SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Feb 12 2013

Colleen 9
    The Binge 2 (2/9, 2/10)
    Days finished logging 9

2013 stats:
    January 22/9
    Last night I started reading "Brain Over Binge" after seeing some folks here talk about it. I've read a lot of self-help books (hence my name, LOL), and it's a new take on things. The author of the book claims that there is a practical solution to binging that is independent of emotions. Of course, I'm not so arrogant as to think that I have no emotional triggers whatsoever, but perhaps my anxiety and depression are separate problems? Maybe I'm just stressing myself out by trying to analyze every single craving and episode and how it all ties together with everything else that's wrong in my life?

I'm still continuing to write down my feelings after meals and throughout the day, but I am curious to read the rest of the author's thoughts on the subject. Even if it does nothing for me, I can't eat if I am reading a good book, which is a plus!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    2/11/2013

Me: 11
    the binge: 0

No urges to fight, thank god. A little worried about tomorrow because I've got counseling in the afternoon and a lot of stuff to process from the weekend, but there's no need to borrow trouble, I reckon.

You are doing great! Keep it up...I know it's tough with the situation you are experiencing with your (former?) friend.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Diane: 2
    Binge : 9
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Really wanted to binge last night...was anxiously waiting for everyone to go to bed so I could....but then I made the best choice.....I went to bed! No binging occurred. Yay! Still wanted to this morning...snacked a little but controlled myself and so far have done well today. Hoping to report a me-9 and binge-1 by tomorrow but have to see the night through. Thanks everyone! And keep up the good work!
    Great Job! Going to bed helps me too since my binge cravings usually occur at night.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    feb 2013

Me: 10
    Binge - 1

Yahoo!! Only one you stupid bugger!! :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Me -1
    Binge - 2
    Feeling ashamed just had a binge that added 320 calories and 17 extra carbs to my great day of eating. Why cant I stop?? i am powerless and need to stop trying to control and just let it go! UGHHH
    Going over calories and carbs is not a real binge and no reason for shame either. Keep up the good work! and let yesterday and negative feelings go.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Feb 12th ~

Me: 9

The Binge: 3 (2/5, 2/6, 2/12)
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

Since the new week started, I have wanted to binge so bad. It started out as fleeting thoughts, but now I am thinking about it everytime I start thinking about food.

This is hard:/ After today, I only have two more days until my 2 week mark. I have NEVER made it to two weeks before. I just keep feeling like I want to give in, and its getting harder and harder to convince myself that it won't be worth it later.

I need help!! I feel like I'm losing my control and motivation, and I hate that.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

Since the new week started, I have wanted to binge so bad. It started out as fleeting thoughts, but now I am thinking about it everytime I start thinking about food.

This is hard:/ After today, I only have two more days until my 2 week mark. I have NEVER made it to two weeks before. I just keep feeling like I want to give in, and its getting harder and harder to convince myself that it won't be worth it later.

I need help!! I feel like I'm losing my control and motivation, and I hate that.

I often feel like I have a binge-free limit, that I have to binge eventually! But that is not the case. I am not great at controlling amounts of food (obviously..the bingeing) but I do know I can fight off a binge by having a small & CONTROLLED splurge. AKA, I buy a single serving of something (I'd give examples but don't want to mention food..but something you like but isn't a trigger..) and enjoy it..and then make sure there isn't more for me to get. It also helps if I'm at a restaurant and enjoy a favorite meal, then have plans afterward so I CANNOT go home & be alone & binge. A non-food reward sometimes works for me (getting my nails done), might be worth a try! You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Make sure you're not restricting and nourishing your body and realize that food is not there to comfort you, you can find comfort else where!
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

I often feel like I have a binge-free limit, that I have to binge eventually! But that is not the case. I am not great at controlling amounts of food (obviously..the bingeing) but I do know I can fight off a binge by having a small & CONTROLLED splurge. AKA, I buy a single serving of something (I'd give examples but don't want to mention food..but something you like but isn't a trigger..) and enjoy it..and then make sure there isn't more for me to get. It also helps if I'm at a restaurant and enjoy a favorite meal, then have plans afterward so I CANNOT go home & be alone & binge. A non-food reward sometimes works for me (getting my nails done), might be worth a try! You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Make sure you're not restricting and nourishing your body and realize that food is not there to comfort you, you can find comfort else where!

