NORM! (An Introduction Post)

Options

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just got an invite because I was posting on the latest beer is bad thread... Love me some IPA, Dogfish 60 Minute is my favorite, but I enjoy any good, quality craft brewed beer.

I used to homebrew, haven't done it in 12 years or so. I still have all the gear, and I really need to get back to it.

Glad to be here, and waiting to share stories of our favorite beverage!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all!

Pull up a bar stool and enjoy.

Cheers!
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow beer drinkers! I'm in eastern N.C. not far from Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewing in Farmville, N.C. I'm originally from Canada but moved to the States more than 10 years ago, started a career and decided to stay.
    Since I enjoy beer (and alcohol for that matter) I'm finding a way to balance it into my diet but limiting the drinking to the weekends and not getting hammered.
    I'm always open to suggestions of beers to try and will regularly pick out a 6-pack of something I've not tried before to see if I might like it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow beer drinkers! I'm in eastern N.C. not far from Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewing in Farmville, N.C. I'm originally from Canada but moved to the States more than 10 years ago, started a career and decided to stay.
    Since I enjoy beer (and alcohol for that matter) I'm finding a way to balance it into my diet but limiting the drinking to the weekends and not getting hammered.
    I'm always open to suggestions of beers to try and will regularly pick out a 6-pack of something I've not tried before to see if I might like it.

For you! Local, craft, happy breweries.
    Weeping Radish
    Mother Earth (a freaking fantastic tripel)
    Lonerider (lots of happy here)
    Big Boss (even more happy)
    Natty Greene's (some standards, weaker stouts, great pales)
    OBX Brewing Station (oh man, there's a sour here.. oh man)
    Aviator (decent cali style brews, gives anchor steam a good run)
    Olde Hickory (ermagerd Event Horizon)
    Foothills (Hoppyum or Seeing Double)

Plenty of others out there, I just like sending out happy recommendations. There are a few microbreweries opening here (Asheboro, near the NC Zoo) and points inbetween.
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of Foothills Hoppyum and I'm actually friends with a couple. I just wish more places here had their beer or that I could buy it in the bottles. I know that's coming, it's just not yet reached us. I'm also a big fan of Aviator's WildHog, but they don't distribute past 95 ... booooo. Lonerider's Shotgun Betty and Peacemaker are also on my short list.
    I've had something from all the other breweries except Olde Hickory, so I'll have to check that out.
    Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!
    Cheers!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Mystery Brewing and Fullsteam as well. Fullsteam has always impressed me (Chombers One, First Frost, El Toro) Mystery has been consistent, but some of their stuff is a little lacking for my palate. Roth Brewing in Raleigh has a cinnamon porter, and a dunkelweizen called Sex Viking.
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! Every friday I visit the liquor store for a 6 pack o' Bud and a couple of singles. I love trying the different micro brews, the creamier the better! Super yummy! Last year I lost 18lbs & I drank every weekend, gonna do it again this year. Looking forward to this non-judgemental group, yay! Oh, I'm from Ottawa, Canada btw. :heart: :drinker:
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm Brian and I live in Ft. Collins, CO. I used a couple kits for home brewing in the early 90's but the wife didn't like the smell and I didn't like the taste. So a group of us started going to The Beer Store. They had a bunch of recipes, we brewed it there, and then we went back to bottle it a couple weeks later. It was fun and cheap.

But there are so many good brews around here that it's just easier, and better, to buy local.

I've been drinking some sour beers lately and I'm diggin it! (Friek and The Meddler) Odell's mainstays at my house include 90 Shilling Scottish Ale, 5 Barrel Pale Ale, and Myrcenary IPA

I love Odell Brewing Company - Here's their page:
    http://www.odells.com/
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!! I've had to cut back on beer for weight loss, but if I drink it, I drink something good. No low carb/lite beers here - I would much rather enjoy a single pint of something fantastic than drink several ultras, although I know everyone has their own opinion on that.

