Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I had reviewed the elite videos just recently and added the accessory lifts he recommended just this week. I do not have access to any of the machines they use so I'll have to improvise. The jts website won't load right now so I will check it out later.

I have been looking for a trainer that can help with powerlifting. Been through 4 so far. First one told me she doesn't do barbell lifting but if I come in when her boss wasn't around she could take a look at my form. NOT. Second one told me to point my toes straight ahead on the squat. Third one had me balancing on 2 tiny little bosu balls and doing air squats. The fourth told me I should be using a Smith machine to save my back. None of them have put me under a bar to do a squat. Didn't think it would be so hard to find a good trainer.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    your SSB on to the box actually looks ok, might even be something psychological about having the box under you.

You could try wrapping the bar with straps like Max Aita does here, make sure you make a good shelf on your upper back first otherwise this is going to go badly wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgTCxnDP7BU
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    your SSB on to the box actually looks ok, might even be something psychological about having the box under you.

You could try wrapping the bar with straps like Max Aita does here, make sure you make a good shelf on your upper back first otherwise this is going to go badly wrong!

I was looking at one of those. That actually looks more like a set of bars like the Top Squat:

dave-under-top-squat-store.jpg

I may get one of those too. I was wondering how you get a shelf going with your shoulder forward. And how you get good spinal position but that guy obviously did both.

The SSB lets me do something closer to a front squat. I can't get the bar in position for a front squat with my shoulder. The top squat would let me continue back squatting as well. Might be a good combo.

Tom
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I did low bar squats today. Pretty much the same form that I was trying to use with a high bar, but with the bar lower like it should be. WAY easier. Bar is over mid-foot, the weight felt lighter, and I didn't feel like tipping or that my heels wanted to come up. Here is a video of my first set:
    http://youtu.be/q3ZkXnNRiEw

I'm aware that I didn't go deep enough, but in the next set I lowered the safety bars and hit parallel (or below) and really got hip drive going. Relatively easy EXCEPT(!) my wrists were seriously sore. The hardest part by far was the stress in my wrists holding the bar in place. I have tendonitis in both wrists that occasionally flares, so they may be weaker than normal. Advice?

Another thing. I read a bunch of articles/opinions/whatever and I'm not sure if I should stick to low bar or not. Apparently it SHOULD be easier than high bar and that isn't necessarily a good thing. That there are better exercises for the posterior chain (romanian deadlift and good mornings were mentioned) and that I'm neglecting my quads with low bar. Honestly, I'm not sure how big I want my quads to be. Strong, yes, but big, not so much. I don't think that the curve of the quad into the knee looks feminine at all (for me and for me only). Thoughts? Should I try high bar with a lifted chest, arched back, and dropping my butt straight down rather than back and see if I can get that form right or go with what is now working?

THANKS!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I did low bar squats today. Pretty much the same form that I was trying to use with a high bar, but with the bar lower like it should be. WAY easier. Bar is over mid-foot, the weight felt lighter, and I didn't feel like tipping or that my heels wanted to come up. Here is a video of my first set:

I'm aware that I didn't go deep enough, but in the next set I lowered the safety bars and hit parallel (or below) and really got hip drive going. Relatively easy EXCEPT(!) my wrists were seriously sore. The hardest part by far was the stress in my wrists holding the bar in place. I have tendonitis in both wrists that occasionally flares, so they may be weaker than normal. Advice?

Another thing. I read a bunch of articles/opinions/whatever and I'm not sure if I should stick to low bar or not. Apparently it SHOULD be easier than high bar and that isn't necessarily a good thing. That there are better exercises for the posterior chain (romanian deadlift and good mornings were mentioned) and that I'm neglecting my quads with low bar. Honestly, I'm not sure how big I want my quads to be. Strong, yes, but big, not so much. I don't think that the curve of the quad into the knee looks feminine at all (for me and for me only). Thoughts? Should I try high bar with a lifted chest, arched back, and dropping my butt straight down rather than back and see if I can get that form right or go with what is now working?

THANKS!

There's a big debate over it, and I think it's horsecrap. Some folks get up on pedestals about how low bar is injury prone and you'll basically die of cancer of the black death if you squat low bar, whereas high bar is apparently the miracle lift that'll make you jacked as hell and cleanse you of all your sins.

Just squat.

If it's uncomfortable adjust. If some way is easier and you're hitting depth...do that.

