Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Okay, WOW!!

Just tried my first day on bpc. Couldn't get my hands on the butter, so just went with 1 2/3 tbsp coconut oil in my coffee (217 cal, 0 carb, 0 protein, 23g fat).

I can't believe the effect it had on me! I would say that it was the coffee that did it, but I'm no stranger to coffee, I have a cup every few mornings and it's never had such a profound effect on me before. Perhaps it was coffee with no food to accompany it?

Anyways, I felt kinda super... Like super-hero super! The closest thing I can think of that's similar is an alcohol buzz, minus the altered motor skills.

Here's the cool part though, I eat breakfast and then go snowboarding pretty much everyday. I don't get to eat again til I get home, about 6 hours later. In that time I generally burn around 800-1200 cals, according to my polar ft4 HRM. Today, I had my BPC and went riding and it kept me totally satisfied unil I got home for lunch, 6 hours later! I burned almost 900 cals in that time.

Thought I'd post my experience in case anyone is reluctant to try this before a workout, as I was very hesitant about it, being a HUGE fan of breakfast. Also keep in mind that this is only my first day of the experiment so I cannot speak in terms of sustainability, but I will definitely give this at least a week and if people are still interested, post my results.

Very happy to have read this thread!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to quickly draw an observation from my personal BPC experiment. As I mentioned this morning, I gained 4# after not having BPC this morning. Well after my workout late morning, I weighed myself (I don't know why as I usually do first thing in the morning only). Anyhow, I dropped 3+ pounds in just a few hours, even though I had 2 large cups of coffee and tons of water. All very interesting. Excited to get on the scale again tomorrow.

3-4 lbs per day of weight fluctuation sure sounds extreme. I didn't even think that was possible. Maybe after a huge Thanksgiving dinner or huge BM (sorry if that was too gross). :ohwell:

I wish it weren't true. But it is. And not due to BM (unfortunately). Before I started BPC my weight would fluctuate like crazy. But it's also one of the reasons I weigh myself daily. I am completely fascinated by how my body responds to food, water, exercise, being a girl, etc. It drives some crazy, but I like to look for patterns and course-correct as I needed.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @cominupmilhou - What a great first day you had. Looking forward to hearing how today goes. And the fact that you get to go snowboarding daily - jealous!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So Good...

BP_zps5d9b8cf0.jpeg
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    @cominupmilhou ---- about the butter .... grassfed is what I choose for all butter just because it has no corn in it, with the accompanying anti-biotics, hormones, etc. Plus, only grassfed butter is a natural source of CLA, which is a unique to butter heart healthy Omega-3. That said, organic butter should be just fine for our purposes since it will not have the hormones and anti-biotics that you would find in "regular" butter.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hello,

What brands do you use? Now my store only had Spectrum Expeller Pressed Organic Coconut Oil Refined. Which one should I try? Refined or Unrefined? Expeller or cold pressed? Virgin or not? So many choices. Thanks for your help.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello,

What brands do you use? Now my store only had Spectrum Expeller Pressed Organic Coconut Oil Refined. Which one should I try? Refined or Unrefined? Expeller or cold pressed? Virgin or not? So many choices. Thanks for your help.

Hey, I just finished reading an article in Marks Daily Apple about this. In short, the most important factors are to get Organic, Virgin coconut oil. Here's an exerpt from the article if the details interest you.

"So how is this veritable miracle food manufactured? In brief, coconuts are collected, broken open and then the flesh is allowed to dry. To extract the oil, the dried flesh is then heated at a low temperature until any moisture is evaporated, leaving you with an oil residue. Now, the thing to note here is that in most coconut oil manufacturing processes chemicals are used to expedite drying as well as to speed the heating process. However, if you select an organic coconut oil, no chemicals will have been used during processing and the original coconut itself will have been grown without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Regular coconut oil production, however, often subjects the coconut meat to chemical solvents in order to maximize extraction. If you want to avoid any chemical residues, stick to organic coconut oil. This shouldn’t be difficult, since most coconut oil available in stores seems to be organic.

