats for those going strong.
  • rjadams

I am so proud of you all!!!!!!! I tried and failed today...I also haven't smoked a cigarette in 2 days so it was one or the other!! xoxo

Woo hoo good for you!!!!! alcohol is a much better choice than the cigarette.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Day 3 for me as well. My husband is also doing JSNJ. So is one of my besties, so that helps.

RJ, I made my parents drink the leftover champagne before they left town. We're giving away all of our good beer to a friend soon.

Kate, I tend to have a cigarette every now and then when I get drunk. I used to always have cigarettes and if I had even a glass of wine, I'd want a smoke. I quit when I was pregnant, didn't smoke for about a year and a half, got drunk one night at the neighbor's and bummed one and every now and again if I'm drunk and around cigarettes, I'll have one. Or four. But I don't buy them and hardly any of my friends smoke anymore so that helps. I do still love to have a cigarette when I have a nice buzz....even though I know they're bad.

Well it's Friday. Now comes the real test......
  • kblue2007
    You guys are so impressive, congrats on the zeros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a lot last night.....3 shots, 4oz of wine and 8oz of port. But no cigs.

Ash, it was funny, last night we both felt like "ok a shot = a smoke" and that is going to be a hard habit to break. We don't smoke all that much mon-thurs...maybe 5 or 6 a day but when the booze starts flowing we can easily finish a pack or more. Its also a nice escape when your at a party and need to just avoid some of the noise for a while, so the next couple of weekends will be a good practice for the future!!!
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Welp, K-State lost...but fun was had by all at the watch party! My resolve to not drink the month of January (minus 2-3 days) can still work out for me. I will NOT be drinking at all this weekend & hopefully I can make it through the entire week next week without anything. Easier said than done due to hubby's nights off being Wednesday and Thursday.

Kate, way to go on not smoking. That is certainly a hard habit to break, especially when drinking! I generally do not smoke at all, unless I'm around others who do...then all bets are off. Alcohol is usually always involved as well.

Happy Friday everyone!!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Kate congrats on the no smoking! I quit a few years ago. I had the urge when drinking for awhile and gave in a few times. My last cig was in oct 2011 in NOLA and I was beyond wasted. Now I never even crave them. It does help that most my friend have quit now too.

Day 3 of zeros was a success

My back is still pretty bad, I took today off work again. I really think I am going to want some wine tonight we have family from out of town coming over for pizza and my cousin just turned 21 last week....so we will see.
  • SoCalWoman
    Congrats on the no smoking! Use the patch if you need to, it really helped me. My dr told me that she'd rather me be a bit over weight and drink then have me be a smoker. The single most important thing a woman can do to improve her health is to quit smoking!

Speaking of...I still feel like caca. 0 for me again. I've gone thru 2 big boxes of kleenex and have my jar of Vicks vapo rub next to me. Quite the pitiful sight...the only one who will come near me is the kitten.

Happy weekend all. The son leaves to go back to college on Sunday. :cry:
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Congrats on the no smoking! Use the patch if you need to, it really helped me. My dr told me that she'd rather me be a bit over weight and drink then have me be a smoker. The single most important thing a woman can do to improve her health is to quit smoking!

Speaking of...I still feel like caca. 0 for me again. I've gone thru 2 big boxes of kleenex and have my jar of Vicks vapo rub next to me. Quite the pitiful sight...the only one who will come near me is the kitten.

Happy weekend all. The son leaves to go back to college on Sunday. :cry:

Agreed about the women's health thing. I've tried for 22 years to get my mom to quit smoking despite knowing that she'll only quit if SHE wants to. She had breast cancer a few years back, she's "in the clear" right now but I thought that would scare her into quitting but she hasn't :ohwell: I don't hound her about it but I do let her know not and again that I would like her to stick around and be healthy. I never started smoking because of always being around her smoke, it completely turned me off and I think if I hadn't met Kyle I still probably would be alcohol free as well but such is life.

