Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Stephie - I wish my deadlift looked as good as yours.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You have really solid technique.

Hard for me to tell on the squat, a couple of reps looked good and one looked a bit shy.

If I were coaching you and you were prepping for a USAPL meet I would likely have you go slightly deeper to make certain you are below parallel without any judge having any question about it.

If you were not prepping for a meet I would be fine with where it is.

Deadlift looks good to me.

haven't checked OHP yet =)

I agree with Patrick but the thing that stood out to me was your deadlifts. Your bodily form looks good but the bar path is very odd. It goes back and then forward again (kinda a Z-shaped bar path). The forward motion at the end appears to be you getting your hips through (maybe a big exaggeratedly) but the backwards movement is kinda perplexing. It actually looks even worse on the eccentric, like you're just rolling the bar down your thighs instead of reversing the deadlift motion.

I'm not really sure as to the cause though, or if it's even a legit problem. The only thing I can think of is that you're late on getting your hips through. The bar looks like it passes your knees and starts going backwards before you start pushing your hips through, which then (eventually) pushes the bar forward again. Again, not sure if this is a real problem other than efficiency, a straight bar path is going to be the most efficient (and thus the most powerful).

I welcome critique of my analysis because I'm a little puzzled, myself.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Hard for me to tell on the squat, a couple of reps looked good and one looked a bit shy.

If I were coaching you and you were prepping for a USAPL meet I would likely have you go slightly deeper to make certain you are below parallel without any judge having any question about it.

It actually looks even worse on the eccentric, like you're just rolling the bar down your thighs instead of reversing the deadlift motion.

Erm... so you're saying this is not what I should be doing :# oopsie

I guess I'll try not to do that!!! I'm not sure what I'm doing on the way up to cause the zig zag (the top is definitely hips, but should be simple to fix). I will try to push my hips through earlier (and less exaggerated) to see if this helps

Thanks!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @StephieWillcox I have a similar issue right past the knees. I've found it tends to happen more when my lats aren't as engaged. YMMV ofc, but another thing to try.

In general in this thread I see a lot of exaggerated lockout/lumber hyperextension. While there isn't anything wrong with this per se, it can lead to SI issues for a lot of people especially women since our ligaments are more lax in general.

And another "in general" someone above posted that some butt wink isn't an issue. While I would agree that this probably won't cause a severe acute injury weighted flexion causes wear and tear on the ligament holding your spinal discs in their disc like shape. When it breaks down disc herniations and the like occur. Of course a large chunk of people will develop herniations at some point, and another chunk of those will experience no pain and probably never know they have them. It's not something I would lose sleep over, but it is something I would work on correcting over time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I agree with Patrick but the thing that stood out to me was your deadlifts. Your bodily form looks good but the bar path is very odd. It goes back and then forward again (kinda a Z-shaped bar path). The forward motion at the end appears to be you getting your hips through (maybe a big exaggeratedly) but the backwards movement is kinda perplexing. It actually looks even worse on the eccentric, like you're just rolling the bar down your thighs instead of reversing the deadlift motion.

I'm not really sure as to the cause though, or if it's even a legit problem. The only thing I can think of is that you're late on getting your hips through. The bar looks like it passes your knees and starts going backwards before you start pushing your hips through, which then (eventually) pushes the bar forward again. Again, not sure if this is a real problem other than efficiency, a straight bar path is going to be the most efficient (and thus the most powerful).

Here's my evaluation of it having taken another look:

I think this is caused by an overexaggurated lockout. The eccentric issue is caused by bending at the knees early so the barbell has to round the knees.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Another try from me?

Trying very hard to keep scapulae depressed. Not sure if successful. I think hips are still rising too early and not sure how to correct that. This is my 5th set, 105 lbs. Sorry the last rep got cut off, my phone ran out of memory.

https://youtu.be/gWB2QMAaJkY
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I think this is caused by an overexaggurated lockout. The eccentric issue is caused by bending at the knees early so the barbell has to round the knees.

I agree on the lockout and the eccentric thing (that should have been obvious, I used to have the same problem on the eccentric). So basically the only thing remaining comes down to nitpicking that little bit of backwards movement on the concentric. It doesn't even look like a real problem at the moment but I'm thinking it may result in further form issues or even balance issues once the weight gets heavy enough. Maybe? I know for me, personally, my deadlift has really excelled once I began consistently moving the bar in a perfectly straight path.

Here's a random warmup set from last night (390 I think?) for an example, pretty much up and down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=featx9TRXi4
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

I agree on the lockout and the eccentric thing (that should have been obvious, I used to have the same problem on the eccentric). So basically the only thing remaining comes down to nitpicking that little bit of backwards movement on the concentric. It doesn't even look like a real problem at the moment but I'm thinking it may result in further form issues or even balance issues once the weight gets heavy enough. Maybe? I know for me, personally, my deadlift has really excelled once I began consistently moving the bar in a perfectly straight path.

Here's a random warmup set from last night (390 I think?) for an example, pretty much up and down:

Are you talking about the backwards bit about half way up? I think that is because I'm so focused on trying to keep the bar close to my shins that as I extend I'm still pulling it close and I have no shins left to pull into, so there's a bit of an adjustment once I'm past my knees.

Your warm up deadlifts looked so smooth and easy!! I doubt 390 will ever be in my grasp :) but next session is 200 (90kg) which I'll be pretty happy with.

I'll try to work on this stuff and no doubt will be back in a month with another video! Thanks all
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Are you talking about the backwards bit about half way up? I think that is because I'm so focused on trying to keep the bar close to my shins that as I extend I'm still pulling it close and I have no shins left to pull into, so there's a bit of an adjustment once I'm past my knees.

Your warm up deadlifts looked so smooth and easy!! I doubt 390 will ever be in my grasp :) but next session is 200 (90kg) which I'll be pretty happy with.

I'll try to work on this stuff and no doubt will be back in a month with another video! Thanks all

Yeah at the end of the day, like I said, I'm not even sure if it's a real problem. It's just something to look at I suppose. I know you are quite strong (especially if you are looking at 200 right now) and at that kind of strength level, every little bit of technique can help. Diminishing returns and all that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @DopeItUp - do you think it's the same reason for the zigzag on the way down too?

I had to go back and review again too, plates hide some of the action, but it appears knees are going out before bar gets past them, so they like hit the thighs first, now have to get past the already bent knees, then back again following shins down.

@StephieWilcox - I'm really surprised that with that much weight it's not naturally wanting to do a straight bar path anyway - which shows some good supporting muscles strength to be moving it around like that anyway.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Another try from me?

Trying very hard to keep scapulae depressed. Not sure if successful. I think hips are still rising too early and not sure how to correct that. This is my 5th set, 105 lbs. Sorry the last rep got cut off, my phone ran out of memory.

https://youtu.be/gWB2QMAaJkY

Bump for me? Pretty please?
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here's a front view of my 365x7 squats tonight sans shoes and knee sleeves so you can see if I have any knee or ankle collapse. Do you think my form or stability could be improved with lifting shoes? @sidesteel

• SideSteel
    Options
    Honestly that looks pretty rock solid to me man.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Honestly that looks pretty rock solid to me man.

Thanks for the feedback. It felt horrible, but I'll keep working on it. Now I still have no idea if I should get lifting shoes or not and there are no stores near me that carry them so no chance of trying them on before buying.
  • TR0berts
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First vid is set 1 of 5x5x315. Felt like my hips might have started rising first. Second vid is 3rd set - fatigue starting to kick in, so that hip rise is more prominent. Anything else? Oh, and I have no idea - short of recording these vertically, instead of horizontally - to get them not sideways.

• TR0berts
    edited September 2016
    Options
    WTF? Yeah - no idea what happened there. Giant wall-o-script.

edit: Fixed. Note to self: do not use embed code - just link.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I agree with your assessment.

Do you happen to have a deadlift much higher than your squat? Just speculation -- seems like you're just getting fatigued and naturally resorting to a position that allows you to incorporate more posterior chain into the squat when you tire out.

Overall the squat doesn't look bad and I don't think it's a severe early hip action.

Side view vid looks good IMO.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    My squat 1RM as of end of July is 365. Not sure if I had any more, but was tired, or what. I had been struggling with squats for any sort of reps over 300 for a while, but that was in a squat rack, with a bigger walkout - I'm now doing all my heavy work in the cage, where I can take a half-step.

My deadlift 1RM back at the end of July was 435. I just retested (for some reason, my programming has me retesting every 4 weeks) and I was up to 445.

So, yes, it's definitely higher, but I'm not entirely sure I'd say it's "much" higher. I pull conventional, as I tried sumo for a few months last year, but was never really all that comfortable with it. If that equation that I saw a while back is to be believed - the one that takes your proportions/measurements and tells you if you should pull conventional or sumo - then it doesn't matter, as all of my measurements/proportions are right at the cutoff points.

I wish I had recorded the last set, as I was focused a little more on driving my traps back as soon as my ascent began - it felt like I think it's supposed to, as it didn't feel like I had the hips rising first.
  • cmhoy71
    cmhoy71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!

I need major help on my squats. Thought I had it down, then started over-thinking it. Please excuse how I look, I'm in my garage at 5:30 am and I'm wearing what I slept in. :smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFdzZnOo0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I went back to bodyweight squats holding onto a pole to push me down to help force depth flexibility. Aim is for thighs parralel to ground for an olympic / competitive squat. It made huge difference!!!! I place bar on rear delts but then widen hand position to avoid transference of weight to elbows and tendon issues.

Form first. Weight second
  • PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just started to squat and deadlift. My phone ran out of memory, but here are two reps of deadlift: https://instagram.com/p/BMeTHy4lGmWxOuQklOaUmzLRiu_5ogAVXj77Hk0/

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my form. I hope that you can see the video - if not, i will change my privacy settings.