Walk/Run to Rivendell (and beyond)?

Options

Replies

• scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    ok as of 2/2/13 I have gone 83.32 miles On path in the Forest. Path climbs gently. I am on my 4th week doing this which means 1 month since i started.

exercise.png
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Feb 3: 4.09 miles = 64.86 miles total = Farmer Maggot's house and buildings: brick with thatched roofs, surrounded by a high wall cut by a wooden gate from the lane. Eat.

I'm trying a new routine: incline of 0 with a quicker (for me) speed, alternating with inclines of 2-4 with slightly slower (for me) speeds. Today I completed 4K while doing this routine plus 30 minutes of warm-up and cool-down, for a total of 6.55K. I'm going to try this routine all week, then try running a straight 5K next Sunday. I'm hoping it'll make me stronger so that finishing 5K is more consistent than it has been.
    Those inclines (especially incline 4) are hard but I'm managing. It should make jogging outdoors in the spring a bit easier (I hope) with all the ups and downs of the terrain around here.
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    4.94 miles on Saturday brings me to 61.87

Edges of fields worked by Farmer Maggot.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Pixie - I'm going to lag a bit too, since I only run about 3 times a week and swim on alternate days (which I won't count for this)

39 miles so far, so it's twilight and I'm singing in the woods.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    YTD is now about 36kms or just over 22 miles

**So after camping by the large tree and leaving after 10:00 a.m., the road rolls up and down... and we make about 2 miles of progress - only 6 or 7 more miles to go!
  • Ms_Pixie
    Options
    Kim - thank goodness it's not just me!!
    I'm only running once or twice a week in among my other workouts so I've started counting any running that I do within my other 'exercises' like when I do interval runs with my trainer. Otherwise this'd be dreadfully slow progress!

Plex - good luck with your new routine! I hope it helps you stick that 5k every time!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Thanks, PixieO. The first test will be this coming Sunday, I think.

Feb 5: 4.23 miles = 69.09 miles total = Boggy land all around. Foggy. Merry meets them at the Ferry landing. As they reach the other side of the river, they can see a Black Rider on the west shore.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Crossed The Great Road from the Brandywine Bridge. Now in Tookland.

exercise.png
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    Morning all! Today brings me to 67.76.

Farmer Maggot's lane meets the Causeway to Buckleberry Ferry. Ride in wagon.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Feb 8: 4.32 miles = 73.41 miles total = Leave Crickhollow soon after 6:00 a.m. Foggy. Ride ponies slowly.

I did pretty good today. I jogged for 40 minutes, walked 5 minutes, then jogged another 5 minutes, with warm up/cool downs on either end. Throughout I did bursts of 2 minutes at a higher speed than I'm used to and didn't find it at all bad. I think I'm starting to get quicker at this. :smile:
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    Feb 8: 4.32 miles = 73.41 miles total = Leave Crickhollow soon after 6:00 a.m. Foggy. Ride ponies slowly.

I did pretty good today. I jogged for 40 minutes, walked 5 minutes, then jogged another 5 minutes, with warm up/cool downs on either end. Throughout I did bursts of 2 minutes at a higher speed than I'm used to and didn't find it at all bad. I think I'm starting to get quicker at this. :smile:

Great job, Plex! It's encouraging to know that our time can get better! :)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Feb 10: 4.11 miles = 77.52 miles = The Bonfire Glade - clear path beyond. Sunny, but not yet in clearing
  • Ms_Pixie
    Options
    2km over the wknd & 4km today so YTD is now about 42kms or just over 26 miles

**the road is still rolling up and down... 2 more miles to go!

I ran continuously for over 3km today without resting! that's the furthest & longest I've run yet (26 mins) and it sounds super corny but I'm so so proud of myself for getting this far!!
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options
    Morning everyone!

2/7 3.39
    2/9 4.41

Brings me to 75.56 total

Enter tunnel under Hedge to reach The Old Forest. Path disappears (ca. 7:15 a.m.).
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Did my longest non-walking run to date yesterday. 8 miles straight. Sometime i impress myself :tongue:

Reach dike and hedge. Former boundary of Cardolan, part of the North Kingdom of Arnor.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Options
    Hello all. Did my longest non-walking run to date yesterday. 8 miles straight. Sometime i impress myself :tongue:

Reach dike and hedge. Former boundary of Cardolan, part of the North Kingdom of Arnor.
    Oh my goodness!!!!! that's great, well done! how long have you been running for?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    PixieO, that's marvelous! You should be proud. 3K is nothing to sneeze at. .....oh, that rolling road. :smile: It goes on and on.......

xtrout, wow!!! 8 miles! You're doing great! That is an impressive distance.

I'm still struggling to run 5K on a consistent basis. One day I can do it, the next day or two I can't. I think that maybe the jump from 33 minutes (C25K-W9) to 50 minutes (my 5K time :yawn: ) is too much. So, I'm going back to a 35 minute jog and adding 5 minutes a week. I'm also adding inclines and short & fast sprints (at 0 incline) to help me gain strength and endurance. Hope that works.
    I'm slowly starting to speed up. My last 5K jog was done in 48:35 minutes. Not fast but somewhat faster (so there is hope for my improvement).
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness!!!!! that's great, well done! how long have you been running for?

I started C25K in September 2012 so 4-5 months now. I would never have imagined I could have done this when I started.
  • skinnygeekwithin
    Options

Great job!!!!!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Feb 12: 4.36 miles = 81.88 miles total = On path in the Forest. Path climbs gently.