First Date Rules

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It doesnt make us easy :(

Im difficult as **** :(

Right. Point taken repeatedly across the face.

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

I don't think going to a guys house on the first date makes you easy. Nor does having sex on the first date. Sometimes the chemistry is there.

You cannot say that you want things to progress naturally, then hold to hard and fast rules you set beforehand.

By naturally I meant guy asks girl out, first date he takes girl out and pays, a few dates in he kisses girl, they keep dating and maybe sex happens and then he proposes and you get married...not "go with the flow natural." I have no desire to kiss a man I just met or go to his house or sleep with him on the second date. I'm very very traditional.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

I don't think going to a guys house on the first date makes you easy. Nor does having sex on the first date. Sometimes the chemistry is there.

You cannot say that you want things to progress naturally, then hold to hard and fast rules you set beforehand.

By naturally I meant guy asks girl out, first date he takes girl out and pays, a few dates in he kisses girl, they keep dating and maybe sex happens and then he proposes and you get married...not "go with the flow natural."

So then you are looking for a more traditional type of courtship?
  • christine24t
    Options

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

By naturally I meant guy asks girl out, first date he takes girl out and pays, a few dates in he kisses girl, they keep dating and maybe sex happens and then he proposes and you get married...not "go with the flow natural."

Absolutely. Not like my dad picking out my husband but I like when a man does the asking and paying and treats a lady right and the relationship proceeds slowly. I hate this 21-century crap. I don't fit in here. Where does someone like me find a man when all the other girls have no problem with sex on the first date and moving in together before marriage...I swear I was born in the wrong era.

Wish I could teleport.
  • whierd
    Options

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

Absolutely. Not like my dad picking out my husband but I like when a man does the asking and paying and treats a lady right and the relationship proceeds slowly. I hate this 21-century crap. I don't fit in here. Where does someone like me find a man when all the other girls have no problem with sex on the first date and moving in together before marriage...I swear I was born in the wrong era.

Wish I could teleport.

Sex isn't the most important thing to most men. If you feel that other women have an advantage because they are more willing to sleep with a guy if it feels right, then you need to make up for it with personality.

Furthermore, teleportation has not been invented yet and could not transport you back in time. That would require a time machine. Those are hard to find.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a standing order for a TARDIS once my physicist friend works out the loop holes in quantum mechanics...
  • whierd
    Options
    A TARDIS is grown, not built. He needs to work on botany.
  • christine24t
    Options

Yall have fun.

Teehee.

Wish I could teleport.

Sex isn't the most important thing to most men. If you feel that other women have an advantage because they are more willing to sleep with a guy if it feels right, then you need to make up for it with personality.

Furthermore, teleportation has not been invented yet and could not transport you back in time. That would require a time machine. Those are hard to find.

I think I'm pretty awesome!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    A TARDIS is grown, not built. He needs to work on botany.

tumblr_lflgfg8csS1qdufy3.gif
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    By naturally I meant guy asks girl out, first date he takes girl out and pays, a few dates in he kisses girl, they keep dating and maybe sex happens and then he proposes and you get married...not "go with the flow natural." I have no desire to kiss a man I just met or go to his house or sleep with him on the second date. I'm very very traditional.
    Guys still ask girls out as far as I'm aware.

You don't have to sleep with a guy on the second date. Unless you want to. In fact, you don't have to sleep with a guy ever. Unless you want to.
    As far as kissing is concerned, I can tell you this: I have been seeing a girl for months now - without kissing her!
    She's a very good friend. A friend.
    Now, if you want to move out of the friend zone, not be "just friends", yes, you will have to consent to kiss a guy at some point. Maybe not date 1 or 2, but probably - ideally - by date 3. You should still want to though.

So apart from that, I don't understand what's holding you up in your paragraph. It seems to be pretty standard procedure to me - with some variations in speed, but if one is too or too slow, it is the other one's right to end the "relationship", right?
    It seems to me you're only presuming that other people will move way faster than you... based on what, I'm not so sure. Since a relationship involves at least 2 people, it will certainly not move faster than you want to (only slower).
    Not like my dad picking out my husband but I like when a man does the asking and paying and treats a lady right and the relationship proceeds slowly. I hate this 21-century crap. I don't fit in here. Where does someone like me find a man when all the other girls have no problem with sex on the first date and moving in together before marriage...I swear I was born in the wrong era.

