Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just started to squat and deadlift. My phone ran out of memory, but here are two reps of deadlift: https://instagram.com/p/BMeTHy4lGmWxOuQklOaUmzLRiu_5ogAVXj77Hk0/

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my form. I hope that you can see the video - if not, i will change my privacy settings.

It will not let me view this.
  • PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I just started to squat and deadlift. My phone ran out of memory, but here are two reps of deadlift: https://instagram.com/p/BMeTHy4lGmWxOuQklOaUmzLRiu_5ogAVXj77Hk0/

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my form. I hope that you can see the video - if not, i will change my privacy settings.

Sorry! Just changed my profile to public, did it help?

• SideSteel
    Options

Yup, these look good.
  • PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yup, these look good.

Thank you!

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever been able to lift 200lbs off the floor. Sumo deadlift (I'm new to Sumo).
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I know I round my back right before the lift but I think I correct it for actual lift. I hope.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    This is the first time I've ever been able to lift 200lbs off the floor. Sumo deadlift (I'm new to Sumo).

General pull mechanics look pretty good here. I get the impression that you're SLIGHTLY too far from the barbell at the start position and so I'd like to see two things:

1) Move closer to the barbell at the start of the pull.
    2) Re-post a video (if you'd like more feedback) however position the camera such that I can also see the floor to get more information. Only do this if you can still fit your entire body into the video.
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I know I round my back right before the lift but I think I correct it for actual lift. I hope.

If I'm correct with my previous reply, it's possible this will get better with the adjustment I've listed. If I'm correct it will also feel easier and the bar will come up faster.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thank you. I'm DLing today and will try to get the full floor shot. It's hard to do as my room is tiny. My iPad is actually in a closet aimed at the rack!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thank you. I'm DLing today and will try to get the full floor shot. It's hard to do as my room is tiny. My iPad is actually in a closet aimed at the rack!

the good news is that you can ALMOST see the floor in the current clip so you only need to lower it slightly.

When you move closer to the barbell do your best to keep the knees OUT so that you don't roll the barbell forward when you bend down to grab the bar.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    This is from today. I forgot to put my plywood "deck" down-doh! The room is so small that I have to flip it up to get it out of the way, sometimes.
    My feet are turned out pretty far-@10 & 2, I'd say. Legs fat enough out that my knee falls at mid foot when I get to bottom position.
  • Sumiblue
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • Sumiblue
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm using YouTube as Instagram crops the bottom of the frame too much.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Will watch shortly, how did it feel?
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Felt pretty good. I did 4 singles @200lbs. I had some balance issues during my setup getting closer to the bar and being in the carpet. But, overall it felt good. I see my tricep muscle shuddering a bit. I hope that doesn't mean I'm using my arms too much vs. posterior chain muscles.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'd be curious what happens if you stick with this for just a bit to see how it develops.

How old is the previous video you uploaded? I'm trying to establish whether or not you pulled 200 on back to back days or not. --- if so, it could also be that you are more fatigued right now
  • Sumiblue
    edited November 2016
    Options
    First video is from October 18. I just happen to be wearing the same stuff. Guess it's my DL outfit :D
    200lbs is pretty taxing for me. I currently weigh 120 lbs and it took me a long time to get that weight off the floor. Sumo is helping my conventional DL, which is what I hoped for.
    Thanks for your input!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm using YouTube as Instagram crops the bottom of the frame too much.

If I may offer a suggestion, disable comments on YouTube. Otherwise, you'll (eventually, probably) get comments from people that have no idea what they're talking about. There weren't any comments when I looked, but it's bound to happen.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I'd be curious what happens if you stick with this for just a bit to see how it develops.

How old is the previous video you uploaded? I'm trying to establish whether or not you pulled 200 on back to back days or not. --- if so, it could also be that you are more fatigued right now

@SideSteel , could you elaborate more on your comment about being curious to see how it develops? Does that mean I have crap form or just need more practice? Or that I can lift more?
    I do plan on sticking with Sumo and hope my numbers go up.
  • SideSteel
    Options

@SideSteel , could you elaborate more on your comment about being curious to see how it develops? Does that mean I have crap form or just need more practice? Or that I can lift more?
    I do plan on sticking with Sumo and hope my numbers go up.

Sure!

Your form is good overall.

What I mean is that I don't know that one individual session is necessarily enough evidence to confirm or deny whether or not a change is good unless it produces significantly different results.

In your case, I see both pulls (before and after the change) being pretty good and you're at the point now of fine tuning things.

So I'd be curious how it feels the next couple of sessions AND how your performance is.