Right now, I'm a Southern Tier Blackwater series gal. I know some of them can be sweet, but I die for them. I have a hard time picking my fave!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Right now, I'm a Southern Tier Blackwater series gal. I know some of them can be sweet, but I die for them. I have a hard time picking my fave!
    One of my local watering holes just put Choklat on tap. Tasty. Also, welcome!
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Whitney from Fort Collins, CO here - aka The Napa Valley of Beers. Love beer, my and the boyfriend homebrew. Currently waiting on a Coffee Toddy Vanilla Stout and a Star Anise Stout to be carbonated. Actually, can probably try them today!

Happy to be here with other beer lovers.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Whitney!!!

This group might be of interest to you:

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoWomensBeerClub

We meet a couple times a month and do lady-and-beer-specific awesome things.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Whitney from Fort Collins, CO here - aka The Napa Valley of Beers. Love beer, my and the boyfriend homebrew. Currently waiting on a Coffee Toddy Vanilla Stout and a Star Anise Stout to be carbonated. Actually, can probably try them today!

"The Napa Valley of Beers" That was a great quote from the Coloradoan wasn't it? It just doesn't get any better than here for good beers.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You are all my new best friends.

I live in Dallas, where it seems there's a new microbrewery opening every week. The beer scene's too exciting for me to shun! Like a lot of you have said, I'd rather have a really good beer and fit it in my calories than drink crap or cut it out altogether. I reached my goal weight doing that :drinker: My friend's a homebrewer, so I'm getting to know the process - he has parties every time he brews or bottles because he's awesome like that. I also love wine beyond all love.

I've already seen a few beers mentioned here that I've never heard of before. Looking forward to some awesome discussion and recommendations!
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    Welcome, Whitney!!!

This group might be of interest to you:

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoWomensBeerClub

We meet a couple times a month and do lady-and-beer-specific awesome things.

Awesome, I'm checking it out now. Thanks!
  • littlewhittles
    Options

"The Napa Valley of Beers" That was a great quote from the Coloradoan wasn't it? It just doesn't get any better than here for good beers.

I think so. :) Love this place. I know there's a beer blogger whose blog is maybe Napa Valley of Beers?
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi - My name is Steve and I'm an avid Craft beer lover and fledgling home brewer. I'd always been into craft beer but several years ago a co-worker gave me a Bells Double Cream Stout and I loved the beer bit couldn't remember its name. I went to look it up on google and took the first entry for it I found which was on ratebeer.com. On there I discovered a local shop called Three Cellers that did a lot of tastings. I started taking notes and got hooked on trying every beer and beer style I could get my hand on. I've settled down a bit on my hobby but I still love to travel to brewpubs in my home state of Wisconsin (especially Madison) and would love to visit them all at some point. I take extended weekend trips for beer, usually to the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo area. The quality and quantity of brewpubs in that area is amazing and I get to stop at Greenbush on the way in and out of Michigan.

When I stumbled on myfitnesspal I was closing in on 300 pounds. I gave up cookies, cake, ice cream, junk food, most fast food and many other luxuries but did not give up beer. I figure some people eat chocolate, others drink soda but my "empty" calories are reserved for beer. I try to log every calorie, including beer and spent most of 2012 staying under my calorie goal while drinking a beer here or a beer there and lost 76 pounds in doing so. I didn't count as well during the holidays and had a few more beers but up less than 10 pounds from my Thanksgiving Day low and I'm working on taking it back off again.

A lot of my original MFP friends have left and I'd welcome some new friends so send me a request if interested.
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome esjaygee, and congratulations on the 70+ pounds gone!!

Next time you are in the Grand Rapids Michigan area, be sure to head west to the lake and check out Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven. You won't be disappointed.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Tom here, from Pittsburgh, Dean of Pittsburgh Brewniversity (www.pittsburghbrewniversity.com, a bit defunct since the summer, but coming back next month), and definitely struggling to balance my love of craft beer with my daily calorie goals.

It doesnt help that I keep craft in my kegerator in the mancave, most recently Erie Railbender that comes in at a healthy 210 calories per 12 ounces, or that I love russian imperial stouts that are around 300 calories per 12...
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome Tom!

Brewniversity... "Love it!" Perhaps there should be a brewniversity in every state. (Then there could be sporting events and other competitions.) ;-)