ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Feb 11 2013

Colleen 8
    The Binge 2 (2/9, 2/10)
    Days finished logging 8

2013 stats:
    January 22/9

Still struggling with feelings of unworthiness, but working through it. I have to deal with this stuff in life anyway, binge or not. Why make it worse on myself?

~hugs. You are definitely NOT Unworthy. No one is. :flowerforyou: Hang in there. Yes, binges aren't a problem solver so the problem is always going to be waiting for you after.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Can weight loss solve some problems? Sure, some very specific problems, in particular cases. But being thinner won’t necessarily make you smarter, prettier, more self-assured or a more charming conversationalist. It won’t necessarily make you more appreciated for all your many strengths at work, or more attractive to people of the sex/gender you prefer. Depending on how you go about it, weight loss alone may not even make you feel healthier or more fit.

When we all collaborate together to demonize fatness as a moral failing, we scapegoat a bodily tissue for all our perceived inadequacies. Shed the fat, and shed the things that make us unhappy with ourselves and our lives.

If we don’t have a loving partner, it’s the fat’s fault. If we feel insecure and uncomfortable in social situations, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re not moving up the ranks at work as much as we’d like, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re depressed or anxious, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re uncertain of our ability to do awesome life stuff, like changing careers or taking a trip to some distant country, it’s because we’re fat, and if we weren’t fat, then none of these things would be a problem anymore.

But fatness alone ought never to be an excuse for not going after the excellent and fulfilling life you deserve. The obvious fact is that when you lose weight, the person you are does not change. If you were comfortable and confident with yourself, irrespective of your body size, in the before, you will probably continue to feel that in the after.

But if you are unhappy and unconfident with the person you are when you begin your weight loss, that weight loss will not fix these things. It won’t renovate your whole life. You will probably continue to feel that way no matter what size you’re wearing. You may have absorbed the idea that a slender figure will solve all your problems, but the stark reality is that for a surprising number of people, it’s just not true. The parts of yourself that you dislike, the things about which you are insecure, all the stuff that is holding you back will continue to be present either way — you just might be dealing with these issues in a slightly smaller body.

So the question you must ask yourself is: what do you expect will change as a result of weight loss? And is weight loss really the only way to change these things?

- Lesley Kinzel
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me-9
    The Binge-1
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Me - 6.
    Binge- 5.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Can weight loss solve some problems? Sure, some very specific problems, in particular cases. But being thinner won’t necessarily make you smarter, prettier, more self-assured or a more charming conversationalist. It won’t necessarily make you more appreciated for all your many strengths at work, or more attractive to people of the sex/gender you prefer. Depending on how you go about it, weight loss alone may not even make you feel healthier or more fit.

When we all collaborate together to demonize fatness as a moral failing, we scapegoat a bodily tissue for all our perceived inadequacies. Shed the fat, and shed the things that make us unhappy with ourselves and our lives.

If we don’t have a loving partner, it’s the fat’s fault. If we feel insecure and uncomfortable in social situations, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re not moving up the ranks at work as much as we’d like, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re depressed or anxious, it’s the fat’s fault. If we’re uncertain of our ability to do awesome life stuff, like changing careers or taking a trip to some distant country, it’s because we’re fat, and if we weren’t fat, then none of these things would be a problem anymore.

But fatness alone ought never to be an excuse for not going after the excellent and fulfilling life you deserve. The obvious fact is that when you lose weight, the person you are does not change. If you were comfortable and confident with yourself, irrespective of your body size, in the before, you will probably continue to feel that in the after.

But if you are unhappy and unconfident with the person you are when you begin your weight loss, that weight loss will not fix these things. It won’t renovate your whole life. You will probably continue to feel that way no matter what size you’re wearing. You may have absorbed the idea that a slender figure will solve all your problems, but the stark reality is that for a surprising number of people, it’s just not true. The parts of yourself that you dislike, the things about which you are insecure, all the stuff that is holding you back will continue to be present either way — you just might be dealing with these issues in a slightly smaller body.

So the question you must ask yourself is: what do you expect will change as a result of weight loss? And is weight loss really the only way to change these things?

- Lesley Kinzel
    WOW!! I think many of this know this but a good reminder for sure that losing weight will definitely not solve life problems and issues we have within. Thanks!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    8d81013077722171422643962d6ade98.jpg

e09a22e5d8182580d381c106ed8b1691.jpg
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Diane: 2
    Binge : 8

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 10

"The Binge" - 0

There are those moments when I think about binging. They're not as severe as they usually are which is nice, but it doesn't mean they aren't tempting.

Those binge thoughts turn me to sugar...and now I realize that's OK. A little bit of sugar is better than restricting and then binging on so much more than I would have had. Cravings don't have to be a bad thing. It's how we view them that makes them bad.

I've learned to just listen to myself. Sometimes I don't like it, sometimes I'm scared. But I know in order to get past this, I have to move away from my old habits and try and get back into a normal routine.

I don't want anymore missed opportunities...and I deserve a happy life.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Those binge thoughts turn me to sugar...and now I realize that's OK. A little bit of sugar is better than restricting and then binging on so much more than I would have had. Cravings don't have to be a bad thing. It's how we view them that makes them bad.

I've learned to just listen to myself. Sometimes I don't like it, sometimes I'm scared. But I know in order to get past this, I have to move away from my old habits and try and get back into a normal routine.

I don't want anymore missed opportunities...and I deserve a happy life.

I LOVE THIS!!! Good thinking!!!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

- Lesley Kinzel
    WOW!! I think many of this know this but a good reminder for sure that losing weight will definitely not solve life problems and issues we have within. Thanks!!

Yeah. I was thinking a lot of you do know it but it was a nice reminder for me. :)
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    2-11-13

Jul: 7
    Binge: 4 (2/3, 2/5, 2/7, 2/8)
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    binge 1
    me-10
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    Michelle - 7
    Binge - 4 (2/3, 2/7, 2/8, 2/9)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Diane: 2
    Binge : 8

:sad: :sad: :sad:

-hugs- hang in there.
  • MSP107
    MSP107 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Me -1
    Binge - 2
    Feeling ashamed just had a binge that added 320 calories and 17 extra carbs to my great day of eating. Why cant I stop?? i am powerless and need to stop trying to control and just let it go! UGHHH
  • nemelkb
    Options
    Really wanted to binge last night...was anxiously waiting for everyone to go to bed so I could....but then I made the best choice.....I went to bed! No binging occurred. Yay! Still wanted to this morning...snacked a little but controlled myself and so far have done well today. Hoping to report a me-9 and binge-1 by tomorrow but have to see the night through. Thanks everyone! And keep up the good work!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    February 2013:

Mollie - 10
    The Binge - 1 (3rd)

Days I did not logged it ALL: 1 (3rd)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

January - 4 days I did not log it ALL
    8d81013077722171422643962d6ade98.jpg

e09a22e5d8182580d381c106ed8b1691.jpg
    [/quote]
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    February 2013

December 2012: 19/12
    January 2013 : 23/08

Terry - 9
    The Binge - 2

Logging days - 11 / 28
  • greenteacupz
    greenteacupz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me: 11
    Binge: 0
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2/11/2013

Me: 11
    the binge: 0

No urges to fight, thank god. A little worried about tomorrow because I've got counseling in the afternoon and a lot of stuff to process from the weekend, but there's no need to borrow trouble, I reckon.