Weight Loss Surgery - Daily Conversation 2013

Options
123457»

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm having my RNY gastric bypass surgery on the 24th. What kind of clear fluids would you guys recommend? I HATE soup.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't care for soup either, or any hot liquid for that matter. The colder the better. I drink a lot of Powerade Zero. After surgery, sugar free popsicles are great to help get your daily fluid in, which can be a problem for a little while. Be very careful of dehydration. Too many people get dehydrated, and it is avoidable.

Sugar free jello is good too. Some programs want you to avoid some colors of the powerade, jello, and popsicles, mostly the red. Check with your doc, but those are things that worked best for me.
  • silverbelle69
    silverbelle69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Most definitely Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie or Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade......(this is once you move from clear to full liquids)

Good luck!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I love the Syntrax Roadside Lemonade! It's a great change from the usual vanilla and chocolate type of powders. Try the Syntrax Fruit Punch too, it's great.
  • cclark665
    cclark665 Posts: 5
    Options
    wow you hit the nail on the head for me. I love the way you said it iron clad bottomless pouch... I do sometimes feel uncomfortable but it seems like minutes later I can put more food into me... I don't understand it. I wish my hunger was less but I think I have a hungry head and not real need for food.

Thanks for being so open about your struggles It has realy helped me.
  • lindaseverin
    lindaseverin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new on here and was happy to find this group. I had my surgery on July 15, 2013 and doing ok. I do find it hard to get in all my protein in the day. I know it will be easier once I can eat more variety of foods, but any suggestions you have is welcome.

I have lost a total of 60 pounds since starting, but only about 10 since surgery. I know weight loss is slow at the beginning so I don't want to get discouraged, but I read some people losing 30 or 40 pounds in the first few weeks and wonder am I doing something wrong. Any advice from someone to help with the weight loss would be great!
  • Sarah_Likes_Cookies
    Options
    I have an appointment with the dietitian Thursday. What are some questions I should ask her? It's only my technically first appointment. Any input would be nice!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am new on here and was happy to find this group. I had my surgery on July 15, 2013 and doing ok. I do find it hard to get in all my protein in the day. I know it will be easier once I can eat more variety of foods, but any suggestions you have is welcome.

I have lost a total of 60 pounds since starting, but only about 10 since surgery. I know weight loss is slow at the beginning so I don't want to get discouraged, but I read some people losing 30 or 40 pounds in the first few weeks and wonder am I doing something wrong. Any advice from someone to help with the weight loss would be great!

If your surgery was mid July, you should be able to eat most solid foods by now. Hope you are enjoying a good variety of lean proteins and non starchy vegetables. Getting in a little fruit is great too. I was told to always eat my protein first, then my veggies and if there was still room, a bite or two of my starchy food.
    Weight loss goes differently for everyone who has had surgery and should be fairly consistent, but there will be times that the scale doesn't move, but you will see inches lost. Make sure you take measurements! It's a great idea to take pictures regularly too. You'll be surprised at the changes.
    Remember to eat small bites, chew well and look for your personal signs of fullness. Hope you are doing well.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment with the dietitian Thursday. What are some questions I should ask her? It's only my technically first appointment. Any input would be nice!

Not sure how every dietitian is concerning bariatric surgery, but mine did a series of six classes and gave handouts with each class. It's important to learn as much as you can about what to expect before and after surgery and know what you will be eating at each stage and how the actual surgery works, etc. Make sure your dietitian works with your surgeon and specializes in weight loss surgery.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    new to this group. been on this site even before my surgery. will be checking it out alot i think. had sleeve surgrery oct 17, 2012
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    AT LESS THAN 90 DAYS FROM THE FIVE YEAR MARK FOR MY RNY I FINALLY UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY STRUGGLE WITH REGAIN AFTER SO MUCH SUCCESS. ITS NOT JUST A MATTER OF BEING UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO CHANGE LONG TERM. A PART OF IT IS BECOMING BORED WITH THE GAME.

LIFESTYLE CHANGE SOUNDS GREAT BUT IN REALITY IT IS EUPHEMISM FOR DIETING FOR LIFE. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN WE JUST WANT TO DO WHAT WE'D LIKE WHICH OF COURSE LEADS US BACK TOWARDS OBESITY. WE MAY BREAK FORM FOR ONE ITEM, A MEAL, A DAY, OR A VACATION/ HOLIDAY PERIOD. EACH TIME IT IS SUBSEQUENTLY EASIER ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE IN THE "NORMAL" RANGE. STILL, WE KNOW "NORMAL " WONT LAST IF WE KEEP BREAKING FORM YET THE MORE WE STEP OUT OF LINE THE EASIER IT BECOMES.

