NORM! (An Introduction Post)

Options
BigDog
BigDog Posts: 272 Member
Hi, My name is Mark, I live in Michigan USA, and I love a good full bodied beer. (The hopier the better!) I also home brew (Still on kits right now, but hope to go all grain next Spring)

I noticed that alcohol on the forums takes a pretty bad rap and the people that enjoy it are often accused of being useless drunks and will never be able to loose weight as long as they continue to consume the evil poison. So... I thought I why not start a group where people can talk about all things beer, brewing, and alcohol and how to best tackle trying to lose weight and get healthy when you appreciate and enjoy having a drink or two.

Say hello, invite anyone you think would like to join and contribute and if anyone want's to be a moderator or help maintain the group let me know. I created it, but don't know how much time I can devote to it. So hopefully some of you will want to help.

Cheers!!

Oh, and by the way...
If the first three people I invited here are wondering how and why I invited you (as we haven't really talked before) it's because I saw either on your profile or in a post you made that you either liked craft beer or liked to drink in general. ;-)

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am drinking a Belgian IPA right now! Homebrewed, of course!

I love all craft beers, from a good flavorful Bock to a strong hoppy IIPA.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a fine wine and craft beer sales rep based in South Carolina. I have a husband that homebrews too! So, since beer is a big part of my career I make sure to work it into my eating plan as well.

I saw the group pop up on my homepage and thought why not!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I also love red wine and craft beers! I have lost over 100 lbs still drinking every weekend. I am just smart about it now.

I used to be a binge drinker 5 nights a week on crap booze. My new lifestyle change lets me drink quality drinks in moderation. I enjoy myself (and my weekends!) so much more now.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a huge wine and craft brew fan! Since starting this "new life," I've had to switch to things like Miller 64 if I wanted a beer. I hide my food diary because too many people on here can be cruel about alcohol, no matter the amount. I drink sporadically as my mood fits. I'm a doctoral student so my schedule isn't split into weeks versus weekends like the typical person. I am starting to make my own beer and wine at home, which is something I've always wanted to do. My goal is to one day start a winery in the Niagara region of NY with my family, and offer microbrews as well. That will likely be a "retirement" dream though!
  • bellabeer
    Options
    I feel the same way about alcohol that I do about food. If I am going to use calories on something, I'm going to make damn sure it's something good. So if I'm going to eat chocolate cake, it is going to be the best damn chocolate cake I can find - and maybe I won't eat an entire piece of it ;). And if I am going to drink beer, it's going to be high-quality,

I am SURROUNDED by some of the finest breweries in the country, and I go frequently. But my GF and I will usually get 5 or 6 4-ounce tasters and share them with each other or one or two other people. That way I get to have a little bit of everything, I don't deny myself, I don't get drunk, and I can keep my calories under control.

The biggest changes I've made is that I don't drink as often as I used to - so I'm down to one or two days a week at this point - and I no longer drink to get drunk - which, honestly, is good for a lot of reasons other than weight loss.

But I LOVE beer (as my name might indicate) and a life without good food and good beer is not a life worth living, for me. So if it takes a little longer to reach my goals, or if I have to work out a little harder, that's ok. I fully plan to ENJOY my life.
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome everyone,

Glad to see this group won't be empty.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh it will not be empty.,
  • BigDog
    Options
    ^ ^ This is good ^ ^

Welcome Kangoojumps! Make sure to invite any other like minded people on over. These types of groups only work if you have a decent number of regular posters.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    thanks, i did, i just asked td connor in, i have some more too, great group!
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am glad you invited me to the group Mark.

I love to have a glass of whatever after a hard day's work... not a useless drunk, and I am losing weight... so go booze! haha!

Love me nice red beer (however you call it wherever you live)... My faves are Lion Red from NZ and Barba Roja from Argentina...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Hi all and thanks for the invite!

