Progress Photos

Options

Replies

• bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    All of you ladies look fantastically smashing! Tomorrow is my second day of SL.
    Keep lifting heavy things, ladies! (*)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Hey peeps! For some reason, most of the photos won't load for me right now.

I was just wondering, what kind of results could I expect to see in about 5 months? I just got engaged yesterday :) I'm happy with my body as is, so don't worry about me expecting crazy results or anything, I was just wondering if someone could describe the typical results... mostly in the hamstring/bum region hahah. I have a relatively flat bum and not overly strong looking hamstrings.

I'm 6 lbs away from my goal weight (current bmi 21.3, goal bmi of 20.4 without having lifted weights so bmi goal could very well be different with SL5x5) , I'd like to still eat at a deficit until I'm there... but I'm not sure if that would be counter productive! Thoughts?

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great pics ladies!! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us!! I just finished NROLFW and am trying to decide what to do next. Leaning toward SL 5x5. Even more so now! ;)
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately go to Planet Fitness where they have smith machines. What do you all think of doing these exercises on those? Are they effective?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    This question would probably do better in the regular forum posts as sometimes people don't check the sticky ones as some are a little outdated now (and this one is technically for progress photos). But I'll answer with my limited knowledge up to this point anyways.

It is workable but not the best option. I've seen people even deadlift with the smith machine, so it can be used for a few different lifts, but the machine does affect a few things. It dictates the bar path, making your motion have to follow the only path it can travel, which can be a challenge as different body shapes will have a different squat to varying degrees. Like some of the other machines, it takes away some of the effort required to stabilize the weight during the move and the lbs lifted won't translate exact when switching over to barbells or dumbbells because of the support it provides. I tried once but didn't like the feel of it and that was back when I first started lifting.

Sometimes you've got to use what is available, so if it's all you have then you can possibly make it work for now but it's going to be a challenge and you have to be aware that if/when you move on to somewhere else that there is going to be a difference between lifting with the smith machine and lifting with the regular bar.

PF is going to be a difficult gym for any lifting program because all of the programs are geared around something that goes against their general platform. It's obvious in how they market, their commercials and the sales approach. Not jabbing or trying to make them look bad, it is just the approach they have chosen to take, which involves trying to provide a fitness location that is not "intimidating." Weightlifting (especially heavy lifting), intense classes like zumba and yoga (though not sure why those two are picked out in particular), and such are considered intimidating.

I took a tour of the one that is near the gym I attend because, sure 10 dollars a month would be nice cause I'm on a super tight budget living paycheck to paycheck. Though the startup fee was a bit high and I kind of wondered about the yearly membership maintenance fee that was on the pricing papers he gave me, in general it's a pretty good deal when it comes to price. However, he even stated from the beginning that it isn't for heavy weightlifting. Though I still think he should work on the pitch because it was almost in the same sentence as the whole "no judgement" where he went on to say so "no body building or heavy weightlifting." I don't even know if it had a smith machine because he showed me everything but the corner that held the dumbbells. Anyways, so programs like Stronglifts are going to be difficult at that gym because it's not part of their fitness focus. Some locations vary but that's the general rule of thumb with that gym and they designed it that way on purpose.

Still great that people workout there (best part of the tour in fact).
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    This question would probably do better in the regular forum posts as sometimes people don't check the sticky ones as some are a little outdated now (and this one is technically for progress photos). But I'll answer with my limited knowledge up to this point anyways.

It is workable but not the best option. I've seen people even deadlift with the smith machine, so it can be used for a few different lifts, but the machine does affect a few things. It dictates the bar path, making your motion have to follow the only path it can travel, which can be a challenge as different body shapes will have a different squat to varying degrees. Like some of the other machines, it takes away some of the effort required to stabilize the weight during the move and the lbs lifted won't translate exact when switching over to barbells or dumbbells because of the support it provides. I tried once but didn't like the feel of it and that was back when I first started lifting.

