First Date Rules

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing the point of what I wrote. You’re also contradicting stuff that you’ve written about elsewhere. I confess that while I don’t care about everyone reading this, I’m especially sad about those I consider friends.

I think sometimes people reading "they're judging me" into everything is more often reflective of them not being 100% comfortable with their lifestyle and decisions as they probably should be. Or jealous. Or whatever. When we're happy with our lives, we don't need to get all defensive and angry about someone with a different lifestyle. What works for them works for them, just like what works for us works for us.

In for jealousy!

I think your missing the point... We've heard from several girls about their rules and what they do and don't do.Some of us disagree. Those of us taht disagree are pointing out that there are alternatives. Christine especially wants more then she currently has. But she continues to do the same thing and expect different results.. That is the definition of insanity. We are just trying to open her horizons more... Jealousy would imply that I want something you have. That is not the case, you jumped into a conversation and turned it into those of us who make out outside of relationships and go on last minute dates display less value in ourselves. Can't we just be having fun?Honestly if you truely value yourself then the only opinion that should matter to you is your own. So going on a last minute date or kissing or even having sex on the first date is something thats ok...if your ok with it...

I did no such thing.

BAHAHAHAHA
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing the point of what I wrote. You’re also contradicting stuff that you’ve written about elsewhere. I confess that while I don’t care about everyone reading this, I’m especially sad about those I consider friends.

I think sometimes people reading "they're judging me" into everything is more often reflective of them not being 100% comfortable with their lifestyle and decisions as they probably should be. Or jealous. Or whatever. When we're happy with our lives, we don't need to get all defensive and angry about someone with a different lifestyle. What works for them works for them, just like what works for us works for us.

In for jealousy!

I think your missing the point... We've heard from several girls about their rules and what they do and don't do.Some of us disagree. Those of us taht disagree are pointing out that there are alternatives. Christine especially wants more then she currently has. But she continues to do the same thing and expect different results.. That is the definition of insanity. We are just trying to open her horizons more... Jealousy would imply that I want something you have. That is not the case, you jumped into a conversation and turned it into those of us who make out outside of relationships and go on last minute dates display less value in ourselves. Can't we just be having fun?Honestly if you truely value yourself then the only opinion that should matter to you is your own. So going on a last minute date or kissing or even having sex on the first date is something thats ok...if your ok with it...

I did no such thing.

lol goof :flowerforyou: I wasnt talking to you
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You had quoted me!!! :tongue:
  • jenbit
    Options
    You had quoted me!!! :tongue:

Cause you pointed out the jealous part so nicely lol
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    So I think what we can take away from this is that it's totally legit to have a date in home with which to be wined, dined and video gamed, but that's it's also totally legit to take a man to get pedicures and we should ultimately find what makes us happiest and work with it.

Emoticon-Peace.gif
  • yoovie
    Options
    AND there is no Better or Righter way to make yourself happy :drinker:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yoovie funny thing is is that the guy that asked me to his house was a good friend and I'd been over there a ton of times to hang out. But in a different "dating" context I didn't want him to think that I was that kind of girl because I'm not. If we'd gone on more dates I would've been open to going over there but the first date, no.
  • jenbit
    Options
    Yoovie funny thing is is that the guy that asked me to his house was a good friend and I'd been over there a ton of times to hang out. But in a different "dating" context I didn't want him to think that I was that kind of girl because I'm not. If we'd gone on more dates I would've been open to going over there but the first date, no.

But when you said no did you bring up an altrnative idea.... i.e. Instead of going to your houe why don't we ...... (insert appropriate place here)

this shows your interested ..a flat out no or I would rather not shows complete lack of interest
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

But when you said no did you bring up an altrnative idea.... i.e. Instead of going to your houe why don't we ...... (insert appropriate place here)

this shows your interested ..a flat out no or I would rather not shows complete lack of interest

Yeah, suggest pedicures!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I want my next first date to be wall climbing. At least I know that by the end of it, I will be weak in the knees (and legs, arms, hands, etc) lol

Who's in?

Oh and I think the pre-cursor to the "first date" also makes a difference.
    I am a pretty damn conservative lady, and sex is best in an intimate relationship - never on the first date for me. (At least, not yet!)

BUT... there's a guy I have been talking to every day for almost a year - we've texted, skyped, etc... and if anyone has my heart and full attention, it's him.

If I ever get a chance at a first date with him... it is going to be an EPIC FIRST DATE.
    Just sayin. :wink:
  • christine24t
    Options
    ^ Rock climbing would be awesome (on a wall, not on actual rocks)!

I mentioned the story earlier...I said, "I'd would rather go play raquetball if that's okay with you." He said yes and we had a great time.

When I say all this stuff by no means should you all think that I'm saying, "terrible date idea, you're a loser, next!" I would just say nicely, "you know, that isn't really my thing, can we meet afterwards or can we do X instead?" There is NOTHING wrong with saying you don't like something and suggesting an alternative. My life is too short and I don't have enough free time/alert time to do things that I don't want to do. Does that make me selfish? Maybe, but I've spent a good chunk of my life in the background, being the sidekick and silently going along with things that I don't want to do and in the past few years, I've learned how to say "NO" and it has made my life a lot better.
  • whierd
    Options
    In for rock climbing!

