Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Here is my video, just started back doing Stronglifts and I am squatting 70 lbs here. Not sure on my form and would love some help. I have horrible DOMS in my quads and hardly any in my hamstrings and glutes. Does that mean I am not going low enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVyg4V8_kxU

Thanks for your help!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    susanmc31 wrote: »
    Hi all! Here is my video, just started back doing Stronglifts and I am squatting 70 lbs here. Not sure on my form and would love some help. I have horrible DOMS in my quads and hardly any in my hamstrings and glutes. Does that mean I am not going low enough?

Thanks for your help!

Your depth looks decent for just getting back into things! Here are a few things I notice....

1. Get different shoes to squat in, something with a flat sole and un-raised heel.
    2. Hard to tell your leg stance but you may want to go a bit wider as you're doing a low bar position squat. (this will also engage your hamstrings more.)
    3. Brace your core as if you were bearing down and then take a deep breathe in before you initiate the squat. This will give you a lot more stability and power.
    4. Focus on squeezing your glutes together as hard as you ascend from the bottom of your squat.

• susanmc31
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks @jmule24!

I had wondered about my shoes if they could have been the wrong ones for lifting. I will look into new shoes this weekend. I see some people wearing converse sneakers, would those be a good option?

My stance is pretty much shoulder length, next time I squat I will take a video from the front and I will try a wider stance.

I have the other points noted and will make sure I focus on my tightening my core before I initiate my squat.

Thank you so much for all the advice!
  • jmule24
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks @jmule24!

I had wondered about my shoes if they could have been the wrong ones for lifting. I will look into new shoes this weekend. I see some people wearing converse sneakers, would those be a good option?

My stance is pretty much shoulder length, next time I squat I will take a video from the front and I will try a wider stance.

I have the other points noted and will make sure I focus on my tightening my core before I initiate my squat.

I use Converse myself. Some people prefer a harder sole. You can get a very inexpensive pair at Walmart that are knock of Converse to try out. If you want a harder sole you'll need to come to terms with spending about $80-$150 on Olympic/crossfit style shoes.

If your stand is only shoulder width, I'd try moving it out another two inches and point your toes out a bit like 30 degree angle. You'd be surprised how much that can help with squat depth as it should allow your hips to open up a bit more.

• jmule24
    Options
    Thanks @jmule24!

If you go to Page 40 you'll see my squat video. My camera angle isn't the best but watch my second rep how I brace and take a deep breath.

Hope that helps!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Not sure on my form and would love some help. I have horrible DOMS in my quads and hardly any in my hamstrings and glutes. Does that mean I am not going low enough?

Depth is a bit shallow but the biggest thing I see is your bar path. Path should be straight up and down, not sure what to suggest for help with that though. Flat shoes and slightly different foot position may help. Maybe when starting your decent think about sitting back and then when coming up think up trying to get your hips under the bar and chest up (for me, when coming up I think about pushing the bar up and back with my back/shoulders and squeezing my glutes, YMMV).
    RE: Quad Doms
    I'm guessing that's because currently your quads are your "weak link".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVyg4V8_kxU

Thanks for your help!

Finally, someone that squats as badly as I do.

First thing, as mentioned, is footwear. I'd try barefoot for giggles. That was one of the biggest things for me. Opening your hips and dropping your body down between your legs instead of just leaning forward will help a lot too. Forward lean should be dictated by the bar's position. You should lean forward as you drop down to keep the bar path in a straight line centered over your center-of-gravity. In this case, you're just leaning forward and pushing the bar path forward of your COG which is causing your technique to suffer and the lift is harder as a result.
  • susanmc31
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

I use Converse myself. Some people prefer a harder sole. You can get a very inexpensive pair at Walmart that are knock of Converse to try out. If you want a harder sole you'll need to come to terms with spending about $80-$150 on Olympic/crossfit style shoes.

If your stand is only shoulder width, I'd try moving it out another two inches and point your toes out a bit like 30 degree angle. You'd be surprised how much that can help with squat depth as it should allow your hips to open up a bit more.

I will look into those shoes but I might try going barefoot first like @DopeItUp mentioned. I tried doing bodyweight squats with the wider stance and I found I couldn't get down that far. I was dealing with a very grouchy 19 month old and probably wasn't paying enough attention. I am going to continue to work on that. Thanks for the advice, I will post another video with all the changes mentioned. I might hire a personal trainer for 3 sessions to see if they can help me too. Thanks again for all the help!

• susanmc31
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

Depth is a bit shallow but the biggest thing I see is your bar path. Path should be straight up and down, not sure what to suggest for help with that though. Flat shoes and slightly different foot position may help. Maybe when starting your decent think about sitting back and then when coming up think up trying to get your hips under the bar and chest up (for me, when coming up I think about pushing the bar up and back with my back/shoulders and squeezing my glutes, YMMV).
    RE: Quad Doms
    I'm guessing that's because currently your quads are your "weak link".

Thanks for the advice @_benjammin, I watched the video again and I definitely see what you mean about the bar path - it is all over the place. I do try to think of sitting back initially but I just didn't know how to coordinate my decent and return properly. I always feel like my lower body is straightening first then I hinge my upper body to stand up (hope that makes sense). I will focus more and try to get my hips under the bar while I'm coming back up.
  • susanmc31
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

First thing, as mentioned, is footwear. I'd try barefoot for giggles. That was one of the biggest things for me. Opening your hips and dropping your body down between your legs instead of just leaning forward will help a lot too. Forward lean should be dictated by the bar's position. You should lean forward as you drop down to keep the bar path in a straight line centered over your center-of-gravity. In this case, you're just leaning forward and pushing the bar path forward of your COG which is causing your technique to suffer and the lift is harder as a result.

Haha, this gave me a good laugh.

I will give barefoot a try, better to do that then buy new shoes if I don't have to. I am going to deload a bit a give that a try. I do low bar squats because I feel like I am being pushed forward and go up on my toes with the high bar version - I will give your suggestions a try and see if there is any improvement. Thanks for the help!

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Haha, this gave me a good laugh.

I will give barefoot a try, better to do that then buy new shoes if I don't have to. I am going to deload a bit a give that a try. I do low bar squats because I feel like I am being pushed forward and go up on my toes with the high bar version - I will give your suggestions a try and see if there is any improvement. Thanks for the help!

You might wanna ask the gym management about the barefoot thing first. Some places are really stingy about it (with reason, to be honest). It was rather embarassing when I was doing it the one time and the gym guy came to me almost yelling "You can't be here in just your socks!" like I'd broken the biggest rule they have. It's probably a liability thing.

If you're having a hard time pushing the weight back up in a single movement, I'd suggest trying the "reverse" cue of thinking you are bracing against the bar to push your heels into the ground. Your body will want to work towards pushing the bar up, rather than just unfolding your legs because you're trying to stand up. Hope it helps!
  • susanmc31
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

You might wanna ask the gym management about the barefoot thing first. Some places are really stingy about it (with reason, to be honest). It was rather embarassing when I was doing it the one time and the gym guy came to me almost yelling "You can't be here in just your socks!" like I'd broken the biggest rule they have. It's probably a liability thing.

If you're having a hard time pushing the weight back up in a single movement, I'd suggest trying the "reverse" cue of thinking you are bracing against the bar to push your heels into the ground. Your body will want to work towards pushing the bar up, rather than just unfolding your legs because you're trying to stand up. Hope it helps!

Good point! I am heading to the gym after work and I will ask them about their policy regarding being barefoot.

The reverse thinking is an interesting way of doing it and I am going to give it a try. Hopefully with all these tips I will be able to do a proper squat!

Thanks for the help!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Re: Shoes
    I squat barefoot at home but also go to gyms and have to wear shoes. I got generic Chuck's from Walmart. Some great squatters wear the cheapest shoes (eg. Greg Nuckols and Chad Wesley Smith). Yep, I'm like a great squatter. ;-) lol
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    For the love of Elune do not bear down unless you want something to prolapse. Try to push out as if you knew you were going to get sucker punched.

Your quads are feeling the most doms because you're squatting high with anterior knee movement (basically what others said about bar path moving forward.)

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For a cheap "barefoot" feel, you can try water shoes. I got some at Walmart for $5 to deadlift in.
  • susanmc31
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    For a cheap "barefoot" feel, you can try water shoes. I got some at Walmart for $5 to deadlift in.

I actually do have a pair of water shoes. That's a great idea. I did go barefoot yesterday with no issues but I feel like my form is still off. I think I just have to continue to practice. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1goZP1r7AY

Ok, it's been a while. Have a look and let me know what you think. My lower back was a bit sore today from some remodeling around the house this weekend but I did my best.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    @smittybuilt19 I skipped to the last set (warmups don't show as much) but it looks good! You turned the proper shade of red. B)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Looking strong Smitty. You squat better than I do. I'm jealous.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious if that was a squishy mat standing on with those good shoes - feet seemed to rock around a bit, almost back on heels a few times under heavy load?

Looked good - even with discussions of how bars aren't useful going on around you.