I can't check the video yet but will later. To your question about wrist soreness, I bet you have a real close grip, try spreading it. You should be able to keep your back tight without your hands being super close.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    @lilawolf, I'm no expert but the progress you have made in a short time is remarkable. Awesome.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I was looking at one of those. That actually looks more like a set of bars like the Top Squat:

dave-under-top-squat-store.jpg

I may get one of those too. I was wondering how you get a shelf going with your shoulder forward. And how you get good spinal position but that guy obviously did both.

The SSB lets me do something closer to a front squat. I can't get the bar in position for a front squat with my shoulder. The top squat would let me continue back squatting as well. Might be a good combo.

Tom

One note I wanted to add, if your shoulders bother you on back squats, you don't HAVE to have such a narrow grip. Some powerlifters grip the bar extremely widely, like outside the power rack/monolift posts, almost at the very ends of the bar. As long as you can still make that shelf and keep it tight, I don't think it really matters. Might be more comfortable.

StanSqAttempts1-e1353566995212-294x300.jpg
  • tomcornhole
    Options

One note I wanted to add, if your shoulders bother you on back squats, you don't HAVE to have such a narrow grip. Some powerlifters grip the bar extremely widely, like outside the power rack/monolift posts, almost at the very ends of the bar. As long as you can still make that shelf and keep it tight, I don't think it really matters. Might be more comfortable.

I start with an empty bar and grip is as wide as I can and not risk pinching my hands when I re-rack. That still hurts like hades. Each set I narrow it but it stay pretty wide and my wrists never stop bending. Not even close. If you look at my video, they are bent way back. My shoulders hurt like hell and my wrists hurt like hell. And as I get into the hole, I think the inflexibility in my shoulders AND hamstrings pulls me out of extension, winks my butt and makes it nearly impossible to push out of the hole.

That Top Squat is on the way so I will be able to try back squats without my shoulders getting in the way. I'll see what happens and go from there.

Tom
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I start with an empty bar and grip is as wide as I can and not risk pinching my hands when I re-rack. That still hurts like hades. Each set I narrow it but it stay pretty wide and my wrists never stop bending. Not even close. If you look at my video, they are bent way back. My shoulders hurt like hell and my wrists hurt like hell. And as I get into the hole, I think the inflexibility in my shoulders AND hamstrings pulls me out of extension, winks my butt and makes it nearly impossible to push out of the hole.

That Top Squat is on the way so I will be able to try back squats without my shoulders getting in the way. I'll see what happens and go from there.

Tom

*nod* I see what you mean now that I review the video. I was just suggesting an even-wider grip, like putting your hands on the collars outside the rack. Even if it's just for an experiment.

Have you ever tried one of those cambered bars?

normal_100_0553.jpg
    cambered_squat_bar_.jpg

The 2nd one especially, the first one is similar to the SSB except for hand placement.

But yeah, that top squat thingie looks useful and right up your alley.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

THANKS!

Your form has taken leaps and bounds in the right direction. Nice work.

As far as the whole squat debate thing, meh. Squat however you want, as long as you squat. If you want more posterior chain work, add in RDLs or good mornings as an accessory exercise, that's what most people do. Personally I don't think they are good replacements for the main lift though. They are good complimentary exercises though, IMO.

As for your wrists, make sure you aren't supporting the weight with your hands, all/most of the weight should be on your shoulders. Try to position your arms/hands so that your wrists stay as straight as possible. If that doesn't help, get wrist wraps to give your wrists some more support.
  • DYELB
    Options

Tom

Try squatting (just the bar) with just your index finger on the bar. Your arms shouldn't be holding the weight up, merely providing a small bookstop to keep the bar from rolling off your shoulders.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I have been looking for a trainer that can help with powerlifting. Been through 4 so far. First one told me she doesn't do barbell lifting but if I come in when her boss wasn't around she could take a look at my form. NOT. Second one told me to point my toes straight ahead on the squat. Third one had me balancing on 2 tiny little bosu balls and doing air squats. The fourth told me I should be using a Smith machine to save my back. None of them have put me under a bar to do a squat. Didn't think it would be so hard to find a good trainer.

Just a thought, it might be easier to find a local powerlifting trainer/coach by going to a local competition and chatting with people you meet there.
  • tomcornhole
    Options

Just a thought, it might be easier to find a local powerlifting trainer/coach by going to a local competition and chatting with people you meet there.

Great idea. There is a Push/Pull here in April. I will attend and chat up the folks there. Might even get brave enough to compete.

Thanks, Tom
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I need to get video of my recent Sumo off my camera and uploaded but in the meantime could I please get some critique on my bench? I've never been concerned with my bench form but I'm venturing into uncharted territory. I wanted to get some video before I failed and/or hurt myself. I used my phone and it worked pretty good. Please tell me what you think.
    Front view 195x5:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r1VPwAaoTA

Sideview 225x3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRG3p3KRLe8

Thanks
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I can't quite see your hand position on the bar but you have some room to experiment with regards to grip width. Good reference here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

THANKS!

Squat in a way you are comfortable squatting and get stronger at the squat. If you're concerned about imbalances in development you can address elsewhere in the program. Nothing wrong with experimenting later on if you want to try a different bar placement but as of now your technique is coming along nicely and if I were you, I'd stick with low bar for a while. Not because it's better, but because you're making progress.
  • DYELB
    Options
    I need to get video of my recent Sumo off my camera and uploaded but in the meantime could I please get some critique on my bench? I've never been concerned with my bench form but I'm venturing into uncharted territory. I wanted to get some video before I failed and/or hurt myself. I used my phone and it worked pretty good. Please tell me what you think.
    Front view 195x5:

Sideview 225x3

Thanks

1) You've got forward drift at the bottom, it looks like you're bringing it down to your chest but pressing it to over your eyes. Keep the bar in a straight path.
    2) You don't have much leg drive, you can see in the front view that your quads aren't flexing. Draw your feet up towards your head further (it should be uncomfortable) and do like a leg extension when you're pressing. It'll drive your back into the bench and give you a little more force on the bar.
    3) For a second I thought those were jorts. If they were I wouldn't have commented.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Squat form check please! This was my last set so I was tired. The second rep was definitely too far forward so please focus on the first and last.

THANKS!!!

http://youtu.be/MUmPw8GM-Vo

Try angling your right foot out just a little bit more.

Also try dropping the weight some (like 95 pounds) and doing squats with your heels on 2.5 pound weights and see how that feels.

Because my heels are just starting to lift off the ground? Thank you for your input. I'll try it tomorrow when I lift again.

Someone pointed out that the bar is not over midfoot. They said that my torso is at the correct angle but my hips and knees are too far forward:
    zB7as7x.jpg

I tried everything today: Purposely trying to stick my butt out further, trying to lean back, trying to keep my knees from going forward by dropping my butt straight down, wider stance, heels on plates, toes pointed further out, etc. The wider stance helped with just the bar but not with weight (I did 95 then 75lbs down from 105) and it was much more difficult. Any advice would be appreciated!

Just for clarification, the above pic isn't from a side view entirely, so we can't accurately assess the bar position relative the midfoot. It does look forward of midfoot here but we can't really see this clearly unless the pic or video is taken exactly at a side view.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Front view 195x5:

Sideview 225x3

Thanks

1) You've got forward drift at the bottom, it looks like you're bringing it down to your chest but pressing it to over your eyes. Keep the bar in a straight path.

Are you referring to the slight J curve on the way up?
  • DYELB
    Options
    Front view 195x5:

Sideview 225x3

Thanks

Are you referring to the slight J curve on the way up?

Yeah, I don't like it. I'm familiar with the argument that it allows you to use more of your back, but all I've ever seen with it is people losing momentum on the drive.

An exception would be Captain Kirk...and he can do whatever the hell he wants.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

2) You don't have much leg drive, you can see in the front view that your quads aren't flexing. Draw your feet up towards your head further (it should be uncomfortable) and do like a leg extension when you're pressing. It'll drive your back into the bench and give you a little more force on the bar.
    3) For a second I thought those were jorts. If they were I wouldn't have commented.

Hahaha! Definitely NOT "jorts"! ..."Borts" maybe (Board Shorts, surf swim trunks).
    Thanks.
    Leg drive is something new to me and obviously something I'm still not comfortable with. I'll keep working at it.
    And regarding bar path. That's another something I'm just learning. When I "learned" to bench back in highschool or college I was taught to lower to the nipples and press the bar up to above your eyes. I've recently seen/read about a straighter bar path. On lower weight I definitely press in a straighter line but with heavier sets I obviously resort back to old habits.
    Thanks again.