Summer Weight Loss Challenge

Options

Replies

• kyoung1908
    kyoung1908 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Any tips on what to do if your body retains water??
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,268 Member
    Options

Not an expert but I've read. surprisingly enough, drink more water. Our bodies have a tendency to retain water if we're not giving it enough. Also, watch the sodium...it's one of our worse enemies.
  • priesterse
    priesterse Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Not an expert but I've read. surprisingly enough, drink more water. Our bodies have a tendency to retain water if we're not giving it enough. Also, watch the sodium...it's one of our worse enemies.

I agree. I retain water due to hypertension, so I also take a prescribed water pill. But on days when I skip the pill and drink 10 cups of water or more, I notice I have no issues with fluid retention. Salt/sodium is also a major culprit. Watch out for processed foods.
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options

And put some lemon in that water. It does the trick every time.
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Rochie81, I think we're twins. :laugh:

Kar1959 mentioned that she's going to change her weigh in day to Monday to keep her accountable through the weekend. I think I'm going to adopt that, you may find it helpful. Weekends are terrible for me. During the week I eat all of my meals, but on weekends, I skip meals like crazy, and then over eat later in the day. Not good.

We'll have to be there for one another!

Monday morning weigh-ins really do work well for me also. It does keep you accountable on the weekend because you know you want that scale to agree with your goals on that day. So it makes me conscious of what I eat on a Saturday and Sunday. I know that things like pasta, retain water, so I skip that both days. I acutally try to do as little carbs as possible on Saturday or Sunday. I'm also finding that foods or sauces high in sodium retain water as well. Last Sunday I had a dinner meal of chicken parmesan (no breading on the chicken), green beans, and salad. But I still felt bloated that Monday morning when I awoke. I still saw results on the scale, but I knew it would have been a slightly bigger loss if I wasn't bloated. So these are some things to keep in mind when facing the scale.

Happy Losing!
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I agree. I retain water due to hypertension, so I also take a prescribed water pill. But on days when I skip the pill and drink 10 cups of water or more, I notice I have no issues with fluid retention. Salt/sodium is also a major culprit. Watch out for processed foods.
    I did not know that hypertension can cause water retention and I have reslly high blood pressure that is medicated, you'd think the doctor would tell me that lol.
    I'm going to get some pills that help with this and definitely work on increasing my water intake.
    Thanks.
  • KAR1959
    Options

I did not know that hypertension can cause water retention and I have reslly high blood pressure that is medicated, you'd think the doctor would tell me that lol.
    I'm going to get some pills that help with this and definitely work on increasing my water intake.
    Thanks.
    Yes hypertension can cause water retention. I'm on a prescribed water pill. It's a small dosage...25 mg...but believe me it helps. If I run out by day two I feel the bloat.
  • kyoung1908
    kyoung1908 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Thanks.
    Yes hypertension can cause water retention. I'm on a prescribed water pill. It's a small dosage...25 mg...but believe me it helps. If I run out by day two I feel the bloat.

I'm also at risk for hypertension. The doctor wants me to change my eating habits and work out before she decides to put me on any medication. She told me proper diet will prevent me from having to take medicine. Has anyone else beat high blood pressure by changing what you eat?
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Reporting in to say I met my February goal for weight loss. I am motivated and encouraged by all the wonderful folks on this topic. I agree with the drinking more water to rid water weight - when I slack on the intake I don't make the cut at weigh in. I have a mental picture all the fat cells washing away :D Thanks to you all for the inspiration!

SW: 267
    CW: 249
    GW1: 240 (my 10% loss by my birthday 3/31)
    GW2: 215 on June 15 (going to scout camp in a smaller size!)
  • klb1002
    klb1002 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I know a few of you are using heart rate monitors (HRM) to calculate your calories, so are there any that you would recommend?

Thanks.
  • MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I want in on this challenge. It seems like I've been on a weight roller coaster, you know the ups, downs, and lets not for get the round and rounds. If I don't get out the 200's this year I feel like it will never happen. I go to the gym at least three times a week and yet I have somehow managed to gain 14 pounds. Last month I gave up fast food and this month will be sweets hopefully it shows a difference.

Sw: 256
    Cw: 236
    Gw1: 226
    Gw2: 190 by June good bye 200's

Nsv goals:

Lose two pants sizes
    Be able to run on and off the treadmill for longer than ten minutes
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

Today I begin my biggest challenge to not weigh everyday only every 2nd Sunday and to lose at least 10lbs in March. I feel optimistic that I can pull this off as I will be taking the pressure off exercise which will be optional and focusing more on my nutrition and sticking to a ketogenic lifestyle.

1st March - 218.6 lbs
    17th March
    31st March

Have you set an extra challenge for March? :-)
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Good morning,

After a very rough February, I'm refocused for March. February ended for me with a 2lb gain...which was not bad considering I was up 5lbs at one point. So since I've had a hard time I'm going to be conservative, but I am setting a goal for March of 5lbs. I'm also setting a walking goal of 40 miles. Thank you SereneRose, I think a specific goal for March and challenging myself will get me going in the right direction.

SW: 219

March 4 -
    March 11 -
    March 18 -
    March 25 -
    March 31 -

Good luck everyone...we can do this!
  • Yana150
    Options
    Awesome job, Mamagirl! You are on your way!
  • Yana150
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I know a few of you are using heart rate monitors (HRM) to calculate your calories, so are there any that you would recommend?

Thanks.

I love mine. It's the Mio Drive Petite.
  • Yana150
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I want in on this challenge. It seems like I've been on a weight roller coaster, you know the ups, downs, and lets not for get the round and rounds. If I don't get out the 200's this year I feel like it will never happen. I go to the gym at least three times a week and yet I have somehow managed to gain 14 pounds. Last month I gave up fast food and this month will be sweets hopefully it shows a difference.

Sw: 256
    Cw: 236
    Gw1: 226
    Gw2: 190 by June good bye 200's

Nsv goals:

Lose two pants sizes
    Be able to run on and off the treadmill for longer than ten minutes
    Welcome to the Challenge, MsTae84! I'm wishing you great health and a successful weight loss journey! You've come to the right group for encouragement and support! :)
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I'm also at risk for hypertension. The doctor wants me to change my eating habits and work out before she decides to put me on any medication. She told me proper diet will prevent me from having to take medicine. Has anyone else beat high blood pressure by changing what you eat?
    [
    Your MD is absolutely correct Obesity, diet , stress , other underlying medical conditions and genetics are predisposing factors for becoming hypertensive.You can monitor your sodium intake by reading foods labels1). Cut out fast foods. You'll be surprised at the amt of sodium that is in those foods.Also watch your salty/savory snacks.. Try to keep your sodium below 1500 gms/day.High sodium causes the body to retain water. 2) Daily exercise 3) Decrease stress. Listen to your doctor! girlfriend.
  • Slusher82
    Slusher82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would love to join I never knew my fitness pal has a great support system
  • priesterse
    priesterse Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks.

I use the Polar FT4 which is a basic monitor that is easy to use. Polar also has other models with more advanced features
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I would love to join I never knew my fitness pal has a great support system
    [/q

Welcome to this amazing group. We are a very supporting group. Hope that this week was great for you.