Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Thanks, have been working on that. May be a little kyphotic to start with though.

Quick deadlift check.

https://youtu.be/Z_Qv5N_ZSL4

There's nothing bad about this necessarily but there's a few things you could probably improve on.

Knees look a little soft and it just generally looks like you're not aggressive. That's fairly common if you're thinking about technique. I'd like to see you drive the earth away FIRMLY by pushing the floor away. You should be thrusting your hips forward into the barbell aggressively and at the top you should stand tall (in this video your knees are still a bit flexed at the top).

As for technical stuff it's hard to tell but your stance looks VERY narrow. That's not necessarily wrong, but you may get better leg drive going slightly wider. I'd only go about 2 or 3" wider to start and just see if that feels stronger.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I actually just narrowed my stance today and thought it felt better than it had previously. I was having trouble before feeling sort of squished into position with a wider stance and my arms having to go out instead of straight down so that I could fit my legs in there. Overall a feeling like I was riding a bike that was too small. My hips are wider than my shoulders and my arms are short. Is this possible or should I go back? I can try to find a video of the wider stance in a bit. I can definitely try to be more aggressive!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    No need to go wider if this feels better.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Thanks, have been working on that. May be a little kyphotic to start with though.

Quick deadlift check.

There's nothing bad about this necessarily but there's a few things you could probably improve on.

Knees look a little soft and it just generally looks like you're not aggressive. That's fairly common if you're thinking about technique. I'd like to see you drive the earth away FIRMLY by pushing the floor away. You should be thrusting your hips forward into the barbell aggressively and at the top you should stand tall (in this video your knees are still a bit flexed at the top).

As for technical stuff it's hard to tell but your stance looks VERY narrow. That's not necessarily wrong, but you may get better leg drive going slightly wider. I'd only go about 2 or 3" wider to start and just see if that feels stronger.

Quick deadlift check.

Bingo. At the top of the movement, squeeze those glutes and drive your hips forward like you're trying to bruise your thighs with the bar. That doesn't mean lean backwards, just really get those hips through strongly.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Bench this time! I've been trying to work on leg drive but I don't really know if it's helping! My bench is so weak. Any pointers of things that need work?

• SideSteel
    Options
    Bench this time! I've been trying to work on leg drive but I don't really know if it's helping! My bench is so weak. Any pointers of things that need work?

I get the sense that your elbows are tracking outside of your wrists, although it's hard to assess that accurately from this angle.

I'd be curious how bench feels and performs if you were to grip about 1-2" wider with each hand.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    ^ tremendous will give that a go

What angle would be better in future? At a new gym so having to figure out the etiquette still, no one else seems to be videoing and everyone seems to have major form issues!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ^ tremendous will give that a go

What angle would be better in future? At a new gym so having to figure out the etiquette still, no one else seems to be videoing and everyone seems to have major form issues!

I prefer seeing the bench from the side view and the front view.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Any better? On top is 2 weeks ago, bottom is today, same weight I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyWz7ZSHl8
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I get the sense that your elbows are tracking outside of your wrists, although it's hard to assess that accurately from this angle.

I'd be curious how bench feels and performs if you were to grip about 1-2" wider with each hand.

Agreed, I like to see a side angle and an angle from the feet.

It looks like you may be flaring your elbows quite a bit too. First rep looks maybe okay, second rep you can see your elbows getting wider right at the bottom when you're pushing off your chest. Try to tuck your elbows into your ribs at the bottom of the movement. You won't be able to actually do it, but it will keep your lats tight and your elbows from shooting out (which is a weak and injurious position).
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

It looks like you may be flaring your elbows quite a bit too. First rep looks maybe okay, second rep you can see your elbows getting wider right at the bottom when you're pushing off your chest. Try to tuck your elbows into your ribs at the bottom of the movement. You won't be able to actually do it, but it will keep your lats tight and your elbows from shooting out (which is a weak and injurious position).

Yes - I feel the flare when I start to find things hard. Will try to tuck harder than I am doing. I do struggle with general tightness when I bench. I feel like I start out ok, but then it all goes to hell.

I have spoto press on Friday which I find easier to keep tight, so will try to get a better video next Tuesday/Wednesday for my next actual bench day.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Yes - I feel the flare when I start to find things hard. Will try to tuck harder than I am doing. I do struggle with general tightness when I bench. I feel like I start out ok, but then it all goes to hell.

I have spoto press on Friday which I find easier to keep tight, so will try to get a better video next Tuesday/Wednesday for my next actual bench day.

Doing all paused bench for a while may help to really ingrain that tightness and motor memory. Just a thought.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How vertical/perpendicular to the floor should shins be for good mornings? I've avoided them because they feel weird but decided to use them starting this training cycle. My back was sore earlier in the week (unrelated to gms), then fine, and is now sore again after doing these this morning. I think it might be new exercise soreness but I'm not sure. These felt really swing-y to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1MmqywkthbWjFydTQzSE0wNlE/view?usp=drivesdk
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Sorry, I'm spamming you guys.

Pause deads for the first time ever today - does my back look alright? In particular I'm concerned by my upper back

• DopeItUp
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How vertical/perpendicular to the floor should shins be for good mornings? I've avoided them because they feel weird but decided to use them starting this training cycle. My back was sore earlier in the week (unrelated to gms), then fine, and is now sore again after doing these this morning. I think it might be new exercise soreness but I'm not sure. These felt really swing-y to me.

I'm not an expert but those look fine to me. A lot of volume with eccentric loading like that will cause crazy soreness so as long as it goes away in a few days I wouldn't be too worried.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Pause deads for the first time ever today - does my back look alright? In particular I'm concerned by my upper back

Your paused deads look pretty much perfect to me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'd say those look fine. Some people like to keep the knees bent somewhat, but I think it's personal preference - just as long as it doesn't become a squat.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

Your paused deads look pretty much perfect to me.

Ditto

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

To add - if they feel weird because of the balance or such - it's almost the exact same motion as straight-leg deadlift (which would go deeper normally).
    You just may want to put the bar/plates on a lift so it starts you out with back as flat as you can reach it. Since it's just weight hanging from arms, might feel easier to control, and it stays over the midfoot going straight up and down.
    Shins have to tilt with either one to keep you from falling forward.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm not an expert but those look fine to me. A lot of volume with eccentric loading like that will cause crazy soreness so as long as it goes away in a few days I wouldn't be too worried.

You know, I did 3x10 with these, which I don't consider to be a lot of volume. But then last night I was going back through 5/3/1 and at one point he refers to 5 sets of 10 as high volume. I suppose if it is a new exercise, 3 sets could be high volume so that is a good point. I am definitely less sore today than I was yesterday. Thank you for the feedback.

TR0berts wrote: »
    I'd say those look fine. Some people like to keep the knees bent somewhat, but I think it's personal preference - just as long as it doesn't become a squat.

Thank you.

heybales wrote: »
    To add - if they feel weird because of the balance or such - it's almost the exact same motion as straight-leg deadlift (which would go deeper normally).
    You just may want to put the bar/plates on a lift so it starts you out with back as flat as you can reach it. Since it's just weight hanging from arms, might feel easier to control, and it stays over the midfoot going straight up and down.
    Shins have to tilt with either one to keep you from falling forward.

I do RDLs a lot and have fiddled around with straight-leg deadlifts but still can't totally figure out the difference between them and stiff-leg deadlifts and then I get confused about whether they are okay or are not because the bar is held out from your body unlike RDLs. I have watched the Bret Contreras video detailing the difference between them a dozen times and I'll think that I have them straight but then get confused in practice. I keep finding a reference to a "great" video made by Johnny Candito showing straight-leg deadlifts but it seems to have been removed from YouTube and the only video I can find of him doing them doesn't have a great camera angle to show--does the bar run up the legs or is it a few inches in front.

They mostly feel weird because they feel easier to do than they should be. When something is easy I automatically think I must be doing it wrong. I'm still not used to being competent with physical activity :blush:

Thank you!