One other thing to note is that with coconut oils there are many different grades, or values of refinement. According to the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community Standards for virgin coconut oil, coconut oil can only be sold as such when it is “obtained from the fresh and mature kernel of coconut by mechanical or natural means with or without the application of heat, which does not lead to alteration of the oil.”

Refined coconut oil – which is generally what you’ll see in stores – is made from copra, the dried meat of the coconut. However, because the process of drying the coconut is somewhat unsanitary – it includes laying them out in the sun, putting them in a kiln, or smoking them  – the oil is inedible, and is therefore required to undergo a refinement process that includes some combination of using high heat to deodorize the oil, filtering the oil through bleaching clays, adding sodium hydroxide to remove impurities and prolong shelf-life, or performing some kind of hydrogenation or partial-hydrogenation process. In industry terms refined coconut oil is RBD – refined, bleached, deodorized.

The choice is clear – steer clear of the refined stuff and stick with organic virgin coconut oil.

A word of warning about coconut oils labeled as extra virgin. Experts note that there is no other – or more virginal – process of extracting oil from coconuts and the concept of the “extra” is nothing more than a marketing ploy."

Full article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/

Try it out and let us know!

Good luck

(edited to say thanks to the OP for the butter info!)
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Options
    I just had my first cup this morning, and it was delicious. I was out of cocoa powder so I used a few shakes of ground cinnamon. It was reminiscent of cinnamon toast :) Tomorrow morning I will do the same thing but add a square of unsweetened baking 100% chocolate (Ghiradelli)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm trying my first cup right now, and it's delicious!

I used

Coffee
    2 tbsp of coconut oil
    2 tbsp of butter
    1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa
    2 pkts of stevia

it's very very good! Almost takes like melted choclate! Yum! I'll see how i feel this morning without eating any food (which I have NEVER done because of hypoglycemia! I HAVE to eat when I get up)
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, how much difference in taste & satiation is there with the "good stuff" versus inferior ingredients? Only one store in town has unsalted grass fed butter. I've been there twice...first time they closed early, second time they were out of butter....arghh. Imagine my frustration. In my eagerness (and impatience) to try this highly praised drink, I settled for a grain fed organic butter and a refined coconut oil from my local supermarket. Tried a tbsp of each with my french roast this morning and I'm sorry to say that I was not impressed. It was barely okay and definitely not delicious like so many people have described (and I love coffee) and I had to eat some food because I was still hungry. I plan to try it again tomorrow to see if it goes any better. And I'll eventually make it back to that stupid store to get the good stuff, but I'll call ahead next time to make sure they're open and have it in stock!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Well, i'm a little disappointed.. yesterday I drank my BPC atabout 8:30-9AM (got up a 7) and by 11:30 I needed to eat soemthing. I see a lot of people saying they didn't even think about food until 1pm. I know we are all different, but i'm wondering if it's more mental. I've eaten as soon as I've got up my entire life, so maybe i really wasn't as "hungry" as I thought I was.

I tried it again today and so far, I'm feeling pretty good.
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    So, how much difference in taste & satiation is there with the "good stuff" versus inferior ingredients? Only one store in town has unsalted grass fed butter. I've been there twice...first time they closed early, second time they were out of butter....arghh. Imagine my frustration. In my eagerness (and impatience) to try this highly praised drink, I settled for a grain fed organic butter and a refined coconut oil from my local supermarket. Tried a tbsp of each with my french roast this morning and I'm sorry to say that I was not impressed. It was barely okay and definitely not delicious like so many people have described (and I love coffee) and I had to eat some food because I was still hungry. I plan to try it again tomorrow to see if it goes any better. And I'll eventually make it back to that stupid store to get the good stuff, but I'll call ahead next time to make sure they're open and have it in stock!