As for sex on the first date, my last two relationships began online. And we talked online and on the phone for awhile before we actually met in person. By that time we were already into each other and the topic of sex had been breached already. In both cases we'd agreed to no sex during the first meetup, but we gave in during the first day. I'm actually one of those people with silly romantic notions about sex and won't do it unless I'm in love. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Great discussion guys :flowerforyou:

From my point of view, I dont mind doing what I wouldnt normally do/like, especially if I've never done it before. I'd try anything once :bigsmile: If I had an awful time then I wouldnt do it again. If I had an awesome time cos I'm with the guy I want to be with? Well, that speaks for itself.

I'm also very spontaneous, and love to live life in the fast lane. Ring me and ask me to go to a gig you just got tickets for? Yep, I'm in. Do I feel like I was your last resort? Nope, it doesnt even enter my head!

Going to someone's house is normal here. (Not on the first date with a stranger, obviously!!) I explained this on here months ago and the overall consensus was that Americans would assume that it's a sexual invitation. Here, it's more to hang out because the pubs used to shut early!!

If you want to have sex, then have it. If you don't, then don't. I dont really see where the confusion lies. Just dont go back to someone's house if you don't trust them, or yourself!! :wink:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    In for rock climbing!

As for sex on the first date, my last two relationships began online. And we talked online and on the phone for awhile before we actually met in person. By that time we were already into each other and the topic of sex had been breached already. In both cases we'd agreed to no sex during the first meetup, but we gave in during the first day. I'm actually one of those people with silly romantic notions about sex and won't do it unless I'm in love. :flowerforyou:

Awwww, :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I mentioned the story earlier...I said, "I'd would rather go play raquetball if that's okay with you." He said yes and we had a great time.

When I say all this stuff by no means should you all think that I'm saying, "terrible date idea, you're a loser, next!" I would just say nicely, "you know, that isn't really my thing, can we meet afterwards or can we do X instead?" There is NOTHING wrong with saying you don't like something and suggesting an alternative. My life is too short and I don't have enough free time/alert time to do things that I don't want to do. Does that make me selfish? Maybe, but I've spent a good chunk of my life in the background, being the sidekick and silently going along with things that I don't want to do and in the past few years, I've learned how to say "NO" and it has made my life a lot better.

I understand where you're coming from Christine. I think if you know you would hate an evening watching some sport you detest, regardless if the guy is the love of your life, then you just don't go. An alternative is fine, but what if he really wants to see that particular thing?? Lets just hope he doesnt ask someone else!! :wink:

Sometimes we do things to make our partner happy, and they do the same in return :bigsmile:
  • yoovie
    Options

Ahhh o was under the impression that was what you said when you were watching a movie you werent comfortable with with a guy when you suggested that. Read it wrong.

I dont really understand why going to a friends house for a date makes you 'that kind of girl' (what kind) because like we were saying, house doesnt mean bedroom. But if its personal preference and comfort thats just plain good and proof you know yourself.
  • christine24t
    Options

Ahhh o was under the impression that was what you said when you were watching a movie you werent comfortable with with a guy when you suggested that. Read it wrong.

I dont really understand why going to a friends house for a date makes you 'that kind of girl' (what kind) because like we were saying, house doesnt mean bedroom. But if its personal preference and comfort thats just plain good and proof you know yourself.

Oh no I said it before the date, not during.

I didn't want him to think I was easy because clearly I'm not. I was worried about and then my friend basically agreed that my concerns were valid. I didn't want him to sit down on the couch with me and then make a move and have me awkwardly turn it down. I wanted things to progress more naturally.

And yeah one thing about me is that I know myself very, very well. I know what I like and don't like and trust myself to make decisions. Hasn't always been like that but now I trust my gut.

And Anna, agree compromises are always needed but one compromise I wouldn't make is wasting hours watching a boring sports event that I have absolutely no interest in when I could be out doing things that I like to do! There is nothing wrong with saying, "okay you do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll meet up later" or "you do your thing and come to my place when you're done." :) I couldn't stomach watching a 4 hours NASCAR race, I would be gouging my eyes out...even if I thought the guy was the bee's knees. If he wanted to sit and talk with me and drink beer and and flip the race on to check updates once an hour, well that is do-able.
  • yoovie
    Options
    It doesnt make us easy :(

Im difficult as **** :(

Right. Point taken repeatedly across the face.

Yall have fun.
  • christine24t
    Options

Yall have fun.

You read way too much into that. I meant that I (meaning me) thought that he would think I was easy. Not saying that other men think that. It doesn't mean that you're easy if you go to a guys house on the first date. You brought up a point that maybe a guy would invite someone over for a beer on the porch. This was a movie in his bedroom...I'm not stupid, I know what a guy means when he says that.
  • whierd
    Options

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

I don't think going to a guys house on the first date makes you easy. Nor does having sex on the first date. Sometimes the chemistry is there.

You cannot say that you want things to progress naturally, then hold to hard and fast rules you set beforehand.