February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My squats yesterday were not so great (not awful but I've done more reps at that same weight before) But, my lady parts are bleeding so I feel like that's a valid excuse. (PS in case you haven't learned yet, squatting makes cramps feel SO MUCH BETTER even though you will really really really really really REALLY not want to go to the gym...)

Mcctin - is it like, ... shoulder tightness? oooorrrr? A couple things I can think of are just plain shoulder stretches - there's a doorway stretch you can do (probably pretty obvious from the name but google it - or just shoulder stretches in general) and also this:
    http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

Also - try adjusting where you hold the bar a little bit - everyone's a little different so what looks like the right distance on someone else mgiht be wrong for YOU. And when you set up the bar, remember you're really pinching your shoulder blades together, not merely contorting your shoulders.

Aaaand lastly - Nick used to seriously hurt one arm every time he squatted, for like, weeks. He finally figured out that for some reason, he reflexively squeezed the bar really hard and PULLED down on it with that one arm when he was coming back up out of the squat. Yeah. It was weird. But he was actually straining that arm so hard every time he did it that one day he really did injure it (mildly). I'm not saying you're doing THAT specifically, but check for SOMETHING weird.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Had a great Workout A today. My squats are feeling great now that I've adjusted my grip and I increased to 50 lbs. I also youtubed my favorite Pendlay row video while I was in the rack, because it was just feeling wrong and I was having serious trouble with 70 lbs. I realized I definitely had a few problems with my form - arms too far apart and standing too far from the bar. I fixed it and totally nailed 70 lbs easy. Bench - got up 75 lbs 24 times and then had to bail out and finish on the bottom pegs on my last rep. I will do 75 lbs again next week - but I was pleased to realize that the bottom pegs really act as a pretty good "spotter" for me.

Sorry for those of you dealing with injuries - it's the worst. My knee is holding up very nicely on the squats.

Yay for the awesome yoga instructor NSV, HIIT!

Off to look at badasses and strippers!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    That Mika site is awesome!

I didn't workout today...I was hanging out with the kids and running errands.

Sarah, what is the YouTube vid you like? I'd like to try Pendlays again.
  • sarahz5
    Options
    It's completely JUST a set, no instruction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LJqZX5aIY
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I think I'm arching my back too much...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, lets see how horrible my progress pics show up.

Januarycomparison_zps7c9db577.jpg

Januarycomparisonside_zps8a6652fe.jpg

Woohoo! They aren't huge! I think the most noticeable difference is that I'm less blurry now :laugh:
  • sarahz5
    Options
    Auddii :laugh: Less blurry yes, but you are noticeably slimmed all over!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ugh, today's workout started out great then sucked. Squats at 55 were fine, and the knees weren't bothering me. But, to be safe, I'm going to stick with this weight all week. Did bench at 70lbs, which seemed like it was going to fail, but I managed to put up all five sets. Tried rows at 70, which was just a bad idea. I noticed that on the last reps of my sets I wasn't making it all the way into my chest, and I kind of sucked it up, and said I wouldn't add more weight next time, and everything would be fine. Until the last set when I pulled the muscle that runs down the side of my neck and into my shoulder. Awesome. ****.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have been just lurking for a few days...
    So much has been going on!
    Auddii - Looking Great!

Fittree - I know what you mean about bikinis not getting much use. I ordered a VS one last year (for Maui) and wore it that week, and then I only got to wear it 2 times on our boat, and 2 times while on Vacation in MI. Which happens to be the most I have worn
    a bikini in about 5 years (stupid Seattle).

Welcome tageekly!

Um, pole dancing - something you won't catch me doing. It takes way too much flexibility and coordination.

Finally set some Weight Goals (Dropping back to SL 3x5 for Feb while rehabbing my back):
    I would like to squat 115x3x5 this month. Keeping it conservative, but if I do that, and then add 10 more lbs in March, I will be at body weight. BW is my main goal right now.
    Bench - 80x3x5
    OHP - 70x3x5
    Deadlift - not sure on this one... I'd like to see 175x3, but I am not sure if I want to push that hard this month. I could do 165x5 as a goal? I have cleared 165x3 and 160x5...just never tried 165x5 for some reason...yes, I think 165x5 will be my goal.
    Rows - Just start doing them again...but I really don't like them. I have been subbing assisted pullups but I don't think they are half as hard.

I am still dealing with the mind-eff of eating large amounts of food (I have no will power) while not pushing myself in the weight room and doing pretty much nothing but cardio. I feel like my muscle is melting away and that really bothers me. I go back to the Chiro Monday after work and I am hoping he clears me at that point, but we will see.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Giaiam has ome good videos.
    I used to have power Yoga-Flexibility for Beginners by Rodney Yee...it was awesome. I looked and can't find the DVD, but any of his Power Yoga for Flexibility DVDs would be good and not too pricey.

So I bought Daily Yoga with Rodney Yee yesterday...tried it for the first time this morning and I quite liked his style! I don't know if he does this in all of his DVD's but in this one he is with his wife, so he explains everything as she is doing it. Plus there is 5 different workouts that are all under 30 minutes. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Yoga:

I am aiming to do it once a week (at least) this month to help my flexibility and possibly alleviate some of the hip/back pain I suffer from. Plus, I really don't want to go to more Chiro sessions than absolutly needed.