HAVING BEEN SCHOOLED BY SOME OF THE BEST SUCCESSES I FIGHT BACK WITH A FEW PERSONAL RULES. AMONG THESE ARE:
    - NEVER BUY A LARGER SIZE. i KNOW MY SIZE FOR EACH BRAND AND REFUSE TO SIZE UP.
    - DON'T LET VANITY SIZING FOOL YOU. KEEP SOMETHING IN YOUR SIZE AT YOUR LOWEST WEIGHT AND TRY IT ON REGULARLY. TIGHT OR WON'T FIT? YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. MEASURE GARMENTS SO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE BUYING THE SAME SIZE CUT GENEROUSLY FOR YOUR EXPANSION.
    - WEIGH AND MEASURE EVERYTHING CONSUMED. WE LEARN TO EYEBALL PORTIONS AND MAY BECOME FAIRLY ACCURATE. HOWEVER, WHEN WE ARE OFF OF OUR GAME WE MAY ALLOW OUR EYES TO DECEIVE US.
    - USE MULTIPLE OBJECTIVE MEASURES OF SUCCESS. WEIGH YOURSELF, MEASURE YOURSELF, USE A BODY FAT CALCULATOR LIKE THE ONES DEVELOPED BY THE MILITARY OR THE YMCA . CALCULATORS ARE ALL OVER ONLINE OR YOU CAN DUMP THE FORMULA IN A SPREADSHEET.
    - PLAN FOR OCCASIONS THAT WILL BLOW YOUR FOOD/ EXERCISE PLAN. PREPAREDNESS WILL KEEP YOUR MONTH ON TRACK EVEN IF YOU ARE OFF A DAY OR A FULL WEEK. IF YOU FAILED TO PLAN MAKE UP FOR MISDEEDS RIGHT AWAY.

REGAIN/ BOUNCE BACK WEIGHT IS NOT INEVITABLE. WE HAVE TO TREAT THE SUBJECT AS WE TREATED OUR INITIAL WEIGHT LOSS. EXCESS BODY FAT IS UNACCEPTABLE AND WE WILL LOOSE AND MAINTAIN. SOME LOOSE IN SIX MONTHS, OTHERS TAKE OVER A YEAR, ONE ONLINE FRIEND TOOK SEVEN YEARS AND TWO SURGERIES. IF WE ARE COMMITTED WE KEEP COMING BACK TO OUR PROGRAMS. WE ADJUST AND TWEAK. WE MAY SCRAP ALL AND FIND A PLAN THAT WORKS BETTER FOR OUR PERSONAL NEEDS. WHAT WE DO NOT DO IS STOP TRYING.
  • Great post! I had my DS 08/12/2002 I did awesome for years, but then suddenly after I turned 40 last December 27th it all went to crap. I honestly did eat crap I shouldn't have and I had before- but now it freaking stuck! OMG I gained back 50 of the 185 pounds I lost. OH HELL NO! I started back on my low carb, high protein and good fats plan. This is my first post on t his board LOL but it is nice to meet you! Hoping treating my tool correctly will help make the weight come off a little quicker :-)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this group. Had the gastric sleeve 2+ years ago. Weight loss is real slow now and very frustrating. Been bouncing between 234 (my lowest so far) and 240 for a month now. Today was a day where I hate the scale and just want to say forget the diet, the exercise, the job, life in general and run away from it all. Of course I'm sitting here at work, I've planned and logged my food for the day and after dinner will have exceeded my protein goal and will be 100 calories below goal and am babysitting for grandkids tonight rather than running away. Some days it's just so frickin hard to be motivated. :grumble:
  • terigirl77
    Options
    I'm sad to see that no one has posted since November 2013. I'm new on here. I'm in the early stages of RNY surgery. I have Kaiser insurance so they make you jump through many hoops prior to the actual surgery. I had my appointment on Monday with the surgeon and he credited me for 8.5 lbs lost since the end of January. My pre-op weight loss was set to 18 more lbs. I started at 340. As of last night, I am at 328. Once I lose the weight (now 15 more lbs), I will be scheduled for the surgery. I am looking for support groups because I want to be successful in this journey. I have many friends and acquantences who have had weight loss surgery and most have been successful, so I am fortunate to have some people around for support. The hardest part for me will be the diet. Obviously, I didn't get to 340 lbs by eating right and staying active.

Anyway, if anyone needs or wants support or can offer their support, please friend me. Thanks :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Welcome Terri! MFP is very good and I encourage you to make sure you attend as many support groups as you can before and even after surgery. Stay connected for help as your new life evolves. Congrats on your decision to have WLS too!! It is the best gift you can give to yourself and will serve you well for the rest of your life!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    New link posted for 2014 conversation thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248940-weight-loss-surgery-daily-conversation-2014

Sorry for delay. New member Sara is looking for daily conversation.
This discussion has been closed.