Thank you for the encouraging words! I just don't like this feeling that I could unravel after so much hard work, in a matter to minutes. I think that would be okay to eat a little bit without binging, but that would mean I go over my calorie limit for the day. I don't really want to do that until my 2 weeks is up of completely normal days.

You gave really good advice. At least with this group I'm not doing it alone, and I have a better shot at making it through my binge eating urges. Thank you for your HELP! I needed some support.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

Thank you for the encouraging words! I just don't like this feeling that I could unravel after so much hard work, in a matter to minutes. I think that would be okay to eat a little bit without binging, but that would mean I go over my calorie limit for the day. I don't really want to do that until my 2 weeks is up of completely normal days.

You gave really good advice. At least with this group I'm not doing it alone, and I have a better shot at making it through my binge eating urges. Thank you for your HELP! I needed some support.

Don't set standards so high, as that is more likely to lead to issues.
    It is better to go over goal a bit sometimes than to end up binging, and if your goal is so low that you cannot fit in a treat, then it is probably too low anyway, and that in itself could be resulting in binge urges.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

It is better to go over goal a bit sometimes than to end up binging, and if your goal is so low that you cannot fit in a treat, then it is probably too low anyway, and that in itself could be resulting in binge urges.

LOVE THIS advice. So thankful that I'm part of this group on here. I learn things a lot ^-^
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    2-12-13

Jul: 8
    Binge: 4 (2/3, 2/5, 2/7, 2/8)
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Feb 12th ~

Me: 8

The Binge: 4 (2/5, 2/6,2/11, 2/12)

Had to edit.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Feb 12th ~

Me: 8

The Binge: 4 (2/5, 2/6,2/11, 2/12)

Had to edit.

Kudos for honesty.
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 0

I think you are right. Maybe I am eating too little calories. I am going to set my goals a little easier at first, so I can gradually get into it. Thank you for the advice!
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 11

"The Binge" - 1

I was two days away from my goal :/

I will forgive myself...but it scares me that I'm forgiving myself much more easily now...and much more frequently.

I don't what is worse: hating myslef for binging (more binging, depressed) or forgiving myself for binging (giving me the OK to feel like I can binge whenever the feelings start).
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Me -1
    Binge - 2
    Feeling ashamed just had a binge that added 320 calories and 17 extra carbs to my great day of eating. Why cant I stop?? i am powerless and need to stop trying to control and just let it go! UGHHH
    Going over calories and carbs is not a real binge and no reason for shame either. Keep up the good work! and let yesterday and negative feelings go.

I have to respond because I just realized something!!! MFP is so good for me because I log everything and I can see what I have really done. Lately I have had two overeating episodes that would have led to a binge, except I looked at the calories I consumed and realized that I was just overeating and it would all balance out. Taking the guilt out made a huge difference to me. What seems to happen to me is that I overeat and feel stuffed and like a loser, then I keep eating to stuff down those feelings and those feelings , etc., etc., etc. When I feel stuffed, I hunt for the calorie dense foods that are full of sugar and fat. I guess because I can get the carb high faster. It can continue for many days or weeks...

My problem is eating in the middle of the night and I am not "binging" anymore. I am overeating by a lot sometimes and therefore I am doing another challenge to avoid "Late Night Snacking". ........Oh, I am snacking??? That is a whole different situation...:happy: Even labeling it snacking, instead of binging takes some power away from the food. After taking the energy away from the food, I realize it's the sleeping that is the problem, which is another whole conversation.

I searched the internet for 'how many calories constitute a binge' and got a lot of 'it's how you eat, not how much", but really,......for me, it's how much. I overeat like a nut - shoveling food into my mouth, dropping it on the floor, looking around guiltily, but if I stop, it's not a binge. I guess it's guilty snacking. There are many normal holiday foods that can get me over 2000 cal in a few servings, so I'm personally not calling it a binge unless its above 3000 cal. I have done that once this month, and may do it again, but I won't set myself up by calling over "snacking" the beginning of a binge!!
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    February 2013

December 2012: 19/12
    January 2013 : 23/08

Terry - 10
    The Binge - 2

Logging days - 12 / 28