Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've been doing bulletproof coffee each morning for the past few weeks and am hopelessly addicted! I have mine with kerrygold butter, coconut oil, sometimes a spoonful of unsweetened organic cocoa, and always cinnamon. I put the cinnamon in the french press with the coffee grounds as I find that works better. I've tried using a splash of coconut milk, and that's also quite nice, but I don't usually bother. Blending with either an immersion blender or your countertop blender is the real trick to making this wonderful concoction!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Alright, this will be an interesting experiment. I am flying from Seattle to Boston today. Got up and worked out at 5:30 like normal, showered, had my bulletproof coffee about 6:45 AM .... Flight took at 9:10 AM Pacific Time and lands at 2:30 PM Pacific Time. They don't really serve anything on the flight that I can eat, so hopefully the coffee is going to last me all the way until I get off the plane and can get a snack of some sort. I do have some beef jerky with me "just in case" ... but trying not to touch it since I keep that in the hotel for late night snacks.

Since we are landing at 5:30 PM Eastern, by the time I get to my hotel, checked in, etc. it will be 7'ish and I will eat dinner. This should be a very interesting day. I upped the coconut oil in my coffee to get more fat and last longer for the day. Will let you guys know how it goes.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm also guessing decaf would not have the same effect! I have heart issues that prevent me from having caffiene. I drink decaf all day.

I wonder if you realize how much caffiene decaf coffee has? Even decaf has between 10 and 20 percent the caffiene of 'regular' coffee. You may be having a ton of caffiene if you are drinking it all day.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    4 days on the bulletproof coffee and I am 1.5 lbs down. Still tons of energy and hunger does not kick in until late afternoon. I think I found something that works for me!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Does the energy last throughout the afternoon? I am so tired by 2 or 3 that I really could take a nap. I do notice when my carb intake is higher, the tiredness is worse.

I am heading to Whole Foods today to get the goods for this and the fat bomb.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of BPC and down 1.6#. I've found that when I get hungry mid afternoon, I'm also a little tired. I'll add another cup of coffee; depending on what I have left for calories, I may have another BPC, or some other variation.

On a separate note, I tried it with cinnamon today....mmmmmmm!
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and to MFP so forgive me if this is a totally dumb question!

I HATE coffee - would this work with anything else?

Thanks
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Down 2.2# now on day 7 of Bulletproof Coffee! I'm a convert!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would love to try this, my only issue (lol) is I HATE coffee. How strong coffee taste is this?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you'd have to use coffee. I think the whole point of the coffee in the recipe is to benefit from the caffeine. Use black tea, perhaps?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Tried it this morning. DELICIOUS. Problem. It kept leaking outside of my blender. I have a GNC blender that makes single servings. It was all OVER THE PLACE. Hoping that drinking will leave me satisfied. Already done with breakfast! LOL!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go with tea & see how I get on. Cheers
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think we have had some people post that they do it with tea. Try that and let us know!

Hot liquid in a blender can be dangerous!! I was melting everything and then wisking into the coffee. I finally got my Aerolatte foamer and used it this morning. It was great. Very smooth and creamy with some foam on top. Loving this. I am addicted!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    gotta get one!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It went EVERYWHERE in a 3 foot radius when we used the blender - like something from a bad sitcom.
    The Aerolatte is awesome. It takes about 20 seconds and it mixes and makes it foamy. Amazon has it for $20, or $30 with a little stand.
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LemonMint6
    Options

Anybody figure out how to get bulletproof coffee while traveling?

I'm new so this is somewhat out of the blue. But I do have a suggestion for you. You could melt the butter and coconut oil together and mix in you cocoa powder and then let it "set" in the fridge. I sometimes make "fudge" this way with coconut oil and protein powder. Wrap it up in single servings, and make sure it doesn't get warmer than room temp, (pry put it in a sealed container just in case) and then melt it in your coffee when you travel. Just a thought! :)
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    sounds like this is your ticket!

I enjoy bulletproof coffe, I call it "Supergirl coffee" I make mine with decaf though wink , heavy cream and coconut oil....and yes I need a little sweetener......being a girl....'cause we are sweet!

Thanks for posting your process with this. bullet proof coffee is a terrific energy source (even decaf!)

Yes, this is a huge plus for me. "Supergirl coffee" ... yes, totally agree ... I have so much more energy through the morning with this ... weight loss is going again, too. Changed my morning workout as of today from either running or Army Daily Dozen calisthenics to Tony Horton's Power 90 .... that's a darn good workout .... and still the Bulletproof coffee and grapefruit is just the ticket.

I'll keep posting about it if I notice other things worth saying.

Great post. Do you take your bulletproof coffee before exercising? I do 5-6 mile runs and usually just have water and coffee with coconut creamer (SO) before I run. I worry about GI issues during the run. maybe TMI, but interested in advice.
  • Zaphyre13
    Zaphyre13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is deeee-lish! I've been reading about BPC for awhile now but really? butter in coffee?? Plus I just found
    Kerrygold at Trader Joe's and I have had an Aerolatte on my counter for 10yrs (husband made fun of me
    for spending $30 on it but it has stood the test of time!) It hadn't occurred to me to use it, I thought I would
    have to drag out my blender every morning. Thanks for the tip!

It's only 7:47am so I will see if I can make it to lunch, I have almonds on reserve just in case.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Great post. Do you take your bulletproof coffee before exercising?
    No, I get up and work out first thing. I have a small pre-workout protein snack about 15 minutes before I exercise. This morning I had 2 oz of chicken breast. Other mornings I have an oz of salami or left over steak from dinner. After I work out, I shower and then have my bulletproof coffee.