Bulletproof Coffee

Replies

• Had a go this morning. Found just plonking the butter coconut oil and cocoa in a small bowl and microwaving for a minute doesn't take much stirring to make a chocolatey goop that just mixed into the filter coffee no problem at all.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Well, I tried it today. Changed it a bit as butter in coffee sounds more wierd than coconut oil. ha. I already bought the low-fat kerrygold cuz it was all I could find, so I will use until I get the other. I used 1 tbs of the butter, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs heavy cream and a touch of stevia. I warmed the butter/coconut oil/cream and whipped with a wisk. I then whipped in the coffee. It blended pretty well and tasted okay (like my old coffees before I switched to black only).

I decided that wasn't enough fat or calories so I made a second cup without the butter.

I think I overdid it. I felt plenty of energy (which I desperately needed!!!) but I also felt nauseous. I felt full until lunch and the nauseous feeling lasted until lunch.

guess I should have not done Cup #2. I will try again tomorrow and stick with one cup. I think I will add a little protein powder because not having protein for breakfast sounds out of whack to me. Course, I am just starting to understand the whole "YOU NEED to eat fat" theory after years of being pounded by NO Fat or LOW fat propaganda.

I didn't use cocoa, but put a little cinnamon in that second cup....yum.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    The heavy cream is not in the original recipe, just putting that out there, I am loving the good quality coffee, MCT and butter combo, I had it this morning at 7am and was fine until around 2pm!!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    I haven't gotten the organic coffee and I don't think it matters much. The energy and satiety comes from the fat. I do 2 tbsp nutiva organic coconut oil, 1 tbsp kerrygold unsalted butter, 1 tbsp heavy cream. I started adding a splash of torani sugar free vanilla syrup. I whip it up with my Aerolatte and the results puts Starbucks to shame.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Yesterday, I went and bought a membership to Costco. My old one at the "other place" was expiring and I thought I would try something new even though it is a bit farther drive.

I found the coconut oil mentioned in an earlier post. I also found the Kerrygold butter although I didn't see anything that said low fat. I already had the whipping cream.

I used my blender since I don't have the tool others mentioned. I warmed everything a little bit, put it in the blender, then heated up in the microwave and it's wonderful.

The butter definitely makes this coffee what it is. As a side note, I thought it was cute and ironic that the Kerrygold pure Irish butter is made in Illinois =)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I haven't gotten the organic coffee and I don't think it matters much.

It's not about organic or non-organic. The original Bulletproof Coffee recipe emphasized the importance of Mycotoxin-free coffee. mycotoxins are a naturally occurring toxin that can occur in the production of coffee (and many other foods). The premise is at if you use Mytotoxins-free coffee, you will see improved health and energy.

http://www.upgradedself.com/upgraded-coffees/bulletproof-upgraded-coffee-12oz.html
    http://www.coffee-ota.org/mycotoxins_what.asp

I see a lot of data that supports that mycotoxins should be avoided and that they are common in coffee. They absolutely can lead to health issues. I don't see a lot of firm info though, on how to ensure your coffee is mycotoxin free. Mytotoxins aren't really currently tested for in products. Does your coffee have them? Probably. Maybe. Who knows.

So, bottom line. I don't think ANY grocery store coffee is going to be better than another. I don't think organic matters. I think if you find one that advertises itself as being Mytotoxin-free, it might be worth trying. But, you will also likely spend a lot of extra money for that pleasure.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Why are people putting cream in the bulletproof coffee???

Butter is used because it has "All the benefits of healthy milk fat with none of the damaging denatured casein proteins found in cream"
    So it seems to me that some of you are negating the benefits of the coffee.
    Please go and have a read of the article
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    What is the difference between the kerrygold butter and other butters purchased at Costco.... i have been using real butter... should I make the switch?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    What is the difference between the kerrygold butter and other butters purchased at Costco.... i have been using real butter... should I make the switch?

You want to look for dairy from grass-fed cows, also known as pastured cows. Kerrygold is one of those. There are others out there, but I think Kerrygold is the best known. Dairy from grass-fed cows have higher levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Also contains something called CLA, which has benefits in fighting cancer.

Article here: http://www.eatwild.com/articles/superhealthy.html
  • Scubanana7
    well Day 3 on the BPC. I am headed to the gym to workout with a new trainer. I am a little nervous about a heavy workout without solid food for breakfast. Anyone tried this before a big workout. I don't wanna fizz out.

However, it makes me full and almost 'HIGH". I am a child of the 60's and this drink brings back memories! :flowerforyou:
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Hey there,

Just heard about this from a person on my friends list and I want to try this.

Can anyone give me the recipe and when you drink this and how it works please ? Also how often,
    Thanks
  • Calif_Girl67
    Forgot to ask does it have to be ground coffee from beans or can it already be ground coffee and does it have to be non flavored coffee ? Thanks
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Just look at the very first post, page 1 for the recipe!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member

Butter is used because it has "All the benefits of healthy milk fat with none of the damaging denatured casein proteins found in cream"
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I like cream in my coffee
  • Scubanana7
    Update...I did great at the gym with BPC only as my breakfast! That was at 9:30am. I didn't get to eat anything until 2pm and I was okay. I was getting pretty hungry...but I made it just fine! woohoo. I am ADDICTED!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Ok I bought everything except i can't find the type of butter and not going to drive 45 miles to get it so unsalted real butter will have to due for now.

I also bought regular ground coffee, does any of this make a difference ? I have everything else required.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member

I read the article.. then I went out and did research. Butter is 1% protein where the HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM (not creamers) is 3% protein. The protein levels increase as different products are made from whole milk. Also the lactose intolerance factor goes up. HWC is very very low in denatured casein proteins to all other milk products other than butter.

But to each their own. I just like the consistency of it with the cream in than without it. :drinker:
  • Calif_Girl67
    Ok well i bought everything at the store yesterday but had to use regular Unsalted Real Butter because the grass fed is not in any stores close to where I live and I used regular ground coffee. I did not use a blender, I just microwaved in my coffee cup until melted and very hot and then added everything else and wisked it, it tasted ok except that it had an oily consistency from the coconut oil at the top of the coffee. I will try using the blender and see if that makes a difference.

I drank the coffee instead of eating and i must say that it didn't make me full, I am famished lol so how many hours after drinking it can i eat or does that matter ?

I made a recipe for this and added to my food diary so it would be there for me.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    BUMP
    Anybody ever done this before? It's my first morning and so far, so good.

Bulletproof coffee

12 oz very high quality organic coffee ... make sure the beans are mold free
    2 tbsp grass fed, unsalted butter
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa

It's about 340 calories .... supposed to last me until lunch time without needing to snack and significantly improve energy and alertness levels. I worked out this morning at 6 AM (30 minutes cardio), had a bulletproof coffee at 7 AM. It's now 8:45 AM and I'm comfortable, good energy levels, alert, etc.

From a flavor perspective, it wasn't bad at all. Was like an unsweetened mocha, basically. I think I'm going to find a darker roast coffee.

The original source is The Bulletproof Executive

• Calif_Girl67
    Ok so with trying my 1st cup of Bullet proof coffee i did hae some nasea in my stomach, is that normal ? It also
    made me use the restroom, (sorry TMI) kind of like a laxative, is that normal too ? Just curious so I know how i am suppose to feel after wards.
    Thanks