Matt here. I do some PR work for a local brewery startup here near me. Central NC. We're a growing craft beer mecca (I don't mind tooting the horn.) and I try to hit up a new brewery at least every month. I love craft beer and don't play favorites with styles, and there are very few on the list of "I don't know that I would seek that out again."

Also: Happy Hopslam Release day. I'm picking up my sixer after work.

That said, if any of you are on untappd, I post a review for every beer. Not sure if there's any interest in the group for that, but if so, I'll find my username and pop it in here.
  • leejusd
    Options
    I'm Justin and I drink beer, wine and just about anything.

I started home brewing beer several years ago. Darker and thicker the better, high alcohol content. I frequently do IPAs or double IPAs. My theory is if I can get a buzz off of one or two beers, then I won't drink that much.

I recently tried my first batch of wine using concord grapes. Wasn't bad, a little tough drinking it, very boozey.

I enjoy trying beer that I haven't seen before. I would much rather pay extra for a good beer than drink a cheap crappy beer.
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome all. Invite more people the more the merrier.

@troalicious... Would you be referring to Asheville? I am in Grand haven, MI (30 miles west of Grand Rapids) and I voted along with many of my friends and family to get the tie with you guys for "Beer City USA" I'm hoping to make a trip down that way within the next year or two. (kids, work, life permitting...) and if you get the chance you should head up this way.

We have breweries popping up like crazy in West Michigan specifically and Michigan in general. If you make it to Grand Haven come into Odd Side Ales. http://oddsideales.com They have some great beers and your first beer is on me!

Cheers!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Ah, Asheville is about 3 hours from me. I'm in the center of the state. There are a few winners here, but Asheville is bustling. Oskar Blues and New Belgium just opened facilities there.. along with the microbreweries. The major metro areas here have a few that are distributing, plus some of the "where is that?" towns in between.

There are even startups here that ONLY ship NC Beer outside of the state. Pretty interesting concept. I'd love to get up to MI. There are a handful of awesome brews.

Likewise here, if you make it to NC, I can recommend a few good long stops.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Homebrewer and craft beer lover from Denver (the OG Beer Mecca)! We have another homebrew/beer group that I manage, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. I can only post so much before my feed starts to look like a liquor store ad! ;)

I don't have a favorite style or brewery, I can't pick just one.

On tap at home right now I have an amber ale, and a chocolate porter going on this weekend.

Currently aging a Stone Ruination clone.

One completely wrecked Amber that I will be adding fruit to in hopes of saving it for the future. Long story short I didn't sanitize my whole hops (Cascade) before pitching dry... left them on for a little over 10 days, and ended up with 1] a wild yeast of the brett variety, and a grassy taste and aroma that knocks you on your knees. So, aging for about eight months now hoping the grass falls out, will sanitize and add a fruit that I think will complement the flavour at the time of addition, and then another decent length age. I will probably attempt the fruit some time next month.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite! Maybe this group will be more active than the other. I drink. Mostly beer. Occasionally a red wine, sometimes a white if my wife wont finish her glass. Lately I've been getting into scotch/whiskey/bourbon. But beer is still tops. Not a brewer, don't really have the space in my home to even store the equipment, but maybe some day. for now, I can get what I want at the liquor store. Living near Chicago, lots of microbrewers distribute here, plenty to choose from!
  • BigDog
    Options
    @misskortney... Wow. You rock. Instead of a fruit or maybe in addition have you thought about something like Wintergreen or Mint, that would help in the end product I think.

@capnrus... I too have been enjoying whiskey more not the cheap stuff that people mix but actually sitting down and taking a while to enjoy a glass of straight whiskey with maybe a drop of water to really open it up and get all those aromas and flavors. It's really quite enjoyable.
  • BigDog
    Options
    @trogalicious... I forgot to tell you. I'm "mcarrell" on Untappd.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    @trogalicious... I forgot to tell you. I'm "mcarrell" on Untappd.
    request sent

matttrogdon on untappd if any of the rest of ya's wanna join up and read sometimes horribly written 140 character reviews of good beer.