NORM! (An Introduction Post)

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Tom here, from Pittsburgh, Dean of Pittsburgh Brewniversity (www.pittsburghbrewniversity.com, a bit defunct since the summer, but coming back next month), and definitely struggling to balance my love of craft beer with my daily calorie goals.

It doesnt help that I keep craft in my kegerator in the mancave, most recently Erie Railbender that comes in at a healthy 210 calories per 12 ounces, or that I love russian imperial stouts that are around 300 calories per 12...

A fellow Picksburgh-ian! :drinker:
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Cheers!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow beer lovers....I'm Becky, from Richmond, VA. Originally from WI.

I've enjoyed my cold ones since the age of 1. That's right, my dad came out of the shower and found me passed out with his budweiser in my hand. I woke up 48hrs later (yeah...they did it right back then), and have expanded my taste since.

My favorites are blondes in the spring/summer and ambers in the fall/winter. I like to try a new beer every time I'm out and am horrible with names, so I rarely ever remember the ones I love. If I'm stopping for a 6-pack on the way home, it's either Sam's or Yuengling, depending on the mood.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey you guys!

I'm Melissa from Houston, Texas.

Craft beer enthusiast. My favorite's right now are Espresso Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide and Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace.

Mmm, yum.

My mission in life is to be balanced; Love, sweat and craft beer.
  • carapline
    carapline Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Caroline, from Montana, and I'm a craft beer addict. :)

I got hooked on good beer by going to one of (at that time) two local breweries after work on Fridays. Well, my city now is home to six breweries (and two of them have two taprooms), and I enjoy going to all. I also travel the state, and occasionally out of state, with the idea of visiting new breweries, and/or stocking up on random beer that I can't find here. I do occasionally brew beer with my boyfriend, though we haven't made any in about a year. For a while, we were brewing at least one or two a month, and got a bit burnt out. I'm hoping to get back into it. :)

Anyway, happy to find a group where I won't be chastised for drinking beer! :drinker:

edit to add: for those on untappd looking for new friends, I'm spracklinc. :)
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members! Glad you could make it, and spread the word. The more the merrier and the more there are the more active the group will be.

Cheers!!
  • kmrbriscoe
    kmrbriscoe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been homebrewing since 1997 and dieting since February of last year. I have lost 32 lbs since 2/2012 and still enjoy craft beer. I will admit I am not brewing as much and definitely not drinking as much as I did in the past but you can still lose wight and enjoy craft beer!

I find that I like to brew lower alcohol beers and still pack them with a ton of flavor!

Cheers!
    Rob
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome Rob!

I like some of the bigger abv beers and strong IPA's but I have also been able to find some relatively high quality session beers that have a lot less calories but still a lot of flavor. Something you won't find in the Macro offerings out there.

Cheers!
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    Homebrewer and lover of all things delicious. My favorite post workout treat is a frothy beer or a glass of wine. I have no intentions of depriving myself of the things I love but I am here to find balance and hopefully a little accountability for my indulgences.

Please feel free to add me as I also love to shoot the shnit.

RKM
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Cheers Friends
    Im Jenn , and im not alcholic i just love beer lol ...About 2 years ago i let my husband take me away from the evil monster i like to call domestic beer . I was a Bud Light gal , and a Cosmo chica ..Now im a beer geek ...Im still a newb in some sense but i do enjoy a hoptastic brew :) Nice to meet you
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome Jenn!

Always glad to see someone take the money from the big guys and give it to the little guys. Buy Local!!

Cheers!!
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow craft beers lovers! I'm Jen from Phoenix, AZ and I loves me some ale :drinker:

Was really happy to hear about this group in the fun and games board the other day. I log my adventures in beer the best I can but some of the newer and rarer brews aren't in the data base. Beer tasting is one of my hobbies and I have no interest in cutting it! Bring on American Craft Beer Week!
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome EponaBlue!

Glad you could make it.

Cheers!!
  • artratt
    artratt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I kind of forgot to do this first, sorry.

My name is Ross, I'm a Stay at Home Dad, Beer Enthusiast, and Homebrewer in Alaska. While we may not be the "Napa Valley" of beer, we certainly do have a lot of great brewers and beer culture up here. ;)
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome Ross,

I've always wanted to visit Alaska, and I have heard that there's a few good brews and brewers up that way.

Cheers!!
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

I am super excited to have found this group! I said recently that since my family and friends know I’m actively trying to lose weight, sometimes I feel like I have to make a secret out of my beer drinking. It’s a love affair I don’t think I’ll ever be able to walk away from.

It’s been a while since I’ve brewed, but the one I’ve done best was an Irish Red, which has been delicious each time. I’ve got my fingers crossed that my father’s day gift includes a kit!

Anyway, I am really glad to have found like-minded people among such seemingly militant calorie counters.

Best of luck to everyone! Feel free to add me – friends are always welcome!
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome erikwollschla!

Glad you could make it. Belly up to the bar and enjoy. ;-)

Cheers!
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just joined the group. From Grand Rapids, MI here. Killer Beer City USA (sorry Ashville-ians). I'm a home brewer, and currently in the works and planning stages of opening my own brewery in Lowell, Maddog BrewHaus. Totally looking forward to taking this on. Have a lot of support on the home front.

Currently bottled I have USMC Marine Madness IIPA (IIPA with US Liberty, Simcoe, Mt. Hood, and Cascade hops), Chosin Saison (my award winning Saison), and Adam's Apple (Apple Cinnamon Wheat). I'm getting ready to keg my "The Boot" American Pale. Classic pale ale, not too malty, around 30-40 IBUs. On deck to brew is my Zombie Dust clone.

As far as what I drink... I'm a Hop Head, if you can't tell by what I have bottled, ready to keg, and next beer I'm brewing. So, IIPA's, but I am a malt forward kind of guy too. Give me a nice malt flavor, followed by a strong hop presence.

I'm also a fan of a nice, smooth stout. Current favorite is Secret Stache Stout by Finch's Brewing.

Glad to be here!
  • BigDog
    Options
    Welcome webdevsoup!

Small world! I am a fellow West Michigan lover of craft beer. (I'm in Grand Haven)

I have a lifetime mug club membership at Odd Side Ales and you can find me in there frequently. I love our beer and beer community in Michigan and especially in West Michigan, and I'm looking forward to visiting your brewery when it's open.

I Just liked your brewery FB page. https://www.facebook.com/MaddogBrewhaus and I'll be sure to share it and see if we can start getting you some more likes and followers.

Once again... Welcome aboard and good luck with starting your brewery and with your goals here on MFP.

Cheers!!
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome webdevsoup!

Small world! I am a fellow West Michigan lover of craft beer. (I'm in Grand Haven)

I have a lifetime mug club membership at Odd Side Ales and you can find me in there frequently. I love our beer and beer community in Michigan and especially in West Michigan, and I'm looking forward to visiting your brewery when it's open.

I Just liked your brewery FB page. https://www.facebook.com/MaddogBrewhaus and I'll be sure to share it and see if we can start getting you some more likes and followers.

Once again... Welcome aboard and good luck with starting your brewery and with your goals here on MFP.

Cheers!!

Cheers!! I was wondering who the new like was. :bigsmile: Thanks man!

Name's Adam, btw. Or AJ. Maddog BrewHaus is gonna be a killer, one of a kind brewery. I have some crazy plans for the beer, and my kitchen manager has some good food on the menu. Excited to see where it's going to go. Plan is to open Veteran's Day, 2014.