If you miss an opportunity with a good man because "he didn't dine and wine you" then frankly you're either an entitled gold-digger or very shallow. You'll find more money than good relationships in your life. My response: earn your own cash.
    Missing the love of your life because you couldn't get $10 off your pocket? Especially if the "men" around you are students who probably don't roll in beds of money. That'd be a shame.
    That said, I remember that the majority of men on here replied they'd pay for a first date, at least bits of it.

Pretty much all the girls I know have problems with sex on the first date, because they don't want to be "that girl" (bad reputation) or because they've heard from some idiotic man that a girl with who they have sex on the first date will never end up being a LTR (thank you bro! From all the men that would actually sleep on a first date and still consider a LTR, thank you from the bottom of my heart!). This doesn't seem like a very valid complaint to me.

Moving in (partially at least) before marriage seems like a sensible thing to do. You should try before you buy. Especially if *you* value marriage so much that you consider it a commitment for life. Don't screw this up, please and move in with the person you want to commit to. Being with someone 24/7 is a world of difference from seeing them only once in a while.

There are lots of upside to the 21st century. I think you should enjoy your freedom of choice rather than complain about it.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the last couple of pages of replies, but I wanted to say that I agree... you should just do things they like becuase you want to spend time with them and vice versa... I think that is respectful, being equals, and really you are opening yourself up to stuff that maybe you didn't realize you liked.

I had an ex that never would do anything I wanted to do - even on my freaking birthday! Looking back, it was pretty annoying.
    So I think it should be a give/take thing, but of course in the early stages of dating that is harder... but I agree, if you open those 'boundaries' up you would probably end up with more dates, or even just being invited to more social gatherings, etc.

With that being said, being open to go to a guys house will yield you more dates is kinda BS really...sure you would get more dates, probably more dates for sex/booty calls. If Christine (or anyone) isn't comfortable going to a guys house they SHOULDN'T HAVE TOO.. any decent guy who likes to spend time with YOU for YOU, wouldn't care if you went to the park to have a swing... It's about him respecting the comfort level that comes with house visits...

Personally for me, if I am dating someone, house visits don't happen until I am ready to have sex with them becuase alot of times that is what house visits imply...lets be real here.

ETA: I guess it would depend when we are talking the house visit... First date - I am sorry but come on that is implying booty call/or heavy makeout session of some sort. If you have been dating the guy longer I can see why house visits would be easier BUT like I said above, it should come down to you being ready for a house visit (sex or no sex) and any decent person (male or female) who is into you would respect that.

I just didn't like the comment that being open to going to a guys house will yield you more dates.. probably won't be 'long term relationship' type dates IMO! especially if they are first dates.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Guys still ask girls out as far as I'm aware.

You don't have to sleep with a guy on the second date. Unless you want to. In fact, you don't have to sleep with a guy ever. Unless you want to.
    As far as kissing is concerned, I can tell you this: I have been seeing a girl for months now - without kissing her!
    She's a very good friend. A friend.
    Now, if you want to move out of the friend zone, not be "just friends", yes, you will have to consent to kiss a guy at some point. Maybe not date 1 or 2, but probably - ideally - by date 3. You should still want to though.

So apart from that, I don't understand what's holding you up in your paragraph. It seems to be pretty standard procedure to me - with some variations in speed, but if one is too or too slow, it is the other one's right to end the "relationship", right?
    It seems to me you're only presuming that other people will move way faster than you... based on what, I'm not so sure. Since a relationship involves at least 2 people, it will certainly not move faster than you want to (only slower).
    Not like my dad picking out my husband but I like when a man does the asking and paying and treats a lady right and the relationship proceeds slowly. I hate this 21-century crap. I don't fit in here. Where does someone like me find a man when all the other girls have no problem with sex on the first date and moving in together before marriage...I swear I was born in the wrong era.

