Walk/Run to Rivendell (and beyond)?

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I just saw a topic of "how many miles did you run in 2012?" and that brought to mind a Walk To Rivendell challenge I saw many years ago. I had a look and it's still there: http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html (click on "hobbiton to rivendell" for distances/locations).

Since it's January 1st, who would like to keep track of the distance we walk/run in 2013 and see how far along to Rivendell (and beyond) we get? It might be kind of fun.

I plan to start today with W7D2. All walks and runs count: training days, extra walks, races, etc. As it says on the site: "if you can measure the distance, you can do this challenge. "

Who's in?

Replies

• PaytraB
    Options
    Jan 1: .............................................(Leave Bag End)
    Jan 1: 3.5 miles (60 min treadmill) (Total miles covered: 3.5 = Cross The Water on a plank bridge)
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love this... I'm SO in!
  • MonsterToBe
    Options
    ... Yesterday I left Bag End, jumped a hedge and went to the end of the lane. (Walked 1.1 miles.)
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    As a huge LOTR and The Hobbit nerd, I thought this was pretty cool. I do have to wonder though how (according to the site) it is 458 miles from Hobbiton to Rivendell in LOTR, but only 397 miles from Bag End to Rivendell in The Hobbit? It shouldn't be 61 miles from Bag End to Hobbiton.
  • MonsterToBe
    Options
    As a huge LOTR and The Hobbit nerd, I thought this was pretty cool. I do have to wonder though how (according to the site) it is 458 miles from Hobbiton to Rivendell in LOTR, but only 397 miles from Bag End to Rivendell in The Hobbit? It shouldn't be 61 miles from Bag End to Hobbiton.

Ha! I wondered the same thing, and then told myself I was taking it too seriously. Glad I'm not the only one!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Watched The Hobbit yesterday. Sounds fun. I'm in.
  • MonsterToBe
    Options
    This morning, I left the lane and followed the hedgerows south. Then I crossed the water on a plank bridge and crossed The Great Road from the Brandywine bridge, and just about made it to Tookland. (Today's distance: 3.79 miles, total distance: 4.89 miles.)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Jan 1: .............................................(Leave Bag End)
    Jan 1: 3.5 miles (60 min treadmill) (Total miles covered: 3.5 = Cross The Water on a plank bridge)

Jan 4: 4.0 miles (70 min treadmill) (Total miles covered: 7.5 = Look back at lights of Hobbiton from first slopes of the Green Hill Country)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Glad that others have joined me.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited that I've just stumbled on this!! So far I've done 15km (9mile):

I've left Bag End at full dark. Gone around (W) end, jump hedge, through gate into a lane. Headed west. Left lane, follow hedgerows south. Then crossed The Water on a plank bridge Cross The Great Road from the Brandywine Bridge. Enter Tookland. Look back at lights of Hobbiton from first slopes of the Green Hill Country. Now Hobbiton hidden as slopes rise and fall
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Pixie, you just passed me on the road. I'll have to work hard to keep up with you. :D
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Haha Plex, I go back to work on Monday so I've a feeling I'll slow down soon enough!
  • Stevearoonie
    Stevearoonie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Just another way to make the weight loss journey fun.

I hadn't been keeping track of the miles so far this year, just been running for time, but I will from here on out.

So far I've crossed the Great Road from the Brandywine Bridge and entered into Tookland.
  • Stevearoonie
    Options

Thank you for posting this! Awesomeness personified.
  • Stevearoonie
    Options

Ha! I wondered the same thing, and then told myself I was taking it too seriously. Glad I'm not the only one!

I'd say the simple answer is that Bilbo and the dwarves were guided by Gandalf, while Frodo and the other hobbits took a more circuitous route. Just a guess as one Tolkien nerd to another. :D
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Haha Plex, I go back to work on Monday so I've a feeling I'll slow down soon enough!

Me, too. :(
    I've really enjoyed the holidays and my time off.
  • PaytraB
    Options

Thank you for posting this! Awesomeness personified.

Yay! Always glad to have another runner on the road!
  • MonsterToBe
    Options

I'd say the simple answer is that Bilbo and the dwarves were guided by Gandalf, while Frodo and the other hobbits took a more circuitous route. Just a guess as one Tolkien nerd to another. :D

Love it!!! Of course, the Bag End to Rivendell page only gives a cumulative mileage of 7.5 from leaving Bag End to looking back at the lights of Hobbiton for Frodo and friends, but I still love the theory. :oD
  • MonsterToBe
    Options
    Yesterday morning, I entered Tookland. Later, I looked back at the lights of Hobbiton from the first slopes of the Green Hill Country, and as slopes rose and fell, Hobbiton was mostly hidden. (Day's miles: 3.59; total miles: 8.48)

I'm only counting C25K miles, btw. I have a Fitbit, so I could count all the miles I traverse, but I figure this way I have even more incentive to get out there and push it. lol
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OMG I'M IN.

I love LOTR and the Hobbit, I'm such a book nerd. My miles thus far this year are:

Jan 2nd - 5.33
    Jan 4th - 2.55
    January 5th- 2.73