I would not even try with refined coconut oil. To me there is a big diference in refined and virgin cocount oil. I wouldn't be as picky on the butter, I guess.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    bburg:
    Well, i'm a little disappointed.. yesterday I drank my BPC atabout 8:30-9AM (got up a 7) and by 11:30 I needed to eat soemthing. I see a lot of people saying they didn't even think about food until 1pm. I know we are all different, but i'm wondering if it's more mental. I've eaten as soon as I've got up my entire life, so maybe i really wasn't as "hungry" as I thought I was.
    So, I have basically worked out first thing in the morning and then immediately eaten for my whole adult life. Except the years where I was a slug and gained 45 lbs, but even then I ate first thing in the morning. And, for most of my life, I have eaten a snack of some sort around 10:30 - 11:00 AM and then lunch around 12:30.

Now my regimen is -
    5:30 AM - work out
    6:15 AM - shower
    6:45 AM - breakfast of BPC coffee and Powerade Zero
    8:00 AM - at the office to work

And I don't eat lunch until 12:00 with no snack whatsoever. By 12:00 I know I'm hungry, in general. THe other day, due to a meeting, I didn't eat lunch until 1:15. I was definitely hungry, but not starving and having a headache like I would have been in the past.

I have upped my coconut oil to 2 tbsp and I suspect I will be increasing my butter to 3 tbsp soon, if I continue to up my workout levels like I have been.

My experience, FWIW .... and no, I don't have the "didn't even think about food until 1 PM" experience, but definitely keeps me full and satisfied throughout the morning.

DaddyCrossFit:
    So, how much difference in taste & satiation is there with the "good stuff" versus inferior ingredients?
    I found a fair amount of difference. You can taste the difference between "regular" butter (I used to buy the Costco brand) and Organic Valley pasture fed, cultured, unsalted butter if you just taste them direct side by side. I also noticed that there is a pretty big difference in taste between refined and unrefined coconut oil (I preferred the refined).

I would not describe BPC as delicious. I have been a guy who drinks his coffee black, or with a bit of sugar, his whole life (since I was like 11). So, coffee with stuff in it is a big change for me. I don't dislike it. I don't mind it, really, but it isn't satiating from a taste perspective. I don't take a drink and say "YUM" ... but it tastes okay and I really like the physical effects.

YMMV
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Eric- Thank you for that!! I didn't eat at all today until about 12:15. I was moderatley hungry but felt that I could have kept going if I wasn't on lunch at work. I think it's just an adjustment period and "teaching" my body that I will not die/faint/get sick if i don't eat first thing in the morning!
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am still drinking it every morning and loving it. I think it really helps me not retain water. I am a little hungrier earlier now. Usually around 11:30 - 12 noon. I may up my coconut oil and see if they helps. Hope everyone is doing great!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I am still drinking it every morning and loving it. I think it really helps me not retain water. I am a little hungrier earlier now. Usually around 11:30 - 12 noon. I may up my coconut oil and see if they helps. Hope everyone is doing great!
    I'm convinced that using BPC to stay in a fasted state until noon is huge for me. I do not allow myself to snack after 8 PM, so I basically fast from then until noon now - 16 hours of the day I am in a fasted state and 8 hours a day I can eat.

The benefits I am discovering so far ....

- I am not nearly as consumed and driven by food and meals
    - My energy levels are much higher throughout the morning than when I eat breakfast
    - During my first week doing BPC and a morning fast I lost 3.5 lbs just about effortlessly
    - A lot of folks know I've now sworn off the scale at all for 4 weeks. However, over the past 2 1/2 weeks I've still had some awesome NSV. I think I will start a Low Carb'ers success story thread :-)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I'm messing it up by my "nibbles". Whenever I fix my kids breakfasts I'll always make miniature bites a long the way of their stuff. I can't help it! I guess that's messing with keeping me in the fasting state?
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I'm messing it up by my "nibbles". Whenever I fix my kids breakfasts I'll always make miniature bites a long the way of their stuff. I can't help it! I guess that's messing with keeping me in the fasting state?

I'm very new to this...having my 3rd one (for the week) as I write this. From what I read, though, you're messing it up by eating anything with sugar. I found this thread helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66015-3.html
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I tried it again today and so far, I'm feeling pretty good.

I tried it for the first time today and the same thing happened to me. Maybe I need to add more coffee, I just used an regular size cup in my K-cup machine, so roughly 8oz.