Had 3 glasses of wine last night then while husband was yelling at UPS I popped in the Santa Clause and watched it in bed while having a Sam Adams White Christmas that husband put in our bedroom fridge for me :smile: UPS was supposed to deliver our microwave yesterday and at the last minute said "something happened" then said they weren't responsible, oh of course not :noway: Then gave husband a hard time because we needed it here before 11am as the window for the installation is 11-3 and that was apparently out of their way so they left our box in the snow at the end of the driveway. It was not at all fun carrying an awkward 48 pound box down our long driveway :mad: This is not the first time they've screwed up either. They will say they have delivered a package when they haven't and in fact it's on a different truck and gets delivered the next day but it's never their fault. Never had this problem with Fed Ex before, needless to say if anything is wrong with out microwave they're going to get an earful :explode:

Nice think about him having Monday and Tuesday off is this week went quickly and now it's Friday and I'm hoping for a nice date night. His youngest sister is going back to school Sunday so his mom wants to get together before she goes so it looks like our Saturday night will be either here or at the in laws. Hopefully after this get together we can finally slow down, last year was all wedding stuff then the wedding of course and as soon as we got back from the mini moon the holidays for us anyway started immediately. It's been get togethers, birthdays and holidays non stop and I need a break. I know he wants to show off our new appliances but I am still getting the house in order from all the holidays and gifts. Then again when we host we don't have to worry about driving home buuuut do have to clean up or rather I clean up so I'm not sure which is better.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Happy Friday all :glasses: Good luck to those going for 0's this weekend! I'll pick up the lushness for you :drinker:
  • kblue2007
    Syd!!! So sorry you are still down and out, feel better soon!!! I am using the patch and it helps but certain parts of the day are difficult..one day at a time. I don't wanna make a big deal about quitting because I have done that in the past and failed so like I said one day at a time!
    I am also terrifed about gaining weight because it seems to be invitable when you quit because smoking raises your metabolism BUT I have some solid workouts and meals planned for next week and will continue to do so, so hopefully it doesn't affect me too much.
    xo
  • SoCalWoman
    Katie...one day at a time is the way to do it. And like exercising/losing weight..if you slip up...you just try again. I never give my smoker friends a hard time (altho there's very few of you left...especially here in Cali!) I know it doesn't work. You'll quit when you're ready (or when/if you get pregnant...that's what so many women do) The only thing that motivated my cousin to quit was the money she saved. We all need to find our own way there. ((Hugs))
  • rjadams
    Kate you can do it. Different things work for different people. I used to do 10 jumping jacks whenever I wanted one. Deep breathing from the JJs ( I was really out of shape then) and having to focus my mind on the coordination thing to do the JJs (I am a clutz) would let the craving pass. I quit November 2009.

Okay so I am battling with myself. I just got back from the dentist and my mouth is killing me. Really funky cavity/tooth restoration thing. (2 hours in the chair) and I want some wine to comfort myself. What is a girl supposed to do?
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    What is a girl supposed to do?

Stick to your guns and prove to yourself that you can do it.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Yep had a half bottle of wine tonight....and I am sorry but it feels great :laugh:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Chloe, you traitor!! :laugh: Good for you!!

I'm taking my principal PLACE test tomorrow (I have to pass it to get my principal's license) and I'm all stressed, but I still haven't caved. If I bomb it, I can take it again in March, but I'd rather not shell out $100 again.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    No wine or anything tonight. Pretty sure I'm sick though. Went to the gym today and came home and just hit a brick wall. Had to lay down in bed and ended up taking a 2 hour nap before my hubby came by for dinner. Now, it's off to bed for me again, complete with NyQuil. At least I'll be guaranteed a sleep-in morning tomorrow!

Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow, but I plan on going to the Y regardless.

I've decided that I am going to stay booze-free until January 12th when my best friend comes for a visit over the weekend from CA! Definitely need to celebrate!

Night lushes! Hope everyone is having a way better Friday evening than me! :smile:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Dot, good luck on the test. I'm sure that you will knock it out. It's just stressful meanwhile.

Bridget, hope you feel better and lose 3 lbs. while you are not feeling well. Please, don't go to the "Y" if you are sick. Not good for you and not good for everyone else. The flu is RAMPANT this year.

Day 4 was a success!! 12.9% of the way done.