If you miss an opportunity with a good man because "he didn't dine and wine you" then frankly you're either an entitled gold-digger or very shallow. You'll find more money than good relationships in your life. My response: earn your own cash.
    Missing the love of your life because you couldn't get $10 off your pocket? Especially if the "men" around you are students who probably don't roll in beds of money. That'd be a shame.
    That said, I remember that the majority of men on here replied they'd pay for a first date, at least bits of it.

Pretty much all the girls I know have problems with sex on the first date, because they don't want to be "that girl" (bad reputation) or because they've heard from some idiotic man that a girl with who they have sex on the first date will never end up being a LTR (thank you bro! From all the men that would actually sleep on a first date and still consider a LTR, thank you from the bottom of my heart!). This doesn't seem like a very valid complaint to me.

Moving in (partially at least) before marriage seems like a sensible thing to do. You should try before you buy. Especially if *you* value marriage so much that you consider it a commitment for life. Don't screw this up, please and move in with the person you want to commit to. Being with someone 24/7 is a world of difference from seeing them only once in a while.

There are lots of upside to the 21st century. I think you should enjoy your freedom of choice rather than complain about it.

Applauds.
  • christine24t
    Options
    Flim thank you, good to hear! Thank you. And lol on the moving in part...my mom ingrained that into me since youth so I gotta stick to it lol.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about rock climbing for a 'first date' as I'll often stick that in to a serach in plenty of fish or whatever as it tends to produce girls that have some 'interests' outside soap operas and chatting about make up! (And I climb too, of course.)

Have to be bouldering really, as rope climbing is usually just staring up their backside (or, may not be too unpleasant :P.)
    Lol, it's easy for me. When he doesn't get it I have no problem saying "HRY I AM FLIRTING WITH YOU!"

but I am obnoxious like that.
    Nothing to lose, at least!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about rock climbing for a 'first date' as I'll often stick that in to a serach in plenty of fish or whatever as it tends to produce girls that have some 'interests' outside soap operas and chatting about make up! (And I climb too, of course.)

Have to be bouldering really, as rope climbing is usually just staring up their backside (or, may not be too unpleasant :P.)
    Lol, it's easy for me. When he doesn't get it I have no problem saying "HRY I AM FLIRTING WITH YOU!"

but I am obnoxious like that.
    Nothing to lose, at least!

Rock Climbing would be a fun first date for me but determine how proficent they are first before picking a where you are going to climb.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    <3 Don't expect a second date
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing is an awesome date - you really get to see what they look like when they are problem solving, when they are playing, when they are frustrated or agitated, when they are helping you and guiding you.

I love doing physical activities like that for dates, you really get to know each other when you're both trying hard. :bigsmile:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Actually, statistics show that couple who cohabitate before marriage are more likely to divorce than couples who don't.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Actually, statistics show that couple who cohabitate before marriage are more likely to divorce than couples who don't.
    It could well be that most people who don't want to cohabitate before marriage would be the more religious couples for who will only consider divorce as a last resort.
    A measure of "happiness" would be more interesting I imagine.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've been rock climbing on a first date before, it was awkward at first. I had never been rock climbing before that and don't really like heights. Well it turned out to be a lot of fun, but at the end of the date it felt more like she was a work out buddy than a love interest. I probably wouldn't do that on a first date again.
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

95% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I don't believe this is a valid statistic even if it could be legit, its assuming that its a direct correlation between cohabitation and eventual divorce. but there are soooo many variables involved in a failing marriage. the divorce rate has increased dramatically over the last 2 decades. So while cohabitation may possibly be argued as a factor in eventual divorce it is FAR from the cause leading up to it.

Statistics are very easily created and manipulated all the time to sway public opinion toward their favor. And this sounds very much like religion and traditionalism attempting to turn us against cohabitation.

Marriage is NOT an easy thing by any means and is far overly romanticized! Being with someone constantly and never finding relief apart from them is very difficult to adapt to and its very often a great source of stress early on in any marriage without precohabitation.