Personal best on deads

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Tried 365lbs AGAIN and failed. This is after switching to light squats / heavy deads routine. Last week it was heavy squats / light deads.

I guess in two weeks, I'll try 355lbs and see what happens
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Tried 365lbs AGAIN and failed. This is after switching to light squats / heavy deads routine. Last week it was heavy squats / light deads.

I guess in two weeks, I'll try 355lbs and see what happens

What program or system are you using?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Nothing special. 135lbs for 6, 185lbs for 6, 225lbs for 6, 275lbs for 1, 315lbs for 1, 345lbs for 1, then tried 365lbs and failed.

It's usually some variation of that. Been able to increase the weight until now.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Went for a personal best on Monday at 455 lbs DL @ age 50. Failed. I ripped it off the ground and got it up to my knees but was a bit too far forward and wound up out of groove. Unfortunately, that night in Muay Thai I caught an upward arcing Thai kick up under my floating ribs. I wound up with bruised ribs as well as some bruising to the abdominal muscles underneath. Gonna have to mellow out and heal up before doing another max DL attempt. I've got the strength for it. I think I just gotta get used to the way the weight pulls you forward and set up my groove to compensate. I got this.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nothing special. 135lbs for 6, 185lbs for 6, 225lbs for 6, 275lbs for 1, 315lbs for 1, 345lbs for 1, then tried 365lbs and failed.

It's usually some variation of that. Been able to increase the weight until now.

If you keep running into a wall maybe you might need to change things up a little. If so, definitely get a copy of the Cube Method. It's definitely changed the way I approach my training and I've had good results. I actually have a thread / training journal in the Power Lifting section.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I finally did it! At another gym no less! 135 / 225 for reps. 275 / 315 / 335 for singles. Tried 360 and it went up easy. So went ahead and tried 365 and it went up easy! I have no idea what the difference is. I actually did heavy bench Sat and light bench tues. But this was the first time with CHALK. I've been having a hard time with the grip and have been using straps but I think it might have hurt the lifts. Been stuck at this weight for months! I think I could do 375 fairly easy and now I'm pumped to go after 405 soon!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nice work Jeff!
  • JNick77
    Options
    I finally did it! At another gym no less! 135 / 225 for reps. 275 / 315 / 335 for singles. Tried 360 and it went up easy. So went ahead and tried 365 and it went up easy! I have no idea what the difference is. I actually did heavy bench Sat and light bench tues. But this was the first time with CHALK. I've been having a hard time with the grip and have been using straps but I think it might have hurt the lifts. Been stuck at this weight for months! I think I could do 375 fairly easy and now I'm pumped to go after 405 soon!

Nice job. It's a great feeling when you pull and it comes off the ground like that and you just know you're locking that **** out.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Yup and yeah, feels great. I would have yelled out something but everyone in the gym would think I'm retarded.

I wish I knew what the difference was. I'm hoping it's as simple as using the chalk vs the straps.
  • danixfit
    danixfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just finished this cycle at 270x 6
  • AFilmer
    AFilmer Posts: 22
    Options
    body weight 140lbs

1 ROM deadlift 405lbs

no strap or chalk

I've never used a strap but I am thinking about it, is it worth buying one?

and if I use a strap often will this weaken my core muscles?
  • taso42
    Options
    you don't need straps. try the chalk and mixed grip. if i can pull 405 with just chalk, so can you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    you don't need straps. try the chalk and mixed grip. if i can pull 405 with just chalk, so can you.

Straps are useful for other movements like shrugs, or if your grip is your limiting factor while you're building it up, or if you're trying to do something relatively out of the ordinary (like ultra high rep sets of deadlift).

Over using them will hurt you in the long run.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Before chalk, the bar would slip out of my hands A LOT. thought it was my grip so I used straps. My Y frowns on chalk so I didn't use it. But I couldn't take it anymore as I didn't like the way I gripped the bar with the straps. I found some chalk that climbers use (in a bag) so it doesn't get everywhere. Made all the diff in the world.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Got 385lbs on the dead tonight. Another PB
  • 3sixtyFit
    Options
    Ripped a 455 double weighing 143
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    good numbers being thrown around here eh. good stuff people!

pulled 210kg x 3 x 3 last friday night. 462lbs in the old money.
    this week i'll be pulling three singles @ 223kg for a pb. and the week after should see me pull 235kg (517lbs) for a total of 15kg added to my PB from 10 weeks ago.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    good numbers being thrown around here eh. good stuff people!

pulled 210kg x 3 x 3 last friday night. 462lbs in the old money.
    this week i'll be pulling three singles @ 223kg for a pb. and the week after should see me pull 235kg (517lbs) for a total of 15kg added to my PB from 10 weeks ago.

That program is working a treat hey!

I pulled 220kgx5 and 230kgx3 in the last 2 weeks at 85kg BW. (1rm is 240kg) Wednesday I'm going for doubles at 240kg.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Did a 450 dead (conventional, raw, just a belt and a bit of chalk on the bar) at age 50 at a weight of 218.
    450 has been my goal for about a year, so I'm happy to have made that. Time to set a new goal of 480.
  • taso42
    Options
    Did a 450 dead (conventional, raw, just a belt and a bit of chalk on the bar) at age 50 at a weight of 218.
    450 has been my goal for about a year, so I'm happy to have made that. Time to set a new goal of 480.

Way to go! I'd love to get 450. So far 415 is my max