INSANITY

Options

Replies

• dwyler21
    dwyler21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 24, almost to Recovery week.
    I love Insanity and look forward to it everyday.
  • dwyler21
    dwyler21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my heart rate is usually about 150 in insanity, my max is 167. 390 is that even possible? That would be so crazy
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welll ive been a little MIA lately because i hurt my lower back last week and didnt think insanity would help it out;) i have been still running even though its still hurting a bit...still trying to find a way to run and do insanity....maybe that i why my back is outta whack...i really like insanity and loved the results in the first week and half i was doing it but running is my first love...will give the back a little more rest and then try to rip into insanity again....just wanted to let you guys know why i havent been giving updates.
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. new guy here to the group, looking to get some support/discussion. Today is Day 3 for me, looking forward to the workout tonight (with trepidation as well thinking back to the pain I had last night in the plyometric cardio - lol)

Feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP. Looking to learn as much as I can.

I've set a goal for myself that if I can make it through Month One, I'm going to splurge and get a HRM. Right now I don't have one and that's got me concerned, but we just can't afford it right now (especially after the Insanity purchase itself - lol)
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    @allysonvb - Look at you! What a huge improvement from the first fit test! 110 Power Knees, 20 push up jacks, and 56 low plank oblique! I would suggest that before you do the next fit test, look at your previous numbers and try to hit or exceed that number. It works for me and I ended up pushing way harder and burning more calories :)

@dwler21 - Way to go! you'll love month 2 @_@

@krislshoe - Thanks for the update! Please take really good care of yourself so that you can be 100% again! We'll still be here when you're ready say in a week :)

@ryans5050 - Welcome aboard man! Good to have you join but joining aint free though - you gotta "pay" us visit every day and log your workout! Before you get a HRM (even a cheap one), you could use this site to estimate your calorie burn: http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises (thanks @brawlerbella for the link)

Shaun T.: "Keep digging deep y'all!"
  • ryans5050
    Options
    @ryans5050 - Welcome aboard man! Good to have you join but joining aint free though - you gotta "pay" us visit every day and log your workout! Before you get a HRM (even a cheap one), you could use this site to estimate your calorie burn: http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises (thanks @brawlerbella for the link)

Proton - Thanks for the link. Is that assuming 100% push? I wish I did plyo cardio last night at 100% - ugh.. But for instance, last night I did plyo cardio circuit. I put my weight in and the time. The time was a big question mark for me. Video itself is 40 minutes but should I could stretching? It's really probably 30 minutes of exercise, maybe even 20 considering the water breaks. I know I'm just estimating but I'm curious because the difference between 20 minutes (417 calories) and 40 minutes (834 calories) is pretty huge! Some days I know I'd love to have an extra 400 calories without going over - lol.

Also should I just log my workout to MFP or should I also post here in this board too?

Yea, I'm full of questions - lol.. I'm sure I'll be asking more too! :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Proton - Thanks for the link. Is that assuming 100% push? I wish I did plyo cardio last night at 100% - ugh.. But for instance, last night I did plyo cardio circuit. I put my weight in and the time. The time was a big question mark for me. Video itself is 40 minutes but should I could stretching? It's really probably 30 minutes of exercise, maybe even 20 considering the water breaks. I know I'm just estimating but I'm curious because the difference between 20 minutes (417 calories) and 40 minutes (834 calories) is pretty huge! Some days I know I'd love to have an extra 400 calories without going over - lol.

Also should I just log my workout to MFP or should I also post here in this board too?

Yea, I'm full of questions - lol.. I'm sure I'll be asking more too! :smile:

if your following the calorie calc in the elite nutrittion guide then you dont have to worry about logging workouts or counting calories via an HRM or any exercise calculator. you just customize the number of calories you want in a day to match the results of shawn Ts calculation (do this under the 'goals' tab).

Thats what i did and it worked for me. Perhaps you may think that logging the workouts will give you a more accurate picture of how many calories you are eating, while the calc in the nutrition guide is more of an estimate. As you can see, there is a lot of estimation going on no matter how you slice it.

If i was doing it your way i'd subtract the stretching time. I only used my HRM to track how long i was in my zone, and i didn't turn it on until after the stretching so that wouldn't mess up my average HR
  • ryans5050
    Options
    if your following the calorie calc in the elite nutrittion guide then you dont have to worry about logging workouts or counting calories via an HRM or any exercise calculator. you just customize the number of calories you want in a day to match the results of shawn Ts calculation (do this under the 'goals' tab).

Thats what i did and it worked for me. Perhaps you may think that logging the workouts will give you a more accurate picture of how many calories you are eating, while the calc in the nutrition guide is more of an estimate. As you can see, there is a lot of estimation going on no matter how you slice it.

If i was doing it your way i'd subtract the stretching time. I only used my HRM to track how long i was in my zone, and i didn't turn it on until after the stretching so that wouldn't mess up my average HR

That's the downside that I'm stuck with though.. I'm not following the nutrition guide from Insanity.. Between the wife and the kids, I just don't know I can dedicate my meals to be so different than what they're eating. I'm staying under my daily caloric intake using MFP but yea, I think i'm probably going to suffer some by not following the full nutrition guide from Shawn T..
  • proton77
    Options
    @Ryan5059 - like nofinishline said, you dont "have" to log your exercise in MFP. It's more for accountability. If you do log it like most of us do, make sure you understand that the moment you enter them, MFP is going to adjust your remaining calorie budget. And it makes a lot of people think that they should eat back the workout calorie. I normally log them at the end of the day before I go to bed.

Regarding your diet, you should try to dial in as much as possible. Not trying to be rude but there's no point working out as hard as you do and not following the diet in order to maximize the result. You dont want to regret half way or all the way through when you're not seeing the result you wanted. Good thing is you're already staying at or below your calorie budget. Next step is to nail the macros. :)
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just started on April 1st. It is definitely insane!! I'm not too happy about how many breaks I find myself having to take :/
  • greeenerone
    Options
    I am on the last week of insanity, I have done so well with this programme that I almost don't want it to end although I feel that my body is ready for a change. I am surprised and kind of disappointed that there is no cardio recovery this week, I look forward to it every week.

I haven't yet decided what to do next, I have been contemplating restarting insanity after a short break but I have heard that it can take a toll on your knees and since I have some pain on my knees already I am afraid that it will aggravate it. If anyone has any suggestions for a programme that can continue what insanity has started please share.
  • proton77
    Options
    @fitblackchick - You go girl! You take as many breaks as you _need_ to so that you can keep going :)

@greenerone - I, too, will finish Insanity this week! I've decided to start another round of P90X/Insanity hybrid starting April 8. I'll still be using this board to track my accountability so feel free to join regardless of what you decide to do next. :) Have you seen the result that you wanted?
  • proton77
    Options
    I've been working out later in the night than I wanted to. Normally I workout at around 7pm and then have dinner but this week I've been working out after 9pm. Reaon being I have been staying at work later and take last night for example I had to run to the store to do grocery before headed home. But hey, none of these should stop us from sticking to our workout schedule!

Last night I did Max Cardio Conditioning for 45 mins. According to the Insanity schedule I was supposed to also to Cardio Abs but since I did ARX the day before, I didn't want to overwork my abs. I gave it some rest. But tonight is going to be Hybrid-P90X with ARX again. Can't wait!

Dig deeper!
  • greeenerone
    Options
    @greenerone - I, too, will finish Insanity this week! I've decided to start another round of P90X/Insanity hybrid starting April 8. I'll still be using this board to track my accountability so feel free to join regardless of what you decide to do next. :) Have you seen the result that you wanted?
    [/quote]

____

I have done better than I expected, I have lost 5 kilos and firmed up noticeably. I am obviously not where I want to be but Insanity has shown me that I can do it, I just have to find something as motivating to help me lose the remaining 10 kilos.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    if your following the calorie calc in the elite nutrittion guide then you dont have to worry about logging workouts or counting calories via an HRM or any exercise calculator.

That's the downside that I'm stuck with though.. I'm not following the nutrition guide from Insanity.. Between the wife and the kids, I just don't know I can dedicate my meals to be so different than what they're eating. I'm staying under my daily caloric intake using MFP but yea, I think i'm probably going to suffer some by not following the full nutrition guide from Shawn T..

All I really meant was that, IMO, you should just use the harris bennedict formula in the nutrition guide to determine how many calories you should be eating, rather then logging the workout to determine how many cals you should be eating.

I'm not sure what the point of logging the workout is if your not using it to determine how much you should eat, but it guess its the same as putting a check on the calander, which is what i do. maybe it tracks it and gives you a cool report? i only just started doing it this week because im taking some time off from beach body programs and just doing my own thing here and there, so i thought 'doing things the MFP way' would be a good approach for the next few weeks.

As far as the meals in the guide, i would say if your diet consisted entirely of those, then you would get the best results. But, i'm a terrible cook, so i also get frustrated when i first look at those meal plans because i just think i can't really prepare them. I ended up going through the book and picking out the things that looked really easy, like protmeal or the egg mcmuffin thing. protmeal is so quick you just microwave oatmeal and dump your protein powder in. how good it is depends on the powder lol. I'm guessing there are somethings in there that wouldn't be too hard to fit in. other then that i'd just recomend eating as simple as possible... like an apple, a handfull of nuts, and some beef jerky or a protein shake makes a meal with 0 prep time. when in doubt, stick to one ingredient or as close to that as you can, or at least ingredients you can actually pronounce lol.
  • proton77
    Options

____

I have done better than I expected, I have lost 5 kilos and firmed up noticeably. I am obviously not where I want to be but Insanity has shown me that I can do it, I just have to find something as motivating to help me lose the remaining 10 kilos.
    [/quote]

What's your current weight and your body fat%?
  • greeenerone
    Options

____

What's your current weight and your body fat%?
    [/quote]

My current weight is 65kg, I am aiming for 55kg, height is 5.4ft. I don't know what my body fat % is.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    [____

My current weight is 65kg, I am aiming for 55kg, height is 5.4ft. I don't know what my body fat % is.
    [/quote]

That's pretty much exactly where I am too!!...lol. I didn't really loose any weight on insanity though I can put pants on without undoing the button ( my new favorite jeans..lol) I know I've lost inches but waiting until Sunday , last fit test...yeah... to remeasure.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    scale says i'm 12%
  • proton77
    Options
    scale says i'm 12%

Yours should be lower than 10%! Look at them abs! You normally don't see them until you're less than 10%

The bioelectrical impedance test that's built into the scale or commonly seen on the workout machines are not very accurate. It's better off using the cheap skinfold method.