Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I've heard BPC mentioned over and over, on the Paleo boards too...and I have to admit, it sounds kind of gross to me. :laugh:
    However, I will have to give it a try!
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    So I FINALLY tried it this morning...12 oz coffee, 1 tbsp Kerrygold and 1 tbsp organic coconut oil. It was so good and frothy! But I have to admit, I don't really feel "full"...I could definitely eat something. And it's only 9:30am. Did I not use enough oil/butter?
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So I FINALLY tried it this morning...12 oz coffee, 1 tbsp Kerrygold and 1 tbsp organic coconut oil. It was so good and frothy! But I have to admit, I don't really feel "full"...I could definitely eat something. And it's only 9:30am. Did I not use enough oil/butter?

This is too funny because I just tried it today, too! I LOVED it but it didn't leave me satisfied, so I still ate my normal breakfast. I used a tablespoon of ghee, a tablespoon of coconut oil, and a dash of vanilla. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Aerolatte, or immersion blender, or even a blender. I find the Aerolatte to be easiest.
  • Has anyone tried using ghee instead of butter? If so do you use the same amt as you would the butter?
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    My handheld immersion blender works great. I upped the Kerrygold from 1 tbs to 2 tbs. Hopefully it keeps me full a little longer.....

I don't see why the amount of butter would be any different from the amount of ghee. I know someone else posted they use ghee.
  • After reading bk through the tread I did see where someone said they used it but never said how much. It probably isn't any difference but in my thinking of you are removing things from the butter to make ghee then what's left is more concentrated? Therefore maybe requiring you to use slightly less? I think I'll just Google the fat content of the butter and compare it to the ghee I'm going to use and measure them to match. Would probably be the best thing bc the fat content is the purpose of the coffee right?
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    *UPDATE* Ugh...Okay, so I guess that extra tbs of butter did it...just ate three little breakfast sausages and am so full I'm borderline nauseas. :sick:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 16oz of coffee, 1-Tbsp Kerry gold butter, 2-Tbsp MCT oil, and throw it in the blender and it comes out great!
    Some days I will use 2-Tbsp of butter.
    I have heard of individuals using up to 4-tbsp of butter.

It keeps me satisfied till afternoon.
  • nolantsmom
    nolantsmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing I did noticed drinking BPC, or using coconut oil, it puts me into ketosis faster, I can do the ketostrip when I get up, it shows trace, after drinking or using coconut oil I am burning darkest color, anyone else notice that? Some people say It has a fat burning effect, maybe that's the proof??
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    One thing I did noticed drinking BPC, or using coconut oil, it puts me into ketosis faster, I can do the ketostrip when I get up, it shows trace, after drinking or using coconut oil I am burning darkest color, anyone else notice that? Some people say It has a fat burning effect, maybe that's the proof??

If you eat lots of fat, you're going to show higher amounts on the strips. It doesn't mean you're burning more of your own fat.
  • nolantsmom
    nolantsmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you think that means too much fat then? Sorry just trying to get my head around this :)
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    Do you think that means too much fat then? Sorry just trying to get my head around this :)
    I think you might be overthinking it. :wink:
  • Ok so yesterday I finally tried bp coffee. I made it with mct oil and ghee. I also put cocoa powder in it. It made a nice foam on the top after blending it but I couldn't get myself to drink it all. I felt nausea. I don't know if it was all in my head or what. Well today I tried it again but I used coconut oil and ghee and it was awesome. It didn't foam as much as it did with the mct oil but I managed to drink all of it with no problem. Now I don't know if It was the mct oil or the coco powder(didn't use it the 2nd time either) but I think I'll stick with the coconut oil for now.
    Now as for how well it worked...I didn't get hungry until I ate lunch at 1
    And later that day someone made the comment that I was more hyper than normal.
    It all could be a fluke or placebo effect but I'll keep drinking it and see what happens!
    So far I'm pleased
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've gotten some dramatic weight loss off Intermittent fasting using BPC so I'm going to continue experimenting.

So far I've tried a whole combination of BPC mixtures.

1. Grounded Coffee, 15ml Coconut oil, 1tbsp organic butter, 1 tsp cocoa, 1 tsp cinnamon - 2tsp stevia - This was okay, but the cocoa thickened up the coffee and made it kinda thick to drink. It's okay if you're feeling like a richer texture.

2. Grounded Coffee, 15ml Coconut oil, 1tbsp organic butter, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2tsp stevia - It was different, a nice little change, but there were bits in the coffee which I wouldn't like all the time.

3. Grounded Coffee, 15ml Coconut oil, 1tbsp organic butter, 2tsp stevia - Foamy and oily but quite nice.

4, Grounded Coffee, 15ml MCT oil, 1tbsp organic butter, 2tsp stevia - My favourite so far, much foamier, made it really easy to drink. Creamy and filling.

Some people may like more butter or oil, but I found that it was too rich and made me nauseous so it really depends on your body.

Hope this helped someone :)
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Okay so i've read about this coffee for a while now and finally got the ingredients, however i just want to check on peoples measurements. Everyone seems to measure in TBLS's , i don't have a tablespoon so i measured by weight instead.

Made it this morning with:

10oz fresh coffee
    Kerrygold butter 30g (216 calories)
    Coconut oil 30g (230 calories)

so combined breakfast of 446 calories -higher than normal!

It was really a good taste and texture. Is this about what others put in or should it be higher? Thanks
  • Filmlotus
    Options
    I go for about 1tbsp of Butter or about 12.5g = 92calories.
    Mct Oil , 15 ml or 13.5 g = 111 calories
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Looks like i've ended up going quite high- never mind, there's always tomorrow to try again!!! However i had it at 8am and am not really hungry so all good so far .

Can i ask do you only have one cup a day???
  • Filmlotus
    Options
    The bulletproof CEO usually has 2tbsp or sometimes more if he's in need of lots of energy so it depends on your needs. He also said that pure fat is the least likely to break your fast (from your 8 hour sleep and additional hours you didn't eat last night) so it acts as alittle pick me up to keep you fasting through the rest of the day. Once you start eating, I guess there's no used to drink another cup. Your insulin levels have risen, albeit a tiny amount if you're on a keto/low carb diet. So having more while your blood sugar is high may not be a good idea. However, I heard about a guy who carries little containers of bpc with him on plane trips and survives on it all day since he doesn't eat anything. I guess I've never heard of anyone who drinks their bpc after they have eaten.

I hope my answer covered what you were asking :)