Sometimes you've got to use what is available, so if it's all you have then you can possibly make it work for now but it's going to be a challenge and you have to be aware that if/when you move on to somewhere else that there is going to be a difference between lifting with the smith machine and lifting with the regular bar.

PF is going to be a difficult gym for any lifting program because all of the programs are geared around something that goes against their general platform. It's obvious in how they market, their commercials and the sales approach. Not jabbing or trying to make them look bad, it is just the approach they have chosen to take, which involves trying to provide a fitness location that is not "intimidating." Weightlifting (especially heavy lifting), intense classes like zumba and yoga (though not sure why those two are picked out in particular), and such are considered intimidating.

I took a tour of the one that is near the gym I attend because, sure 10 dollars a month would be nice cause I'm on a super tight budget living paycheck to paycheck. Though the startup fee was a bit high and I kind of wondered about the yearly membership maintenance fee that was on the pricing papers he gave me, in general it's a pretty good deal when it comes to price. However, he even stated from the beginning that it isn't for heavy weightlifting. Though I still think he should work on the pitch because it was almost in the same sentence as the whole "no judgement" where he went on to say so "no body building or heavy weightlifting." I don't even know if it had a smith machine because he showed me everything but the corner that held the dumbbells. Anyways, so programs like Stronglifts are going to be difficult at that gym because it's not part of their fitness focus. Some locations vary but that's the general rule of thumb with that gym and they designed it that way on purpose.

Still great that people workout there (best part of the tour in fact).

Thank you! I'll probably stick with PF until finances get a little bit better and I can switch to another gym. The other gyms in the area are triple the price.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You all look wonderful! Love seeing your progress! I start 5x5 tomorrow!!!
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Okay I'll try to post a before and after picture on here . I have been doing the stronglifts 5x5 for about a month and a half. I have noticed my lower half has toned up a lot as you see in the pictures and I have built up muscle in my lower half, but my arms I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. Have been working out and I have been maintaining 3 days of cardio about 4 miles on those days. I try to eat the right amount of protein which is around a hundred grams a day. I'm trying to eat at maintenance which is about 17 10 a day
  • ajwall3
    Options
    How do I post pics on here? Grrr
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I believe the pictures have to be put on a photo sharing site first and then an img link.

This explains better: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/538992
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I believe the pictures have to be put on a photo sharing site first and then an img link.

This explains better: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/538992

They actually don't have to be any more. You can use the folded paper icon in the post options (above the text box) and either drag and drop files or use the browse function to attach the photos. It embeds them directly into the post.
  • ajwall3
    Options
    Still not finding it. I don't have a icon like that... Thanks anyway! :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    Still not finding it. I don't have a icon like that... Thanks anyway! :)

From what I can tell, it may not be available on the phone app, but it's on the website.
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did the 12 week challenge at my gym. Lost 13 lbs total and 5% body fat. I do SL and twice a week I do some kind of cardio (HIIT, hiking or running).

06r8dw90204a.jpg
    dxsulgc1hgv6.jpg
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My first time posting pictures, did they work?
    I could not flex because of the gym contest, next set of pictures I will!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    They worked. Very nice. Good job!

One of these days I'll have ones worthy of posting.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm starting next monday with a coworker! Truly inspired by you, girls!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I made this collage last week. The pictures aren't great, I apologize for that. THe pics on the left are from last July. The pics on the right are from last week. I've only been lifting heavy for almost 7 months now (started the very end of Sept 2014). These kind of show the progress I've made just in my legs/bum area. ETA: I'm probably 5-10 pounds heavier in the right pics.
    2hwp6s1.jpg
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Another progress photo. The photo on the left was taken almost a year ago. I was lifting at the time, but I wasn't lifting heavy. The photo on the right was taken this month (can't remember the exact date). The photo on the right is after 6-7 months after I started lifting heavy via Stronglifts.
    33kc8qq.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Very nice! :smiley: