5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    and the two minute stretching. which ever way I run it always works out to be on the busiest part of the road.

Is that something they add in later or do you mean at the end when Dr. Myers tells you to be sure to stretch? I always just keep walking until I get home or back to my car and do it then.

In week 3 they start giving you longer FF runs at the end broken up by 2 minutes of stretching. I'm naughty, I typically save my heel lifts/knee raises/etc for after the w/o is done and then I do them all at once. It's too hard to stop and do them on days when I'm on the treadmill. I usually just continue what the last thing was before the cue to change and then I pick up with whatever activity it calls for after the exercise.

I used to do the heel lifts etc at the correct time. But in week 5 changed up and now do those drills with my other workout, later in the day, like SB. I do my heel lifts holding weights at this point. Need to get those calves strong!

Sorry to hear about your kitty SB. I know how hard that is first hand.

In other news.... I completed week 5 today.
    I ran a couple times this week, not using the app.
    I found that going to the gym and running on the treadmill without concentrating on the mission, helped me to improve my pace, breathing and general form.

I can't wait for week 6!
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    OK, heading out for W8D2! I'm planning to do the final run on Sunday morning. Woohoo!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    W3D3 - just got in but had to share - just managed 5 mins straight running and did 5.15km in 50 mins - had to wait for my son at one point.

But 5 mins straight - if somone had even said Monday that I could do 5 mins i would have laughed.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    No one here would have laughed. We know you can do it, and you just proved us right!

And we know you can do it again. :smile:
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    W3D3 - just got in but had to share - just managed 5 mins straight running and did 5.15km in 50 mins - had to wait for my son at one point.

But 5 mins straight - if somone had even said Monday that I could do 5 mins i would have laughed.

Nice job Flab! I just accomplished this, this past week. It felt awesome, didn't it?

*virtual ^High5
  • QJ2013
    QJ2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OK, heading out for W8D2! I'm planning to do the final run on Sunday morning. Woohoo!

Good luck! What a great feeling to do the final run!

WTG! Love those hurdles. I just did W6,D1 and was intimidated by the 7 minute free form runs. Couldn't believe I didn't have to stop! Great job!
  • dragon1ady
    Options

So... how did it go?
  • pduk
    pduk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd been wondering that too. Maybe... the zombies got her? No, it can't be!
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm here, not dead!

My husband requested a coffee and bocce ball date on Sunday morning, so my run ended up not happening. I'm doing it this evening instead. I will report back tonight and let you know how it went!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I'm here, not dead!

My husband requested a coffee and bocce ball date on Sunday morning, so my run ended up not happening. I'm doing it this evening instead. I will report back tonight and let you know how it went!

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I'm here, not dead!

Your Cheering Section is ready, willing and able, in Abel! Go Runner 5, Go!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I finished my final mission a few days ago. Wasnt able to run the whole thing. I ran the first mile then had to walk/run the rest. The week i had to take off due to my Parolean tendon. Tomorrow im starting with the regular c25k by Active so i can ease back in.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I finished my final mission a few days ago. Wasnt able to run the whole thing. I ran the first mile then had to walk/run the rest. The week i had to take off due to my Parolean tendon. Tomorrow im starting with the regular c25k by Active so i can ease back in.

That's great chellebublz! Congrats on the finish!
    The whole 3k will come in time. I'm thinking I may wind up about the same.
    But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

My anxiety attacks have creep-ed back to the surface this past week. I hate feeling like I'm going to drop dead on the sidewalk, when I know d@mn well, I'm not going to drop dead on the sidewalk. I really thought I had a handle on the exercise induced attacks. But ho hum. I've beat them before. I'll do it again.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

My anxiety attacks have creep-ed back to the surface this past week. I hate feeling like I'm going to drop dead on the sidewalk, when I know d@mn well, I'm not going to drop dead on the sidewalk. I really thought I had a handle on the exercise induced attacks. But ho hum. I've beat them before. I'll do it again.

Hope you get over the attacks - one bonus is that you know you have done it in the past and can do it again. Its a pity its affecting you as I've found running great for anxiety.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Did W4D1 yesterday - seems a bit like a step backwards although my average is still around 9.35 a km which is great with all the walking. Managed another 5 min run (at the start) although could not manage more than 4 on the free from bit - although walking gaps getting shorter.

One thing I'm struggling with is finding somewhere to run as my route gets longer - living in Yorkshire and in a valley most of routes will have to be uphill if they get any longer.
  • FakingFitness
    Options

Hope you get over the attacks - one bonus is that you know you have done it in the past and can do it again. Its a pity its affecting you as I've found running great for anxiety.

The annoying part is... my 'sane brain' knows it's nonsense. But, knowing it and controlling it are 2 different things.
    On the whole, the running (and working out in general) has been a huge help with the anxiety. I just have to figure out how to beat it again.

Can you use google maps or something to figure out a good route that is 3k? I live in a pretty flat area, but it's city. So, there are areas I don't want to be in. I spent some time on the route section of runtastic and came up with several good ways to go that kept me in a 3.5 mile radios of my front door.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Did W4D1 yesterday - seems a bit like a step backwards although my average is still around 9.35 a km which is great with all the walking. Managed another 5 min run (at the start) although could not manage more than 4 on the free from bit - although walking gaps getting shorter.

One thing I'm struggling with is finding somewhere to run as my route gets longer - living in Yorkshire and in a valley most of routes will have to be uphill if they get any longer.

Week 4 felt like a step backwards for me too, but at that time I wasn't running the free forms. That is the week I started running the whole free form run and things fell right into place. Really wish I"d been trying to run them the whole time lol then maybe i'd be in better shape now after finishing!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    The annoying part is... my 'sane brain' knows it's nonsense. But, knowing it and controlling it are 2 different things.
    On the whole, the running (and working out in general) has been a huge help with the anxiety. I just have to figure out how to beat it again.

Please ignore this question if it's completely inane, but what worked to beat it last time? Do that again?
    Can you use google maps or something to figure out a good route that is 3k? I live in a pretty flat area, but it's city. So, there are areas I don't want to be in. I spent some time on the route section of runtastic and came up with several good ways to go that kept me in a 3.5 mile radios of my front door.

I've done that, for the same reasons. Living in a suburban area outside a relatively small city there are all these park-type areas that I really am not comfortable running through in the dark evenings, particularly not now that I can't take the dog. So I looked up routes, told my husband where I'd be, and all that other good stuff you're supposed to do as precautions.

Also keep in mind, if all you can find that's safe is a 2-mile route, you can run it twice for a 4-mile run.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I'm loving Google maps for this reason - dont always show little foot paths that exist but been doing bit of exploring. We have a canal near us that I might start running down to - think I'll get hubby to walk that way first.

I do worry about security as live on the outskirts of a major city although crime is pretty low and i have my son with me.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Crime is very low in this area as well, but I'd rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough. The streets around our subdivision tend to stay busy in the evenings, so I run along there now. Traffic and lights are our friends! :smile: