March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    You ladies look awesome great job.
    And welcome to all the new people.

As for the weight gain. Don't worry about it in the slightest. Most of it is going to be water weight being retained in the muscles trying to repair themselves. Not to mention there is probably some newbie muscle gains going on. In the case of newbies yes you can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit.

Also I did not begin seeing a change in the scale till about 2 months when the weight began to get really heavy. Now I cant get through 5 reps squatting without breathing really heavy my heart rate through the roof and sweating profusely. Feel like I'm getting way more cardio in than when I'm actually doing cardio.

Anyways, for me I did have an NSV today. I hadn't thought I had lost a full clothing size yet. I had tried on a pair of 34 jeans a couple weeks ago and yea I could get them on but breathing was hard. They are from buckle so there could be considerable vanity sizing issues going on there. Yes, that happens in mens clothing too. I don't know how 34 inches are different from brand to brand . Guess some people can't measure.

Well I was doing some spring cleaning and found a stack of 6 shorts that I had bought last year still with the tags on. I had bought them thinking they fit but I got home and realized they really didn't. I could have returned them but I thought I'll probably fit into them soon. After all I did fluctuate weight a lot when I was younger. But not this time. I just kept getting heavier. So I just locked them away.

Almost all year long is shorts weather so its not like I didn't have plenty of opportunity to wear them either. But since I was doing spring cleaning today and just happened to find them I thought what the hell. And all 6 fit even though they were different brands. A couple were even a little loose. Sooo excited that I don't have to go shopping for shorts now this year. Probably saved a couple hundred dollars mainly because I'm vain about my clothing and really only wear stuff from buckle which is over priced, but I like that they have someone helping you pick out stuff. Even though they are just trying to sell it to you. I feel like I come out looking better this way. I am horrible when it comes to picking stuff out on my own. My ex used to dress me lol.

TL;DR Wow that was way too long of an explanation to say. I fit into a lower size today.

Also just realized that my profile was set so that only my MFP friends could see it. So no wonder people were wondering if I was a lady or not because they couldnt just check. Because its not like my profile picture is me or anything. Although it would be really awesome if I was really calvin. Just thinking about that makes me want to go get a stuffed tiger and carry it around.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Lazy rest day here for me. Hubs had talked about going outside but...he's napping now, so we'll see. It's been a busy week for me, though, so I'm okay with a lazy day.

Rundoozer: Congrats on fitting into a smaller size! I love that feeling!

On that note I think I officially need to purge my closet. Put on a skirt today that looked downright ridiculous. A pencil skirt is not supposed to look all loose and sit that low on the hips.

All the pics I have seen look great, ladies! And whatever your issues are, whether it is the scale number, or frustrations with stalling on lifts, it all comes down to...patience. I know, it sucks, but it really does take a long time of being consistent, and also persistent, to see change. And if it doesn't show up on the scale, it will show up in measurements, and if it doesn't show up in measurements, it will show up in pictures, AND if it doesn't show up in pictures it will show up in clothes. I haven't really lost any pounds in the last few months, (well, I gained some through November and December and lost those again, so does that count?) and even my measurements seem about the same but for whatever reason my pants and skirts keep falling off of me. And I took some pics that confirm there are changes happening. So all I can say is, hang in there, be patient, keep feeding your body and pushing it to it's limits during workouts, and good things will happen.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @Graelwyn....Did you enjoy the boxing class? This is more gritty boxing....not like an organized class (which is why I think it's so much cheaper) and it's at a boxing club in my area. Everyone that I have ever known to box says it's no joke and at 3 hours/week plus SL I think I should see some pretty stellar results!

@Lex....you look so awesome! Great work!

@Julie....you look fantastic! Don't stress over 4oz...you probably needed to poop :happy: Your legs look great and I really think that as you progress further into the program you will see the results you are looking for. Concern for the 1200 though....I thought we had discussed this! Please make sure you are eating enough or your progress will stall :cry:

Oh and friend requests welcome!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

All the pics I have seen look great, ladies! And whatever your issues are, whether it is the scale number, or frustrations with stalling on lifts, it all comes down to...patience. I know, it sucks, but it really does take a long time of being consistent, and also persistent, to see change. And if it doesn't show up on the scale, it will show up in measurements, and if it doesn't show up in measurements, it will show up in pictures, AND if it doesn't show up in pictures it will show up in clothes. I haven't really lost any pounds in the last few months, (well, I gained some through November and December and lost those again, so does that count?) and even my measurements seem about the same but for whatever reason my pants and skirts keep falling off of me. And I took some pics that confirm there are changes happening. So all I can say is, hang in there, be patient, keep feeding your body and pushing it to it's limits during workouts, and good things will happen.

This x100! Well put jay!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    @Graelwyn....Did you enjoy the boxing class? This is more gritty boxing....not like an organized class (which is why I think it's so much cheaper) and it's at a boxing club in my area. Everyone that I have ever known to box says it's no joke and at 3 hours/week plus SL I think I should see some pretty stellar results!

@Lex....you look so awesome! Great work!

@Julie....you look fantastic! Don't stress over 4oz...you probably needed to poop :happy: Your legs look great and I really think that as you progress further into the program you will see the results you are looking for. Concern for the 1200 though....I thought we had discussed this! Please make sure you are eating enough or your progress will stall :cry:

I enjoyed the boxing part, but not all the crunches and squats and various other drop to the floor and do such and such parts of the class. I would be happy just focussing on the boxing, but I wanted the non contact aspect, I don't think I have the guts to venture into contact boxing, lol. Punching things was certainly a good way to deal with any pent up emotions.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

Well that is what I meant by deloading...bwahahah I did have to poop then I was back at the same weight I was at last sunday..so I didnt' lose any weight or gain...which I still don't get...but whatevah!

As for the 1200...well you know my TDEE is 1700...I just need to get a cut in there...I'm still pushing protein...a little disappointed that I didn't see a loss...

Oh and fr send

Gym badassery:

squat 5x5 90lbs
    bench 5x5 55lbs (upped 10lbs since I'm not doing smith machince)
    bbrows 5x5 55lbs had to deload 5lbs.
  • sampson2010
    sampson2010 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the warm welcome! I don't know why I was nervous to show my face.

@HIIT -- glad to hear someone else is trying the 100pushups app. Like I said, I've been struggling with whether to do it before or after my workout or at a different time of day altogether. I think you said you were going to try it before you lift -- my worry is that I might compromise my lifts by tiring myself out with push-ups first. Let me know how you find it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I think "don't get ill" is everyone's goal. It goes without saying.

re: Binge eating - I think binge eating happens to a HUGE number of people when they start to restrict calories for too hard or for too long, or even when they just start *thinking* about food a lot. Some of its body chemistry/hormones -your body starts sending you signals that you're STARVING. I think when you start to feel bingey on your diet its a good time to take a diet break and eat maintenance for 1-2 weeks and see if you can get those hormones to balance out again.

I was NEVER a binge eater before - I'm a nosher, I like a few bites of a lot of things. I have actually thrown out pints of ice cream because they got all weird and crystally before I finished them. But after cutting really hard for a month last year I would get these intense desires to eat and eat and EAT. I've also noticed that I like foods I used to dislike - like chow mein (used to think it was very gross, now I can eat a huge pile of it) or muffins (bleh) when I'm dieting. I think it really does mess bad with your brain chemistry.

As far as stress or sadness eating though - I'm actually a BIG believer in targeted stress eating. Like "I am having a crappy day, I am going to go and buy a big cupcake and eat the entire thing" (or whatever food you like that isn't gross like a cupcake - cake being another thing I like way more when dieting). Making it something where you are mentally PERMISSIVE ("I can have this entire cake if I want it") instead of something where you feel like "I should be restrictive but I just can't!" can make a huge huge HUGE difference for a lot of people. It takes away that "I feel so bad that I can't stop" feeling because you've made it ok - and really, chances are pretty good that almost anyone can fit an extra 2000 calories of cake into their month - if you dropped your calories by an extra 75/day you'd completely make up for it AND You'd have had a day where you actually felt happy because you had some yummy treat. The only rule I make is - no eating food you don't really love. If you don't have anything you love you have permission to go to the store and get it, but don't waste a treat on stuff that's meh.

I read this recently on the subject, and while I already had the above feelings (it came from a professor I had in college actually - behavioral psych - who felt like using food as an incentive or reward was a useful tool because most people react so strongly positive towards it) it kind of reminded me that it really is about how you feel. http://180degreehealth.com/2013/02/the-feedbag-method-how-to-beat-food-cravings-bingeing-and-emotional-eating

Thanks for sharing this. I am definitely going to keep it in mind and consider shifting my thinking more in this direction. also relate to binge eating getting worse or arising when restricting.

I think part of my issue is I get stuck in a very rigid pattern of eating when home, where once I am in control and having a good streak, I become totally afraid to break it by doing any of the things I do when at my mum's for a visit, like having a meal out, a bowl of cereal before bed, dessert etc. if i am to have a treat, I tend to like it to be a large treat, lol. I did for a time just have a chocolate bar each evening and that sort of worked, but I felt it was somehow detrimental to my efforts to get lean and healthy given the oh so bad things in non dark chocolate bars. If I have ice cream, I tend to want a whole pint, not a serving. And I love cake, unfortunately, especially chocolate fudge cake. But surrounded by people subscribing to clean eating, and the many studies about how bad these processed foods are for the body, it gets difficult. If I were not so darn lazy, I would explore the alternatives you can make yourself at home.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Did workout B today, and deadlifted 155. Yeah, I'm kinda awesome like that. My chinup resistance bands finally came so I was able to also do 3 sets of 5 reps with them. Weak, but its more than the 0 I did last week.

But afterwards I let a friend drag me to Zumba. It was fun, but I think that after a badass workout is going to make me hurt tomorrow.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    Did workout B today, and deadlifted 155. Yeah, I'm kinda awesome like that. My chinup resistance bands finally came so I was able to also do 3 sets of 5 reps with them. Weak, but its more than the 0 I did last week.

But afterwards I let a friend drag me to Zumba. It was fun, but I think that after a badass workout is going to make me hurt tomorrow.

Well dayum! 155 dl is like wow! and then zumba? thats a lot of badassery for one day...
  • RunDoozer
    Options

@chunkmunk 155 is awesome. Definitely badass.

Did a ton of cleaning today and pretty much have it all done. Feels good. Was almost like a workout. Maybe I should log it. >.<

Still haven't eaten today. Think Im just going to force myself to down 2 protein drinks with milk. That should take care of 1000 calories or so and about 104g of protein. Now just need to find something worth 1500 calories and 60g of protein.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Well something very strange has happened to me.

For the first time ever in my life emotional distress has lead me to not be hungry. Like NOT HUNGRY. I forced supper down and am only at 1000 cal for the day. Luckily I am worried about my protein so that does include just under 100 grams and I'll force down another 20 before bed but WTF?? This has been 2 days now. And I have to lift tomorrow. Ugh!

In a perverse sort of way it makes me happy? Sweet Jesus lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Did a ton of cleaning today and pretty much have it all done. Feels good. Was almost like a workout. Maybe I should log it. >.<

Still haven't eaten today. Think Im just going to force myself to down 2 protein drinks with milk. That should take care of 1000 calories or so and about 104g of protein. Now just need to find something worth 1500 calories and 60g of protein.

Sure could use a cleaner here, lol. I am terrible about housework, definitely not housewife material. Hate being stuck indoors in the daytime and usually too tired by evening to do much beyond vacuum.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Please come clean my condo! I'm such a bachelor and hate cleaning. The only rooms I regularly clean are the bathroom and kitchen. *sigh* Some day I will stop being lazy.

And congrats chunkmunk on pulling 155! Awesome, and I can't believe you followed that with zumba. You've definitely earned your rest day tomorrow.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Well something very strange has happened to me.

For the first time ever in my life emotional distress has lead me to not be hungry. Like NOT HUNGRY. I forced supper down and am only at 1000 cal for the day. Luckily I am worried about my protein so that does include just under 100 grams and I'll force down another 20 before bed but WTF?? This has been 2 days now. And I have to lift tomorrow. Ugh!

In a perverse sort of way it makes me happy? Sweet Jesus lol

Okay, I understand this. I have heard people say things like how they were "too upset to eat" and I honestly would have a hard time figuring out if I had EVER been too upset to eat. Ever.

But I actually have started to experience this, as well. I know what you mean, and I think it is a mixed blessing. Obviously it's not great that you are going through emotional distress. ((Hugs)) for what you're going through. But I think it is a sign of a shift in your attitude towards food, and that is a good thing. I think it's a sign of a healthier attitude towards food, and also an increased ability to handle emotions, possibly. If you were the type to eat through your emotions, then this is a sign that you are actually more able to handle the difficult emotions without trying to drown them with food.

So, sort of congratulations?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    @Vegas...aw hon, I'm sorry for whatever is going on...I totally understand this..this is what I do! there is a power in controling what goes in your mouth, not needing it. And when you are hurting...usually that is out of your control, having control over what goes in your mouth can make you feel powerful in a situation where you feel powerless. As simple as that. Try not to worry about it too much, you'll get your appetite back and you are striving for healthy, so you'll be ok.

feel better.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Thanks Ladies :smile: It is kind of a NSV in a really weird way and I think it does show how my relationship with food has changed. I know it will pass....I think it just kind of alarmed me to be honest and really this has never happened to me before so it might just take some getting used to.

Ugh I wonder if all these fat girl issues will ever go away :sad:
  • fishlover888
    Options
    You all rock so much! Have I said a million times yet how excited I am to be part of this community...

Day 3 for me! Saw something at the gym that made me laugh. Two dudes in between each set pulling up their shirts and shorts and checking out their abs, thighs etc in the mirror and even taking pictures of each other. They weren't speaking english but somehow I got the impression they were expecting to see an immediate change in their abs while working out! They didn't seem at all bothered by me being in there and the fact that I could see their boxer brief bulges...ew.. lol...

Also @Doozer I'm also in the market for someone to clean and do laundry, feel free to drop by...
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    @ all the picture posters - love the progress pics so motivating to see. Also WTG you guys for finding SL and finding visible results that are noticeable in such a short timeframe.

Foam roller has been purchased. Tightness is pretty bad after my last workout. I'm pushing the heavier numbers now. I'm having a lot of trouble with hip flexors and IT band. Now they are pulling my back out so have one problem side of my lower back that gets "out" from muscle tightness. Hopefully foam roller, steam room and stretching should help.

My question for you ladies and rundozer is should I continue powering through my next workout? My husband r
    Says muscles get used to this so he says power through. I'm concerned ill cause injury somehow if I don't get the muscle tightness reigned in.

Pretty excited I squatted 100 on Friday though! Was gonna hold steady as I'm having trouble not pronating my knees inward as I come up. So going to do that weight again tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling. Also victory on the rows I got DOMS in the all the right places after this last time.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    @ all the picture posters - love the progress pics so motivating to see. Also WTG you guys for finding SL and finding visible results that are noticeable in such a short timeframe.

Foam roller has been purchased. Tightness is pretty bad after my last workout. I'm pushing the heavier numbers now. I'm having a lot of trouble with hip flexors and IT band. Now they are pulling my back out so have one problem side of my lower back that gets "out" from muscle tightness. Hopefully foam roller, steam room and stretching should help.

My question for you ladies and rundozer is should I continue powering through my next workout? My husband r
    Says muscles get used to this so he says power through. I'm concerned ill cause injury somehow if I don't get the muscle tightness reigned in.

Pretty excited I squatted 100 on Friday though! Was gonna hold steady as I'm having trouble not pronating my knees inward as I come up. So going to do that weight again tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling. Also victory on the rows I got DOMS in the all the right places after this last time.

What are you doing for warm up sets?

My back is pretty tight most of the time. But i have really bad posture and I just dont think it's used to the weight. I would say as long as it's not painful then keep working through it.

Just make sure to warm up well and stretch. And just focus on your form and you should be fine.