I found this bad boy on Amazon, with some pretty promising reviews - so I purchased it and can't wait to try it out:
    Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Giaiam has ome good videos.
    I used to have power Yoga-Flexibility for Beginners by Rodney Yee...it was awesome. I looked and can't find the DVD, but any of his Power Yoga for Flexibility DVDs would be good and not too pricey.

Yep Rodney Yee is a really good one. Look for the Beginner DVDs and catch them on sale.

I also personally highly recommend Yogazone DVDs. That's what got me started. I never bought a DVD of theirs I didn't like (and I have like 4). Nowadays I do my own routine but that's after like 10 years of practicing. It's better to have guidance when you start so you don't develop bad habits right out of the box.

Oh yes Stronglifts! I haven't started yet. Currently reading the e-book and am in discussion with the hubbs about how to best approach it. I'm going with kettlebells for now (since I already had those) to get the ball rolling and get my butt in gear until we find an equipment/gym plan that we're both happy with, which may take a few months yet due to budget etc.

Keep kicking tail ladies! Strong is fabulous!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Auddii :laugh: Less blurry yes, but you are noticeably slimmed all over!

I think so too! Actually I was really surprised to see that was only an 8 lb difference, I think your shirt looks noticeably a lot looser, everywhere.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    @Audii.....yes! yes! yes! Most certainly there is a visible difference! Great work! :bigsmile:

So my form on the rows has been something I have also been thinking about over the last bit...so I watched the link that Sarah (I think it was you!) put up and then I went back to the SL site to read what Mehdi has to say and yeah, I think I have been wrong. Here is my problem though....I have totally short arms. Like I really can't reach to pull from the floor, which is why I have used a lift. Is this okay? Plus, I had watched a "how-to" video on BB.com and it showed more of a gut punch with the bar rather than a reverse bench press, as Mehdi describes it.

Is it okay for me to still use a lift? I do still set the bar down and pull up again.....does the height matter?

Thanks!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Speaking of Yoga:

I am aiming to do it once a week (at least) this month to help my flexibility and possibly alleviate some of the hip/back pain I suffer from. Plus, I really don't want to go to more Chiro sessions than absolutly needed.

I found this bad boy on Amazon, with some pretty promising reviews - so I purchased it and can't wait to try it out:
    Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow

I think you will find it really beneficial. I was skeptical...not going to lie lol but really, even in that 25 minutes this morning, parts of body were stretched that I really didn't realize were tight. I'm anxious to see what the other routines on my DVD are like!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Audii you look smaller all over, and less blurry. I'm jealous of your walk in closet! I have tons of closet space, but something about a walk in makes me covet one.

I'm not sure if I'm doing rows right, but I think I am. I saw a video with Pendlay a month or so ago that said to bring it under your chest, so I just aim for my under boob. I started feeling it all over my back more when I started doing this. Also I've noticed in a lot of videos people were bending their legs. I started bending my legs, and keeping my back parallel and it was much easier to do the movement. Before I was trying to keep my back straight- not really sure why. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg was the video.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Some semi-random goals:
    Run the 10k on 10th
    Squat 65x5x5
    BP 40x5x5
    OP 35x5x5
    Row 60x5x5
    DL 120x1x5
    Time my 400m swim and compete to pre SL time
    Lift at least twice a week (but no squats this week due to upcoming 10k)
    Stick to cardio plan ready for sprint tri at the end of March

Figure out how the hell to eat to support all that while dropping BF%!!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Well I changed my mind. I don't know about the real rest days. I thought I was going to do it but I have rationalized doing what I want to do!!!! I think that because I run/walk at a nice mellow pace and I am not increasing my distance or speed then it isn't really taxing my body too much and because I either do it later in the day on a lifting day or in the morning on a non lifting day and there is a significant time in-between the cardio and the lifting it doesn't count!!! I may be deluding myself but I like it so I am going to do it! I'm 50 and I can do what I want!! : )

Audii You look awesome!!! Great work! I agree that you look much smaller. Hurray for body recomposition!!!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I took pics and measurements today...*siiiiiiiigh* I'll post on my blog tomorrow.

Made it to the gym today, yay!

Goblet squats: 3x8 35lb
    OHP: 5x5 53 lb
    Dreads: 1x5 125 lbs
    Cable pull: 3x8 70 lbs

I'm only 10 pounds from being able to use 45 plates on the DL!! Also, there was a guy there doing deads using only 10 more than I...Whoot!

I think I'll really be able to make 60 on the OHP this month.
  • sarahz5
    Options
    Vegas, re using a lift for rows - I think pretty much everyone has said that they adjust the height of the floor (well you know :laugh: ) for their rows. I read people using three 25lbers, so that's what I do. But I just realized it would be so much easier to use a step with risers! At least i think. I am going to give that a go. Of course, once we get to 135 on the rows the bar should be high enough on its own. :happy: :tongue:

You all (and my husband) really, really have me jonesing for yoga. I am going to have to work in a few poses here and there. Hubs has been doing it at night before bed.