Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Back squat. Low weight because I've been trying to get my form down. My safeties are too low (bench ht) but I wasn't worried I'd have to bail at this weight.
    http://youtu.be/n1U18UgnCBM
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue

The biggest issue I see is that you're doing a bit of a calf raise before you descend into the squat. At very heavy loads this could become problematic and it also doesn't really provide you with any benefit.

Could also stand to take a deeper breath and tighten up a bit more before you begin the descent.

Other than that, looks decent.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks, @SideSteel . I noticed that calf raise thing while watching the video. Not sure why/when I started doing that. I will have to practice screwing my feet into the floor & the deeper breaths.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I cringe to put this up because I have struggled with DL form for so long. But, here is 185Lbs.
    http://youtu.be/jbolCw6KH1s
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I cringe to put this up because I have struggled with DL form for so long. But, here is 185Lbs.

If you pause in your starting position you will notice that your scapula is behind the barbell.

Ideally you want of the scapula directly above the barbell in your starting position because that's where it needs to be before the bar leaves the floor.

And you will notice that as you start applying force into the barbell your hips rise and your scapula moves over the barbell before the bar leaves the floor.

This is your body migrating to the position it needs to be in in order to lift the barbell.

You need to position yourself such that you set the scapula over the barbell at the start of the lift.

Finally, doublecheck to make sure that the barbell is directly over the center of your feet.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks, I'll work on that starting position. I used to have issues with my shoulders being in front of the bar so I'd been trying to get them back, plus pull the slack out of my arms.
    The bar is over the middle of my foot. I check this rack and every time. Camera angle prob can't show this.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

If you pause in your starting position you will notice that your scapula is behind the barbell.

Ideally you want of the scapula directly above the barbell in your starting position because that's where it needs to be before the bar leaves the floor.

And you will notice that as you start applying force into the barbell your hips rise and your scapula moves over the barbell before the bar leaves the floor.

This is your body migrating to the position it needs to be in in order to lift the barbell.

You need to position yourself such that you set the scapula over the barbell at the start of the lift.

Finally, doublecheck to make sure that the barbell is directly over the center of your feet.

Yup. Just take that position that your body is forcing itself into at the start of the pull and intentionally start like that from now on. In order to pull a heavy weight you have to be balanced so your body is going to find that point automatically, regardless. Easy fix!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    is that a board or a pad you are standing on - feet really rocked there at lock out as weight shifted towards back of foot, front of foot start to come up, seemed to curl sideways a bit, like outside of foot rolled a bit too outwards.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    No board. It's carpet over concrete slab. Should I make a plywood deck?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Nice thick carpet with thick pad, great for the feeling of walking on?
    Perhaps.

Thin covering for the cold, but not much to it?
    Nah.

What appears to be a foot roll outwards could just indicate you have a little more space to spread feet out for better non-moving foundation.
    If arms hanging straight down and already rubbing sides of calves, then I guess not.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No board. It's carpet over concrete slab. Should I make a plywood deck?

It's hard to say. To me it just looks like you are locking out aggressively, leaning back (weight on heels) and really pushing hips through. Could always try some plywood and see if it feels any different.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    It's commercial carpet with pad under it. I think what @DopeItUp says is what's going on. My weight goes back on my heels at lockout and it pulls my toes up. I can try some plywood to see how that is.
  • krishna1abc
    krishna1abc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I started with stronglifts and would like to get some feedback on my squats. I feel like my bar path is little off from vertical and looks like I am bending forward. As the weights are getting heavier I feel the loss of form and slight lower back pain. Myself 5'5 and 142 lbs. Here I am squatting 185 lbs. Really appreciate your feedback and tips to improve.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=lM1gK2WedSM&feature=youtu.be
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^Bar path and hips don't look too bad. What needs work is depth and breathing. You are taking a big chest breath, take a belly breath and brace your core. I'd recommend dropping the weight in half. Work on belly breathing and squat deeper.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I agree with what benjammin said. If possible, take a video from the back (or front, for that matter) so we can see what your stance looks like. My guess - and that's all this is, is a guess at this point - is that you could put your feet a little wider, which would help in making room for you to get to depth.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the depth? It looks solid to me.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

It's not to/past parallel.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

If the goal is to squat at or below parallel, the squats were a bit shallow.

( That's not always the goal with everyone all the time)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It looks parallel to me and form looks good. Maybe a sight heel raise can get him lower?