Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    oqutc0flyj9f.png
    rileyes wrote: »
    It looks parallel to me and form looks good. Maybe a sight heel raise can get him lower?

Depends on what the limiting factors are in him hitting depth.

I only watched it once but I thought it was above parallel on most reps.

• SideSteel
    Options
    yoeckr74scae.png

I attempted to pause it at the bottom, this is the last rep of the set.
  • krishna1abc
    krishna1abc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your comments. So looks like I should be going deeper than I think I am. I agree that I am breathing into the chest, I will try to breath into gut. I would like to know if there are any cues you follow to get the depth. How to know when is the right time to start pushing up. Also please let me know if I am leaning forward. I will cut down the weight and post a video again. Really appreciate your help!!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^ I too had too much weight on the bar before realizing I wasn't going low enough.
    I found something (I work out at home, used a small cooler) the right height so when my but touched it, I was at/below parallel. Not a true Box Squat, just as soon as I felt the cooler, start back up.
    As far as forward lean, doesn't seem extreme. Lean will be highly individual based on bar position on your back, ankle mobility, hip structure and femur length. High bar squats keep you more upright, low bar more lean.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    In addition to what Ben said, whether or not forward lean is a problem depends on what happens to bar path and other potential movement dysfunctions. For example if you're leaning forward and the barbell goes forward of midfoot, and your heels come up, that's a big problem.

If you're leaning forward but the bar stays over midfoot and your heels stay planted, and your spine angle doesn't drastically change when you come out of the hole, then that's just how you squat and it's basically not a big deal, IMO.

I tend to squat very upright for a low-bar squat.
  • krishna1abc
    Options
    Here is the new one from today's workout. I reduced the weight to 115lbs. I noticed a couple of things today. After unracking, the bar is not on top of my mid-foot (a little behind), so I tried to move my hips back a bit before I squat down. Please let me know if there are other ways to get the bar on top of mid-foot before beginning to squat. Second is breathing into the gut - I see that I am breathing more into chest than the stomach. Are there any cues you follow? I was able to breath more into the stomach before unracking the bar than afterwards for subsequent reps. Thanks a ton for your help!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cofNUQFlo&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share
  • krishna1abc
    Options
    Below is my Deadlifts today -165lbs. I could only do 3 though I aimed for 5 as felt like I am loosing the grip. Really appreciate your feedback and tips/cues to improve.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBIpSnmgMrA&feature=youtu.be
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    @krishna1abc
    Squat looks much, much better. Belly breathing just takes practice and conscious effort. Hips back to get bar over mid foot is a good cue. Just be aware of where you feel pressure in your foot. As long as you don't feel like you are on your toes or heels, you're good.
    Deadlift, I was miserable at conventional and switch to sumo nearly 2 years ago and still struggle with proper set up and form. The only thing I could recommend is watch tutorial videos, keep videoing yourself, and consider doing each rep from a dead stop rather than touch-and-go.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Here's a squat from my 1RM testing last week. I've never competed before, but would I be red lighted for depth here? I think it looks a bit high. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/zAyA9wnwLZ4
  • krishna1abc
    Options
    Thanks _benjammin. Really appreciate your feedback. I started looking at Alan Thrall's tutorials on deadlifts and getting the information right.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a squat from my 1RM testing last week. I've never competed before, but would I be red lighted for depth here? I think it looks a bit high. Thanks!

Looks like you broke parallel to me. I kept hitting pause, and it looked like you were right at parallel on my last pause, then dipped just a little more after I resumed playback.

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

A few pages back (February I think) I posted my squat and general consensus was good, but shallow, initiating with an arch and a bit of butt wink and some potential knee cave (have reposted the video below to save you scrolling).

Since then I tried to work on those things and essentially completely forgot how to squat. I have eventually regained something resembling a squat but would appreciate your feedback.

The video has a side shot and one from further away.

I *hope* I have worked on your suggestions, the main think I've worked on is depth, so please tell me that I'm now ok with that!!

I took a lot of weight off and this is 2 sets of 45kg working back up (I'm on 5x5 again).

From the side I don't see butt wink (although admittedly it is a terrible shot) but I see it from behind - I don't know if it's just because I have a big bum?!

I won't be offended if you tell me my old squat was better, it's a work in progress!

Cheers,
    Steph

New squat:

https://youtu.be/Xe7MtQSDZ2w

Old squat:

https://youtu.be/aG3_1UPMXeo
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ^ New squat looks better to me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    From the side I don't see butt wink (although admittedly it is a terrible shot) but I see it from behind - I don't know if it's just because I have a big bum?!

A little butt wink is harmless. It looks worse than it really is because you kinda arch your lower back just before you descend (which personally i avoid).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squat looks great, depth looks good too. Nice work.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Thanks guys. Thank god. It's been a depressing 5 months!

Still trying to stop that intial arch. I can't seem to take a belly breath without tilting my pelvis.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Still trying to stop that intial arch. I can't seem to take a belly breath without tilting my pelvis.

What helps me is to breathe, THEN flex glutes, pushing hips forward just before descending. On video it looks like you're just standing up strong/tall right before the descent.

Otherwise, my squats look much like your "before" video.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

What helps me is to breathe, THEN flex glutes, pushing hips forward just before descending. On video it looks like you're just standing up strong/tall right before the descent.

Ok that makes total sense. For some reason I was focused on the fact that taking the breath had to be the last thing I did before descending which now I've thought about it is ridiculous!

I will breathe and then sort my tilt out before starting.

I always see you complaining about your squat :) it helps me to know that experienced lifters still have things they're not happy with
  • SideSteel
    Options

Ok that makes total sense. For some reason I was focused on the fact that taking the breath had to be the last thing I did before descending which now I've thought about it is ridiculous!

I always see you complaining about your squat :) it helps me to know that experienced lifters still have things they're not happy with

You should see my deadlift lololololooooooooolllooololoool

• DopeItUp
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

You should see my deadlift lololololooooooooolllooololoool

Your deadlift looks 1000x better than my squat.