Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    How do you get it to mix up properly?

To me the coconut oil and butter just float on top like a oil slick.
    Get an aero latte for making froth in your coffee .... It mixes the BPC together really well
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Get an aero latte for making froth in your coffee .... It mixes the BPC together really well

Both Amazon and Bed, Bath and Beyond carry the Aerolatte. We have one at home, and both the husband and I also have a "travel Aerolatte" at work. The only difference is that the travel Aerolatte has a case.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I have a metal flask that holds around 20 oz and I just shake up mix in it and it's good to go.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I just tried bulletproof coffee for the first time today. I had seen mention of it on mfp and googled what it was. Sounded weird and yucky but I thought I'd try it. In the creator's blog he said you could start with lower amounts of the butter and coconut oil to get used to it. So I had dark roast coffee (Keurig), about 2/3 T organic butter (will have to look for grassfed), 1T organic virgin coconut oil, 1 square of 70% dark chocolate and splenda.

I pre-warmed the blender as Asprey suggested and blended it and YUM!!!! it was good. Surprise.

I should have used more coffee but I made a smaller cup because I wanted it to be stronger and now I'd like some more. I think I'll go get a different coffee maker and I'll look for grassfed butter and get some cocoa powder instead of using the baking chocolate.

Now to see how long it holds me - might not be as long because it was less coffee and half the recommended amounts of butter and coconut oil.

It's funny because even though I did very well on Atkins years ago, I've read Grain Brain and Wheat Belly and intellectually I buy into the value of fat and the dangers of carbs, I still find myself getting nervous about eating fat. I start to think of my body as already being all damaged by bad eating all these years (I'm 63) and being too damaged for the fat to be useful. Not true I know intellectually but it's hard to get past the propaganda and myth of low-fat being healthier. And I've read all the studies about the value of fat in treating brain disorders like Alzheimers. I still get this niggling fear that if I have too much fat I'll drop dead of a heart attack. Stupid!

The other interesting note I'd like to make is that in all low carb threads - where everyone is living proof of the value of low carb and, often, high fat, you still get people popping in the badmouth it and try to tell people they need to eat more egg whites and more whole grains. Why???? LOL
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    Bump
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's funny because even though I did very well on Atkins years ago, I've read Grain Brain and Wheat Belly and intellectually I buy into the value of fat and the dangers of carbs, I still find myself getting nervous about eating fat.
    I have the same problem and I love how I feel eating LCHF.
    It is a mindset that has been ingrained (for me) for over 3 decades. Its not easy to retrain the brain, but I'm trying! :smile:
  • sal82
    sal82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Any Aussies do BPC? I bought butter today but I have no idea if I can get grass fed butter in Australia?
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for answering, alexisjfrank, gabybaby916 and sal82. I thought I had killed this thread. I'm good at that - I'm a thread murderer.

I've had BP coffee for three days now and love the taste - of course I'm adding chocolate so what's not to love? I may be not putting enough butter and coconut oil in because my satiety has not lasted as long as expected. I also can't find grass fed butter yet but will keep looking.

Also I need to find some organic cocoa so I can replace the bakers 70% chocolate. That would eliminate 4 carbs. Not a lot for most peopel but when you are trying to be very low carb it makes a difference. Although I am in ketosis now so it's still working.
  • sal82
    sal82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me in grams how much butter and coconut oil they use? Anyone ever weighed it?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tbsp coconut oil. I think that's 14 g. Roughly 1.5 tbsp butter. I'm guessing that's the same as coconut oil, so that would be about 21 g butter.

Here's what I do.

Melt 8 oz butter and 10 tbsp coconut oil (140 g) in microwave.
    Thoroughly whisk in 1/2 cup cocoa powder and vanilla extract (1 tbsp).
    Evenly distribute into 10 portions. I use portion cups (search for "Jell-O shot cups"). Others use ice cube trays. Then just add one of these fat packs to your cup of coffee in the morning.
  • EchoDivine
    EchoDivine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there much of a difference regarding weight loss between drinking the 300cals of bulletproof coffee vs. having 300cals worth of breakfast food + coffee?
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    Re: weight loss difference, I'm going to say scientifically: no, anecdotally: maybe, probably due to the fact that you're not putting weight (food) into you. I think BPC is useful as a weight loss aid because it keeps some people sated longer than solid food does and it's more convenient. If you believe in the metabolic-boosting effects of coconut oil, it may give a very slight edge to fat-burning. Personally, I get hungry very quickly when eating low-carb (I know, weird) but coffee/tea of any type with cream keeps me "fuller" longer.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    When I first started Keto I made BPC and loved it, but had a mental block about not eating food for breakfast. Finally this week I decided to do only BPC. Wow it's fantastic, both physically and mentally I've never felt better. I'm usually the kind that is starving 2hrs after a traditional big breakfast. Not anymore, I get up around 8, drink my BPC and can go till about 1pm before getting hungry. Even with heavy lifting I'm not feeling fatigued at all. I use my Nutribullet to blend it up and it comes out like a frothy latte...yum!
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just had my first bulletproof coffee this morning. 16oz. I loved the taste, but it was hard to drink that much, this early in the morning (5:30a). Driving to work I felt overly full and slightly nauseous, like I 'ate' too much. But oddly, I feel some hunger pains too. I'm going to start drinking my water to see how I feel.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but doesn't the coconut/butter, separate out and float on top?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but doesn't the coconut/butter, separate out and float on top?

If you blend it in a blender or with a handheld, no, it should be more like a milkshake or latte. If you do what I do, and just melt the coconut oil and butter in the coffee and stir, yes, you will see lots of drops of oil floating around. :) Either way tastes good, but when I have time I blend it for the frothy top that creates. Try it and see!
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

If you blend it in a blender or with a handheld, no, it should be more like a milkshake or latte. If you do what I do, and just melt the coconut oil and butter in the coffee and stir, yes, you will see lots of drops of oil floating around. :) Either way tastes good, but when I have time I blend it for the frothy top that creates. Try it and see!

I have mine EARLY in the morning, so no blender for me :) If you melt the butter, coconut oil, and cocoa powder in the microwave and stir it in to hot coffee, it works pretty good... if you leave it sitting it'll separate a little, but (and don't judge me :)) I drink the "thicker" part off the top and add more coffee... I'm just a little over the top when it comes to coffee :)
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    And you don't eat breakfast? In afraid I'll get hungry at work and eat something bad. I guess I could bring a low carb snack...just in case. Sorry, just a little skeptical. As far as taste-it sounds great! Like a Mounds bar! Do you put the cocoa in the basket of the coffee maker or straight in the coffee? And if in the coffee, does it mix okay? I'm working on trying it.

I use 1 tbls of coconut oil, 1/4 c heavy cream, low carb mocha mix (I use equal parts dark cocoa and splenda with a dash of salt) and 16 oz of coffee. Use a blender or immersion blender to mix it. The coconut oil will float on top otherwise. This is 340 calories. I use it as breakfast also and love love love it. My days always start with my BPC and it does sustain my energy levels as well as feeling satisfied, full and happy. Nectar of the gods as far as I am concerned. :happy:
  • ea101367
    Options
    Ahhhhhhhh........ Ok. Guess I'll give it a go tomorrow for breakfast!
  • ea101367
    Options
    So I tried using my handheld blender with the froth attachment and.....................I ended up wearing my coffee to work. :cry:
    So the blender it will be, WITH a cover!! LOL :drinker: